What's new

Kino-Lorber Insider Announcement Thread (Read Guidelines Post #3) (9 Viewers)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I once asked the Warner Archive Collection if they planned to release A Bill of Divorcement, and they mentioned they no longer owned the film rights. Through a little digging, I found that many of the David O. Selznick titles (and Kino has released several- Portrait of Jennie and Since You Went Away to name a couple) were owned by ABC Films (a.k.a. Disney). Whether this is still true or not, I don't know, but this was the case when many of these Selznick titles were licensed by Anchor Bay in 2000 for VHS (A Bill of Divorcement included) and MGM for DVD a few years after (minus A Bill of Divorcement. Hope this information proves useful. Regardless of its ownership, I'm just stoked to see this film finally surface on DVD/Blu-Ray after such a long-absence from home entertainment media.
Yeah, I thought of the David O. Selznick connection too with the Vanguard Films, Inc. as just about all of those films are being released by Kino including one of my favorites The Spiral Staircase. However, from what I can gather, A Bill For Divorcement is not a Vanguard Film production nor Selznick International Picture. Unless, Vanguard or Selznick bought its rights after the film was released. Perhaps a side deal also happened later on between Warner and those that control the rights to most of Selznick productions in which they're allowing A Bill of Divorcement to be released on disc.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vanguard_Films

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selznick_International_Pictures

Last edited:

Justin Ray

Second Unit
Real Name
Justin Ray
RKO must have sold the rights to A Bill of Divorcement-- much like Topaze. Originally an RKO film, WB doesn't own the rights for this film anymore either. Tis a Puzzlement! :)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
RKO must have sold the rights to A Bill of Divorcement-- much like Topaze. Originally an RKO film, WB doesn't own the rights for this film anymore either. Tis a Puzzlement! :)
That's what I'm thinking what happened as I wonder if they sold the rights to the 1940 version with Maureen O'Hara too?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The more I think about it, the more I think RKO sold the rights of A Bill of Divorcement and Topaze to Selznick years later.

J. Casey

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
Someone has mentioned that BILL is from the Paramount Film Archive! How did they end up with it? Lots of confusion regarding this title...maybe Kino can clear it up! Ultimately, I am also just happy to see it released on blu.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Not Kino related, of course, but it would be interesting for someone to create a book that discusses the rights' trajectory of so many of these classic films no longer affiliated with their home studio... or perhaps, I'm just a nerd... :D
I'd be very interested in such a book (even if I'm a nerd, too)! :eek:

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Coming Soon on DVD and Blu-ray!
Brand New HD Master from 4K scan of the 35mm Original Negative & Finegrain by Paramount Pictures Archive!

The Bigamist (1953) Starring Joan Fontaine, Ida Lupino, Edmond O'Brien, Edmund Gwenn, Kenneth Tobey and Jane Darwell - Screenplay by Collier Young (Act of Violence) - Shot by George E. Diskant (The Narrow Margin) - Directed by Ida Lupino (The Hitch-Hiker)

bigamist3.jpg

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
So Kino has a deal with Warner Bros ? Any details? Are these going to be mostly RKO ?

Is A Bill of Devorcement a Warners title? Or Does Warners control the RKO library?

Do you guys now have a deal with Warner as this title is an old RKO title that is own by Warner now?

No Warner deal, A Bill of Divorcement is from our Disney deal. It's a David O. Selznick production.

Warner does control most of the RKO library, some RKO titles are no longer with them and some are PD, like the ones we've acquired from Lobster films, Stingaree, Deluge, etc.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
No Warner deal, A Bill of Divorcement is from our Disney deal. It's a David O. Selznick production.

Warner does control most of the RKO library, some RKO titles are no longer with them and some are PD, like the ones we've acquired from Lobster films, Stingaree, Deluge, etc.
Thank you that's what I thought that it belongs to ABC/Disney.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
Who now has D.O.A. (1950) and NARROW MARGIN (1952)? Would sure love to see those getting released.

D.O.A. is usually considered public domain, I don't know who would have elements (if they even exist).

Narrow Margin is a Warner title.

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
From what Ive gathered he stopped The FIlm Detective from releasing DOA. He also has Detour, Impact and a lot of other goodies from camp to classic. - I keep hearing he might be putting some titles on Blu ray but there is no ETA or anything remotely close other than "its in the works"
We'll see..

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation554
Recent bookmarks