What's new

Kino-Lorber Insider Announcement Thread (Read Guidelines Post #3) (2 Viewers)

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I can't recall seeing any Universal silents pre-1923, but I have a Blu-ray of THE HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME from that year, and it looks pretty ropey, I believe because it is taken from 16mm source material as the OCN is long gone (hard to believe all 35mm prints were destroyed...?). It's also in the public domain. Supposedly a newly-copyrighted edition running about 15 minutes short of the original's 133 minutes is out there with a new score. Sure would love to see that one getting a restoration and decent release. I know nothing about Baby Peggy except that she was a big box office draw back then, in the same way that Jackie Coogan was. Uni released a whole bunch of films with their studio child mascot, in the 20's. The studio was putting out a movie a week then (in the days when studios owned their own theater chains and had to supply them constantly with new product), and God knows how many survive or, more to the point, which ones will be released by Kino. The 1910's output begins in 1914, and I know absolutely nothing about anything that far back. Not much help...just observing.

DeWilson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Denny
Universal 2 by Decade so far (includes TV movies and series):

1910s - 4
1920s - 8
1930s - 21
1940s - 27
1950s - 30
1960s - 21
1970s - 28
1980s - 21
1990s - 11
2000s - 7

27 films from the 1940's? May I ask how many are from the "Universal-International" era? (Mid-1946 onward)

Danny Burk

Second Unit
It's true that the 1923 HUNCHBACK doesn't survive in 35mm...all that's left comes from 16mm Show-At-Home prints. I'm delighted to see so many silents in the batch, though...these must include some of the titles that Universal did restore recently. I think they include THE GOOSE WOMAN and SKINNER'S DRESS SUIT, both of which are terrific.

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
I love "Skinner's Dress Suit" (1926). It's like an early prototype of the later Columbia 'Blondie and Dagwood' series. And coincidentally, Arthur Lake has a supporting role in the silent. Hope this could be one of Kino's 1920s titles.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Coming April 7th on Blu-ray!
From the Legendary Director of The Merry Widow, Bluebeard's Eight Wife, Ninotchka, The Shop Around the Corner, To Be or Not to Be and Heaven Can Wait!

Angel (1937)
• Brand New 4K Master
• NEW Audio Commentary by Film Historian Joseph McBride, author of How Did Lubitsch Do It?
• Dual-Layered BD50 Disc
• Optional English Subtitles
• Reversible Art
• Trailers

View attachment 67503
Is the omission of the title on the artwork intentional? I guess it's like the Beatles White Album.

Richard M S

Screenwriter
I would bet the 1950's KinoLorber titles include at least some of Sophia Loren's Paramount films. I recently opened and watched 3 Paramount dvds I bought decades ago and found the films (Houseboat - costarring Cary Grant, It Started In Naples -costarring Clark Gable and Heller In Pink Tights costarring Anthony Quinn) - all still very entertaining, especially her film with Gable, which looked the best of the three.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I would bet the 1950's KinoLorber titles include at least some of Sophia Loren's Paramount films.

I hope you didn't bet too much because KL's deal is with Universal, not Paramount. Universal has the rights to Paramount's pre-1950 catalog (with some exceptions like The Miracle Of Morgan's Creek and Samson And Delilah) but Paramount retains rights to its titles from 1950 onward.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Glad to see you back on the forum after a long absence. I trust you are okay if you are posting again.

I've posted occasionally, just busy with work and watching movies. For that matter, I think I managed to watch 41 feature films released by Kino in 2019. I dare not look up how many I purchased over the last year, but Kino has the next largest footprint in my collection after Criterion.

Universal 2 by Decade so far (includes TV movies and series):
1910s - 4
1920s - 8

Wow, I wasn't expecting this many silent-era films! From looking online, seems like among these dozen could be films by John Ford, William Wyler, Tod Browning, Dorothy Arzner, and Lois Weber (among others).

I can't recall seeing any Universal silents pre-1923, but I have a Blu-ray of THE HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME from that year, and it looks pretty ropey, I believe because it is taken from 16mm source material as the OCN is long gone (hard to believe all 35mm prints were destroyed...?). It's also in the public domain. Supposedly a newly-copyrighted edition running about 15 minutes short of the original's 133 minutes is out there with a new score. Sure would love to see that one getting a restoration and decent release. I know nothing about Baby Peggy except that she was a big box office draw back then, in the same way that Jackie Coogan was. Uni released a whole bunch of films with their studio child mascot, in the 20's. The studio was putting out a movie a week then (in the days when studios owned their own theater chains and had to supply them constantly with new product), and God knows how many survive or, more to the point, which ones will be released by Kino. The 1910's output begins in 1914, and I know absolutely nothing about anything that far back. Not much help...just observing.

The only Blu-ray of Hunchback is Flicker Alley's edition, which is the best version available. I don't think any 35mm exists and the Blu-ray uses original 16mm show-at-home prints made from the camera negative. I wouldn't expect a new edition unless a 35mm print surfaces. The Phantom of the Opera, on the other hand, is said to have some new material surface.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
We have some Deanna Durbin...

That's very welcomed news! While I'd really rather see her 30's material (any of "Three Smart Girls", "Three Smart Girls Grow Up", "100 Men and a Girl", "Mad about Music", "That Certain Age" or "First Love" would be fantastic), I'll take anything I can get.

Now, if we can only persuade Kino to release some of those early Dorothy Lamour Sarong films... :D

Gary "also pleased to hear about a possible Audie Murphy set" O.

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
We have some Deanna Durbin, CHRISTMAS HOLIDAY has never been available for one reason or another. Most likely some legal issues.
Christmas Holiday, along with Hers To Hold and Spring Parade have legal issues I believe. These 3 titles were never released on VHS back in the early 1990s when all the other Durbin titles owned by Universal were put out on VHS. All of those have been put out on DVD by Universal except His Butler's Sister. One other title It's A Date was acquired by MGM years ago when they remade that movie as Nancy Goes To Rio. It's A Date was released on VHS at one time by MGM/UA video and then on DVD a few years back by Warner.

DannyLewis

Stunt Coordinator
Christmas Holiday, along with Hers To Hold and Spring Parade have legal issues I believe. These 3 titles were never released on VHS back in the early 1990s when all the other Durbin titles owned by Universal were put out on VHS. All of those have been put out on DVD by Universal except His Butler's Sister. One other title It's A Date was acquired by MGM years ago when they remade that movie as Nancy Goes To Rio. It's A Date was released on VHS at one time by MGM/UA video and then on DVD a few years back by Warner.

Actually I have both "Her to hold" and "His Butler's Sister" on dvd from UK, as part of a Deanna Durbin Collection. They were all official releases back then.

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
Actually I have both "Her to hold" and "His Butler's Sister" on dvd from UK, as part of a Deanna Durbin Collection. They were all official releases back then.
Okay. Yes. I do remember seeing those. In fact, those other couple titles are available there as well. I was referring to here in the States.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
Christmas Holiday, along with Hers To Hold and Spring Parade have legal issues I believe. These 3 titles were never released on VHS back in the early 1990s when all the other Durbin titles owned by Universal were put out on VHS. All of those have been put out on DVD by Universal except His Butler's Sister.
ARRRGH, of course my friends favourite Durbin. :( the one never on disc. Sigh...

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Coming April 7th on Blu-ray!

Supernatural (1933)
• Brand New 2K Master
• NEW Audio Commentary by Film Historian Tim Lucas
• Optional English Subtitles
• Theatrical Trailer

Supernatural_Bluray_1.jpg

Last edited:

Marc Hampton

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Marc
SUPERNATURAL is a must for me. My "want list" is dwindling...i'll need to make a new one soon.

I'd sell a kidney for that one-sheet poster.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    acinstallation172
    Recent bookmarks