What's new

Kino-Lorber Insider Announcement Thread (Read Guidelines Post #3) (7 Viewers)

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
My set, purchased from Amazon in November 2018, is on 5 single-sided pressed discs.

Timothy, Jack and Paul:

Alfred Hitchcock Presents Season 6 was originally released on burned discs but there were several playback issues reported in the Amazon reviews and elsewhere. Very quietly Universal gradually switched Season 6 to pressed discs. After hearing about this switch on boards like HTF, I purchased my set from Amazon in October 2016 and they were pressed discs. I am sorry to hear that it is difficult to obtain Season 6 at a reasonable price.

I would love to see Kino work out a deal with Universal to release Season 7 of Alfred Hitchcock Presents and all three seasons of the Alfred Hitchcock Hour.

Of course, i would love to see Kino work out a deal with CBS to release seasons 2, 3, and 4 of The Defenders but that is a different issue entirely...:D

Darby67

Screenwriter
Real Name
Sean
Coming Summer 2020!

Lonely Are the Brave (1962) Starring Kirk Douglas, Gena Rawlands, Walter Matthau, Carroll O'Connor, William Schallert and George Kennedy - Shot by Philip H. Lathrop (They Shoot Horses, Don't They?) - Music by Jerry Goldsmith (The Omen) - Screenplay by Dalton Trumbo (Roman Holiday) - Directed by David Miller (Midnight Lace).

Since this was previously released by Universal on DVD under their "Universal Backlot Series" banner, I'm assuming Kino will only be releasing this on Blu-ray.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I watched Jivaro and the Nudie-Cuties 3-D disc.

First, the bad: Adam and Six Eves is a fairly awful movie, though it has 3-D. It's jarring to see nudity in a 50s film. Equally jarring is a talking donkey. The Bellboy and the Playgirls is at least a little more interesting as it's a part of Coppola's filmography, though I've heard he made better films than this. If I want some pre-MPAA smut, I'll stick with Herschell Gordon Lewis. (Technical-wise, the disc is excellent)

Like Sangaree, I was surprised how fun this and Jivaro are! Even without 3-D, they're good stories, a nice cast, and Fernando Lamas is a good lead. It's a pity these two became so obscure. As usual, 3-D Film Archive worked plenty of magic. I'm honestly surprised how good these 3-D movies are that are being restored. Likewise, The Maze, Gog, and It Came from Outer Space are also terrific sci-fi 3-D movies.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
I watched Jivaro and the Nudie-Cuties 3-D disc.

First, the bad: Adam and Six Eves is a fairly awful movie, though it has 3-D. It's jarring to see nudity in a 50s film. Equally jarring is a talking donkey. The Bellboy and the Playgirls is at least a little more interesting as it's a part of Coppola's filmography, though I've heard he made better films than this. If I want some pre-MPAA smut, I'll stick with Herschell Gordon Lewis. (Technical-wise, the disc is excellent)

Like Sangaree, I was surprised how fun this and Jivaro are! Even without 3-D, they're good stories, a nice cast, and Fernando Lamas is a good lead. It's a pity these two became so obscure. As usual, 3-D Film Archive worked plenty of magic. I'm honestly surprised how good these 3-D movies are that are being restored. Likewise, The Maze, Gog, and It Came from Outer Space are also terrific sci-fi 3-D movies.

Glad to see you back on the forum after a long absence. I trust you are okay if you are posting again.

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
This is such a great question. Besides Where Do We Go From Here, I'd love to see proper US blu ray releases of Alan Ladd's The Great Gatsby as well as the Deanna Durbin films Christmas Holiday and (especially) Spring Parade.

However I hold out no hope for the now-problematic Dixie, which was Bing Crosby's big starring film released between Holiday Inn and Going My Way.
I have a DVD of Dixie-Region 2 put out by Simply Media Hollywood Classics from Universal and a copy from that on a Region 1 disc.

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
Timothy, Jack and Paul:

Alfred Hitchcock Presents Season 6 was originally released on burned discs but there were several playback issues reported in the Amazon reviews and elsewhere. Very quietly Universal gradually switched Season 6 to pressed discs. After hearing about this switch on boards like HTF, I purchased my set from Amazon in October 2016 and they were pressed discs. I am sorry to hear that it is difficult to obtain Season 6 at a reasonable price.

I would love to see Kino work out a deal with Universal to release Season 7 of Alfred Hitchcock Presents and all three seasons of the Alfred Hitchcock Hour.

Of course, i would love to see Kino work out a deal with CBS to release seasons 2, 3, and 4 of The Defenders but that is a different issue entirely...:D
Thank you for the update. It looks like at least for the time being that Season 6 is out of print for now.

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
It was said to be as such, however, when I bought the set direct from Amazon, easily a couple of years after it debuted, I was happily surprised to see my copy was on pressed discs (silver faces, rather than purple).
I wish I had bought it when it was readily available. I didn't think it would be difficult to find now.

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
Any chance for Double-Features and Box Sets of the Universal films?

Peggy Ryan did a few films with Jack Oakie that would make for some fun double-features and box sets.

Then of course there's Donald O'Conner's films...
I am kind of wondering about some of these titles myself. I have the Universal Story hardcover book that lists all the movies made at the studio from the silent era up to more recent times. It is truly amazing how many 'B' movies were made in the late 30s and early 40s: Plenty of westerns, musicals, dramas, comedies, etc. All really good stuff for the most part. Donald O' Connor, Peggy Ryan, Gloria Jean, The Andrews Sisters, Grace McDonald, Nan Grey, The Little Tough Guys, Hugh Herbert, Joan Davis, Olsen & Johnson, Broderick Crawford, Anne Gwynne, Jane Frazee, Allan Jones, Maria Montez and so many other stars. Then I looked at the ones made in the 50s and wow oh my goodness..how many other great titles still never released with stars like Jeff Chandler, Julia Adams, Tony Curtis, Rock Hudson, Piper Laurie, Shelley Winters and again so many others. What a wealth of material to choose from. I am looking forward to see what comes out later this year.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks