What's new

Kino-Lorber Insider Announcement Thread (Read Guidelines Post #3) (9 Viewers)

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
It doesn't say anything about any missing reels, and the Wikipedia's own page on lost and partially lost films says nothing about Becky Sharp being lost or incomplete.

They were on a deadline and they were unable to locate any materials for the last reel in time to make the premiere screnings. They decided to go with what they had and that included the last reel in cinecolor. AFTER that, they located a dubbed Italian dye transfer print that allowed them to recreate that final reel. It's been a complete restoration since about 1985.

I believe (but I would need to locate that really wonderful American Cinematographer article) that one of the three records was almost completely lost (I want to say yellow but I can't be 100%)

EDIT: Closest I could come was an excerpt on Questia. I had it wrong about which color record was missing. If anyone can find the full article, it was really quite good. There's every chance a copy of the magazine is still somewhere in my mom's house! LOL
https://www.questia.com/magazine/1P3-1298014271/restoring-becky-sharp

Last edited:

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
They were on a deadline and they were unable to locate any materials for the last reel in time to make the premiere screnings. They decided to go with what they had and that included the last reel in cinecolor. AFTER that, they located a dubbed Italian dye transfer print that allowed them to recreate that final reel. It's been a complete restoration since about 1985.

I believe (but I would need to locate that really wonderful American Cinematographer article) that one of the three records was almost completely lost (I want to say yellow but I can't be 100%)

EDIT: Closest I could come was an excerpt on Questia. I had it wrong about which color record was missing. If anyone can find the full article, it was really quite good. There's every chance a copy of the magazine is still somewhere in my mom's house! LOL
https://www.questia.com/magazine/1P3-1298014271/restoring-becky-sharp
Love it!

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
OH

MY

GOD

I have waited for this moment since I first read about BECKY SHARP in Fred Basten's circa 1980 book about Technicolor. At that point the full Technicolor version was still considered "lost" and the book had some interesting text about what happened to the film over the years. The big coffee table reprint of that book from about 20 years later omits that text because, by then, it had been restored. A few years later (1984) I was thrilled to read the "Restoring Becky Sharp" article in American Cinematographer and was totally hooked. I suffered through the lousy color on PD prints in the early days of home video and finally got to see the restoration on AMC's very first "preservation festival" in 1993. I patiently waited for a home video release. I didn't, of course, realize I would have to wait out VHS, laserdisc, and DVD but who's complaining?

TCM would occasionally show this but the print they used was overly processed and had a very compressed "digital" feel to it with dulled colors. It certainly couldn't measure up to the initial TV airing. I am so excited for this, thank you thank you thank you!
Love your enthusiasm. Makes me anticipate this release even more than I already do!

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Love your enthusiasm. Makes me anticipate this release even more than I already do!

Hahahah....thanks. Matt, I DO tend to gush eh? The exciting thing about this release is that the restoration took place approximately 35 years ago and it has never been commercially released ANYWHERE on ANY format until now.

Last edited:

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Hahahah....thanks. Matt, I DO tend to gush eh? The exciting thing about this release is that the restoration took place approximately 35 years ago and it has never been commercially released ANYWHERE on ANY format until now.

I've been waiting a good long time for an opportunity to see this film for the first time. I'm also excited, and your postings about it have increased that enthusiasm tremendously!

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
There's that great sequence when the ball i disrupted by the news that Napoleon is nearby at Waterloo and everybody dashes off to war. It's the best example of the use of color, light and shadows for dramatic effect in the film.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
How fantastic. I've waited for this for years....
However, it is a bit odd to credit Thackeray as also having written 'Vanity Fair' and Barry Lyndon'. Much better to have named for instance 'The Virginian' or 'Henry Esmond' and "Barry Lyndon' ... as 'Becky Sharp' and 'Vanity Fair are of course one and the same thing.
Thackeray is my favourite Victorian-era writer. His versatility and accessability place him above, in my opinion, Trollope for instance, and certainly on par with Dickens. And as a lover of early Technicolor, this film promises to be a marvel.

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Coming Soon on DVD and Blu-ray!
Includes both the original 90-minute cut and the 77-minute 1954 reissue!
Restored in Glorious Technicolor!
Oscar Nominee for Best Art Direction (Lyle R. Wheeler, Gone with the Wind).

Mark Twain's The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (1938) Starring Tommy Kelly, May Robson, Walter Brennan, Victor Jory, David Holt and Jackie Moran - Produced by David O. Selznick (Duel in the Sun) - Shot by James Wong Howe (Hud) - Directed by Norman Taurog (Boys Town).

the-adventures-of-tom-sawyer_fa797344.jpg

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Mark Twain's The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (1938) Starring Tommy Kelly, May Robson, Walter Brennan, Victor Jory, David Holt and Jackie Moran - Produced by David O. Selznick (Duel in the Sun) - Shot by James Wong Howe (Hud) - Directed by Norman Taurog (Boys Town).

View attachment 45154
Thank you as that DVD from Echo Bridge wasn't very good. I watched it within the past month or so, but the DVD doesn't do justice to this Technicolor film.

John Morgan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John

View attachment 45154

I hope Kino can request that Disney supplies them with the restored soundtrack done when the film was restored several years ago. Although not Kino's fault, their release of GARDEN OF ALLAH and INTERMEZZO were from soundtracks that were fiddled with after the film's restoration and was very poor and over processed in comparison. As I assume this will be coming out down the line, I think it would be worth the effort. It is a beautiful looking and soundtrack restoration as done by Scott MacQueen during his tenure at Disney.

GregoryMesh

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Gregory Mesh
It seems March update quietly added Gone to Earth to the list of upcoming titles. Does it mean that eventual The Wild Heart release will include both versions?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks