What's new

Kino-Lorber Insider Announcement Thread (Read Guidelines Post #3) (8 Viewers)

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Glad to see The Mirror Crack'd join its brethren on Region A Blu-ray. It's the least of the three in quality, but the cast is super. I found the mystery by far the easiest of the three to solve.

And Kino also has Witness for the Prosecution, Ordeal by Innocence, Endless Night, and the third and fourth versions of Ten Little Indians so Dame Agatha has found a tidy home for herself at Kino! Wish we could get Appointment with Death on Blu-ray.

MarkA

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Abel
Glad to see The Mirror Crack'd join its brethren on Region A Blu-ray. It's the least of the three in quality, but the cast is super. I found the mystery by far the easiest of the three to solve.

And Kino also has Witness for the Prosecution, Ordeal by Innocence, Endless Night, and the third and fourth versions of Ten Little Indians so Dame Agatha has found a tidy home for herself at Kino! Wish we could get Appointment with Death on Blu-ray.
I would love Appointment with Death being a Hayley Mills fan. Right now it's only available as a region 2 DVD.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Speaking of Hayley Mills...as Kino seems to be acquiring a bunch of StudioCanal stuff, I wonder if they can release WHISTLE DOWN THE WIND and TIGER BAY. Seems like those would be right up their alley. They'd be right up mine, at any rate.

Corn Pop

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason
During the last End of Winter sale, I was very impressed with the blu-rays that I picked up, and the special features. Kundun is packed with features. Un Flic by Melville had some good special features. So did The Man Between by Carol Reed. I really really enjoyed that movie and that disc.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
During the last End of Winter sale, I was very impressed with the blu-rays that I picked up, and the special features. Kundun is packed with features.
Yeah, I just assumed that Kundun was going to be a movie-only disc and I was fine with that but I was quite surprised by how much content was actually on there. Great job, Kino!

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
Just wanted to say a big thank you to Kino for Death on the Nile and Cry Freedom - two movies I have been absolutely craving for decades. Have the old UK disc from StudioCanal that was labeled as region B but is actually region free. When they remastered all of the AC's in Europe, they were region locked, so I was out of luck until now. Besides, the original SC release of both Nile and Murder on the Orient Express, which I also own, is not all that great. So, can't wait for Kino's new 2K offering. Yahoo and thank you.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I would love Appointment with Death being a Hayley Mills fan. Right now it's only available as a region 2 DVD.
Actually, there are two Zone B blu-rays available - a German release (Koch) from 2018, and a French release from 2019. I have no knowledge about the quality

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I have it on laserdisc, but the transfer is open matte and is not very enjoyable to watch. The movie was for a fair amount of time on YouTube in a good widescreen transfer, but I noted recently that it had been taken down.

Corn Pop

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason
I would love to see Kino Lorber release a blu-ray of "A Kid for Two Farthings" by Carol Reed that is similar to the recent BFI release that is region locked. I would like all of those special features plus an audio commentary track.

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
Speaking of Hayley Mills...as Kino seems to be acquiring a bunch of StudioCanal stuff, I wonder if they can release WHISTLE DOWN THE WIND and TIGER BAY. Seems like those would be right up their alley. They'd be right up mine, at any rate.
I wonder also about The Chalk Garden and The Truth About Spring. I have the DVDs but these would be nice on blu.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Tuesday's Facebook Announcement:

Coming August 11th!

Date with an Angel (1987)
• NEW Audio Commentary by Director Tom McLoughlin
• Making-of Featurette
• Selected Sound Bites
• Theatrical Trailer
• Dual-Layered BD50 Disc
• Optional English Subtitles
Color 105 Minutes 2.35:1 Rated PG
Jim is about to marry a princess… but he’s in love with an angel! Aspiring composer Jim Sanders (Michael E. Knight, TV’s All My Children) is engaged to spoiled rich girl Patty (Phoebe Cates, Fast Times at Ridgemont High). But the morning after his bachelor party, Jim wakes up hung-over to discover a broken-winged, real-life angel (the stunningly beautiful Emmanuelle Béart, Un Coeur en Hiver) in his swimming pool. Now, the secret of Jim’s heavenly houseguest is out, and he must deal with his dangerously jealous fiancée, his exploitive future father-in-law (David Dukes, Rawhead Rex), a group of buddies with an outrageous business plan and an impossibly gorgeous angel who must balance both the wrath of God and her discovery of French fries. Can an earthbound mortal be passionately touched by an angel and still find a way to live happily ever after? Written and directed by Tom McLoughlin (One Dark Night, Friday the 13th Part VI: Jason Lives, Sometimes They Come Back).
Image may contain: 3 people, text

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Coming August 11th from Scorpion Releasing!
Distributed by Kino Lorber!

A Different Story (1978)
• New 2018 HD Master of the Uncut R Rated Version
• Trailers

Color 108 Minutes 1.78:1 Rated R
A Different Story
is a 1978 critically acclaimed film which Variety magazine called “A First-Class Production with Excellent Performances.” Albert (Perry King, The Lords of Flatbush, Mandingo, Lipstick, Class of 1984) is a handsome, charming, intelligent gay man. Stella (Meg Foster, They Live, Master of the Universe, The Osterman Weekend, The Emerald Forest) is an attractive, delightful and quick-witted lesbian. After celebrating Albert’s birthday with a fun-filled night on the town, the two friends end up in bed and wake up surprisingly with new found feelings for each other. Paul Aaron (A Force of One, The Miracle Worker, Deadly Force, Morgan Stewart’s Coming Home) directed this refreshing romantic comedy-drama that’s perfect for anyone who know that opposites attract! Beautifully shot by two-time Oscar-nominated cinematographer Philip H. Lathrop (The Pink Panther, Earthquake, The Driver) and featuring a wonderful supporting performance by Peter Donat (The China Syndrome, Russian Roulette). This is the uncut R rated version, available for the first time since videotape.

738329249229.jpg

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Coming August 11th!
Oscar Winner: Best Actor (Duvall)
Oscar Winner: Best Screenplay (Foote)
Oscar Nominee: Best Picture
Oscar Nominee: Best Director (Beresford)

Tender Mercies (1983)
• NEW Audio Commentary by Film Critic and Author Simon Abrams
• Miracles and Mercies: Documentary Featuring Interviews with Stars Robert Duvall, Tess Harper, Allan Hubbard, Director Bruce Beresford and Writer/Co-Producer Horton Foote
• Reversible Art
• Theatrical Trailer
• Dual-Layered BD50 Disc

Color 92 Minutes 1.85:1 Rated PG
From Bruce Beresford, the acclaimed director of Breaker Morant, Crimes of the Heart and Driving Miss Daisy, and Horton Foote, the legendary writer of To Kill a Mockingbird, Baby the Rain Must Fall and The Trip to Bountiful,comes this classic drama starring screen great Robert Duvall (The Apostle, True Confessions) in his once-in-a-lifetime Oscar-winning Best Actor performance. Mac Sledge (Duvall) is an alcoholic drifter who comes into the life of a lonely widow (Tess Harper, Silkwood) and her young son in the barren flatlands of Texas. But when Mac is revealed to be a once-famous country singer, he must confront a painful past that includes his bitter superstar ex-wife (Betty Buckley, Frantic) and troubled daughter (Ellen Barkin, The Big Easy) while facing an uncertain future that may only be redeemed by the simple power of love. Tender Mercies also won an Oscar for Best Original Screenplay (Foote) and was nominated for three more Oscars, including Best Picture and Best Director (Beresford). With a stellar supporting cast that includes Wilford Brimley (Country), Lenny von Dohlen (Twin Peaks: Fire Walk with Me) and Paul Gleason (The Breakfast Club), Tender Mercies is a movie experience of uncommon grace and dignity.

738329249014.jpg

738329249014_back.jpg

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Coming August 18th!

The Eagle and the Hawk (1933)
• NEW Audio Commentary by Author/Film Historian Lee Gambin and Actress/Film Historian Rutanya Alda
• Theatrical Trailer
• Dual-Layered BD50 Disc

B&W 73 Minutes 1.37:1 Not Rated
Screen legends Cary Grant (North by Northwest), Fredric March (Inherit the Wind) and Carole Lombard (Nothing Sacred) star in this classic World War I film in the tradition of All Quiet on the Western Front. The Eagle and the Hawk is a powerful anti-war drama in which Grant and March play rival pilots with opposing codes of honor. Based on a story by John Monk Saunders (Wings, The Dawn Patrol) and featuring memorable supporting roles for Jackie Oakie (The Great Dictator) and Sir Guy Standing (Death Takes a Holiday), The Eagle and the Hawk is the film that The New York Times called “a drama told with a praiseworthy sense of realism.” With top-notch direction by Stuart Walker (The Mystery of Edwin Drood), The Eagle and the Hawk still packs a punch more than 75 years later.

738329249236.jpg

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Page 1 Updates!

August 4th

Tony Curtis Collection
Carole Lombard Collection I
Audie Murphy Collection
August 11th
Diva (1981)
Tender Mercies (1983)
The Quest (1985)
Cry Freedom (1987)
Date with an Angel (1987)
August 18th
Wake Island (1942)
Red Ball Express (1952)
Raid on Rommel (1971)
Backlash (1956)
Soldier Blue (1970)
Old Boyfriends (1979)
August 25th
All I Desire (1953)
There's Always Tomorrow (1955)
The Balcony (1963)
Breezy (1973)
The Sign of the Cross (1932)
Hollywoodland (2006)
Trick Baby (1972) Scorpion/KL release
September 8th
Dr. Who and the Daleks (1965)
Dr. Who: Daleks' Invasion Earth 2150 A.D. (1966)

klsc.jpg

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Coming August 18th!

• NEW Audio Commentary by Author/Film Historian Lee Gambin and Actress/Film Historian Rutanya Alda
• Theatrical Trailer
• Dual-Layered BD50 Disc

B&W 73 Minutes 1.37:1 Not Rated
Screen legends Cary Grant (North by Northwest), Fredric March (Inherit the Wind) and Carole Lombard (Nothing Sacred) star in this classic World War I film in the tradition of All Quiet on the Western Front. The Eagle and the Hawk is a powerful anti-war drama in which Grant and March play rival pilots with opposing codes of honor. Based on a story by John Monk Saunders (Wings, The Dawn Patrol) and featuring memorable supporting roles for Jackie Oakie (The Great Dictator) and Sir Guy Standing (Death Takes a Holiday), The Eagle and the Hawk is the film that The New York Times called “a drama told with a praiseworthy sense of realism.” With top-notch direction by Stuart Walker (The Mystery of Edwin Drood), The Eagle and the Hawk still packs a punch more than 75 years later.

View attachment 73286

Very nice!

In for all Cary Grant movies! And I’ve seen all of his films, in case you need someone for a commentary on him :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks