Kino Lorber Insider (Read Guidelines Post #3)

DeWilson

Effects Supervisor
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
For Kino’s “while supplies last” sale, it means that they will not be restocking those titles after they sell out, and will be on clearance sale until that happens. Some of the titles are on sale because the licensing period is close to ending and Kino will no longer have the right to make or sell them, while others are in the sale because they’ve sold below expectations and Kino is trying to get rid of existing stock and recover at least part of their investment.
There are some decent titles in the sale, as well as some not so decent :)

Josh Steinberg

Film Editor
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
There are some decent titles in the sale, as well as some not so decent :)
There is a lot of good stuff in there that I wish was selling better. There are two W.C. Fields silents that were great at any price but an absolute steal for what they’ve been marked down to. Those two discs are great releases and I’d encourage fans of Fields and/or silent film to check them out.

Todd Erwin

Producer
Reviewer
Real Name
Todd Erwin
For Kino’s “while supplies last” sale, it means that they will not be restocking those titles after they sell out, and will be on clearance sale until that happens. Some of the titles are on sale because the licensing period is close to ending and Kino will no longer have the right to make or sell them, while others are in the sale because they’ve sold below expectations and Kino is trying to get rid of existing stock and recover at least part of their investment.
Shout Factory has been doing the same thing lately.

Reactions: Josh Steinberg

Detour (1945)

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steve
There is a lot of good stuff in there that I wish was selling better. There are two W.C. Fields silents that were great at any price but an absolute steal for what they’ve been marked down to. Those two discs are great releases and I’d encourage fans of Fields and/or silent film to check them out.

I completely agree. The W.C. Field discs are excellent films, with excellent PQ. I pre-ordered them the minute they were announced.

Josh Steinberg

Film Editor
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I completely agree. The W.C. Field discs are excellent films, with excellent PQ. I pre-ordered them the minute they were announced.
If I hadn’t reviewed them they would have been day one purchases for me. Since I’m not reviewing Never Give A Sucker An Even Break, I have my preorder in for that one and am so excited to revisit it in HD!

Reactions: Detour (1945)

Dan Cooper

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan
Which one of the w.c. fields silents is better between running wild and Its an old army game? I already have never give a sucker an even break ordered from deep discount but i need one title to get with the cary grant box set and the eagle and the hawk to get past 50 for free shipping. I got three box sets already ordered from target buy 2 get one free carole lombard, tony curtis and audie murphy. Damn that kino lorber for keeping me broke. Well my new lg 77" tv didnt help matters.

Whatever w.c.fields i dont get will be got with the carol lombard second box set and that other yet unannounced 1936 title. I have a really good warm fuzzy feeling on that unannounced 1936 title but dont want to spoil the surprise for everyone else.

Last edited:

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Insider
Real Name
Insider
Coming September 22nd!

Lord Love a Duck (1966)
• Brand New 2K Master
• Theatrical Trailer
• Dual-Layered BD50 Disc
• Optional English Subtitles

B&W 105 Minutes 1.85:1 Not Rated
Directed, produced and co-written by veteran screenwriter George Axelrod, the acclaimed writer of The Seven Year Itch, Will Success Spoil Rock Hunter?, Breakfast at Tiffany’s, The Manchurian Candidate and The Holcroft Covenant, comes this classic satirical comedy starring Roddy McDowall (Fright Night), Tuesday Weld (Pretty Poison), Lola Albright (The Way West), Ruth Gordon (Harold and Maude) and Harvey Korman (Blazing Saddles). You can’t always get what you want... unless, of course, you’ve got Alan Musgrave (McDowall) on your side! With a special gift for manipulating the outcome of any situation, the high-minded high schooler sets out to help beautiful new girl on campus Barbara Anne (Weld). Trouble is, Barbara Anne wants everything, and Alan’s “help” is making a mess out of everyone’s lives—including hers! Featuring outstanding performances by the whole cast, Lord Love a Duck is a hilarious satire on teen excesses. Beautifully shot in striking black-and-white by the great Daniel L. Fapp (One, Two, Three) with a memorable score by Neal Hefti (Duel at Diablo).

738329247287.jpg

Josh Steinberg

Film Editor
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Which one of the w.c. fields silents is better between running wild and Its an old army game? I already have never give a sucker an even break ordered from deep discount but i need one title to get with the cary grant box set and the eagle and the hawk to get past 50 for free shipping. I got three box sets already ordered from target buy 2 get one free carole lombard, tony curtis and audie murphy. Damn that kino lorber for keeping me broke. Well my new lg 77" tv didnt help matters.

Whatever w.c.fields i dont get will be got with the carol lombard second box set and that other yet unannounced 1936 title. I have a really good warm fuzzy feeling on that unannounced 1936 title but dont want to spoil the surprise for everyone else.
Both silents are really good, but I would give the edge to Running Wild.

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Insider
Real Name
Insider
Coming September 22nd!

The Art of Love (1965)
• Brand New 2K Master
• Audio Commentary by Film Historian and Critic Peter Tonguette
• Theatrical Trailer
• Dual-Layered BD50 Disc

Color 99 Minutes 1.85:1 Not Rated
From Norman Jewison, the legendary director of The Thrill of It All, The Russians Are Coming! The Russians Are Coming!, In the Heat of the Night, The Thomas Crown Affair, Fiddler on the Roof, Rollerball and Moonstruck, comes this hilarious comedy starring James Garner (Support Your Local Sheriff), Dick Van Dyke (Mary Poppins), Elke Sommer (A Shot in the Dark), Angie Dickinson (Rio Bravo), Ethel Merman (Call Me Madam) and Carl Reiner (Ocean’s Eleven). Having failed to establish himself as a painter in Paris, Paul Sloane (Van Dyke) decides to return home to his wealthy girlfriend, Laurie Gibson (Dickinson). His roommate, Casey Barnett (Garner), argues that Paul should fake his own suicide, which will make his paintings much more popular. With Paul presumably dead, demand for his work soars. When Casey grows wealthy selling it off and begins courting Laurie, an angry Paul frames his deceitful friend for his murder. Beautifully shot in Technicolor by the great Russell Metty (Spartacus, Touch of Evil) with a wonderful screenplay by Carl Reiner (The Dick Van Dyke Show, Dead Men Don’t Wear Plaid), based on a story by Richard Alan Simmons (Juggernaut) and William Sackheim (First Blood).

Rest in peace, Carl Reiner (1922-2020) :(

738329250225.jpg

Robin9

Producer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Coming September 22nd!

The Art of Love (1965)
• Brand New 2K Master
• Theatrical Trailer
• Dual-Layered BD50 Disc

From Norman Jewison, the legendary director of The Thrill of It All, The Russians Are Coming! The Russians Are Coming!, In the Heat of the Night, The Thomas Crown Affair, Fiddler on the Roof, Rollerball and Moonstruck, comes this hilarious comedy starring James Garner (Support Your Local Sheriff), Dick Van Dyke (Mary Poppins), Elke Sommer (A Shot in the Dark), Angie Dickinson (Rio Bravo), Ethel Merman (Call Me Madam) and Carl Reiner (Ocean’s Eleven). Having failed to establish himself as a painter in Paris, Paul Sloane (Van Dyke) decides to return home to his wealthy girlfriend, Laurie Gibson (Dickinson). His roommate, Casey Barnett (Garner), argues that Paul should fake his own suicide, which will make his paintings much more popular. With Paul presumably dead, demand for his work soars. When Casey grows wealthy selling it off and begins courting Laurie, an angry Paul frames his deceitful friend for his murder. Beautifully shot in Technicolor by the great Russell Metty (Spartacus, Touch of Evil) with a wonderful screenplay by Carl Reiner (The Dick Van Dyke Show, Dead Men Don’t Wear Plaid), based on a story by Richard Alan Simmons (Juggernaut) and William Sackheim (First Blood).

View attachment 74877
Perfect timing! Admit it: It was pure chance! You're not that clever to manage it on the day Carl Reiner left us.

Dave Lawrence

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
Coming September 22nd!

The Art of Love (1965)
• Brand New 2K Master
• Theatrical Trailer
• Dual-Layered BD50 Disc

View attachment 74877
One of my favorite 60s comedy films. I'm really looking forward to this. Thanks, Kino!

R.I.P., Mr. Reiner. Thanks for some wonderful films and TV series.

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Insider
Real Name
Insider
Coming September 22nd!

Never Steal Anything Small (1959)
• Audio Commentary by Film Historian/Filmmaker Daniel Kremer and Audio Commentary by Author/Film Historian Lee Gambin
• Theatrical Trailer
• Dual-Layered BD50 Disc

Color 94 Minutes 2.35:1 Not Rated
Screen legend James Cagney (Love Me or Leave Me, White Heat), in his final musical performance, plays a lovable, larcenous longshoreman in this rapid-fire, song-filled spoof of union politics. Cagney sings and dances his way to the top of the heap as Jake MacIllaney, a combination Yankee Doodle Dandy and Robin Hood, who empties company and union coffers alike to become president of the stevedore’s union. The sly MacIllaney also has his eye on his lawyer’s beautiful wife (Shirley Jones, Elmer Gantry, The Music Man) and reaches into his bag of tricks to win her over. This lively satire with lyrics by Maxwell Anderson and choreography by Hermes Pan remains a must-see for Cagney fans. Directed by veteran Hollywood screenwriter Charles Lederer (Fingers at the Window) and co-starring Roger Smith (TV’s 77 Sunset Strip), Cara Williams (Boomerang), Nehemiah Persoff (Day of the Outlaw), Royal Dano (Man of the West) and Anthony Caruso (Fort Massacre).

NSAS.jpg

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barcelona