What's new

Kino-Lorber Insider Announcement Thread (Read Guidelines Post #3) (11 Viewers)

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
I believe Hail, The Conquering Hero is owned by Universal (it was included in their Sturges dvd set).

According to the HTF podcast/chat with Criterion, the elements for The Lady Eve are in poor unreleasable shape. The status of Unfaithfully Yours wasn’t mentioned.

I’ve never heard of a Sturges title called The Good Fairy (or its imminent release).

I’m hoping with the rumors that Paramount is changing their stance on licensing/releasing, that we might see Miracle Of Morgan’s Creek

Hail, the Conquering Hero is with Universal and was not available to us, most likely with another label.

We're releasing The Good Fairy, written by Sturges, directed by Wyler next year. We had released it on DVD in the early 2000s.

Miracle of Morgan's Creek has been restored by Paramount, it'll either be released by them, or they've licensed to maybe Criterion.

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
KL Insider,

Will the Blu Ray for Long Days Journey Into Night be 2D compatible (i.e. able to be played in either a regular Blu Ray machine as well as a 3D player)?

I understand that some 3D Blu Rays are released in that manner.

Yes, it'll play both on regulard players and 3-D ones. Of course, the 3-D sequence would be 2-D.

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
With today’s technology, couldn’t they fix it? And is there only one element left?

Most likely it's a question of money, not technology.

Poor film elements, are just that. Once they're in bad shape, not much can be done to fix the issues, it doesn't matter if it's a 2K, 4K or 8K scan. Yes, the potential cost may be one of the reasons, but it most likely due to damaged and missing film elements. They can fix some of the issues with DVNR, but no one wants that anymore. The reason why some DVD releases may look better to an unprofessional eye than the BD.

A frame by frame restoration is also a possibility, but that could cost millions.

We released Fox's 4K restoration of THE OX-BOW INCIDENT and some were disappointed. The scan was from the dupe negative, the best surviving film elements, the original camera negative was either destroyed or lost.

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
We released Fox's 4K restoration of THE OX-BOW INCIDENT and some were disappointed. The scan was from the dupe negative, the best surviving film elements, the original camera negative was either destroyed or lost.

You had a least one very satisfied customer with that release!

Bernard McNair

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bernard McNair
I strongly agree with comments made regarding other forums. I read many forums but only choose to post on HTF as I don’t wish to subject myself to some of the poor behaviour that I read elsewhere. I love the hobby of movie watching and collecting but cannot believe how the level of personal and offensive comments that get posted elsewhere and can shift our hobby into the realm of personal toxicity.
I am personally very pleased with the offerings of KL and others and grateful that they engage people like K L Insider to keep us informed. Also, well done to the moderators who assist us to enjoy our hobby in peace.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Saturday's Facebook Announcement:

Coming 2020!
Brand New 4K Master!

Times Square (1980) Starring Tim Curry, Trini Alvarado, Robin Johnson & David Margulies – Shot by James A. Contner (Nighthawks, Cruising) – Music by Blue Weaver – The Amazing Soundtrack Features Hit Songs by The Cure, Robin Gibb, Joe Jackson, The Pretenders, Ramones, Roxy Music, Patti Smith Group, Talking Heads, XTC & others – Screenplay by Jacob Brackman (The King of Marvin Gardens) – Produced by Robert Stigwood (Saturday Night Fever, Tommy) – Directed by Allan Moyle (Pump Up the Volume, Empire Records).

John Morgan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John
Says who? :D

2-photos13.jpg
Well times the above by 158,400 (frames), and you get an idea of what an average length film would take to restore. I've heard that many of the Paramount films that were considered "safe" because they are now preserved on safety film have succumbed to vinegar syndrome. Have you seen the last DVD release of THE GHOST BREAKERS which included a new master? It is no where as good as the previous DVD releases of that title.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Not a comment on the KL release but I do hope that OCN shows up someday. Such a brilliant film.
What makes you think the OCN is going to show up someday as I think it's long gone? I watched the Kino disc earlier today and looked really good and is an improvement over the German BD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks