1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Kino Lorber Insider (Read Guidelines Post #3)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Kino Lorber Insider, Nov 20, 2017.

1. timk1041

timk1041 Second Unit

Timothy
    Probably so.

2. Message #5102 of 5755 Jan 29, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2020
    DeWilson

DeWilson Cinematographer

Denny
    So basically KL chooses from available or offered titles based on quality of elements - the availability or ability to obtain an HD transfer from the elements and/or projected number of units that can be sold?

Does that mean KL will pass on an offered, or title of interest, if the elements are not up to a quality standard and projected sales can't reach the benchmark?

I know KL does maintain a high quality standard.

3. skylark68

skylark68 Screenwriter

Timothy
    Is Gung Ho with Randolph Scott still with Universal? That would be a fun one to own.

4. Kino Lorber Insider

Insider

Insider
    There's no basically this or that, it all depends on the deal and the films that are available, etc. Every deal is different.

As I previously mentioned, the physical media business is not what it used to be and numbers continue to drop every year. So, we have to be more careful with our selections and how many restoration projects we're taking on, we have no problem acquiring and remastering bigger titles like Beau Geste (New 4K master by KL), but a title like Skippy (1931) would only be acquired if it was available in HD - we passed on similar titles for the same reason. It's not like we're not willing to do new transfers, KL remastered 30 films in the first Universal deal, all in 2K or 4K and we plan to remaster another 30 or more this time around. And we've remastered hundreds of films in the past few years.

We rarely drop something if we're not happy with the current transfer, we usually pay for a new transfer. Like we did with Charley Varrick, Thunderbolt and Lightfoot, Force 10 from Navarone, Irma La Douce and dozens of others.

Suzanne.S, B-ROLL, MarkA and 22 others like this.
  5. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    It’s very generous of you to take the time to illuminate the challenges physical media companies face in today’s environment. I am consistently impressed by KL’s output in and of itself, but it’s even more noteworthy when placed in context.

6. Thomas T

Thomas T Producer

If or when Flower Drum Song sees the light of day on blu ray, most likely they'd port over the excellent commentary from Nancy Kwan and the late Nick Redman that's on the DVD. I would hope so.

MarkA, ajabrams, Darby67 and 2 others like this.
  7. Message #5107 of 5755 Jan 29, 2020
    Dan Cooper

Dan Cooper Agent

Dan
    I am very grateful for what you are doing for Gary cooper titles and for movies like charley varrick and thunderbolt and lightfoot (both of which i own) along with dozens of others. Thankyou for everthing you do and hope you can keep on keeping on. My only wish is that i could afford to buy all of them but maybe with a few kino sales I can get close to that goal.

8. Message #5108 of 5755 Jan 29, 2020
    Dan Cooper

Dan Cooper Agent

Dan
    Anyone here have a favorite cary grant paramount 30's title? Mine would be Wedding Present. Similar to His Girl Friday but not as good but how could it be. It just may be the first film that started the whole cary grant persona he was famous for. It was the last film he did for paramount and a very good movie just as long as you dont compare it up to His Girl Friday.

9. DeWilson

DeWilson Cinematographer

Denny
    Very interesting - thank you. :)

Darby67 and battlebeast like this.
  10. battlebeast

battlebeast Cinematographer

Warren
    I’m disappointed. I guess having no HD master is a problem; looks like SKIPPY is in the same boat as TURNING POINT... never gonna happen. SIGH...

Many other KINO titles to look forward too, though.

Thank you for the blunt Answer, Mr. Insider, I appreciate it none the less.

11. JohnMor

JohnMor Producer
    Supporter

John Moreland
    Any chance that any of the 1970’s TV movies in the deal star Elizabeth Montgomery?

12. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    I watched them all!
    https://www.hometheaterforum.com/community/threads/cary-grant-the-complete-filmography-watching-all-of-his-movies.347637/#post-4378391

Wedding Present is up there for me as well, probably would be my choice too.

13. Message #5113 of 5755 Jan 30, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
    Dan Cooper

Dan Cooper Agent

Dan
    The legend of Lizzy Bordon (1975) was a million times better than that garbage they had on a couple years ago. It would be an instant buy for me.

JohnMor and dana martin like this.
  14. timk1041

timk1041 Second Unit

Timothy
    There has to be more than 5 people who would want this. Very good movie.

Gary OS likes this.
  15. timk1041

timk1041 Second Unit

Timothy
    I guess I understand about Skippy and certain other titles. Thank you, KL. All of us on here are grateful for all the great releases from you and what ever else you can release.

Gary OS and Flashgear like this.
  16. Message #5116 of 5755 Jan 30, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
    Dan Cooper

Dan Cooper Agent

Dan
    Are you at liberty to say how many cooper titles you have in new deal. I understand if you can't or if you dont know because deals still being worked out..

17. Randy Korstick

Randy Korstick Producer

Its been public domain since the 80's and I think it still is which is why there are no decent looking copies of it. I would love to see this one remastered for blu ray.

Flashgear and skylark68 like this.
  18. NoirFan

NoirFan Auditioning

Peter Donolo
    I have a legitimate DVD of Christmas Holiday, from the UK, which I bought on amazon.co.uk. Of course, you need a Region 2 player to watch it.

I would love to see Kino issue more Universal noir and noir-ish films from the forties and fifties:
    • The Night Has a Thousand Eyes
    • The Web
    • The Tattered Dress

Darby67, Flashgear, ScottHM and 2 others like this.
  19. timk1041

timk1041 Second Unit

Timothy
    Yes. I have seen it both on Ebay & Amazon. There aren't the legal issues involved there for this title like there are for the U.S. You just have to be able to tell the difference between legit copies and ones that aren't. There are plenty of great movies available in Europe in Region 2 that unfortunately aren't available in Region 1. By the way, I agree with getting more film noir titles out. 3 good choices mentioned.

Darby67 likes this.
  20. Gary OS

Gary OS Producer

Gary
    Actually, film noir titles have been so prevalent over the past 10+ years on physical media, I'm more in the mood for domestic comedies (like "Here Come the Nelsons"), some light-hearted musicals (think Bing Crosby 30's stuff), family style westerns (as opposed to the late 50's/60's gritty stuff), and straight up fun mysteries (things akin to Charlie Chan films). Unfortunately, I know that's not the tastes of the buying public at large so I'm out of luck most of the time. But I am holding out hope Kino will give me a few of those type titles in this latest Universal/Paramount batch.

Gary "I'd also love some of those jungle/sarong films from the 30's/40's - always easy-going and enjoyable" O.

LeoA, Jeff Flugel, Gary16 and 10 others like this.