Kino Lorber Insider (Read Guidelines Post #3)

Bernard McNair

Second Unit
Reaction score
Real Name
Bernard McNair
Great news on Mary, Queen of Scots. This is an excellent film with a great John Barry score. I really hope that KL May be able to provide us with an isolated soundtrack as an extra.
I saw the remake last year and this version is so superior.
Thank you KL, a day 1 for me.

Reactions: Flashgear

richardburton84

Second Unit
Reaction score
Real Name
Jack
Great news on Mary, Queen of Scots. This is an excellent film with a great John Barry score. I really hope that KL May be able to provide us with an isolated soundtrack as an extra.
I saw the remake last year and this version is so superior.
Thank you KL, a day 1 for me.
Per the press release:

Isolated Music Only Track with Commentary by Film Historians Nick Redman and Jon Burlingame

Robert Crawford

Reaction score
Real Name
Robert
Coming June 9th!

Mary, Queen of Scots (1971)

• NEW Audio Commentary by Film Historian and Critic Sergio Mims
• Isolated Music Only Track with Commentary by Film Historians Nick Redman and Jon Burlingame
• 1971 Promotional Featurette

• Optional English Subtitles

• Dual-Layered BD50 Disc

• Theatrical Trailer

Color 128 Minutes 2.35:1 Rated PG-13
Acting legends Vanessa Redgrave (Isadora, Julia) and Glenda Jackson (Women in Love, The Maids) star in this sweeping portrait of two of the world’s most fascinating leaders, Mary, Queen of Scots and Queen Elizabeth I of England. Redgrave earned an Academy Award nomination for her stunning portrayal of Mary, who returns to her troubled homeland following the death of her husband, the King of France. From the moment Mary reclaims her throne, Elizabeth (Jackson) seeks to oust her, fearful that Mary will one day have a son who will ultimately rule both countries. Aided by Mary’s deceitful brother (Patrick McGoohan, Ice Station Zebra), Elizabeth schemes to arrange an ill-fated marriage between Scotland’s queen and a vain nobleman (Timothy Dalton, The Lion in Winter) with allegiance to Tudor England. Mary and Elizabeth’s undaunted quests for power leave a trail of deception, murder and holy war. Directed by Charles Jarrott (Anne of the Thousand Days) and co-starring Nigel Davenport (Play Dirty), Trevor Howard (Outcast of the Islands), Daniel Massey (Star!), Ian Holm (Alien) and Andrew Keir (Quatermass and the Pit), Mary, Queen of Scots was nominated for 5 Academy Awards, including Art Direction-Set Decoration, Costume Design and Score (by the great John Barry, The Ipcress File).

View attachment 70488
I didn't care for this movie when it first came out as I was in high school back then and it just didn't appeal to me. However, as a "mature" adult;) I've come to appreciate the acting performances in this movie and consider it a very good movie.

dana martin

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Dana Martin
I think you're misreading the post. What was listed are the titles that HAVE been announced, and the breakdown by year is the stuff that has NOT been announced yet. And I'll throw in a list from the other forum of the *possible* titles those could be, based on all the information that the Insider has mentioned:
So for 1930, it's 1 from:

Fast and Loose
Hell's Angels ( Harlow trumps Carole Lombard)
For the Defense (no more Kay Francis in deal)

For 1931, it's 1 from:

Honor Among Lovers (Claudette Colbert barely trumps Carole Lombard)
Man of the World
An American Tragedy (no Sylvia Sidney in deal)
The Cheat (no Tallulah Bankhead in deal)
City Streets (no Sylvia Sidney in deal)
The Smiling Lieutenant (probably still with Criterion)

For 1932, it's 2 from:

The Broken Lullaby
Hot Saturday
Million Dollar Legs ( W.C. Fields)
The Misleading Lady
The Phantom President
This is the Night
The Sign of the Cross ( Cecil B. DeMille all that need be said)
Devil and the Deep (no Tallulah Bankhead in deal)
If I Had A Million (no George Raft in deal)
Madame Butterfly (no Sylvia Sidney in deal)
Merrily We Go to Hell (no Sylvia Sidney in deal)
Night After Night (no Mae West in deal)

For 1933, it's 1 from:

The Eagle and the Hawk
Gambling Ship
International House (W.C. Fields)
Secret of the Blue Room
This Day and Age
Three-Cornered Moon
Tillie and Gus
Torch Singer
The Woman Accused
Counsellor at Law (ruled out)
I'm No Angel (no Mae West in deal)
White Woman (no Percy Kilbride in deal)

For 1934, it's 1 from:

Four Frightened People ( Cecil B. DeMille)
It's a Gift
Kiss and Make Up
Ladies Should Listen
Mrs. Wiggs of the Cabbage Patch
Murder at the Vanities
The Old Fashioned Way
Search for Beauty
Six of a Kind
You're Telling Me
Belle of the Nineties (no Mae West in deal)
Little Man, What Now? (no Margaret Sullavan in deal)
Now and Forever (no Shirley Temple in deal)
Thirty Day Princess (no Sylvia Sidney in deal)
We're Not Dressing (no Bing Crosby in deal)

For 1935, it's 1 from:

The Bride Comes Home
The Crusades( Cecil B. DeMille )
Enter Madame
The Gilded Lady
Hands Across the Table
Here Comes Cookie
The Last Outpost
Love in Bloom
Man on the Flying Trapeze
The Mystery of Edwin Drood
Private Worlds
Ruggles of Red Gap
Wings in the Dark
Goin' To Town (no Mae West in deal)
Mississippi (no Bing Crosby in deal)
Peter Ibbetson (no Ann Harding in deal)

For 1936, it's 5 from:

Big Brown Eyes
Desire
The Jungle Princess
Love Before Breakfast
Poppy
The Princess Comes Across
Three Smart Girls
Wedding Present
Go West Young Man (no Mae West in deal)
Klondike Annie (no Mae West in deal)
The Moon's Our Home (no Margaret Sullavan in deal)
Next Time We Love (no Margaret Sullavan in deal)
Rhythm of the Range (no Bing Crosby in deal)

For 1938, it's 3 from:

The Big Broadcast of 1938
College Swing
Give Me a Sailor
Mad About Music
Thanks for the Memory
That Certain Age
Zaza
Her Jungle Love (no 30s colour films in deal)
If I Were King (no Ronald Colman in deal)
Men With Wings (no 30s colour films in deal)
Sing You Sinners (no Bing Crosby in deal)
Spawn of the North (no George Raft in deal)
You and Me (ruled out)

For 1939, it's 1 from:

Disputed Passage
First Love
Midnight
You Can't Cheat an Honest Man
East Side of Heaven (no Bing Crosby in deal)
Union Pacific (no 30s westerns in deal?)

just took a look at this, no crystal ball or anything, but ....... let the color blue speak my idea of what i think might be in store. And the ones i left blank, oh hell its to the point of throwing a dart, it really is for a lot of these, the question is what has Universal done with there restorations lately. those will be the ones that probably in this group

Robert Crawford

Reaction score
Real Name
Robert
Looks like the Release Date has changed from June 9th to June 16th.

Coming June 16th on Blu-ray!

• Isolated Music Only Track with Commentary by Film Historians Nick Redman and Jon Burlingame
• Dual-Layered BD50 Disc
• Theatrical Trailer

Acting legends Vanessa Redgrave (Isadora, Julia) and Glenda Jackson (Women in Love, The Maids) star in this sweeping portrait of two of the world’s most fascinating leaders, Mary, Queen of Scots and Queen Elizabeth I of England. Redgrave earned an Academy Award nomination for her stunning portrayal of Mary, who returns to her troubled homeland following the death of her husband, the King of France. From the moment Mary reclaims her throne, Elizabeth (Jackson) seeks to oust her, fearful that Mary will one day have a son who will ultimately rule both countries. Aided by Mary’s deceitful brother (Patrick McGoohan, Ice Station Zebra), Elizabeth schemes to arrange an ill-fated marriage between Scotland’s queen and a vain nobleman (Timothy Dalton, The Lion in Winter) with allegiance to Tudor England. Mary and Elizabeth’s undaunted quests for power leave a trail of deception, murder and holy war. Directed by Charles Jarrott (Anne of the Thousand Days) and co-starring Nigel Davenport (Play Dirty), Trevor Howard (Outcast of the Islands), Daniel Massey (Star!), Ian Holm (Alien) and Andrew Keir (Quatermass and the Pit), Mary, Queen of Scots was nominated for 5 Academy Awards, including Art Direction-Set Decoration, Costume Design and Score (by the great John Barry, The Ipcress File).

Garysb

Producer
Reaction score
I think you're misreading the post. What was listed are the titles that HAVE been announced, and the breakdown by year is the stuff that has NOT been announced yet. And I'll throw in a list from the other forum of the *possible* titles those could be, based on all the information that the Insider has mentioned:

For 1939, it's 1 from:

Disputed Passage
First Love
Midnight
You Can't Cheat an Honest Man
East Side of Heaven (no Bing Crosby in deal)
Union Pacific (no 30s westerns in deal?)
For Francie's sake let the 1939 film be "Midnight".

Astairefan

Second Unit
Reaction score
Real Name
Neil Powell
just took a look at this, no crystal ball or anything, but ....... let the color blue speak my idea of what i think might be in store. And the ones i left blank, oh hell its to the point of throwing a dart, it really is for a lot of these, the question is what has Universal done with there restorations lately. those will be the ones that probably in this group
Certainly an interesting group you think have a chance. However, we've been told before by the Insider that only ONE W.C. Fields movie is coming from Kino (and it's been previously stated that the Insider was not counting his appearance in the already announced Alice In Wonderland). Since most of the rest of his films have been picked up by another label (since confirmed by whoever is running Kino's FB page that it's Criterion), the question remains, what film seems unlikely to have been picked up by them? While this is still speculation on my part, I still maintain that it is The Big Broadcast Of 1938, since it is Bob Hope's debut film, not to mention the introduction of his theme song (and for both of those reasons, the only pre-Cat And The Canary Bob Hope film that seems likely to have a chance at coming to Blu-ray).

Reactions: Sinbad75

dana martin

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
Dana Martin
Certainly an interesting group you think have a chance. However, we've been told before by the Insider that only ONE W.C. Fields movie is coming from Kino (and it's been previously stated that the Insider was not counting his appearance in the already announced Alice In Wonderland). Since most of the rest of his films have been picked up by another label (since confirmed by whoever is running Kino's FB page that it's Criterion), the question remains, what film seems unlikely to have been picked up by them? While this is still speculation on my part, I still maintain that it is The Big Broadcast Of 1938, since it is Bob Hope's debut film, not to mention the introduction of his theme song (and for both of those reasons, the only pre-Cat And The Canary Bob Hope film that seems likely to have a chance at coming to Blu-ray).

OK i'm flexible, and i was one of the ones asking about all of the Big Broadcast films originally, i would gladly welcome that title along with the other Hope titles. For 1939, i am thinking Midnight with Claudette Colbert, but could be wrong, and this was all on the assumption of titles that Universal has going back and doing restorations on getting a new lease on life, figured the DeMille titles were part of that group, the DVD collection was released in 2006, and since then only Cleopatra has had a updated release.

Ken Koc

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Real Name
Ken Koc
Looks like the Release Date has changed from June 9th to June 16th.

Coming June 16th on Blu-ray!

• Dual-Layered BD50 Disc
• Theatrical Trailer

raphdude

Agent
Reaction score
Coming June 9th!

• Dual-Layered BD50 Disc

• Theatrical Trailer

View attachment 70488
Thank you Kino Insider, you have made my day!!!
Can we maybe get Rod Serling's Night Gallery Seasons 1-3 on BD in HD? Pretty please! The show turns 50 this year!!:)

Reactions: dana martin

Robert Crawford

Reaction score
Real Name
Robert
Facebook Announcement:

Coming June 16th on DVD and Blu-ray!

Isadora (1968)
• Audio Commentary by Filmmaker Allan Arkush and Filmmaker/Historian Daniel Kremer
• Dual-Layered BD50 Disc
• Theatrical Trailer

From Karel Reisz, the legendary director of Night Must Fall, Morgan: A Suitable Case for Treatment, Who’ll Stop the Rain and The French Lieutenant’s Woman this biography of 1920s ballet dancer Isadora Duncan, starring screen great Vanessa Redgrave (Mary, Queen of Scots, Julia). Dedicating herself to the pursuit of art and beauty at the age of 12, this engrossing story follows Isadora (Redgrave) through years of triumph and tragedy including her shocking love affairs, taboo-breaking performance and scandalous public behavior. Co-starring Jason Robards (A Thousand Clowns) and James Fox (Performance) and featuring a rousing and haunting score by the great Maurice Jarre (Doctor Zhivago), Isadora offers a fascinating look at ne of history’s most beautiful and talented women who became known as the high priestess of modern dance. Isadora was nominated for the 1969 Actress in a Leading Role (Redgrave) Oscar.

David Weicker

Producer
Reaction score
Real Name
David
Received an email from Kino that my April 7th titles have entered the shipping process. So as of now, even with COVID-19, they are still able to function with a semblance of normalcy

Thomas T

Producer
Reaction score
Facebook Announcement:

Coming June 16th on DVD and Blu-ray!

Isadora (1968)
• Audio Commentary by Filmmaker Allan Arkush and Filmmaker/Historian Daniel Kremer
• Dual-Layered BD50 Disc
• Theatrical Trailer

From Karel Reisz, the legendary director of Night Must Fall, Morgan: A Suitable Case for Treatment, Who’ll Stop the Rain and The French Lieutenant’s Woman this biography of 1920s ballet dancer Isadora Duncan, starring screen great Vanessa Redgrave (Mary, Queen of Scots, Julia). Dedicating herself to the pursuit of art and beauty at the age of 12, this engrossing story follows Isadora (Redgrave) through years of triumph and tragedy including her shocking love affairs, taboo-breaking performance and scandalous public behavior. Co-starring Jason Robards (A Thousand Clowns) and James Fox (Performance) and featuring a rousing and haunting score by the great Maurice Jarre (Doctor Zhivago), Isadora offers a fascinating look at ne of history’s most beautiful and talented women who became known as the high priestess of modern dance. Isadora was nominated for the 1969 Actress in a Leading Role (Redgrave) Oscar.

Fantastic news! Quite possibly Vanessa Redgrave's greatest performance. But which version is Kino releasing? The original 177 minute Roadshow version? Karel Reisz's 153 minute director's cut? The 131 minute general release version? Hopefully, the first.

Forum Sponsors

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rebccalim