Kino Lorber Insider (Read Guidelines Post #3)

Billy Batson

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
We haven't shared our new 4K master with Eureka or Universal yet, so...
Ah, that's intriguing. Part of the specs on Amazon UK: "1080p presentation on Blu-ray for the first time ever in the UK from a brand new 4K restoration" - It'll be interesting to see how this pans out.

Last edited:

Bernard McNair

Second Unit
Real Name
Bernard McNair
We watched the KL disc of Endless Night this evening. A very entertaining Agatha Christie mystery. Well worth your time. The disc looked much better in terms of picture quality and sound than I recall several cinema viewings in 1973/1974.
The Bernard Hermann score was excellent.
Thank you, KL.

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Insider
Real Name
Insider
Coming September 29th!

Love Me Tonight (1932)
• Brand New 4K Master
• Audio Commentary by Film Historian Miles Kreuger (Founder and President of the Institute of the American Musical)
• Maurice Chevalier sings "Louise"
• Jeanette MacDonald sings "Love Me tonight" (from the Paramount newsreel series HOLLYWOOD ON PARADE)
• Screenplay Excerpts of Deleted Scenes
• Production Documents and Censorship Records
• Theatrical Trailer
• Dual-Layered BD50 Disc
• Optional English Subtitles

B&W 89 Minutes 1.37:1 Not Rated
From Rouben Mamoulian, the legendary director of City Streets, Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, The Song of Songs, Queen Christina, Becky Sharp, The Mark of Zorro and Silk Stockings, comes a madcap musical tour de force of infectious melody, effortless vivacity and ceaseless invention from first frame to last. Building on a foundation of songs by Rodgers and Hart (Babes in Arms, Pal Joey), Mamoulian shepherds Maurice Chevalier (The Merry Widow) and Jeanette MacDonald (Rose-Marie) through this exuberant romp. Carefree tailor Maurice (Chevalier) leaves a backlot Paris where music literally radiates from every shop, sidewalk and boudoir to collect on a past-due bill at a recalcitrant aristocratic client’s family chateau. Mistaken for royalty, Maurice runs a gauntlet of lunatic blue-bloods, including love-happy Myrna Loy (The Thin Man) and screwball icon Charlie Ruggles (Bringing Up Baby). But it is Princess Jeanette’s (MacDonald) closely guarded heart that Maurice desires and it will take every ounce of his ingenious pluck to woo her without revealing his well-meaning romantic deception.

738329244934.jpg

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor
"Three Graves to Cairo" is my favorite WWII film that was made during WWII. It's a very atypical Wilder, but that doesn't stop it from being a really tense, involving and beautifully made film. Well-constructed too, dramatically and also in terms of characterzation. I think this is where Wilder came into his own as a director. The visually stunning universe Wilder creates isn't that far removed from the worlds Von Sternberg created half a decade earlier on the same lot. I agree with Bruce that Stroheim is amazing in it--very subtle and underplayed--possibly his best performance next to "Grand Illusion".
I've read so much about this film over the years but never got my hands on the DVD. I look forward to rectifying that here. I've also read that Miklós Rózsa's score is quite impressive, and reminiscent of one of my favorites of his works, another WWII film made in 1943 with a desert locale: Sahara, with Humphrey Bogart. I hope that film's absence on BD is rectified someday too.

RichMurphy

Second Unit
Real Name
Rich
Coming September 29th!

Love Me Tonight (1932)
• Brand New 4K Master
• Audio Commentary by Film Historian Miles Kreuger (Founder and President of the Institute of the American Musical)
• Jeanette MacDonald sings "Love Me tonight" (from the Paramount newsreel series HOLLYWOOD ON PARADE)
• Theatrical Trailer
• Dual-Layered BD50 Disc

From Rouben Mamoulian, the legendary director of City Streets, Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, The Song of Songs, Queen Christina, Becky Sharp, The Mark of Zorro and Silk Stockings, comes a madcap musical tour de force of infectious melody, effortless vivacity and ceaseless invention from first frame to last. Building on a foundation of songs by Rodgers and Hart (Babes in Arms, Pal Joey), Mamoulian shepherds Maurice Chevalier (The Merry Widow) and Jeanette MacDonald (Rose-Marie) through this exuberant romp. Carefree tailor Maurice (Chevalier) leaves a backlot Paris where music literally radiates from every shop, sidewalk and boudoir to collect on a past-due bill at a recalcitrant aristocratic client’s family chateau. Mistaken for royalty, Maurice runs a gauntlet of lunatic blue-bloods, including love-happy Myrna Loy (The Thin Man) and screwball icon Charlie Ruggles (Bringing Up Baby). But it is Princess Jeanette’s (MacDonald) closely guarded heart that Maurice desires and it will take every ounce of his ingenious pluck to woo her without revealing his well-meaning romantic deception.

View attachment 74977
I'm so excited, I fell on my flute. ;) I will happily upgrade my Kino DVD.

Garysb

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Coming September 29th!

Love Me Tonight (1932)
• Brand New 4K Master
• Theatrical Trailer
• Dual-Layered BD50 Disc

View attachment 74977
So many films I want are coming this Fall. Glad for the lead time so I can plan putting money aside.

Matt Hough

Director
Reviewer
Real Name
Matt Hough
Coming September 29th!

Love Me Tonight (1932)
• Brand New 4K Master
• Theatrical Trailer
• Dual-Layered BD50 Disc

View attachment 74977
One of the true greats of early sound musical cinema.

timk1041

Second Unit
Real Name
Timothy
Coming September 29th!

Love Me Tonight (1932)
• Brand New 4K Master
• Theatrical Trailer
• Dual-Layered BD50 Disc

View attachment 74977
More fantastic art work! A great selection of classic titles for the next several months! Thank you, Kino!

haineshisway

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
"Three Graves to Cairo" is my favorite WWII film that was made during WWII. It's a very atypical Wilder, but that doesn't stop it from being a really tense, involving and beautifully made film. Well-constructed too, dramatically and also in terms of characterzation. I think this is where Wilder came into his own as a director. The visually stunning universe Wilder creates isn't that far removed from the worlds Von Sternberg created half a decade earlier on the same lot. I agree with Bruce that Stroheim is amazing in it--very subtle and underplayed--possibly his best performance next to "Grand Illusion".
No, Three Graves to Cairo was made by the very interesting director, Otmar von Schmichter, who made something of a name for himself by always making films similar to Mr. Wilder, always having his films come first, but being overshadowed immediately by Wilder's movies. One of the great tragic Hollywood stories. In addition the Three Graves to Cairo, some of his other films are Triple Indemnity, The Found Weekend, Santa Monica Blvd., Stalag 14, Witness for the Defense, Some Like it Tepid, Jack in the Hole, and my favorite, One, Two, Five.

lark144

Screenwriter
Premium
Real Name
mark gross
No, Three Graves to Cairo was made by the very interesting director, Otmar von Schmichter, who made something of a name for himself by always making films similar to Mr. Wilder, always having his films come first, but being overshadowed immediately by Wilder's movies. One of the great tragic Hollywood stories. In addition the Three Graves to Cairo, some of his other films are Triple Indemnity, The Found Weekend, Santa Monica Blvd., Stalag 14, Witness for the Defense, Some Like it Tepid, Jack in the Hole, and my favorite, One, Two, Five.
And here I thought Herr von Schmichter was responsible for that lost masterpiece of soft-core noir which Eddie Muller rhapsodized about in "Dark City", "The Half Naked Weekend". Thanks Bruce for clearing that up.

Hey, I only remember three graves in the Wilder film, but then it's been a long time.

JohnMor

Producer
Premium
Real Name
John Moreland
And my favorite of his films: The Condominium.

Reactions: haineshisway

Robert Crawford

Real Name
Robert
Friday's Facebook Announcement:

Coming Soon!

Bustin’ Loose (1981) Starring Richard Pryor, Cicely Tyson, George Coe, Roy Jenson, Earl Billings & Paul Mooney – Shot by Dennis Dalzell (Hard Country) – Screenplay by Roger L. Simon (The Big Fix) – Based on a Story by Richard Pryor (Blazing Saddles) – Adaptation by Lonne Elder III (Sounder) – Directed by Oz Scott (Black Lightning).
Image may contain: one or more people and text

Robert Crawford

Real Name
Robert
Another Holy Grail title for me!:dance:

Saturday's Facebook Announcement:

Coming Soon!

The Shepherd of the Hills (1941) Starring John Wayne, Betty Field, Harry Carey, Beulah Bondi, Ward Bond, Marjorie Main, Marc Lawrence & John Qualen – Shot by W. Howard Greene (Nothing Sacred) & Charles Lang (The Magnificent Seven) – Written by Grover Jones (The Lives of a Bengal Lancer) & Stuart Anthony (Spawn of the North) – Directed by Henry Hathaway (The Sons of Katie Elder).

Image may contain: 2 people, text

Forum Sponsors

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bawleralter