1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Kino Lorber Insider (Read Guidelines Post #3)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Kino Lorber Insider, Nov 20, 2017.

1. Dick

Dick Lead Actor
    Supporter

Rick
    I can't recall seeing any Universal silents pre-1923, but I have a Blu-ray of THE HUNCHBACK OF NOTRE DAME from that year, and it looks pretty ropey, I believe because it is taken from 16mm source material as the OCN is long gone (hard to believe all 35mm prints were destroyed...?). It's also in the public domain. Supposedly a newly-copyrighted edition running about 15 minutes short of the original's 133 minutes is out there with a new score. Sure would love to see that one getting a restoration and decent release. I know nothing about Baby Peggy except that she was a big box office draw back then, in the same way that Jackie Coogan was. Uni released a whole bunch of films with their studio child mascot, in the 20's. The studio was putting out a movie a week then (in the days when studios owned their own theater chains and had to supply them constantly with new product), and God knows how many survive or, more to the point, which ones will be released by Kino. The 1910's output begins in 1914, and I know absolutely nothing about anything that far back. Not much help...just observing.

timk1041 and Flashgear like this.
  2. DeWilson

DeWilson Cinematographer

Denny
    27 films from the 1940's? May I ask how many are from the "Universal-International" era? (Mid-1946 onward)

3. Danny Burk

Danny Burk Second Unit

It's true that the 1923 HUNCHBACK doesn't survive in 35mm...all that's left comes from 16mm Show-At-Home prints. I'm delighted to see so many silents in the batch, though...these must include some of the titles that Universal did restore recently. I think they include THE GOOSE WOMAN and SKINNER'S DRESS SUIT, both of which are terrific.

Suzanne.S, timk1041 and Bert Greene like this.
  4. Bert Greene

Bert Greene Supporting Actor

I love "Skinner's Dress Suit" (1926). It's like an early prototype of the later Columbia 'Blondie and Dagwood' series. And coincidentally, Arthur Lake has a supporting role in the silent. Hope this could be one of Kino's 1920s titles.

Flashgear likes this.
  5. Mark-P

Mark-P Producer

Mark Probst
    Is the omission of the title on the artwork intentional? I guess it's like the Beatles White Album.

6. Richard M S

Richard M S Supporting Actor

I would bet the 1950's KinoLorber titles include at least some of Sophia Loren's Paramount films. I recently opened and watched 3 Paramount dvds I bought decades ago and found the films (Houseboat - costarring Cary Grant, It Started In Naples -costarring Clark Gable and Heller In Pink Tights costarring Anthony Quinn) - all still very entertaining, especially her film with Gable, which looked the best of the three.

7. Thomas T

Thomas T Producer

I hope you didn't bet too much because KL's deal is with Universal, not Paramount. Universal has the rights to Paramount's pre-1950 catalog (with some exceptions like The Miracle Of Morgan's Creek and Samson And Delilah) but Paramount retains rights to its titles from 1950 onward.

timk1041 and Camps like this.
  8. Richard M S

Richard M S Supporting Actor

Oh I overlooked the crucial dates, thanks for the clarification!

9. Patrick McCart

Patrick McCart Lead Actor
    Supporter

Patrick McCart
    I've posted occasionally, just busy with work and watching movies. For that matter, I think I managed to watch 41 feature films released by Kino in 2019. I dare not look up how many I purchased over the last year, but Kino has the next largest footprint in my collection after Criterion.

Wow, I wasn't expecting this many silent-era films! From looking online, seems like among these dozen could be films by John Ford, William Wyler, Tod Browning, Dorothy Arzner, and Lois Weber (among others).

The only Blu-ray of Hunchback is Flicker Alley's edition, which is the best version available. I don't think any 35mm exists and the Blu-ray uses original 16mm show-at-home prints made from the camera negative. I wouldn't expect a new edition unless a 35mm print surfaces. The Phantom of the Opera, on the other hand, is said to have some new material surface.

10. Gary OS

Gary OS Producer

Gary
    That's very welcomed news! While I'd really rather see her 30's material (any of "Three Smart Girls", "Three Smart Girls Grow Up", "100 Men and a Girl", "Mad about Music", "That Certain Age" or "First Love" would be fantastic), I'll take anything I can get.

Now, if we can only persuade Kino to release some of those early Dorothy Lamour Sarong films... :D

Gary "also pleased to hear about a possible Audie Murphy set" O.

11. Gary OS

Gary OS Producer

Gary
    Guessing the 1940's will be about an even split of Universal and Paramount films. Yes? No?

LeoA, Flashgear and Darby67 like this.
  12. DannyLewis

DannyLewis Stunt Coordinator

Are there any movies starring Olivia DeHavilland in this new Universal deal? What about her sister, Joan Fontaine?

13. timk1041

timk1041 Second Unit

Timothy
    Christmas Holiday, along with Hers To Hold and Spring Parade have legal issues I believe. These 3 titles were never released on VHS back in the early 1990s when all the other Durbin titles owned by Universal were put out on VHS. All of those have been put out on DVD by Universal except His Butler's Sister. One other title It's A Date was acquired by MGM years ago when they remade that movie as Nancy Goes To Rio. It's A Date was released on VHS at one time by MGM/UA video and then on DVD a few years back by Warner.

Flashgear, Darby67 and Richard M S like this.
  14. timk1041

timk1041 Second Unit

Timothy
    I have. It's on the Universal Pre-Code Hollywood Collection DVD set. The Cheat is one of 6 movies on that collection.

15. DannyLewis

DannyLewis Stunt Coordinator

Actually I have both "Her to hold" and "His Butler's Sister" on dvd from UK, as part of a Deanna Durbin Collection. They were all official releases back then.

16. timk1041

timk1041 Second Unit

Timothy
    Okay. Yes. I do remember seeing those. In fact, those other couple titles are available there as well. I was referring to here in the States.

17. battlebeast

battlebeast Cinematographer

Warren
    ARRRGH, of course my friends favourite Durbin. :( the one never on disc. Sigh...

18. Message #4958 of 5392 Jan 22, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2020
    Kino Lorber Insider

Insider

Insider
    Coming April 7th on Blu-ray!

Supernatural (1933)
    • Brand New 2K Master
    • NEW Audio Commentary by Film Historian Tim Lucas
    • Optional English Subtitles
    • Theatrical Trailer

Supernatural_Bluray_1.

Suzanne.S, ABaglivi, ponset and 17 others like this.
  19. Keith Cobby

Keith Cobby Cinematographer

Keith Cobby
    Are there any Bob Hope or VistaVision titles in the new deal?

LeoA and Flashgear like this.
  20. Marc Hampton

Marc Hampton Agent

Marc
    SUPERNATURAL is a must for me. My "want list" is dwindling...i'll need to make a new one soon.

I'd sell a kidney for that one-sheet poster.