Kino Lorber Insider (Read Guidelines Post #3)

lark144

Screenwriter
Premium
Real Name
mark gross
I liked the film so much that I looked up the play and read it. It's somewhat different if I recall. I saw the film in '64 and read the play shortly thereafter.
Me too! I read the play after seeing the movie. I thought the play was better, though I still love the movie. Can't wait! Or rather, I've been waiting so long it got to the point that I gave up. So now that it's been announced, it feels anti-climatic. I remember the original release prints were very beautiful, with very delicate colors, a Degas pastel combined with one of those abstract Whistlers of pale white and golds.

Last edited:

lark144

Screenwriter
Premium
Real Name
mark gross
This was the first film I saw at Radio City Music Hall. I stood in line all by myself and when I reached the ticket window, the lady asked me how old I was. I answered, truthfully, 14, though I looked probably 12. She waved me to go in and didn't charge me. I never understood why. I watched the film twice, the stage show once. Loved the film. I was visiting NYC for the 1964 World's Fair.
Gee Wilikers, as Jimmy Stewart might say. That happened to me also, around the same time. I was with my mother and grandmother, and my grandmother paid for three adults, the woman asked how old I was--I probably looked 8--and I said I was 13 and she passed me in. It was probably the same cashier. I don't remember what the movie was. It wasn't "The Chalk Garden" as I saw that at our neighnorhood theater. I saw everything Haley Mills was in, from "Tiger Bay" up to "The Family Way." Then I moved to New York and discovered Catherine Deveuve.

bujaki

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Me too! I read the play after seeing the movie. I thought the play was better, though I still love the movie. Can't wait! Or rather, I've been waiting so long it got to the point that I gave up. So now that it's been announced, it feels anti-climatic. I remember the original release prints were very beautiful, with very delicate colors, a Degas pastel combined with one of those abstract Whistlers of pale white and golds.
Yes, the play is better, but I already had a crush on Ms. Kerr.

Reactions: lark144

lark144

Screenwriter
Premium
Real Name
mark gross
Yes, the play is better, but I already had a crush on Ms. Kerr.
I first saw Deborah Kerr in THE KING AND I, so I always considered her a Mommy type; decorative, but not romantic in the least. It was only decades later when I saw THE LIFE AND DEATH OF COLONEL BLIMP that I realized there was a lot more going on underneath the surface, or in plain sight, for that matter. I just didn't see it. I love the way her eyes smolder and spark in I SEE A DARK STRANGER. But in may of her Hollywood films--excepting THE SUNDOWNERS & THE INNOCENTS--she's curiously bloodless. I think playing a nun in BLACK NARCISSUS, and becoming famous for it in the US, typecast her for the rest of her life.

Reactions: bujaki

Corn Pop

Grip
Real Name
Jason
I first saw Deborah Kerr in THE KING AND I, so I always considered her a Mommy type; decorative, but not romantic in the least. It was only decades later when I saw THE LIFE AND DEATH OF COLONEL BLIMP that I realized there was a lot more going on underneath the surface, or in plain sight, for that matter. I just didn't see it. I love the way her eyes smolder and spark in I SEE A DARK STRANGER. But in may of her Hollywood films--excepting THE SUNDOWNERS & THE INNOCENTS--she's curiously bloodless. I think playing a nun in BLACK NARCISSUS, and becoming famous for it in the US, typecast her for the rest of her life.
I am a huge fan of I See a Dark Stranger. It’s great. Is there any chance that Kino Lorber could release this film on blu-ray?

Henry Gondorff

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Bill
I remember the original release prints were very beautiful, with very delicate colors, a Degas pastel combined with one of those abstract Whistlers of pale white and golds.
Neame probably influenced the look of this film, photographed by Arthur Ibbetson. He had been a notable cinematographer in England before becoming a director, photographing several of David Lean's earlier films.

Robert Crawford

Real Name
Robert
I don't think this title has ever been released on home video in any format. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong about it ever being released in Region A. I'm looking forward to this one.:thumbsup:

Sunday's Facebook Announcement:

Coming Soon!

Brand New 2K Master!

So Evil My Love (1948) Starring Ray Milland, Ann Todd, Geraldine Fitzgerald, Leo G. Carroll, Raymond Huntley & Hugh Griffith – Shot by Max Greene (Night and the City) – Music by William Alwyn (A Night to Remember) – Produced by Hal B. Wallis (I Walk Alone) – Directed by Lewis Allen (The Uninvited, A Bullet for Joey).
Image may contain: 4 people, text

timk1041

Second Unit
Real Name
Timothy
I don't think this title has ever been released on home video in any format. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong about it ever being released in Region A. I'm looking forward to this one.:thumbsup:

Sunday's Facebook Announcement:

Coming Soon!

Brand New 2K Master!

So Evil My Love (1948) Starring Ray Milland, Ann Todd, Geraldine Fitzgerald, Leo G. Carroll, Raymond Huntley & Hugh Griffith – Shot by Max Greene (Night and the City) – Music by William Alwyn (A Night to Remember) – Produced by Hal B. Wallis (I Walk Alone) – Directed by Lewis Allen (The Uninvited, A Bullet for Joey).
Image may contain: 4 people, text
It was released 3 or 4 years ago as a DVD MOD by Universal as part of their Vault Series. The movie is quite good.

haineshisway

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Sorry, but no. His asking price is too high and I've head the restoration is not a good one.
It would have to be a "print" not negative - I don't think ol' Mike has any negatives, so "restoration" is kind of a joke. I sold most of my incredible 35mm IB Tech prints to him, something I've always regretted for many reasons - the best IB Vertigo around, Marnie, The Court Jester, I think.

bujaki

Cinematographer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
She was quite sexy to Robert Mitchum in Heaven Knows, Mr. Allison. I know she was the only woman around, but still... And I saw that film right after The King and I... I agree with you on Blimp and Dark Stranger, and MGM did try to cast her in some sexier roles prior to Miss Anna. But that red mane certainly covered some treasures.

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
She was quite sexy to Robert Mitchum in Heaven Knows, Mr. Allison. I know she was the only woman around, but still... And I saw that film right after The King and I...Stranger, and MGM did try to cast her in some sexier roles prior to Miss Anna. But that red mane certainly covered some treasures.
What about her with Burt Lancaster in “From Here to Eternity”!

Corn Pop

Grip
Real Name
Jason
When you think about Deborah Kerr, I am convinced that she has the best filmography of any actress in history. She was in so many very good and great films! She should have gotten the Oscar nomination in Separate Tables before the other actors in that movie who were nominated and who won Oscars.

Grinnygog

Auditioning
Real Name
Kevin D. F. Highnight
I've been wondering, does the "while supplies last" mean that all of these titles are out of print once sold out? Or does this mean while inventory lasts and then the titles will be restocked after sale? I'm assuming the latter since newer releases are included, but want to make sure I don't miss out on a title that will suddenly be out of print.
We Just Added 6 NEW TITLES to the "WHILE SUPPLIES LAST" SALE!

American Dreamer BD $9.99
Camp Nowhere BD $9.99 / DVD $4.99
Deceived BD $9.99 / DVD $5.99
No Man’s Land BD $9.99
Solarbabies BD $9.99 / $6.99
Welcome to L.A. BD $9.99

FREE USA SHIPPING - Orders of $50 or More!

View attachment 72868

Josh Steinberg

Film Editor
Reviewer
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
I've been wondering, does the "while supplies last" mean that all of these titles are out of print once sold out? Or does this mean while inventory lasts and then the titles will be restocked after sale? I'm assuming the latter since newer releases are included, but want to make sure I don't miss out on a title that will suddenly be out of print.
For Kino’s “while supplies last” sale, it means that they will not be restocking those titles after they sell out, and will be on clearance sale until that happens. Some of the titles are on sale because the licensing period is close to ending and Kino will no longer have the right to make or sell them, while others are in the sale because they’ve sold below expectations and Kino is trying to get rid of existing stock and recover at least part of their investment.

Reactions: Grinnygog

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barcelona