What's new

Kino-Lorber Insider Announcement Thread (Read Guidelines Post #3) (13 Viewers)

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
Any chance of "The Munsters" being the TV show? A fairly short run with only two seasons, and Universal has shown a willingness to license the property by licensing "Munster Go Home" to Shout.
Would be great on blu ray with those 2 or 3 episodes with the correct background music or cues.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
... A new to home video title like Run For Your Life ....

I've heard there are rights issues with Run For Your Life, but perhaps they have been cleared up.

...and let's not limit us to MCA/Universal titles,either - there are properties from NBC Productions - and older shows owned by NBC Production who's ancillary rights may not have ended up at NTA (Which through a series of ownership changes now is owned by ViacomCBS) when NBC Films Shut down and they took over.the Pre-1973 NBC production properties.

There's one show in particular I've often wondered about... T.H.E. CAT - Produced by NBC productions, it's short run,it's cult following and perhaps the 2nd most bootlegged 1960's TV Show after THE GREEN HORNET! :) But then, the ancillary rights may be with CBS.

Beyond that, There's also a WEALTH of Anthology shows MCA/REVUE produced which might make appealing releases - both the B&W and Color series, half and hour long shows - Too many to list, but loads to name, known guest stars...and they anthologies actually are a better fit for the company as companions to the theatrical films.

...and with the anthologies, they could be released as "Best of", rather than seasons/series allowing for flexibility.

Last edited:

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
The way the Insider has been talking, for those trying to figure out the TV show, don't go hoping for any long-running shows. The Insider made it sound like Kino is doing the work on it, which would imply, at this point, shows with shorter runs (so the likes of Murder She Wrote and Columbo seem highly unlikely).

Unless NBCUNiversal has already remastered some series in 2K/4K format already.

Camps

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tom
We've looked into it, at this time a release is unlikely, but still possible.

Thank you as always for being so responsive (and patient).

I know it's a big music-rights issue and, given the admittedly finite market for such a title, I don't think it would be fair to expect you at Kino and Universal to stick your necks out to bring us this title... but if you manage to find a way, you will get a lot of well-deserved plaudits (not to mention Day 1 purchases) from us fans. :thumbsup:

Astairefan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Neil Powell
Unless NBCUNiversal has already remastered some series in 2K/4K format already.
Well, the *impression* I was getting from the Insider was that they (Kino) would be doing the work on the TV series. Of course, I may have misread/misinterpreted their comments, so there is that. HOWEVER, they did indicate they have no interest in doing long-running shows, and it makes sense. Seriously, this late in the game for physical media, it is not financially feasible for most of the studios and labels (outside of Mill Creek) to do complete series sets for these long-running series. They can only really do single season sets. But for longer shows (like the twelve season Murder She Wrote), most consumers would probably start to worry about whether the show would be finished, and instead wait for a complete series set that may never come. So, unless you want only part of a series to come out, you can probably forget about long-running series, regardless of whether the studios have already remastered the series or not.
Admittedly, the likelihood that Kino got a TV series I want is highly unlikely at this point, given that they have already said they don't have The Munsters. The only other Universal shows I would want would be McHale's Navy, It Takes A Thief or Going My Way (all of which seem unlikely to me).

JamesSmith

Senior HTF Member
Any chance the Universal releases for the sixties would include, "What's So Bad About Feeling Good?" and "The Perils of Pauline" The Pat Boone version?
--James

topanga

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Felicia
My personal hope for the Universal tv series would be THE NAME OF THE GAME. We were all excited when this was announced about 5 years ago and then quickly cancelled.

If it is a one season show then my hope would be for HAROLD ROBBINS' THE SURVIVORS. This series was more like a 15 episode mini-series.

Both these shows had major talent both as regulars and guest-stars.

Todd J Moore

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Todd Moore
Not sure who produced it but B.A.D. Cats with Michelle Pfeiffer always intrigued me though I heard it's pretty bad. Only went 10 episodes, four of which were unaired.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I'm hoping the Universal deal presents us with some 40's and 50's movies that have never had a home video release before like:
The 4 movies the Ritz Brother did for Universal (only 1 has a dvd mod release)
The four movies Olsen and Johnson did for Universal
Sudan (1945) The last of the Jon Hall/Maria Montez/Sabu technicolor films
Yankee Pasha

Camps

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tom
I'm hoping the Universal deal presents us with some 40's and 50's movies that have never had a home video release before like:

The four movies Olsen and Johnson did for Universal

Yes! Especially Crazy House and Ghost Catchers. There's an acceptable DVD out there of Hellzapoppin but these other two scream for some attention..

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
I’ve been thinking it’s been a really good year for Brian Donlevy.

Shout put out The Glass Key and Quatermass 2 (thank you Kino for Quatermass Xperiment all those years ago).

Criterion is putting out Destry Rides Again.

And Kino just gave us The Great McGinty, and will soon be giving us his Oscar Nominated performance in Beau Geste

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Coming April 7th on Blu-ray!
From the Acclaimed Director of of The Shepherd of the Hills, The House on 92nd Street, Kiss of Death, Rawhide, 23 Paces to Baker Street and True Grit!

The Lives of a Bengal Lancer (1935)
• Brand New 4K Master
• NEW Audio Commentary by Film Historian Eddy Von Mueller
• Dual-Layered BD50 Disc
• Optional English Subtitles
• Theatrical Trailer

738329244842.jpg

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
I just want to thank Kino for releasing Wings of the Hawk and Taza, Son of Cochise on 3D Blu Ray. It's a shame Universal's 3D shorts and The Glass Web won't make it but I'm very grateful for everything Kino has given us thus far. Out of curiosity are there any more 80s 3D movies possible?

We're looking into releasing more 3-D titles (from all decades). Revenge of the Shogun Women (1977) should follow the two westerns.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks