What's new

Kino-Lorber Insider Announcement Thread (Read Guidelines Post #3) (8 Viewers)

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
The 16th Annual Rondo Hatton Classic Horror Awards!

Kino Lorber has received 13 nominations:

BEST CLASSIC DVD/BLU-RAY
— DELUGE (1933, Kino)
— THE MAN WHO COULD CHEAT DEATH (1959; Kino)
— RAWHEAD REX (1986, Kino)

BEST COLLECTION
— FRITZ LANG: THE SILENT FILMS (Kino). Twelve Blu-Ray discs, 11 films.

BEST RESTORATION OR UPGRADE
— ADVENTURES OF CAPTAIN MARVEL (1941, Kino) 4K restoration of 12-chapter serial.
— DELUGE (1933, Kino) Long overdue restoration of early disaster film.

BEST COMMENTARY TRACK
— GEORGE PAVOU (director), STEPHEN THROWER: Rawhead Rex (1986, Kino)
— JAMES NEIBAUR: Visit to a Small Planet (1960, Kino)
— MICHAEL SCHLESINGER: Daredevils of the Red Circle (1939 serial, Kino)
— RICHARD HARLAND SMITH: Deluge (1933, Kino)
— TOM WEAVER, GARY RHODES, DR. ROBERT J. KISS: The Invisible Ghost (Lugosi 1941, Kino)
— CHRIS ALEXANDER, Cyborg 2087 (1966, Kino)

BEST DVD EXTRA
— ADVENTURES OF CAPTAIN MARVEL (1941, Kino): 10 commentators share duties for all 12 chapters.

cropped-rondobanner2.jpg

Last edited:

PODER

Supporting Actor
Real Name
PETER JABLONSKI
Many thanks, Cees. Unfortunately, about the only thing I still retain from my French classes,
over a half century ago, is "Mais oui!"

Travis87

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Travis
I ordered a handful in the sale myself.

House of the Long Shadows
Premature Burial
Good the Bad & the Ugly
Hangover Square
Rolling Vengeance

And The Master series came from amazon today.

Joel Arndt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Arndt
Congratulations on the Rondo Hatton noms.! Three noms. for Deluge? It didn't get this much recognition in 1933, so it's amazing to see this 85 years later. I own and really enjoy it, so highly recommended.

And, thanks for the sale! I picked up:

Barton Fink
The Garden of Allah
Not as a Stranger
Portrait of Jennie
Since You Went Away

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
3/6 Topaze (1933) | A Fistful of Dynamite 3/13 A Lion in Winter (4K Restoration) | Running Wild (2K) | It's the Old Army Game (2K) 3/20 No Orchids for Miss Blandish | Highway Dragnet (4K) | Stingaree (2K) | Hallelujah the Hills 3/27 Joan of Arc (70th Anniversary) (2K) | The Outer Limits (Seasons 1) | The Soldier 4/3 Celtic Pride | The 6th Man | My Father the Hero | Two Much/Miami Rhapsody (Banderas Double Bill) | The Boneyard (Code Red) 4/10 The Psychopath (4K) | Deceived | Bad Company (1995) | Consenting Adults | Manhandled | Stage Struck | Luther 4/17Trigger, Jr. (4K) | Singing Guns (4K) | Camp Nowhere | Straight Talk 4/24 The Maze (4K) 3-D | Trapeze | A Woman's Devotion | Ruby Gentry | The Holy Mountain (1926) | Caravan to Vaccares (Scorpion) | Bombshell: The Hedy Lamarr Story (2017 Zeitgeist) | The DogFather (17 Cartoons) | MisterJaw (34 Cartoons) 5/1 The Half-Breed/The Good Bad Man (Fairbanks/Dwann Double Bill) | King Hu's Legend of the Mountain (4K) 5/8Special Delivery (4K) | The Maids 5/15 A Lady Takes a Chance (4K) | The Sacrifice (4K Special Edition) 5/22 A Fistful of Dollars (4K Restoration) 5/29 The Reincarnation of Peter Proud (4K) 6/5 Mario Bava's Four Times That Night (2K) 6/12 Jacques Brel is Alive and Well and Living in Paris (2K) 6/19 Bill Gunn's Personal Problems (DVD only)

Coming Soon:
The Big Country | Big Trouble | The Bigamist | A Bill of Divorcement (1932) | The Day After | The Farmer's Daughter | For a Few Dollars More (New 4K Restoration) | The Grissom Gang | Irma La Douce | Jack the Giant Killer | The Killing of Sister George | Kundun | The Last Command | The Legend of Hillbilly John | A Man Alone | The Martian Chronicles | Miracles | The Night Stalker | The Night Strangler | Old Ironsides | The Outer Limits (Seasons 2) | Pink Panther Cartoons Volumes 2-6 | Sangaree 3-D | Spetters | The Spiral Staircase | A Strange Adventure | Trilogy of Terror | Under Capricorn (4K) | What Ever Happened to Aunt Alice | The Woman in the Window

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Coming to DVD and Blu-ray May 1st from Kino Classics - in a New 4K Restoration

LEGEND OF THE MOUNTAIN (1979)
A film by King Hu

"A visual ravishment." - Manohla Dargis, NEW YORK TIMES

Special Features:
Booklet essay by writer and programmer Grady Hendrix
Interview with film critic Tony Rayns
Video essay by film critic Travis Crawford
Trailer

Includes reversible art. Front cover:
Screen Shot 2018-02-27 at 12.23.25 PM.png

Reverse cover:
Screen Shot 2018-02-27 at 12.23.49 PM.png

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
Coming to DVD and Blu-ray May 1st from Kino Classics - in a New 4K Restoration

LEGEND OF THE MOUNTAIN (1979)
A film by King Hu

"A visual ravishment." - Manohla Dargis, NEW YORK TIMES

Special Features:
Booklet essay by writer and programmer Grady Hendrix
Interview with film critic Tony Rayns
Video essay by film critic Travis Crawford
Trailer

Includes reversible art. Front cover:
View attachment 44395

Reverse cover:
View attachment 44394
I've been attempting to see this film for decades. While there is a Hong Kong Region Free DVD, it wouldn't play on my machine. So I'm really happy that KIno has obtained the rights to this film, and is releasing what appears to be a recent scan. Although directed by KIng Hu who invented most of the format and themes, as well as visual techniques for Wuxia films in such masterpieces as DRAGON INN & COME DRINK WITH ME, I believe this film is more meditative and spiritual, while still mainlining a very unique visual sensibility that is very much part of his earlier films. In any case, I'm really looking forward to this!

Arthur Powell

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Arthur
I just watched my blu-ray of "The Covered Wagon," and I wanted to commend Kino for doing so well with the release. Just a few years ago, I had despaired of ever seeing disc releases for the copyrighted Paramount silents, but now here we are seeing high quality HD remasters of some of these great films. Also, thanks for using Gaylord Carter's magnificent Wurlitzer score which perfectly complements the film. If you do another deal with Paramount, please try to license more of these silent era gems.

Eastmancolor

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim Harwood
I just watched my blu-ray of "The Covered Wagon," and I wanted to commend Kino for doing so well with the release. Just a few years ago, I had despaired of ever seeing disc releases for the copyrighted Paramount silents, but now here we are seeing high quality HD remasters of some of these great films. Also, thanks for using Gaylord Carter's magnificent Wurlitzer score which perfectly complements the film. If you do another deal with Paramount, please try to license more of these silent era gems.

I share Arthur Powell's opinion on THE COVERED WAGON release. Very glad to have it! I used to own a 16mm print of this film years ago (and not a stellar one) and I also have the VHS tape that Paramount released in the 1980's. I've also seen the film projected in 35mm. The new Kino disc looks the best the film has looked in my lifetime. Sure it's not perfect, very few silent era films will look "perfect" today, but contrast levels and sharpness are excellent.

Thanks Kino for putting this out. I for one will show my support for all of your silent film releases by buying them day one, even if they're titles I'm only marginally interested in. Anything to help make future silent Blu-ray releases possible!

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I ordered Intermezzo and The Thomas Crown Affair. Blind buying for + or - 10.00 I can handle. I hope there will be another sale with the April Pre-orders and The Outer Limits.

Also looking forward to Jack the GIant Killer which you (KL) said will be in June, and also Woman in the Window.. :)

I was very happy with the KL release of Baby Secret of the Lost Legend ...hopefully you will release more titles that Mill Creek released in their typical cheaply produced blu rays and DVDs. They have two movies that Im a huge fan of - Deep Rising and The Puppet Masters which would be at the top of my list for upgraded blu ray releases .. I hope that KL has access to them..

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks