What's new

Kino-Lorber Insider Announcement Thread (Read Guidelines Post #3) (4 Viewers)

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Glad to see The Mirror Crack'd join its brethren on Region A Blu-ray. It's the least of the three in quality, but the cast is super. I found the mystery by far the easiest of the three to solve.
I like the Mirror Cracked film. The only problem I have with the story is that Agatha Christie took something terrible that happened to Gene Tierney and used it as the basis for a novel. I just don't think that is right.

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
Good to hear that The Green Man is coming out in the UK, though a Kino release would be preferred.
It is indeed a great little comedy ... it's also one of the only two movies that had me scream aloud in horror in the cinema when I saw it first .. the scene when a presumably dead character (not giving too much away) suddenly staggers through a pair of french doors, like some sort of reincarnated monster.
The other movie which had that effect was of course Psycho.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I like the Mirror Cracked film. The only problem I have with the story is that Agatha Christie took something terrible that happened to Gene Tierney and used it as the basis for a novel. I just don't think that is right.
I like it, too, but I think the mystery plotting and clues pale in comparison to the other two in terms of complexity. Of course, Death on the Nile and Evil Under the Sun were written at the height of her powers as a novelist. The Mirror Crack'd was a product of her later years when she was doing good but not great work. Of course, the screenwriters for the three films, in particular Crack'd and Evil, added their own "modern" insertions of insult-laden dialogue to spice things up.

t1g3r5fan

Reviewer
Real Name
Mychal Bowden
Or a Douglas Sirk box set along with Written On The Wind, A Time To Love And A Time To Die, Interlude and Battle Hymn, none of which have received a R1 blu ray release.

With the exception of Written on the Wind (which is more likely to come from Criterion), I could definitely see Kino releasing these, assuming that they licensed them.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member

Well, it wasn't the first time she exploited a real life tragedy as the basis of one of her books. Murder On The Orient Express uses the tragedy of the Charles Lindbergh baby kidnapping as its basis.

Last edited:

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Or a Douglas Sirk box set along with Written On The Wind, A Time To Love And A Time To Die, Interlude and Battle Hymn, none of which have received a R1 blu ray release.

Even though they've yet to upgrade it to blu-ray, Criterion still has the rights to Written on the Wind. Their DVD edition is still very much in print.

On the other hand, by my count, there are 13 Sirk titles from Universal that would, in theory, be available to Kino (aside from the ones they've already released or announced). At least four of those (Sign of the Pagan, Captain Lightfoot, Battle Hymn, and Interlude) have been released on blu-ray in France, and another (A Time to Love and a Time to Die) in the UK.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Of the three Christie films announced "Evil Under The Sun " is my favorite. Even if the victim is obvious early on, the solution is clever. The actors have great lines and I always enjoy the Cole Porter music which adds to atmosphere. An isolated music track would have been appreciated .

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Our MEMORIAL DAY Sale is Live Now! Over 330 Titles!

Our "WHILE SUPPLIES LAST" Sale Continues! Over 215 Titles!

FREE USA SHIPPING - Orders of $50 or More!

View attachment 73016
Just to remind people that the Memorial Day Sale ends on June 8th according to Kino on Facebook.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Saturday's Facebook Announcement:

Coming Soon!

Brand New 4K Master!

Stiletto (1969) Starring Alex Cord, Britt Ekland, Patrick O’Neal, Roy Scheider, Joseph Wiseman, Barbara McNair, John Dehner, Titos Vandis, Eduardo Ciannelli, Lincoln Kilpatrick, James Tolkan, Olympia Dukakis, Charles Durning, Raul Julia and M. Emmet Walsh – Shot by Jack Priestly (Across 110th Street, The Midnight Man) – Screenplay Co-Written by Harold Robbins (King Creole, The Carpetbaggers) - Based on His Bestselling Novel – Directed by Bernard L. Kowalski (Krakatoa: East of Java, Macho Callahan).
Image may contain: 1 person

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Has anybody's Memorial Day sale items shipped yet? I placed my big order of 15 releases on May 22nd and it still hasn't shipped yet. So I'm wondering those with smaller orders have seen their shipments go out?

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Has anybody's Memorial Day sale items shipped yet? I placed my big order of 15 releases on May 22nd and it still hasn't shipped yet. So I'm wondering those with smaller orders have seen their shipments go out?

I haven't received a shipping notice yet on my KL sale order but then again I'm still waiting for my Twilight Time order shipping notice. I did get a notice from Shout Factory that my order has NOT been shipped yet and an apology along with the usual (and understandable) reasons why. Ironically, I've received my Great Britian orders from Amazon.UK as well as Indicator's John Ford At Columbia box set which were placed around the same time. Go figure!

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member

Coming Soon!

Brand New 4K Master!

Stiletto (1969) Starring Alex Cord, Britt Ekland, Patrick O’Neal, Roy Scheider, Joseph Wiseman, Barbara McNair, John Dehner, Titos Vandis, Eduardo Ciannelli, Lincoln Kilpatrick, James Tolkan, Olympia Dukakis, Charles Durning, Raul Julia and M. Emmet Walsh – Shot by Jack Priestly (Across 110th Street, The Midnight Man) – Screenplay Co-Written by Harold Robbins (King Creole, The Carpetbaggers) - Based on His Bestselling Novel – Directed by Bernard L. Kowalski (Krakatoa: East of Java, Macho Callahan).

Damn! I've been wanting this for years although I thought it was a lost cause! Great news!

Garysb

Senior HTF Member

I placed two orders. The second, smaller, placed two days after the first order, shipped and is out for delivery today. As has been stated on the Twilight Time thread, we will get our stuff eventually. The virus has just slowed things down. I guess if we want to order many movies we should place multiple orders as long as each qualifies for free shipping. Maybe. The order that shipped was placed on 5/24 and shipped 5/28.

Last edited:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I placed an order 5/23, and it was processed and "approved for packing" on 5/24, but I have yet to receive any shipping notice.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
Other possibility is that some items in order are out of stock and Kino only ships orders when complete.
Nothing is marked out of stock but they have gotten a lot of orders.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin

Coming Soon!

Brand New 4K Master!

I've never seen this film. Is it worth watching?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks