What's new

Kino-Lorber Insider Announcement Thread (Read Guidelines Post #3) (8 Viewers)

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Ya think? I already can see the posts around Thanksgiving saying "I cannot believe 200 titles and they still haven't released.... What are they waiting for!?"

I don't think there will be much complaining. As long as the decade ratio is something like the following I'll be pleased as punch:

1930's - 45 films
1940's - 75 films
1950's - 75 films
1960's & up - 5 films

I'm sure that would be agreeable to everyone. Just kidding, just kidding.

Gary " :D " O.

Last edited:

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
We can now confirm a new KL deal with Universal.
Around 200 titles
From 1916 to 2016
8 TV movies (maybe more)
1 TV series (maybe more)

View attachment 67246

i pray that 1 TV series is Alfred Hitchcock Presents and you guys give it the "Outer Limits" treatment, or Kolchack

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Coming to DVD and Blu-ray March 24th from Metrograph Pictures and Kino Lorber!

Downtown 81
Directed by Edo Bertoglio
Written by Glenn O’Brien
Produced by Maripol, Michael Zilkha, Patrick Montgomery, and Glenn O'Brien
Starring Jean-Michel Basquiat
Featuring Fab 5 Freddy, Deborah Harry
With musical performances by DNA, James White and the Blacks, Kid Creole and the Coconuts

In 1981, writer and Warhol associate Glenn O’Brien, Swiss photographer Edo Bertoglio, and Jean-Michel Basquiat, a graffiti innovator and noise music artist who’d just begun to exhibit his paintings, hit the streets of lower Manhattan to make a movie about the bombed out bohemia that they knew, with a script by O’Brien, Bertoglio directing, and Basquiat, a naturally compelling presence, starring. Left incomplete due to money problems and assembled for release in 2000, Downtown 81, which follows Basquiat trying to move a painting while hustling for a place to sleep, became a window on a lost world of life on the margins and crazy creative ferment.

Special features:
*Audio commentary with writer Luc Sante and artist Lee Quiñones
*Downtown 81: The Metrograph Oral History by Horacio Silva (booklet, Blu-ray only)
*Re-release trailer

DT81_Layered_BR_final2 copy.jpg

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Many thanks! I’ll ask a foolish question... I’ve read that KL will be releasing a few 4K uhd releases from the new deal with Universal. Could they be Psycho and Spartacus ? Both celebrating 60th Year Anniversaries in 2020.

The Universal 4KUHD title is a newer movie. I doubt Universal would license Psycho. Spartacus is with Criterion and if a 4K release happens, it'll most likely be by Universal.

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
For the new deal, all the releases will be in 2020 ?
I don't know if this is with Universal, but I hope it includes the 1981 tv movie Masada.

We've already announced most of April. The first few Universal 2 titles should come out in May. Even at 20+ titles per months, I doubt we can get all of the titles released before the end of 2020. We still have another 100 or so titles to release from our other deals.

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Any chance for Double-Features and Box Sets of the Universal films?

Peggy Ryan did a few films with Jack Oakie that would make for some fun double-features and box sets.

Then of course there's Donald O'Conner's films...

There will be some double features and some three-four film sets.

No Peggy Ryan titles.

One Donald O'Conner one.

Gary16

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
Any chance for Meet Danny Wilson with Frank Sinatra that is on dvd only in region 2?
Also Here Come the Nelsons (with an early appearance by Rock Hudson) that has only been on VHS?
The 1954 Dragnet movie which universal released in their vault series but in the wrong aspect ratio?
Many thanks.

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Happy to hear that there's one William Powell film. If it sells well maybe more of his films can be released
I hope its one of The Canary Murder Case, The Greene Murder Case, The Benson Murder Case, For the Defense or Man of the World.
Also, KL I wanted to know if you have any monster movies or 40s noirs in the new deal
Thanks!

Last edited:

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
We've already announced most of April. The first few Universal 2 titles should come out in May. Even at 20+ titles per months, I doubt we can get all of the titles released before the end of 2020. We still have another 100 or so titles to release from our other deals.

That is amazing. Thank you for continuing to support physical media.

Richard M S

Screenwriter
Thanks for the responses KL Insider.

About 4 years ago TCM's Alan Ladd collection announced, and then omitted “And Now Tomorrow“, due to quality issues (we were told.)

Now I realize it is available as a MOD title, but I was wondering is this title, and/or other Ladds, a part of your acquisition?

Also, the Fred MacMurray Gershwin musical Where Do We Go From Here is another obscure film, any word on that and/or other MacMurray titles?

Thanks again.

Peter M Fitzgerald

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Fitzgerald
i pray that 1 TV series is Alfred Hitchcock Presents and you guys give it the "Outer Limits" treatment, or Kolchack

What would really be cool (though unlikely), is if Kino and Universal tackled the 23 filmed episodes of the hour-long suspense anthology, Suspicion (1957), which were made by Alfred Hitchcock's 'Shamley' production company, for Revue Studios (which became part of Universal Television library). Another 19 episodes were shot live by an alternate production company, unrelated to Hitchcock.

Directors of these filmed episodes from Shamley/Revue:

Alfred Hitchcock (directed the premiere episode, "Four O'Clock", starring E.G. Marshall)
James Neilson (Dr. Syn - Alias the Scarecrow, The Moon-Spinners)
John Brahm (The Lodger, Hangover Square, The Undying Monster, The Locket, The Brasher Doubloon)
Robert Stevens (tons of top Alfred Hitchcock Presents/Hour episodes)
Bernard Girard (Dead Heat on a Merry-Go-Round, The Mad Room)
David Greene (The Shuttered Room, I Start Counting, Godspell, Rich Man Poor Man, Gray Lady Down)
Jules Bricken
Herschel Daugherty
(several of the best episodes of Boris Karloff's Thriller)
Ray Milland (A Man Alone, Lisbon, Panic in Year Zero)
Arthur Hiller (The Americanization of Emily, Tobruk, The Out-of-Towners, Love Story, The Hospital, Silver Streak, The In-Laws)
Lewis Milestone (All Quiet on the Western Front, Rain, The Front Page, Of Mice and Men, A Walk in the Sun, The Strange Love of Martha Ivers, Pork Chop Hill, Ocean's 11)

Check out the roster of guest stars in these 23 filmed episodes:

E.G. Marshall
Harry Dean Stanton
Nancy Kelly
Richard Long

Donna Reed
Herbert Anderson
Harold J. Stone

Margaret O'Brien
Rod Taylor
Henry Silva
Sara Haden
Ruta Lee
Michael Landon

David Wayne
Pat Hingle
Warren Beatty
Frank Campanella
Barbara Barrie
Eric Fleming

Audie Murphy
Jack Warden
Everett Sloane
Susan Kohner
Henry Brandon
Vladimir Sokoloff
Vito Scotti

Robert Flemyng
George Cole
John Williams
Tom Conway

Dan Duryea
Robert Middleton
Charles Bronson
Edward Binns
Robert Cornthwaite
Paul Birch

Patricia Neal
Edward Andrews
Joanne Linville

Ronald Howard
Rosemary Harris
Gladys Cooper
Sebastian Cabot
Melville Cooper

Paul Douglas
Jan Sterling
Anthony Caruso
Lyle Talbot
Herschel Bernardi

Rory Calhoun
Jane Greer
Walter Abel

Harry Guardino
Audrey Totter
Bethel Leslie
John Carradine

Edie Adams
James Gregory

Joseph Cotten
George Peppard
Ken Clark
Thayer David

Barbara Rush
James Donald
James Coburn
Patrick MacNee

Rod Steiger
John Beal
Harold J. Stone

Bette Davis
Barry Atwater
Whit Bissell

Marion Lorne
Sebastian Cabot

Agnes Moorehead
William Shatner
Jack Klugman

Edmund O'Brien
Janice Rule
Horace McMahon
Florence Marly
Edward Binns

Michael Rennie
Pamela Brown
Susan Oliver
Rafael Campos
Heather Angel
Pat Hitchcock

Ray Milland
MacDonald Carey
Kathleen Crowley
Andrew Duggan

Claudette Colbert
Kent Smith
John Mitchum

Last edited:

Louis Letizia

Supporting Actor
With Peacock...Universals upcoming streaming service and their recently announced merger with Warner Brothers for physical media...licensing deals with Criterion, MVD, Arrow and Shout! And now Kinos new deal....Universal will be very well represented in 2020 with catalogue titles we all want to see. I think all our wants will be well represented...but I dare not make a list! Great job Kino.

Paul Rossen

Screenwriter
The Universal 4KUHD title is a newer movie. I doubt Universal would license Psycho. Spartacus is with Criterion and if a 4K release happens, it'll most likely be by Universal.

Thought that would be the case but I felt the question should be asked. Is KL working towards a new deal with MGM?
Many folks on this Forum have for years asked about John Wayne's The Alamo. If it's ever released on bluray I believe it will come from KL or Criterion

Wish someone would release El Cid.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks