What's new

Kino-Lorber Insider Announcement Thread (Read Guidelines Post #3) (15 Viewers)

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Yikes! A big swing and a miss if that's the entire release schedule for the month of February, seeing as I'm much more interested in older American films from the late 30's through the mid-50's. 1935-1955 is my sweet spot for sure.

Gary "hope Kino has more coming from that era in 2020" O.

There's five films by Spike Lee, plus films by Joseph Losey, Henri-Georges Clouzot, Claude Chabrol, Mike Nichols, Rene Clement, and Serge Gainsbourg. While they're not all on my immediate watchlist, I'm definitely getting Mo' Better Blues and Quai des orfevres (Clouzot). Hardly a swing and miss.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
They put out so many films I do want, that I'm almost glad to see that there will be a dry spell for me while films that probably are favorites of a fair number of people around here appear instead.

It will help me catch up a bit since they put them out quicker than I can buy them. Despite a big sale purchase back in August, I have 19 released Kino Blu-Rays still on my want list. And then there are at least four announced films off the top of my head that I'm looking forward to in the months ahead, with 'Murder, He Says' at the top of that list.

As long as it's not a trend for 2020, that is. Almost everything I buy is from the same period as Gary and while there have been numerous newer films from Kino that I've bought or intend to buy (Like the upcoming release of 'Ladybug, Ladybug' and Charley Varrick in a week or two), they've been outnumbered by a wide margin by 1935-1955 films.

With recent announcements like The Great McGinty, I suspect we don't have much to worry about.:)

Last edited:

Daniel Melius

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Dan
I don't really care about announcements that just say early 2020. My view is maybe they will be released and maybe they wont. The 3 gary cooper films were talked about for a year but until they actually have a release date i will take the view as if i never heard about them. This is in view that all the titles for jan and feb came out of no where with actual release dates and were never talked about before the announcements. I think some titles are just announced without dates just to see what interest they draw.

Last edited:

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
No, what actually happens is they make new deals with studios, and do a few switches on their schedule for key titles to get released sooner and push their lesser titles back. Some film released are pushed back for better film elements, new scans, subtitles, waiting for directors of films to do commentaries or interviews.

Last edited:

RBailey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Hall
Of the recent announced titles, I'm in for PERFECT FRIDAY, a great heist movie with Ursula Andress & Stanley Baker and LIGHT AT THE END OF THE WORLD with Kirk Douglas & Yul Brynner. LIGHT is one of those movies that was a total flop at the box office but I loved it. Some brutal action with Brynner especialy chilling as a violent pirate attempting to take over Kirk's lighthouse.
Films like these saw a lot of use as second features in area drive-ins in the early '70s. I recall PERFECT FRIDAY was paired up with Clint Eastwood's TWO MULES FOR SISTER SARA here.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
Thank you Kino for the Universal releases
Any chance for
WHAT'S SO BAD ABOUT FEELING GOOD?
THOROUGHLY MODERN MILLIE
FREUD
40 POUNDS OF TROUBLE
COME SEPTEMBER
IF A MAN ANSWERS
BACK STREET
MARY QUEEN OF SCOTS
THE ART OF LOVE
THE GREAT IMPOSTER
CAPTAIN NEWMAN MD
THE CHALK GARDEN

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
I was hoping KINO would release SKIPPY. It’s never been released at all... but KINO sad they never inquired about it. Too bad, it’s a best pic nom and a best Director winner. Hopefully there are no rights issue and someone will release it. :/

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
Any chance for
THOROUGHLY MODERN MILLIE
FREUD
40 POUNDS OF TROUBLE
COME SEPTEMBER
IF A MAN ANSWERS
BACK STREET
MARY QUEEN OF SCOTS
THE ART OF LOVE
THE GREAT IMPOSTER
CAPTAIN NEWMAN MD
THE CHALK GARDEN
The Art Of Love was announced by Kino in June.

wesaussie

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Wes Anderson
Any chance for
THOROUGHLY MODERN MILLIE
FREUD
40 POUNDS OF TROUBLE
COME SEPTEMBER
IF A MAN ANSWERS
BACK STREET
MARY QUEEN OF SCOTS
THE ART OF LOVE
THE GREAT IMPOSTER
CAPTAIN NEWMAN MD
THE CHALK GARDEN
I would add
BLACK SHIELD OF FALWORTH
CAPTAIN LIGHTFOOT
SIGN OF THE PAGAN
THE PURPLE MASK
All in their proper aspect ratio

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Any chance for
THOROUGHLY MODERN MILLIE
FREUD
40 POUNDS OF TROUBLE
COME SEPTEMBER
IF A MAN ANSWERS
BACK STREET
MARY QUEEN OF SCOTS
THE ART OF LOVE
THE GREAT IMPOSTER
CAPTAIN NEWMAN MD
THE CHALK GARDEN

You kinda read my mind. I've been championing Blu releases for MARY, QUEEN OF SCOTS and CAPTAIN NEWMAN M.D. for years, and wouldn't at all mind picking up the rest you list.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I didn’t realise that ACCIDENT was in Kino’s line-up. One of my all-time favorites. It’s a brilliant film with a great script by Harold Pinter and with Dirk Bogarde at his best (he once said it was his most difficult part because he was essentially playing himself). In my opinion it’s Joseph Losey’s best film.

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
With an expanding family of distributed labels, Kino Lorber handles releases in ancillary media for Zeitgeist Films, Carlotta USA, Adopt Films, Raro Video, and others, placing physical titles through all wholesale, retail, and direct to consumer channels as well as direct distribution to all major and many new Digital TVOD and SVOD platforms, including Kino Now, the company's newly-launched VOD platform showcasing over 600 new releases (currently at 666), classics, and award winning international films.

Unknown.png

https://kinonow.com/

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Saturday's Facebook Announcement:

Coming 2020!

Secret Ceremony (1968) Starring Elizabeth Taylor, Mia Farrow, Robert Mitchum, Peggy Ashcroft and Pamela Brown – Shot by Gerry Fisher (The Offence, Juggernaut) – Screenplay by George Tabori (I Confess, The Journey) – Directed by Joseph Losey (Accident, The Servant).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks