Kino Lorber Insider (Read Guidelines Post #3)

bujaki

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I've seen the film before but I'm hoping this will be in a beautiful Technicolor print (or as close as).

Robert Crawford

Real Name
Robert
Sunday's Facebook Announcement:

Coming Soon!

Brand New 2K Master!

Dark Intruder (1965) Starring Leslie Nielsen, Mark Richman, Judi Meredith, Werner Klemperer, Peter Brocco & Al Lettieri – Shot by John F. Warren (Torn Curtin) – Music by Lalo Schifrin (Mission: Impossible) – Written by Barré Lyndon (The War of the Worlds) – Directed by Harvey Hart (Shoot).

Image may contain: 4 people, text

timk1041

Second Unit
Real Name
Timothy
Sunday's Facebook Announcement:

Coming Soon!

Brand New 2K Master!

Dark Intruder (1965) Starring Leslie Nielsen, Mark Richman, Judi Meredith, Werner Klemperer, Peter Brocco & Al Lettieri – Shot by John F. Warren (Torn Curtin) – Music by Lalo Schifrin (Mission: Impossible) – Written by Barré Lyndon (The War of the Worlds) – Directed by Harvey Hart (Shoot).

Image may contain: 4 people, text
Not familiar with this one. I read in Leonard Maltin's Movie & Video Guide that this is originally from a TV pilot. It is barely an hour long.

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Insider
Real Name
Insider
Coming September 29th!

Crackers (1984)
• Audio Commentary by Film Historian/Filmmaker Daniel Kremer and Film Critic Scout Tafoya
• Theatrical Trailer
• Dual-Layered BD50 Disc
• Optional English Subtitles

Color 91 Minutes 1.85:1 Rated PG
From Louis Malle, the acclaimed director of Elevator to the Gallows, Viva Maria!, Atlantic City, Au Revoir les Enfants and Vanya on 42nd Street, comes this wonderful remake of the classic Italian comedy caper Big Deal on Madonna Street, starring Donald Sutherland (Klute), Sean Penn (Mystic River), Jack Warden (Billy Two Hats), Wallace Shawn (My Dinner with Andre) and Christine Baranski (TV’s The Good Fight). Crackers features a bunch of crazy, off-the-wall characters who would buy the American Dream... if only they could afford the down payment! There’s Weslake (Sutherland), out of work but never short of hope; Boardwalk (Larry Riley), a pimp with a heart of gold and a baby; Ramon (Trinidad Silva), a part-time electrician who specializes in hot-wiring cars; Dillard (Penn), a permanent resident of outer space; Turtle (Shawn), a little guy with a big appetite; and Maxine (Baranski), a diligent meter maid who’s on the make. They’re all “customers” of Melvin Garvey’s (Warden), whose pawn shop holds the answer to their prayers... the gold at the end of the rainbow. With the right direction, they might bungle their way to success... if just one of them knew where they were going! Screenplay by Jeffrey Alan Fiskin (Cutter’s Way, The Pursuit of D.B. Cooper) with gorgeous on-location San Francisco cinematography by the great László Kovács (Easy Rider, Paper Moon).

738329250249.jpg

Last edited:

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Insider
Real Name
Insider
Coming to DVD and Blu-ray September 1st from Kino Classics and the Friedrich-Wilhelm-Murnau-Stiftung!

Black Gravel (1961)
Directed by Helmut Käutner
With Helmut Wildt, Robert Neidhardt, Ingmar Zeisberg, Hans Cossy, Wolfgang Büttner

In this gripping Cold War noir, tensions simmer between residents of a small German village and the soldiers of a U.S. military base. Postwar economic hardship has turned the town of Sohnen into a vice district. The women serve as entertainment for the GIs, while the men struggle for survival in the black market. Helmed by Helmut Käutner (Port of Freedom), Black Gravel is hardboiled cinema at its most cynical, recalling such white-knuckle thrillers as Henri-Georges Clouzot’s The Wages of Fear and Jules Dassin and A.I. Bezzerides’s Thieves’ Highway. Upon its initial release, Black Gravel was criticized for its honest depiction of lingering antisemitism—and the film was re-edited for general release. This Kino Classics edition presents both the uncensored “Premiere” cut and the revised “Distribution” version, both restored by the Friedrich-Wilhelm-Murnau-Stiftung.

Special Features:
• Audio commentary by film historian Olaf Möller
• Includes both the uncensored “Premiere” version and the re-edited “Distribution” version of the film
*Optional English subtitles

BLACK GRAVEL blueband temp.jpg

raphdude

Agent
Dear KL Insider,
Is there any chance you could release two of Carol Burnett's films from Universal, Pete N Tillie (1972) & The Four Seasons (1981)? Thanks!:)

Last edited:

cinemel1

Agent
Real Name
Mel Matsil
Coming September 29th!

Love Me Tonight (1932)
• Brand New 4K Master
• Audio Commentary by Film Historian Miles Kreuger (Founder and President of the Institute of the American Musical)
• Maurice Chevalier sings "Louise"
• Jeanette MacDonald sings "Love Me tonight" (from the Paramount newsreel series HOLLYWOOD ON PARADE)
• Screenplay Excerpts of Deleted Scenes
• Production Documents and Censorship Records
• Theatrical Trailer
• Dual-Layered BD50 Disc

B&W 89 Minutes 1.37:1 Not Rated
From Rouben Mamoulian, the legendary director of City Streets, Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, The Song of Songs, Queen Christina, Becky Sharp, The Mark of Zorro and Silk Stockings, comes a madcap musical tour de force of infectious melody, effortless vivacity and ceaseless invention from first frame to last. Building on a foundation of songs by Rodgers and Hart (Babes in Arms, Pal Joey), Mamoulian shepherds Maurice Chevalier (The Merry Widow) and Jeanette MacDonald (Rose-Marie) through this exuberant romp. Carefree tailor Maurice (Chevalier) leaves a backlot Paris where music literally radiates from every shop, sidewalk and boudoir to collect on a past-due bill at a recalcitrant aristocratic client’s family chateau. Mistaken for royalty, Maurice runs a gauntlet of lunatic blue-bloods, including love-happy Myrna Loy (The Thin Man) and screwball icon Charlie Ruggles (Bringing Up Baby). But it is Princess Jeanette’s (MacDonald) closely guarded heart that Maurice desires and it will take every ounce of his ingenious pluck to woo her without revealing his well-meaning romantic deception.

View attachment 74977
I had never seen this film until I took a film course on musicals while on my sabbatical. The professor showed this the first week. When I saw that Chevalier and MacDonald were in it I scoffed. Then that first long take introducing the main characters and the film’s setting absolutely wowed me. Use of the song Isn’t It Romantic was just perfect. So glad that this will come to blu-ray. I hope it’s a good print because the 16mm print we saw in class wasn’t in great shape.

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Insider
Real Name
Insider
Coming to DVD and Blu-ray September 15th from Kino Lorber!

Tommaso
Directed by Abel Ferrara
Starring Willem Dafoe

Abel Ferrara’s first dramatic feature since 2014’s Pasolini reteams the filmmaker and his frequent lead Willem Dafoe, who delivers a career-best performance as the title character, an older American expat living in Rome with his young wife and their daughter. Disoriented by his past misgivings and subsequent, unexpected blows to his self-esteem, Tommaso wades through this late chapter of his life with an increasingly impaired grasp on reality as he prepares for his next film. Tommaso is easily Ferrara and Dafoe’s most personal and engrossing collaboration to date, a delicately surrealistic work of autofiction marked by the keen sensitivity of two consummate artists. – Film at Lincoln Center

Special features:
*Abel Ferrara interviewed by filmmaker Sean Baker (courtesy of Film at Lincoln Center)
*Booklet essay by film critic Brad Stevens (Blu-ray only)
*Interview with Willem Dafoe (courtesy of Coolidge Corner Theatre)
*Optional English and English SDH subtitles
*Trailers

Tommaso_BR.jpg

Reactions: bujaki

haineshisway

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
The Dark Intruder was indeed a TV pilot for a series called The Black Cloak, produced by Hitchcock's production company. A period piece, Universal released it theatrically because they thought it was too scary for TV. But released theatrically means it played one week as the bottom half of a double bill, the top half of which was William Castle's I Saw What You Did. And yes, it's short - fifty-nine minutes.

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Insider
Real Name
Insider
Coming September 29th!

Gotcha! (1985)
• NEW Audio Commentary by Director Jeff Kanew
• NEW Audio Commentary by Entertainment Journalist and Author Bryan Reesman
• Theatrical Trailer
• Dual-Layered BD50 Disc

Color 101 Minutes 1.85:1 Rated PG-13
HE STARTED OUT TRYING TO SCORE AND ENDED UP BEING A TARGET!
From Jeff Kanew, the director of Eddie Macon’s Run, Revenge of the Nerds, Tough Guys and V.I. Warshawski, comes this suspenseful comedy-thriller starring Anthony Edwards (Miracle Mile) and Linda Fiorentino (The Last Seduction). Jonathan Moore (Edwards) is a shy UCLA veterinary student and the reigning champion at “Gotcha,” a campus-wide paintball game. While on vacation in West Germany, he’s seduced by an older woman, the sexy and mysterious Sasha (Fiorentino) who turns out to be an international spy. When he returns home to L.A., there’s a strange canister of film in his backpack and a team of KGB agents on his back. Suddenly he’s in the middle of a real life-or-death game of “Gotcha,” and every turn brings a brand new and often hilarious twist. Co-starring Jsu Garcia (A Nightmare on Elm Street), Alex Rocco (The Godfather) and Klaus Löwitsch (Cross of Iron), with a memorable score by Bill Conti (Rocky).

738329250256.jpg

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Insider
Real Name
Insider
Coming to September 22nd from Kino Classics!

Fellini's Casanova (1976)
• Includes both English & Italian Tracks with Optional English subtitles
• Audio commentary by film critic Nick Pinkerton
• Booklet essay by film scholar Alberto Zambenedetti, PhD
• Theatrical Trailer
• Dual-Layered BD50 Disc

The incomparable Federico Fellini (La dolce vita) directs this visually stunning portrait of Casanova, the infamous Italian womanizer, adventurer, author and libertine. In a remarkable performance, Donald Sutherland (Klute) portrays the great seducer not as an amorous anomaly, but an everyday man living in extraordinary times. Featuring dazzling European settings (although it was filmed entirely in Rome), an unforgettable musical score by the great Nino Rota (The Godfather), and Oscar-winning costume design by Danilo Donati (Romeo and Juliet), Fellini's Casanova is a cinematic experience to fall in love with. Fellini and Bernardino Zapponi (City of Women) received Oscar nominations for their adapted screenplay.

82260289_2957618294286871_4730411560491983348_o.jpg

Camps

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tom
KL Insider, I know it gets tiresome if we ask you incessant "Do you have...?" questions, but I'm hoping your Paramount deal remains in place and that the Paramount-owned Regal Productions are part of that... especially 1957's The Unknown Terror. These more obscure widescreen genre titles are ripe for the blu-ray pickings.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bats8711