Kino Lorber Insider (Read Guidelines Post #3)

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Insider
Reaction score
Real Name
Insider
Coming June 23rd!

Murder by Decree (1979)
• 2019 HD Master by StudioCanal
• Audio Commentary with Director Bob Clark
• NEW Audio Commentary by Film Historians Howard S. Berger and Steve Mitchell
• Optional English Subtitles
• Dual-Layered BD50 Disc
• Theatrical Trailer

From Bob Clark, the acclaimed director of Dead of Night, Black Christmas, Breaking Point, Tribute, Porky’s and A Christmas Story, comes this horrifying murder-mystery which pits legendary detective Sherlock Holmes against the notorious serial killer Jack the Ripper! When Scotland Yard is unable to stop the gruesome rampage of Jack the Ripper, a citizens’ committee asks Sherlock Holmes (Christopher Plummer, The Silent Partner) and his trusted associate Dr. John H. Watson (James Mason, The Man Between) to investigate. Now the brilliant pair must follow a terrifying trail of clues that includes a frightened psychic (Donald Sutherland, The Great Train Robbery), a suspicious inspector (David Hemmings, Juggernaut), an institutionalized woman (Geneviève Bujold, Coma) and the Prime Minister of England (John Gielgud, Murder on the Orient Express). But even if Holmes and Watson’s remarkable powers of deduction can unmask the maniacal fiend, are they prepared to face the most shocking secret of all? Find out in this masterful suspense thriller that both fans and critics have called the most exciting and original Sherlock Holmes movie ever made!

738329247447.jpg

Chelsearicky

Stunt Coordinator
Reaction score
Real Name
Richard Barrett-Olson
The question is which version is it? I hope the director's cut which runs 153 minutes.
According to Kino Lorber's site, where the "Isadora" Blu ray is now available for pre order, the running time is 140 minutes.

Last edited:

Matt Hough

Director
Reviewer
Reaction score
Real Name
Matt Hough
Coming June 23rd!

Murder by Decree (1979)
• 2019 HD Master by StudioCanal
• Audio Commentary with Director Bob Clark
• NEW Audio Commentary by Film Historians Howard S. Berger and Steve Mitchell
• Dual-Layered BD50 Disc
• Theatrical Trailer

From Bob Clark, the acclaimed director of Dead of Night, Black Christmas, Breaking Point, Tribute, Porky’s and A Christmas Story, comes this horrifying murder-mystery which pits legendary detective Sherlock Holmes against the notorious serial killer Jack the Ripper! When Scotland Yard is unable to stop the gruesome rampage of Jack the Ripper, a citizens’ committee asks Sherlock Holmes (Christopher Plummer, The Silent Partner) and his trusted associate Dr. John H. Watson (James Mason, The Man Between) to investigate. Now the brilliant pair must follow a terrifying trail of clues that includes a frightened psychic (Donald Sutherland, The Great Train Robbery), a suspicious inspector (David Hemmings, Juggernaut), an institutionalized woman (Geneviève Bujold, Coma) and the Prime Minister of England (John Gielgud, Murder on the Orient Express). But even if Holmes and Watson’s remarkable powers of deduction can unmask the maniacal fiend, are they prepared to face the most shocking secret of all? Find out in this masterful suspense thriller that both fans and critics have called the most exciting and original Sherlock Holmes movie ever made!

View attachment 70811
Will be SO happy to have this in high definition!

Reactions: Jeff Flugel

bujaki

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Viktor und Viktoria is a charming film, but do not expect any gay subtext here (not kosher in Nazi Germany). That was added by Blake Edwards.
I'm looking forward to Paracelsus.
I wish Isadora had been available in a longer cut.
Let's be grateful for what we do get.

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Insider
Reaction score
Real Name
Insider
Coming June 30th!

Narrow Margin (1990)
• Brand New 4K Master
• Audio Commentary by DP/Writer/Director Peter Hyams
• Audio Commentary by Film Historian/Critic Peter Tonguette
• Making-of Featurette
• Selected Sound Bites
• B-Rolls
• 5.1 Surround and 2.0 Lossless Audio
• Dual-Layered BD50 Disc
• Theatrical Trailer

From Peter Hyams, the acclaimed writer/director of Busting, Capricorn One, Outland, The Star Chamber, 2010 and Running Scared, comes this suspenseful remake of the classic 1952 film noir. Screen legend Gene Hackman (The Package, Mississippi Burning) stars as an L.A. District Attorney attempting to take an unwilling murder witness (Anne Archer, The Naked Face) back to the United States to testify against a top-level mob boss. Frantically attempting to escape two deadly hitmen sent to silence her, they board a Vancouver-bound train only to find the killers are onboard with them. For the next 20 hours, as the train hurls through the beautiful but isolated Canadian wilderness, a deadly game of cat and mouse ensues in which their ability to tell a friend from foe is a matter of life and death. James B. Sikking (The Pelican Brief), J.T. Walsh (Needful Things), M. Emmet Walsh (Retroactive), Susan Hogan (Phobia) and Harris Yulin (The Midnight Man) co-star in this action-packed thriller.

738329247508.jpg

Dick

Lead Actor
Premium
Reaction score
Real Name
Rick
According to Kino Lorber's site, where the "Isadora" Blu ray is now available for pre order, the running time is 140 minutes.
Maltin's Guide, which is well-researched, indicates that the "cut" version is 131 minutes, while the full-length one is 168 minutes. If that is true, this 140-minute thing is a hybrid.

Robert Crawford

Reaction score
Real Name
Robert
Coming June 30th!

Narrow Margin (1990)
• Brand New 4K Master
• Audio Commentary by DP/Writer/Director Peter Hyams
• Audio Commentary by Film Historian/Critic Peter Tonguette
• Making-of Featurette
• Selected Sound Bites
• B-Rolls
• 5.1 Surround and 2.0 Lossless Audio
• Dual-Layered BD50 Disc
• Theatrical Trailer

From Peter Hyams, the acclaimed writer/director of Busting, Capricorn One, Outland, The Star Chamber, 2010 and Running Scared, comes this suspenseful remake of the classic 1952 film noir. Screen legend Gene Hackman (The Package, Mississippi Burning) stars as an L.A. District Attorney attempting to take an unwilling murder witness (Anne Archer, The Naked Face) back to the United States to testify against a top-level mob boss. Frantically attempting to escape two deadly hitmen sent to silence her, they board a Vancouver-bound train only to find the killers are onboard with them. For the next 20 hours, as the train hurls through the beautiful but isolated Canadian wilderness, a deadly game of cat and mouse ensues in which their ability to tell a friend from foe is a matter of life and death. James B. Sikking (The Pelican Brief), J.T. Walsh (Needful Things), M. Emmet Walsh (Retroactive), Susan Hogan (Phobia) and Harris Yulin (The Midnight Man) co-star in this action-packed thriller.

View attachment 70832
Oh my!:thumbsup:

Thomas T

Producer
Reaction score
Maltin's Guide, which is well-researched, indicates that the "cut" version is 131 minutes, while the full-length one is 168 minutes. If that is true, this 140-minute thing is a hybrid.
Wikipedia gives the "original" running time as 177 but that is the Roadshow version (never released on physical media in any format) and includes the intermission, entr'acte, exit music etc. so the 168 running time is probably for the actual film itself without the Roadshow trimmings. Outside of Los Angeles where it was released in 1968 to qualify for the Oscars, the Roadshow cut was never shown in the U.S. It was released in 1969 for the rest of the country including New York. I don't know if the Roadshow version was shown in Europe. Reputedly, the Roadshow version (minus the intermission and entr'acte) has been seen only once since when NBC aired it in the early 1970s. I suspect the Roadshow version no longer exists and Kino Lorber is releasing what Universal has provided them with. Apparently the director's 153 minute cut was constructed on video and not on film so it might look less than stellar in HD.

timk1041

Second Unit
Reaction score
Real Name
Timothy
Please let there be some more Universal Comedies from the sixties? Please?

--jthree
I asked them earlier about I'd Rather Be Rich(1964), Fluffy(1965), Tammy & The Millionaire(1967) and a few others I would like to see, but they said none of them were on their radar right now. Maybe that will change at some point.

bujaki

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Wikipedia gives the "original" running time as 177 but that is the Roadshow version (never released on physical media in any format) and includes the intermission, entr'acte, exit music etc. so the 168 running time is probably for the actual film itself without the Roadshow trimmings. Outside of Los Angeles where it was released in 1968 to qualify for the Oscars, the Roadshow cut was never shown in the U.S. It was released in 1969 for the rest of the country including New York. I don't know if the Roadshow version was shown in Europe. Reputedly, the Roadshow version (minus the intermission and entr'acte) has been seen only once since when NBC aired it in the early 1970s. I suspect the Roadshow version no longer exists and Kino Lorber is releasing what Universal has provided them with. Apparently the director's 153 minute cut was constructed on video and not on film so it might look less than stellar in HD.
Given your information on the running times, then it's safe to assume that the version that ran in Puerto Rico was the international cut (168 minutes) since I certainly did not see it with any roadshow trimmings. I do remember the long running time, which I did not mind at all. A fascinating film with a bravura performance.

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Given your information on the running times, then it's safe to assume that the version that ran in Puerto Rico was the international cut (168 minutes) since I certainly did not see it with any roadshow trimmings. I do remember the long running time, which I did not mind at all. A fascinating film with a bravura performance.

I saw the 168 minute version in Paris during the summer 1969 and it did not have any Roadshow trimmings.

Though a fascinating film I doubt whether or not I'd be able to sit through it again 50 years later.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Reaction score
Real Name
Robert
Facebook Announcement:

Coming June 23rd!

The Last Valley (1971)
• Brand New HD Master – 2K Scans of Multiple 35mm Prints
• Audio Commentary by Film Historians Howard S. Berger, Steve Mitchell and Nathaniel Thompson
• Dual-Layered BD50 Disc
• Trailers

Color 125 Minutes 2.35:1 Rated PG
From acclaimed writer/director James Clavell (Shogun, The Great Escape, To Sir, with Love, The Satan Bug), the stirring war epic The Last Valley stars screen greats Michael Caine (The Ipcress File, Kidnapped) and Omar Sharif (Juggernaut, Doctor Zhivago). As the Thirty Years’ War rages through 17th-century Germany, a fierce captain (Caine) lays waste to any village his army encounters. But when he arrives in an undisturbed valley where he meets a beautiful peasant girl (Florinda Bolkan, Flavia the Heretic), his long-dead memories of peace and happiness are reawakened. As war closes in, will he heed its call... or fight for the new life he has found? This powerful film is both a magnificent spectacle and an intensely personal story of love, friendship and loss. Co-starring Nigel Davenport (Mary, Queen of Scots), Per Oscarsson (Endless Night) and Arthur O’Connell (Anatomy of a Murder), with a rousing score by the great John Barry (The Lion in Winter) and top-notch cinematography by Norman Warwick (The Abominable Dr. Phibes) and John Wilcox (Dr. Who and the Daleks).

Bernard McNair

Second Unit
Reaction score
Real Name
Bernard McNair
So excited for The Last Valley, I can finally retire my old Anchor Bay video. This is such an intelligent film with great performances, John Barry's wonderful score and excellent cinematography. KL again hits it out of the park!!!

skylark68

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Real Name
Timothy
This might be a dumb question but why did the elements to the Last Valley have such a tortured history? Seems like Kino went the extra mile to locate the best surviving elements.

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
Reaction score
This might be a dumb question but why did the elements to the Last Valley have such a tortured history? Seems like Kino went the extra mile to locate the best surviving elements.
Apparently Kino did go the extra mile but I’m still wondering what happened to the 70mm elements as The Last Valley was filmed in TODD AO.

Reactions: skylark68

Stephen PI

Supporting Actor
Reaction score
Apparently Kino did go the extra mile but I’m still wondering what happened to the 70mm elements as The Last Valley was filmed in TODD AO.
I believe Disney had a 70mm print of "VALLEY" in storage on the lot, plus "KRAKATOA". I can't recall if they held any original elements.
Don't know for sure if "VALLEY" had a stereo mix. I have never seen the film.

Reactions: skylark68

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ViciousKing