What's new

Kino-Lorber Insider Announcement Thread (Read Guidelines Post #3) (10 Viewers)

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Coming April 28th on DVD and Blu-ray!

The Sound Barrier (1952)
• NEW Audio Commentary by Film Historian and Critic Peter Tonguette
• Optional English Subtitles
• Dual-Layered BD50 Disc
• Trailers

B&W 117 Minutes 1.37:1 Not Rated
From David Lean, the legendary director of Brief Encounter, Hobson’s Choice, The Bridge on the River Kwai, Lawrence of Arabia, Doctor Zhivago and A Passage to India, comes this classic drama about the men who challenged the speed of sound, told from the viewpoint of central character Sir John Ridgefield (Ralph Richardson, Outcast of the Islands). The oil tycoon and aircraft constructor is determined to manufacture a supersonic jet that will travel faster than the speed of sound, and his unswerving desire to reach this goal brings suffering, even death, to his own family. Shocked at her father’s disregard for human life, his daughter Susan (Ann Todd, The Paradine Case) walks out on him. Unperturbed, Ridgefield approaches another pilot with the challenge of piloting his test craft. The film received an Oscar nomination for its screenplay by Terence Rattigan (Separate Tables) and won the 1953 Oscar for Best Sound, Recording. Beautifully shot by the great Jack Hildyard (The Devil’s Disciple) and co-starring Nigel Patrick (The League of Gentlemen), John Justin (The Thief of Bagdad) and Denholm Elliott (The Holly and the Ivy), The Sound Barrier is one of the finest aviation films ever made.

738329246426.jpg

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
Mr. Bumble in Oliver! to those of us in the States ...
oliver-lg.jpg

He was also on a Tom Jones Show episode ...

Harry was of course better known as Neddy Seagoon. He was a full-throated tenor with a range which did extend to baritone, much like Placido Domingo's range. He's certainly well-remembered here in Australia.

Daniel Melius

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan
It could, I don't doubt that. Again, I am just guessing, based on the numbers that I thought the Insider mentioned, in between one W.C. Fields film, along with the number of Bob Hope movies they'd be interested in. I know I personally would be happy with any of the Universal-owned films,but beyond the Road films and The Ghost Breakers (both included in the first deal), and the potential of The Paleface and The Cat And The Canary, I'm not sure what other Bob Hope films would be popular enough that Kino would be looking at them, beyond The Big Broadcast Of 1938, since that was Hope's debut film, not to mention introducing the song that would be his theme song (and, in my opinion, it's better than the follow-up movie that tried to capitalize on the song's popularity, Thanks For The Memories). Again, we won't really know until the Insider either announces something or confirms titles. And they did say just today, over on the other forum, that they have three confirmed 1938 titles, so it *could* be one of them.

My personal favorite for w.c. fields where he was not the main star of the film is If i had a million. Thats the one i would like to see come out but i do own and have seen all of his talking movies and shorts and would buy anything kino released on him. I like him a ton more than abbott and costello.

Arthur Powell

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Arthur
Well, the likelihood of either Alice In Wonderland or If I Had A Million ultimately depends on what the one W.C. Fields film is. I still suspect it will be the Bob Hope film The Big Broadcast Of 1938. I mean, I know the Insider has confirmed they got more Bob Hope in the new deal, and had expressed interest in 5 or 6 (at least, I think that's they said the number was, so maybe the Insider can clarify if I'm right on that or not) of the remaining 17 unreleased on Blu-ray Hope titles. Now, we got the four Road films and The Ghost Breakers (which should be coming later this year) from the first deal, so I would think The Paleface and The Cat And The Canary would be the two big films they would want. After that, outside of The Big Broadcast of !938, I'd be hard-pressed to figure out what other Bob Hope films they would want. Of course, I could easily be wrong here, so we'll just have to wait and see what gets announced.

Another possibility for the WC Fields title is Follow the Boys. Reading between the lines of what was previously said (in other words, complete speculation on my part and I'm likely wrong), the Fields title seems to be one that could be left out of an otherwise complete Universal Fields collection without too much damage (correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't it said that most of the Fields titles were licensed by another firm?). Follow the Boys is a 2 hr+ WW2 all star film which features Fields in an extended bit. It was released on VHS back in the 90s but I don't think it has ever had a state-side DVD release (it may have been released on DVD in Europe). Its cast may make it an attractive selection for Kino (Orson Welles, Marlene Dietrich, George Raft, Jeanette MacDonald, Andrews Sisters, Dinah Shore, and a ton of blink and you miss them cameos). Again, complete speculation and I'm probably totally off-base.

Last edited:

Astairefan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Neil Powell
My personal favorite for w.c. fields where he was not the main star of the film is If i had a million. Thats the one i would like to see come out but i do own and have seen all of his talking movies and shorts and would buy anything kino released on him. I like him a ton more than abbott and costello.

Well, here's the thing: whichever W.C. Fields film Kino got, they did say that *somebody* got most of the rest, which is most likely Criterion, since My Little Chickadee was being restored in partnership between Universal and the Film Foundation, and two of their previous collaborations (One-Eyed Jacks and Destry Rides Again) were licensed out to Criterion. Whoever it is, though, the odds are good that all three of the films being discussed (Big Broadcast Of 1938, If I Had A Million and Alice In Wonderland) may be coming out one way or another, so, it should all be good!

Daniel Melius

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan
Well, here's the thing: whichever W.C. Fields film Kino got, they did say that *somebody* got most of the rest, which is most likely Criterion, since My Little Chickadee was being restored in partnership between Universal and the Film Foundation, and two of their previous collaborations (One-Eyed Jacks and Destry Rides Again) were licensed out to Criterion. Whoever it is, though, the odds are good that all three of the films being discussed (Big Broadcast Of 1938, If I Had A Million and Alice In Wonderland) may be coming out one way or another, so, it should all be good!
That would be awesome if company was criterion that picked up most of his titles

I originally thought kino might be releasing Alice In Wonderland and still think that could be the title as they mentioned they had Cary Grant. Cary grants paramount titles are all eclipsed by his films after he left them and was trying to think what might be of interest to kino to release on him. It could also be the Devil and the Deep which had him in small role at beginning of the movie. Its kind of a strange sub movie but it also has Gary Cooper, Charles Laughton and Tallulah Bankhead in it. Its the kind of movie where the stars are bigger than the movie script but it would be day one purchase for me for upgrade.

But really hoping deep down that its not that movie or Alice in wonderland as it would decrease the chance of kino releasing Peter ibbetson as kino probably wont be releasing 8 Gary Cooper titles. Any titles that would decrease the chance of Peter ibbetson being released i am against.

Last edited:

Arthur Powell

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Arthur
That would be awesome if company was criterion that picked up most of his titles

I originally thought kino might be releasing Alice In Wonderland and still think that could be the title as they mentioned they had Cary Grant. Cary grants paramount titles are all eclipsed by his films after he left them and was trying to think what might be of interest to kino to release on him. It could also be the Devil and the Deep which had him in small role at beginning of the movie. Its kind of a strange sub movie but it also has Gary Cooper, Charles Laughton and Tallulah Bankhead in it. Its the kind of movie where the stars are bigger than the movie script but it would be day one purchase for me for upgrade.

But really hoping deep down that its not that movie or Alice in wonderland as it would decrease the chance of kino releasing Peter ibbetson as kino probably wont be releasing 8 Gary Cooper titles. Any titles that would decrease the chance of Peter ibbetson being released i am against.

The Eagle and the Hawk and Wings in the Dark, on the surface at least, could be also viable candidates for the Grant title since both films feature strong casts - Frederic March, Carole Lombard, and Jack Oakie in the former and Myrna Loy in the latter. I remember Wedding Present being a cute romantic comedy, but I'm not sure if that film has any sales potential. To be honest, I'm not sure if the other two films I mentioned are viable either (I would like to see Kino stay in business after all).

Alice in Wonderland is certainly one of the strangest films to come out of the 1930s studio system, and I would definitely pick it up should it be released.

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider

Outcast of the Islands (1951)
• NEW Audio Commentary by Film Historian and Critic Peter Tonguette
• Dual-Layered BD50 Disc
• Trailers

B&W 100 Minutes 1.37:1 Not Rated
From Carol Reed, the renowned director of Night Train to Munich, Odd Man Out, The Fallen Idol, The Third Man, The Man Between, Trapeze and Oliver!, comes this thrilling drama starring Ralph Richardson (The Sound Barrier), Trevor Howard (The Offence), Robert Morley (When Eight Bells Toll), Wendy Hiller (Separate Tables), Kerima (The Devil Is a Woman), George Coulouris (Citizen Kane), Wilfrid Hyde-White (The Browning Version) and James Kenney (The Slasher). When the immoral Peter Willems (Howard) is accused of stealing in his position at a Dutch East Indies port, he persuades the man who gave him his start in life, the merchant ship captain Lingard (Richardson), to take him up-river to a secret trading post on a remote Indonesian island. There, he falls in love with the beautiful native woman Aissa (Kerima), as the cunning Babalatchi (Coulouris) tries to trick and blackmail him into disclosing the entrance of the secret trading route. Beautifully shot in black-and-white by John Wilcox (The Last Valley) and Edward Scaife (An Inspector Calls), Outcast of the Islands is a compelling adaptation of Joseph Conrad’s classic novel.

738329246402.jpg

Last edited:

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider

Billy Liar (1963)
• NEW Audio Commentary by Film Historian Kat Ellinger
• Dual-Layered BD50 Disc
• Theatrical Trailer

B&W 98 Minutes 2.35:1 Not Rated
From John Schlesinger, the acclaimed director of Darling, Midnight Cowboy, Sunday Bloody Sunday, The Day of the Locust, Marathon Man and The Falcon and the Snowman, comes this British New Wave comedy-drama starring Tom Courtenay (The Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner, The Dresser) and Julie Christie (Doctor Zhivago, Fahrenheit 451). Courtenay gives a flawlessly nuanced performance as Billy Fisher, the underachieving undertaker’s assistant whose constant daydreams and truth-deficient stories earn him the nickname “Billy Liar.” Julie Christie is the handbag-swinging charmer whose free spirit just might inspire Billy to finally move out of his parents’ house. Deftly veering from gritty realism to flamboyant fantasy, Billy Liar is a dazzling and uproarious classic, beautifully shot in black-and-white CinemaScope by Denys N. Coop (The Mind Benders, Rosebud).

738329245306.jpg

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
I'm reading sourced from a 35mm print. Why Oh Why? All that beautiful scenery.

More likely not a print, but a 35mm IP scanned at 2K. As for why? Cost. Same as everything else.

This is 2K scan of the 35mm IP and maybe you should watch it first before complaining? The restoration from the 65mm camera negative would've cost low six figures.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
This is 2K scan of the 35mm IP and maybe you should watch it first before complaining? The restoration from the 65mm camera negative would've cost low six figures.

I, for one, am grateful to KL for releasing this title, a holy grail of sorts for me (and I suspect a couple of others). I totally understand going the 35mm route. This is not a title that's going to exactly cause a stampede in the blu ray department so I get not investing in a major restoration. As the market for physical media slowly but surely continues to diminish, that Song Of Norway is being released at all is cause for celebration. Thank you, KL.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Do you have any Kirk Douglas movies coming out in 2020? I don't need any film titles, so "yes" or "no" will suffice.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks