What's new

Kino-Lorber Insider Announcement Thread (Read Guidelines Post #3) (6 Viewers)

Jeff Flugel

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Flugel
Well, what can I say? I don't like June Allyson, but I believe you're a great fan of hers. I'm not a great fan of Teresa Wright but I thought she was pretty good with Robert Mitchum in Pursued and in the films she made with William Wyler.

Boy, am I in agreement. Can't STAND June Allyson. IMO, she basically ruins the films she made with James Stewart and Humphrey Bogart (two of my favorite actors). Allyson seems like a nice enough person, and she's a decent actress, but for me, she's a detriment to any film she appears in.

I like Theresa Wright just fine (esp. in THE BEST YEARS OF OUR LIVES), but can see how she might not be everyone's cup of tea. We all have a few actors or actresses that just don't float our respective boats, and that's fine.

Back on topic...looking forward to TRAPEZE and THE MAZE!

Last edited:

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
For Thomas T.;) I love this psychological western!

16KEHR-jumbo.jpg

This is what I had to say about it when I rewatched it last year:
Set in New Mexico at the turn of the century, a man (Robert Mitchum) who was taken in as a child by a widow (Judith Anderson) and raised as her own son has a blocked memory of a traumatic incident. The widow knows what triggered the loss of memory but she thinks it best for all concerned if it was left alone. But the past has long fingers. Directed by the veteran Raoul Walsh, this fusion of western and film noir is a very interesting experiment but I'm not all that sure that it's a successful coupling. All I kept thinking while watching the movie was that if these people just communicated and stopped dancing around the truth, they could just move on with their lives. None of the characters are particularly likable and in poor Teresa Wright's case, she can't summon up the passion necessary for her vengeance seeking romantic. On the plus side, James Wong Howe's striking B&W images of the New Mexico landscape coupled with his deft shading and lighting provide an impressive visual terrain. Max Steiner gets the blame for the intrusive score. With Dean Jagger, Alan Hale, John Rodney and Harry Carey Jr.

Nick*Z

Screenwriter
Real Name
NICK
Well, I've always loved June Allyson: Good News, Executive Suite, The Glenn Miller Story, Little Women, Best Foot Forward, Words & Music, Till The Clouds Roll By; fresh-faced wholesomeness never really goes out of style. None on Blu. For shame.

Asked this one already but didn't really get an answer. Any chance for a Blu of STAR! starring Julie Andrews?
Thanks in advance.

LeoA

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Leo
June Allyson and Teresa Wright are two of my favorites. Any movie with either of them in it is a day 1 buy on Blu-Ray as far as I'm concerned. Can't quite wrap he head around how someone couldn't like one of them. My Dad is one of this type for instance, since he can't stand June Allyson. I bet we have a few Betsy Drake haters in here too...

I couldn't get into Under Capricorn on TCM a few years ago. The transfer was atrocious and perhaps I just wasn't in the mood, so I turned it off 10-15 minutes in. Maybe it just starts off slow, so I'm looking forward to giving it another try under better conditions with this restored release. I certainly love Ingrid Bergman and Joseph Cotton, this era of movies, and most of Hitchcock's American movies. So I think it's a chance worth taking to give it a second try.

Does Gaslight have any chance at Kino? Someone there seems to share my fondness for Joseph Cotton. Great underrated actor from Hollywood's Golden Age (Never won an Oscar for instance, as I recall).

Last edited:

R3dHarvester

Auditioning
Real Name
Brian
Kino Lorber Insider,

Thanks for all the replies and all the information. Kino is doing great things for Blu-ray right now. I'm wondering on the possibility of acquiring the 2002 Neil Jordan/Nick Nolte masterpiece the Good Thief (Fox Searchlight) for the Studio Classics line. I'm sure it would be a big seller, as it's a truly amazing film ripe for rediscovery. Thanks for the consideration.
-Brian

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
Kino Lorber Insider, would you happen to know who owns the rights to Bert I. Gordon's The Coming (aka Burned at the Stake)? I've been trying to find out for a long time, and I'm not sure if it's Universal, MGM or someone else entirely.

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Coming April 3rd on DVD and Blu-ray!
Five 90s Comedies!

Antonio Banderas Double Feature
Two Much (1996) | Miami Rhapsody (1995)
• Audio Commentary by Director David Frankel (Miami Rhapsody)
• Original Theatrical Trailers for both Films
Blu-ray $24.95 | DVD $14.95

My Father the Hero (1994)
• Audio Commentary by Director Steve Miner
• Original Theatrical Trailer
Blu-ray $19.95 | DVD $11.95

Celtic Pride (1996)
• Audio Commentary by Director Tom DeCerchio
• Original Theatrical Trailer

The 6th Man (1997)
• Original Theatrical Trailers for The 6th Man and Celtic Pride

4_comedies.jpg

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Leo, Gaslight (1944) is an MGM film owned by Warner now, so if it comes out on Blu it will most likely be through the Archive...or Criterion since Warner has a deal with them.

Regarding GASLIGHT, I heartily recommend the 1940 British version with Anton Walbrook. Doesn't have the MGM sheen, but that works in its favor -- the atmosphere is thick and creepy. Walbrook makes a much more threatening villain than Boyer could ever have hoped to, and Diana Wynyard is much more believable in her victim role than Bergman, imo. You can pick this disc up almost for free (about $14.00 shipped) from Amazon UK (it's Region B). The MGM version four years later was simply too slick and packed with recognizable stars to make me squirm the way this one does.
81ZldO9eqmL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Coming April 17th on DVD and Blu-ray!

Trigger, Jr. (1950)
• Brand New HD Master from a 4K Scan of the Original 35mm Trucolor Nitrate Negatives by Paramount Pictures Archives
• Audio Commentary by Film Historian Toby Roan and Jay Dee Witney
• Trailers
Blu-ray $24.95 | DVD $19.95

Singing Guns (1950)
• Brand New HD Master from a 4K Scan of the Original 35mm Trucolor Nitrate Negatives by Paramount Pictures Archives
• Audio Commentary by Film Historian Toby Roan
• Trailers
Blu-ray $24.95 | DVD $19.95

singing_cowboys.jpg

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Kino Lorber Insider,

Thanks for all the replies and all the information. Kino is doing great things for Blu-ray right now. I'm wondering on the possibility of acquiring the 2002 Neil Jordan/Nick Nolte masterpiece the Good Thief (Fox Searchlight) for the Studio Classics line. I'm sure it would be a big seller, as it's a truly amazing film ripe for rediscovery. Thanks for the consideration.
-Brian

We don't have a current deal with Fox, but we'll send your suggestion to our head of acquisitions.

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Kino Lorber Insider, would you happen to know who owns the rights to Bert I. Gordon's The Coming (aka Burned at the Stake)? I've been trying to find out for a long time, and I'm not sure if it's Universal, MGM or someone else entirely.

Most likely Universal, but its just a guess.

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
3/6 Topaze (1933) | A Fistful of Dynamite 3/13 A Lion in Winter (4K Restoration) | Running Wild (2K) | It's the Old Army Game (2K) 3/20 No Orchids for Miss Blandish | Highway Dragnet (4K) | Stingaree (2K) | Hallelujah the Hills 3/27 Joan of Arc (70th Anniversary) (2K) | The Outer Limits (Seasons 1) | The Soldier 4/3 Celtic Pride | The 6th Man | My Father the Hero | Two Much/Miami Rhapsody (Banderas Double Bill) 4/10 The Psychopath (4K) | Deceived | Bad Company (1995) | Consenting Adults | Manhandled | Stage Struck | Luther 4/17 Trigger, Jr. (4K) | Singing Guns (4K) | Camp Nowhere | Straight Talk 4/24 The Maze (4K) 3-D | Trapeze | A Woman's Devotion | Ruby Gentry | The Holy Mountain (1926) | Bombshell: The Hedy Lamarr Story (2017 Zeitgeist) | The DogFather (17 Cartoons) | MisterJaw (34 Cartoons) 5/1 The Half-Breed/The Good Bad Man (Fairbanks/Dwann Double Bill) | King Hu's Legend of the Mountain (4K) 5/8 The Maids (2K) 5/15 The Sacrifice (4K Special Edition) 6/5 Mario Bava's Four Times That Night (2K) 6/12 Jacques Brel is Alive and Well and Living in Paris (2K) 6/19 Bill Gunn's Personal Problems (DVD only)

Coming Soon:
The Big Country | Big Trouble | The Day After | The Farmer's Daughter (4K) | A Fistful of Dollars (New 4K Restoration) | For a Few Dollars More (New 4K Restoration) | The Grissom Gang (4K) | Irma La Douce (4K) | Jack the Giant Killer | The Killing of Sister George (4K) | Kundun | A Lady Takes a Chance (4K) | The Last Command (4K) | The Legend of Hillbilly John | A Man Alone (4K) | The Martian Chronicles | Miracles | The Night Stalker (4K) | The Night Strangler (4K) | Old Ironsides (2K) | The Outer Limits (Seasons 2) | Pink Panther Cartoons Volumes 2-6 | The Reincarnation of Peter Proud (4K) | Sangaree (4K/2K) 3-D | Special Delivery (4K) | Spetters (2K) | The Spiral Staircase (4K) | A Strange Adventure (4K) | Trilogy of Terror (4K) | Under Capricorn (4K) | What Ever Happened to Aunt Alice (4K) | The Woman in the Window

KLSC.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Larsenv
    Recent bookmarks