1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Kino Lorber Insider (Read Guidelines Post #3)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Kino Lorber Insider, Nov 20, 2017.

1. Kino Lorber Insider

Insider

Insider
    I doubt any of these are on our radar. We did ask for A Man Could Get Killed the last time around and it wasn't available due to legal issues.

2. Kino Lorber Insider

Insider

Insider
    Sorry, Bus Riley's Back In Town is not with KL.

3. Kino Lorber Insider

Insider

Insider
    Sorry, not with KL.

4. Kino Lorber Insider

Insider

Insider
    None of these are with KL. We had asked for a couple a while back.

5. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Kino just keep up the great release schedule.:thumbsup:

Suzanne.S, timk1041, Rodney and 5 others like this.
  6. Kino Lorber Insider

Insider

Insider
    Coming March 24th!

RETURN FROM THE ASHES (1965)
    • BRAND NEW 2K MASTER
    • Optional English Subtitles
    • Dual-Layered BD50 Disc
    • Reversible Art
    • Theatrical Trailer

(1965) B&W 107 Minutes 2.35:1 Not Rated
    From J. Lee Thompson, the acclaimed director of The Guns of Navarone, Cape Fear, Taras Bulba, Eye of the Devil and The White Buffalo, comes this suspenseful thriller based on a novel by Hubert Monteilhet (Scoundrel in White) and adapted for the screen by legendary scriptwriter Julius J. Epstein (Casablanca, Arsenic and Old Lace, Cross of Iron). In Paris at the onset of WWII, wealthy Jewish doctor Michele (Ingrid Thulin, The Silence) marries Stanislaus (Maximilian Schell, Judgment at Nuremberg), a penniless yet cunning Polish chess master. She is later hauled off to Dachau and is assumed dead after her failure to return at the war’s end. But Michele is not dead after all, and returns to Paris under a new identity to find Stanislaus romancing her beautiful young stepdaughter (Samantha Eggar, The Light at the Edge of the World). Murderous twists and turns abound in this stylish Hitchcockian chiller that co-stars the great Herbert Lom (The Pink Panther Strikes Again).

return.

Ed Lachmann, borisfw, Darby67 and 6 others like this.
  7. battlebeast

battlebeast Cinematographer

Warren
    That’s too bad. Sigh

8. Kino Lorber Insider

Insider

Insider
    Coming March 24th!

MY GUN IS QUICK (1957)
    • BRAND NEW 2K MASTER
    • Dual-Layered BD50 Disc
    • Theatrical Trailer

B&W 91 Minutes 1.85:1 Not Rated
    Based on the bestselling novel by legendary pulp writer Mickey Spillane (I, the Jury, The Girl Hunters, Kiss Me Deadly), My Gun Is Quick is a hardboiled film noir starring Robert Bray (Never Love a Stranger) as the tough-talking, no-nonsense private eye Mike Hammer. After Mike defends a prostitute from a violent thug, he cannot help noticing a unique ring on her finger. Later, when she winds up the victim of an apparent hit-and-run accident, the ring is nowhere to be found. Mike suspects it’s cold-blooded murder, so he embarks on a search to find the ring and unravel the mystery surrounding the killing. Along the way, he meets a seductive widow and confronts a deadly gang of jewel smugglers. Co-directed by Victor Saville (The Silver Chalice, Kim, Green Dolphin Street), under the pseudonym Phil Victor, and George White (The Postman Always Rings Twice, The Naked Spur, Bataan), the only directing credit for the veteran Hollywood editor.

borisfw, Darby67, Robin9 and 7 others like this.
  9. Robin9

Robin9 Producer

Robin
    I'm very pleased about this. I saw the film when it first came out and again a few years later when it appeared on TV. Since then . . . nothing. I look forward to seeing it again.

Ed Lachmann likes this.
  10. Kino Lorber Insider

Insider

Insider
    Coming March 31st!

INDISCRETION OF AN AMERICAN WIFE (1953)
    • 4K Restoration of INDISCRETION OF AN AMERICAN WIFE
    • 2K Restoration of TERMINAL STATION
    • AUTUMN IN ROME: 8-Minute Prologue with Patti Page Singing “Autumn in Rome” and “Indiscretion” (Directed by William Cameron Menzies - Photographed by James Wong Howe)
    • NEW Audio Commentary by Film Historian Pasquale Iannone
    • Reversible Blu-ray Art
    • Dual-Layered BD50 Disc
    • Theatrical Trailer

From Vittorio De Sica, the legendary director of The Bicycle Thief, Umberto D., Two Women, Marriage Italian Style, The Garden of the Finzi-Continis and Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow, comes this heartrending romantic drama starring screen icons Jennifer Jones (Portrait of Jennie, Gone to Earth, Duel in the Sun) and Montgomery Clift (Red River, A Place in the Sun, Judgment at Nuremberg). An American housewife (Jones) vacationing in Italy reluctantly decides to put an end to her brief affair with an Italian academic (Clift). She flees to Rome’s Stazione Termini, where she bids him farewell, but he begs her to stay. The film’s plot is simple; its production was not. The troubled collaboration between De Sica and producer David O. Selznick (Gone with the Wind) resulted in two cuts of the same film. De Sica’s version, Terminal Station, was screened at a length of one-and-a-half hours, but after disappointing previews, Selznick severely re-edited it and changed the title to Indiscretion of an American Wife without De Sica’s permission. This Special Edition includes both versions of this controversial release. Indiscretion of an American Wife was fully restored in 4K; Terminal Station was restored in 2K from the best surviving film elements. Oscar nominee for Costume Design (Black-and-White).

Indiscretion.

11. Kino Lorber Insider

Insider

Insider
    Coming March 31st!

THE SONG OF SONGS (1933)
    • Audio Commentary by Film Historian David Del Valle
    • Dual-Layered BD50 Disc
    • Theatrical Trailer

B&W 90 Minutes 1.37:1 Not Rated
    From Rouben Mamoulian, the acclaimed director of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, Love Me Tonight, Becky Sharp, The Mark of Zorro and Blood and Sand, comes this classic pre-Code tearjerker starring glamorous screen legend Marlene Dietrich (Desire, Angel, No Highway in the Sky). Lily (Dietrich), a pious German peasant girl, has always found comfort in the Bible’s “Song of Songs.” She clings to its joyous message of love when her father dies and she moves to Berlin to live with her strict aunt. There, she becomes the muse of aspiring sculptor Richard (Brian Aherne, A Night to Remember), and before long their working relationship turns romantic. But Richard is a man in love with his art, leaving Lily to fall into the arms of a hedonistic baron (Lionel Atwill, Doctor X) who offers her what she now desires more than love—revenge! Beautifully shot in glorious black-and-white by Oscar winner Victor Milner (Reap the Wild Wind, The General Died at Dawn).

12. Kino Lorber Insider

Insider

Insider
    Coming March 31st!

THE FLAME OF NEW ORLEANS (1941)
    • Audio Commentary by Author/Film Historian Lee Gambin and Actress/Film Historian Rutanya Alda
    • Dual-Layered BD50 Disc
    • Theatrical Trailer

B&W 79 Minutes 1.37:1 Not Rated
    From René Clair, the acclaimed director of Le Million, À Nous la Liberté, And Then There Were None and I Married a Witch, comes this romantic comedy starring screen icon Marlene Dietrich (The Blue Angel, Desire, Witness for the Prosecution). In the mid-18th century, the impoverished Countess Claire Ledoux (Dietrich) arrives in New Orleans with only one thing on her mind—to marry a man of means. And with her engagement to gentleman Charles Giraud (Roland Young, The Young at Heart, Topper), it appears to be smooth seas ahead… until dashing Captain Robert Latour (Bruce Cabot, King Kong, Dodge City) storms into town and takes the wind out of her sails and leaves her heart fluttering. Though it takes fainting spells and double identities to delay and disguise the truth, the Countess soon discovers that the greatest treasure of all—a heart of gold—is worth more than a pot of it. Beautifully shot by Rudolph Maté (Foreign Correspondent, Gilda) and wonderfully written by Norman Krasna (White Christmas, Let’s Make Love) with a stellar supporting cast that includes Mischa Auer (My Man Godfrey), Andy Devine (A Star is Born) and legendary Stooge Shemp Howard (Scrambled Brains). Oscar nominee for Art Direction-Interior Decoration (Black-and-White).

13. Message #4773 of 5745 Jan 10, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
    Kino Lorber Insider

Insider

Insider
    Coming March 31st!

BLUEBEARD'S EIGHTH WIFE (1938)
    • Audio Commentary by Film Historian Kat Ellinger
    • Dual-Layered BD50 Disc
    • Theatrical Trailer

B&W 85 Minutes 1.37:1 Not Rated
    From Ernst Lubitsch, the legendary director of The Merry Widow, Angel, Ninotchka, The Shop Around the Corner, To Be or Not to Be and Heaven Can Wait, comes this classic romantic comedy starring screen icons Claudette Colbert (The Palm Beach Story), Gary Cooper (Beau Geste) and David Niven (Separate Tables) with a screenplay by Billy Wilder (The Lost Weekend) and Charles Brackett (A Foreign Affair). Those laughing eyes, those glorious cheekbones! The silver-screen queen of the ’30s and ’40s is as captivating as ever in this hilarious comedy set in the French Riviera! Colbert portrays Mademoiselle Nicole De Loiselle, the lovely daughter of a destitute aristocrat, who catches the eye of dashing millionaire Michael Brandon (Cooper). After a brief courtship, she accepts his marriage proposal, but the bride is shocked to learn that her betrothed has been down the aisle before… seven times. Determined to teach him a lesson, she makes a mockery of their matrimony in a variety of side-splitting situations; but alas, two can play the crazy game of love. Edward Everett Horton (Top Hat) co-stars as Nicole’s father, the Marquis De Loiselle.

14. Kino Lorber Insider

Insider

Insider
    Coming to DVD and Blu-ray March 3rd from Kino Lorber!

Kinetta (2005)
    Written and directed by Yorgos Lanthimos

Kinetta is the perversely fascinating second feature by Yorgos Lanthimos, who would later go on to international renown with Dogtooth, Alps, and The Favourite. A detective, a photo shop clerk, and a chambermaid stage re-enactments of the murders by a local serial killer. What at first seems to be an investigative experiment turns out to be more of an exploration into the depths of their own psychosexual obsesions.

Bonus features:
    *Audio commentary by film critic Amy Simmons
    *Trailers

Kinetta_BR.

bujaki and ahollis like this.
  15. timk1041

timk1041 Second Unit

Timothy
    Thank you. Perhaps sometime later they might get released.

16. bujaki

bujaki Producer

Jose Ortiz-Marrero
    I'm looking forward to the short, which I've never seen, because of the talent involved behind the camera. Terminal Station is a rather good film. Selznick ruins it, much like he did with his re-edit of Gone to Earth. The credit, written and directed by De Sica, is only partially true of Selznick's version. Still, I'm glad to see a 2K master of the better film made available by Kino. I'll get it, but I'll never watch Indiscretion again.

Ed Lachmann likes this.
  17. Rick Thompson

Rick Thompson Screenwriter

Any chance for City in Fear (Danid Janssen, Robert Vaughn, Mickey Rourke, Perry King, William Daniels, Susan Sullivan)?

18. Ed Lachmann

Ed Lachmann Screenwriter

Edmund Lachmann
    March will be "Kino Month" for me. All take ALL of the above!

19. Kino Lorber Insider

Insider

Insider
    City in Fear is not with KL.

20. Message #4780 of 5745 Jan 13, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2020
    Dick

Dick Lead Actor
    Supporter

Rick
    I never cease to be amazed by the number of rather obscure titles (regardless of how good they are) that get Blu-ray release from Kino, almost all of them with audio commentaries, trailers and sometimes more. How can they actually make a profit from this? Half of the titles announced during the past months are ones I'd never even heard of (and I'm a huge film buff), even if from iconic directors. But they get released on Blu-ray.

This is simply great, and I hope it continues. Also, I hope Kino has the financial infrastructure to maintain the sheer number of releases it does. A smaller company couldn't hope to do what they do.

Thanks, Kino!