Kino Lorber Insider (Read Guidelines Post #3)

Billy Batson

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
The Devils is with Warner last I heard, and is often rumored to be a Criterion release, but internet rumors are a dime a dozen
Ha, yeah, especially internet rumors about Criterion having this or that film. If they're all true, they have about 10,000 films to release!

Barnduke98

Agent
Real Name
Alex Thieu.
Any Chance of Once Upon a Horse... and The Saga of Hemp Brown universal western 1958 fiml they're especially rumors about never been released home media video KIno? also horror the cat creeps 1946 might be another rare obscure horror.

Attachments

Dan Cooper

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan
Ball Of Fire is part of the Goldwyn library which resides with Warners.
Which means there is zero chance on any Godwyn title getting released on blu ray. Warner has their hands full just getting their own titles released. Warner only has deals with Criterion and kino has never had and deal with warner.

My advice to anyone is just be very happy with your dvds of the westerner, pride the yankees ball of fire ect. I know i am. My latest dvd of the westerner that was fully restored on the last mgm release 10 years ago looks better upscaled than most of my blu rays from that time period. I was so happy with that restoration i bought 5 copies of it at the walmart bargain bin for under 5 dollars 10 years ago. If you saw and owned the previous release of that film on dvd that scalpers were selling for over 100 dollars you would know what i mean. That release got thown away in the trash bin that was no better than VHS quality.

I have accepted and am content on the fact that over half of my Gary Cooper collection may never be upgraded to blu ray and am very happy to have 28 of his movies on blu ray. Perhaps 29 if kino comes through on one more title "Desire" on this second universal deal. I just pick up blu rays of his films as they are released over the years. Maybe kino criterion or masters of cinema will release more some day but if not i have them all on dvd. This is how i approach all movies from classic Hollywood. Very seldom from back then is a blu ray bought by me that is not already an upgrade as i pretty much have them all. Dont know how many dvds i got but i would say around 10000 if 60s tv shows are included.

Last edited:
Reactions: timk1041 and Mysto

jayembee

Second Unit
Real Name
Jerry
Which means there is zero chance on any Godwyn title getting released on blu ray. Warner has their hands full just getting their own titles released. Warner only has deals with Criterion and kino has never had and deal with warner.
Warner has released four Goldwyn titles on Blu-ray: The Bishop's Wife, The Best Years of Our Lives, Guys and Dolls, and Hans Christian Anderson. The latter two have also been re-released on Blu-ray through Warner Archive Collection in the past six months.

Robert Crawford

Real Name
Robert
Saturday's Facebook Announcement:

Coming Soon!

The Wild Life (1984) Starring Chris Penn, Lea Thompson, Eric Stoltz, Ian Mitchell-Smith, Jenny Wright, Rick Moranis, Hart Bochner, Randy Quaid, Sherilyn Fenn, Michael Bowen, Lee Ving, Kevin Peter Hall & Ben Stein – Shot by James Glennon (Up the Creek, Flight of the Navigator) – Produced & Written by Cameron Crowe (Fast Times at Ridgemont High, Say Anything, Jerry Maguire, Almost Famous) – Directed by Art Linson (Where the Buffalo Roam).

Image may contain: 6 people

Dick

Lead Actor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Certainly some fine Universal titles coming, but also a lot of (imo) pretty minor fare. Probably Kino had to take the lesser with the better as part of the package. But there are still a few major titles from that studio that remain mia. One of them, AT PLAY IN THE FIELDS OF THE LORD, has been ignored since the laser disc days, and that was a pan-and-scan mess. Any chance, Mr. Insider?

JoelA

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Arndt
Warner has released four Goldwyn titles on Blu-ray: The Bishop's Wife, The Best Years of Our Lives, Guys and Dolls, and Hans Christian Anderson. The latter two have also been re-released on Blu-ray through Warner Archive Collection in the past six months.
Dodsworth, also.

timk1041

Second Unit
Real Name
Timothy
I hope one of those comedies is: View attachment 75312
Yes. I think that be great. It is one of several Universal titles from the 60s that I would like to see released. I posted my list a couple times and here it is again: The Lively Set, Tammy & The Millionaire, Love & Kisses, Wild Wild Winter, A Man Could Get Killed, Bus Riley's Back In Town, I'd Rather Be Rich and Fluffy. Just about all of these have never been commercially released in any format.

Robert Crawford

Real Name
Robert
Sunday's Facebook Announcement:

Coming Soon!

Brand New 2K Master!

Desire (1936) Starring Marlene Dietrich, Gary Cooper, William Frawley, Akim Tamiroff & Alan Mowbray – Shot by Charles Lang (Angel, Desert Fury, The Big Heat) – Produced by Ernst Lubitsch (The Merry Widow, Bluebeard’s Eighth Wife) – Screenplay by Edwin Justus Mayer (To Be or Not to Be), Waldemar Young (Love Me Tonight) & Samuel Hoffenstein (Laura) – Produced & Directed by Frank Borzage (Bad Girl, The Mortal Storm, Moonrise).

Image may contain: 1 person, text

TheSteig

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
Dear Kino insider,
any release date for Samson Vs. the Vampires yet?
I believe the KL rep said 2021 - either here and in another forum

Id like to know the status of it too, as well as Number Seventeen and the other Hitchcock titles ! Ive been looking forward to them for over a year now. Of course last year we didnt have a pandemic which has affected releases/release dates of many titles from labels

Reactions: Konstantinos

Corn Pop

Grip
Real Name
Jason
I have really enjoyed the recent Carol Reed film releases from Kino Lorber such as Outcast of the Islands and The Man Between. Is there any chance that you might release the Carol Reed film "Our Man in Havana"? I think that it is one of Carol Reed's very best films for sure and it is a brilliant Cold War political satire amd Graham Greene novel adaptation. The fact that it was shot in Cuba two months after Castro came to power would probably make for a very interesting audio commentary track and special feature. Fidel Castro visited and watched them shooting the film in Havana.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ForsyDia