What's new

Kino-Lorber Insider Announcement Thread (Read Guidelines Post #3) (29 Viewers)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Sunday's Facebook Announcement:

Coming 2020!

The Secret War of Harry Frigg (1968) Starring Paul Newman, Sylva Koscina, Andrew Duggan, Tom Bosley, John Williams, Charles Gray, Vito Scotti, James Gregory, Norman Fell & Buck Henry – Shot by Russell Metty (Man Without a Star, The Female Animal, Captain Newman, M.D.) – Directed by Jack Smight (Harper, Kaleidoscope, No Way to Treat a Lady).

Image may contain: 1 person, text that says 'It's not who you con. it's how you do it! PAUL NEWMAN IS HARRY FRIGG UNIVERSAL PAUL NEWMAN The Secret War of HARRY FRIGG SYLVA KOSCINA. JAME AUNIVERSAL PICTURE'

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Sunday's Facebook Announcement:

Coming 2020!

The Secret War of Harry Frigg (1968) Starring Paul Newman, Sylva Koscina, Andrew Duggan, Tom Bosley, John Williams, Charles Gray, Vito Scotti, James Gregory, Norman Fell & Buck Henry – Shot by Russell Metty (Man Without a Star, The Female Animal, Captain Newman, M.D.) – Directed by Jack Smight (Harper, Kaleidoscope, No Way to Treat a Lady).

Image may contain: 1 person, text that says 'It's not who you con. it's how you do it! PAUL NEWMAN IS HARRY FRIGG UNIVERSAL PAUL NEWMAN The Secret War of HARRY FRIGG SYLVA KOSCINA. JAME AUNIVERSAL PICTURE''It's not who you con. it's how you do it! PAUL NEWMAN IS HARRY FRIGG UNIVERSAL PAUL NEWMAN The Secret War of HARRY FRIGG SYLVA KOSCINA. JAME AUNIVERSAL PICTURE'
Tom Bosley and Peter Stone. For me.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
I saw it when it came out. I remember it being a WWII POW escape comedy, with Paul Newman's character not unlike the "scrounger" played by James Garner in "The Great Escape", though a lot more low key. It's competent, pleasant, but not exactly memorable. A decent time passer. I enjoyed it while I was watching it, though the plot was thin. Newman is a lot of fun. He gives a slow-burning comic performance, and his interactions with Sylva Koscina are pretty good. I also recall liking the photography by Russell Metty, though this was when Universal was trying to save money and using two-perf Techniscope, so it was very grainy. Though IMDB states it was shot at Sierra Madre, the POW camp looked suspiciously like Universal City.

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
It's not a great movie. But it's enjoyable enough. I like films set during WW2. Newman is fine in this film. But what makes this film for me are the supporting players and Sylva Koscina. Since the first time i saw Hercules i have been enamored with her. I could watch her read a book and enjoy it.

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Coming October 6th!

The Face at the Window (1939)
• Brand New 4K Master
• NEW Audio Commentary by Film Historian/Author Jean-Claude Michel
• Image Gallery
• Trailers
• Optional English Subtitles

“You find yourself immediately—from the ingenious titling on—in the grip of the fine firm traditional dialogue, the magnificent casting, sets and camerawork which plank you surely back into that vague Victorian period when anything might happen.” – Graham Greene

B&W 65 Minutes 1.37:1 Not Rated

Murder, disguise, lurking figures, secret chambers and mad scientists are brought to cinematic life in this British chiller that boasts the maniacal talents of the legendary actor Tod Slaughter (Crimes at the Dark House). The Face at the Window is a tale of Paris in 1880, under the curse of Le Loup… The Wolf, a creeping murderer that allows its victims a glimpse of its deranged, drooling face, just before plunging a dagger into their backs. Caught in the center of this intrigue is a pair of lovers—Lucien and Cecile, who are not only threatened by the wolf, but by the lecherous Chevalier Del Gardo (Slaughter), who plans to capitalize on the wolf scare to ensnare the beautiful Cecile. Thanks to Slaughter’s eerie presence, startling makeup and wonderful direction by George King (The Frightened Lady), The Face at the Window is a rare example of the British horror film of the 1930s, more traditional in form than its American counterpart, but no less effective in unnerving its audience.

738329250669.jpg

Last edited:

disctrip

Supporting Actor
Real Name
hank freitas
I did not know there were multiple cuts. The movie has never been released on home video in the U.S., not even VHS, so I don't know where you're getting your information from.
When it was shown on network TV, the violence and some gay subtext was always cut out. Even some DVD-r copies sold during the 90's was always the TV version. That is what I was referring to.

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Our LAZY HAZY CRAZY SUMMER SALE Continues!
Sale Ends on August 3rd!

Over 500 Titles

And Don’t Forget About Our "WHILE SUPPLIES LAST SALE”!
Over 200 Titles!

FREE USA SHIPPING - Orders of $50 or More!

klsc.jpg

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Doctor Who and the Daleks

The two Amicus, Peter Cushing Doctor Who and Daleks Movies have a checkered history on DVD and Blu-ray. While recent transfers of the pictures have been very successful, transfers of the archive magnetic films of the soundtrack (which are not even the final theatrical mixes) have been less than successful as the materials deteriorate. For this release, Mark Ayres has created what may hopefully be considered the definitive master, combining recent transfers with ones made in 1996 when he was working on the “Dalekmania” documentary, making sure that all dialogue, effects and music are present, intact, and clearly audible. “It’s been a privilege and a delight to work with Kino on this release of two of my favourite films from my childhood." - Mark Ayers

drwho.jpg

Mark Ayres is a composer, sound designer, arranger, mixer and mastering engineer.

With a lifelong interest in film, music and electronics, Mark started his professional life as a sound engineer at UK breakfast television station TVam before turning freelance five years later. He created incidental music for Doctor Who in the 1980s during Sylvester McCoy’s tenure, for stories "The Greatest Show in the Galaxy", "Ghost Light" and "The Curse of Fenric". More recently he wrote the music for, sound-designed and mixed the reconstructed 'lost' Tom Baker adventure, "Shada". He has composed for television and film including scores for 1996 feature "The Innocent Sleep" (a mafia thriller starring Rupert Graves, Annabella Sciorra and Michael Gambon) and the more recent "Scar Tissue". He was involved in the BBC Radiophonic Workshop’s final days and went on to become their archivist; his devotion to the Radiophonic Workshop after Doctor Who ceased broadcasting in 1989 proved vital in regenerating interest in their work, and he is now the driving force behind their live revival on the festival circuit and in the creation of new works including the score for Matthew Holness' disturbing psychological horror film, "Possum". His work remastering classic television programmes including Doctor Who, Quatermass, and the films of Ken Russell and Alan Clarke for broadcast, DVD and Blu-ray, including 5.1 remixes of many titles, has been highly acclaimed.

Mark is a director of the Ivors Academy of Music Creators, and chairs their Media Music Committee.

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Coming October 6th!
Three Newly Restored Action Films Starring George Peppard!

P.J. (1968)
• Brand New 2K Master
• NEW Audio Commentary by Film Historians Howard S. Berger and Steve Mitchell
• Image Gallery
• Theatrical Trailer
• Dual-Layered BD50 Disc

Color 109 Minutes 2.35:1 Not Rated
From John Guillerman, the outstanding director of The Blue Max, The Bridge at Remagen, Skyjacked, The Towering Inferno, King Kong and Death on the Nile, comes this thrilling private eye mystery in the tradition of Harper and The Long Goodbye. A down-on-his luck New York private eye P.J. Detweiler (George Peppard, Cannon for Cordoba) takes a bodyguard job to protect Maureen Preble (Gayle Hunnicutt, Marlowe), the mistress of a shady millionaire William Orbison (Raymond Burr, Rear Window) and gets involved in conspiracy and murder after Orbison’s business partner is gunned down and P.J. is framed for his murder. It becomes clear to P.J. that he’s been set up and after his release by the authorities, he makes it back to New York and confronts the masterminds of the plot. Beautifully shot in CinemaScope by Loyal Griggs (Shane) with a memorable score by Neil Hefti (Duel at Diablo). The wonderful supporting cast includes Brock Peters (Framed), Wilfrid Hyde-White (The Third Man), Coleen Gray (Kiss of Death), Susan Saint James (Love at First Bite) and Anthony James (High Plains Drifter).

The Groundstar Conspiracy (1972)
• Brand New 2K Master
• NEW Audio Commentary by Film Historian/Filmmaker Daniel Kremer and Film Critic Scout Tafoya
• Theatrical Trailer
• Dual-Layered BD50 Disc

Color 95 Minutes 2.35:1 Rated PG
THE FUSE IT LIT! THE TRAP IS SET! THE EXPLOSIVE CONSPIRACY HAS BEGUN!
From Lamont Johnson, the director of A Covenant with Death, The McKenzie Break, Lipstick and Cattle Annie and Little Britches, comes this exciting espionage thriller starring George Peppard (Rough Night in Jericho) and Michael Sarrazin (The Reincarnation of Peter Proud). A violent blast destroys the U.S. government's top-secret Groundstar Research Complex, and six high ranking scientists are incinerated. The saboteur, employee John David Welles (Sarrazin), is found barely alive and clutching stolen national security documents. But when ruthless government investigator Tuxan (Peppard) is assigned to the case, he discovers that Welles's memory has been mysteriously erased. Welles escapes from federal custody, and Tuxan pursues the fugitive in a dangerous game of cat and mouse. With the help of Nicole Devon (Christine Belford, Pocket Money), a beautiful young woman, Welles begins to piece together the truth about his own shocking past. Is he an enemy spy responsible for the Groundstar massacre or an innocent pawn in the deadliest conspiracy of all? Beautifully shot in CinemaScope by Michael Reed (On Her Majesty’s Secret Service) and co-starring James Olson (The Andromeda Strain), Cliff Potts (Silent Running) and Tim O’Connor (Buck Rogers in the 25th Century).

Newman’s Law (1974)
• Brand New 2K Master
• NEW Audio Commentary by Film Historian and Critic Peter Tonguette
• 4 Radio Spots
• Theatrical Trailer
• Dual-Layered BD50 Disc

Color 98 Minutes 1.85:1 Rated PG
From Richard T. Heffron, the director Trackdown, Futureworld, Foolin’ Around and I, the Jury, comes this action-packed thriller starring George Peppard (Tobruk) as an honest L.A. cop battling criminals and corrupt policemen in his own precinct. Caught between crime rings and his own superiors, most cops would play it by the book—but Newman (Peppard) wrote his own. Newman is a no-nonsense inner-city detective who will stop at nothing to clear his name, when a gang of international dope peddlers frame him for bribery and murder. Once on the vengeance trail, Newman faces death at every turn, as his enemies attempt to put the self-appointed judge, jury and executioner in their gun sights. Co-starring Roger Robinson (Willie Dynamite), Eugene Roche (Foul Play), Gordon Pinsent (Away from Her), Abe Vigota (Barney Miller), Michael Lerner (Busting) and Mel Stewart (Trick Baby), this badass 70s actioner offers a gritty look at real justice, known on the street as Newman’s Law.

Peppard.jpg

Last edited:

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Coming October 6th!
Three Newly Restored Action Films Starring George Peppard!

P.J. (1968)
• Brand New 2K Master
• NEW Audio Commentary by Film Historians Howard S. Berger and Steve Mitchell
• Image Gallery
• Theatrical Trailer
• Dual-Layered BD50 Disc

Color 109 Minutes 2.35:1 Not Rated
From John Guillerman, the outstanding director of The Blue Max, The Bridge at Remagen, Skyjacked, The Towering Inferno, King Kong and Death on the Nile, comes this thrilling private eye mystery in the tradition of Harper and The Long Goodbye. A down-on-his luck New York private eye P.J. Detweiler (George Peppard, Cannon for Cordoba) takes a bodyguard job to protect Maureen Preble (Gayle Hunnicutt, Marlowe), the mistress of a shady millionaire William Orbison (Raymond Burr, Rear Window) and gets involved in conspiracy and murder after Orbison’s business partner is gunned down and P.J. is framed for his murder. It becomes clear to P.J. that he’s been set up and after his release by the authorities, he makes it back to New York and confronts the masterminds of the plot. Beautifully shot in CinemaScope by Loyal Griggs (Shane) with a memorable score by Neil Hefti (Duel at Diablo). The wonderful supporting cast includes Brock Peters (Framed), Wilfrid Hyde-White (The Third Man), Coleen Gray (Kiss of Death), Susan Saint James (Love at First Bite) and Anthony James (High Plains Drifter).
I'm very pleased about this release. i saw the film when it first came out and then a couple more times in re-run theaters. It's a pretty good film with one gruesome death scene. Gayle Hunnicut is so excellent as a kept woman that I was always puzzled she did not become a big star. Those who know Raymond Burr only from Perry Mason may be surprised at his role in this film.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks