What's new

Kino-Lorber Insider Announcement Thread (Read Guidelines Post #3) (11 Viewers)

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I've never seen The Nude Bomb but I've always wondered what Rhonda Fleming was doing in a film with that title.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I've never seen The Nude Bomb but I've always wondered what Rhonda Fleming was doing in a film with that title.

It's a small role, a cameo really. I stand to be corrected but I believe she has only one scene. Lovely Rhonda is still with us at age 96!

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I was a big fan of Get Smart reruns as a kid and saw The Nude Bomb when it was released. I would have been 11, and even then thought it was "meh." I can't imagine I'd think it any better now.

Dave B Ferris

Screenwriter
On Get Smart, the original series, slightly off-topic: With the changes in the market for physical media, as compared to the peak years for DVD sales, we've all had the experience of seeing prices plummet for movies and shows that we paid much more for upon their initial release. A Walmart close to me had all five seasons of Get Smart for $39.99. (Also: Hogan's Heroes <same price>.) When the "Phone Booth" box set was first released, I think the MSRP was over $200.00.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
On Get Smart, the original series, slightly off-topic: With the changes in the market for physical media, as compared to the peak years for DVD sales, we've all had the experience of seeing prices plummet for movies and shows that we paid much more for upon their initial release. A Walmart close to me had all five seasons of Get Smart for $39.99. (Also: Hogan's Heroes <same price>.) When the "Phone Booth" box set was first released, I think the MSRP was over $200.00.
Thank you Time Life!

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
I just saw it has been restored in 4K....any chance Millie will be coming soon?
New York Film Forum in November .
New 4K restoration, full-length road show version

Starring Julie Andrews and Mary Tyler Moore

(1967, George Roy Hill) Based on the popular Broadway musical, 1920s flapper Julie Andrews meets small-town newcomer Mary Tyler Moore and becomes determined to find the perfect husband in boss John Gavin. Also starring Carol Channing, James Fox, and Beatrice Lillie. Music by Oscar-winner Elmer Bernstein. DCP. Approx. 153 min.
It's NOT based on the popular Broadway musical. You have it backwards. The popular Broadway musical is based the movie.

cadavra

Supporting Actor
Real Name
mike schlesinger
I like NUDE BOMB, especially as it gives Norman Lloyd a rare comedy role. However, what you see is not what was intended. It was originally planned as an R-rated film, with nudity, as well as some swipes at Reagan (who was running for President and was--correctly--presumed would be the winner). But Universal got cold feet and cut all of that out. I asked Mike Feinberg when he was at Universal's Asset Management if the trims had been saved and could be put back. He searched the vaults and found it had all been tossed. Grrrr...

Mike S.

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Coming November 12th!

Charley Varrick (1973) with optional English subtitles
• Brand New 4K Master
• Refracted Personae: Iconography and Abstraction in Don Siegel's American Purgatory - An examination of Don Siegel’s signature directorial style and key thematic elements in his later masterpiece, CHARLEY VARRICK by Film Historian Howard S. Berger
• Last of the Independents: The Making of Charley Varrick – 72-Minute doc featuring interviews with Kristoffer Tabori (Siegel’s son), actors Andy Robinson and Jacqueline Scott, stunt driver and actor Craig R. Baxley, composer Lalo Schifrin, and Howard A. Rodman (son of screenwriter, Howard Rodman)
• Audio Commentary by Film Historian Toby Roan
• Limited Edition Booklet Essay by Film Critic Nick Pinkerton
• "Trailers From Hell" with Josh Olson and Howard Redman
• Theatrical Trailer

Color 111 Minutes 1.85:1 Rated PG
From Don Siegel, the legendary director of Dirty Harry, Madigan, The Black Windmill and Two Mules for Sister Sara comes this tough-as-nails action classic about a small-time crook who outfoxes the mob and the law. Screen great Walter Matthau (The Taking of Pelham One Two Three, The Laughing Policeman) stars as the titular career criminal, with the powerful Joe Don Baker (Walking Tall, Framed) as the tough Mafia hitman on his tail. Charley robs small banks with small payrolls. That keeps him out of trouble until he stumbles onto the mob’s secret stash. The chase is on as the Big Boys go after the “Last of the Independents.” It’s a heart-pounding ride that builds to a fiery airborne climax as Charley makes his last desperate run for the Mexican border and safety. The stellar cast includes Felicia Farr (3:10 to Yuma), Andy Robinson (Dirty Harry), John Vernon (Point Blank), Sheree North (Breakout), Norman Fell (Bullitt), Benson Fong (Our Man Flint), Woodrow Parfrey (Papillon) and William Schallert (In the Heat of the Night). Two of the film’s best features are the terrific photography by Michael C. Butler (The Missouri Breaks) and original music score by Lalo Schifrin (Prime Cut).

738329233853.JPG

signa joy

Auditioning
Real Name
kent
I'd like to resist name calling and questioning of taste. I'm sure there are strong reasons for Kino Lorber classics decisions.

I want to express support for the unique experience of FLOWER DRUM SONG.
The film version of FLOWER DRUM SONG was a significant milestone in American cinema and employed a record number of Asian actors in major roles. While far from perfect, the film was a flashpoint of inspiration for a great many Asian American artists of many generations who saw themselves in some way represented in a major studio motion picture. There are glaring challenges within the work and not every performer is of Asian descent. Nevertheless, this was a major step in Hollywood. The historic significance of the work in American film, in the history of the American musical and in the canon of R and H all seem like strong reasons for an HD release.
NANCY KWAN, JAMES SHIGETA, JACK SOO, BENSON FONG, JUANITA HALL and MYOSHI UMEKI all had significant careers. For an eloquent, powerful assessment of the ascending, albeit complex values of FLOWER DRUM SONG on film and (the film's impact), see the preface to the published "revisal" script by Pulitzer Prize and Tony Award winning playwright DAVID HENRY HWANG. The film may be more of a touchstone, for a huge global population, and for multiple generations, than many people, particularly the film's detractors, may realize.

FLOWER DRUM SONG was the 12th highest grossing film of 1961 and the winner of Five Academy Award nominations. 12th. Among the films it "out-grossed" are BLUE HAWAII BABES IN TOYLAND, JUDGEMENT AT NUREMBERG, FANNY, BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY'S, THE MISFITS, THE HUSTLER and POCKETFUL OF MIRACLES. Many of these films have been released on blu ray. Yet FLOWER DRUM SONG has not.

I think what felt surprising to some of us, who are ardent admirers of Kino Lorber classics and who have purchased a wide range of diverse titles from KL classics, was the tone of the response when asked about this title. Like the film or not, the tone of response felt dismissive. I'm sure that was not intentional. I'm hopeful that Universal or someone sees fit to release the film for those who appreciate it.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'd like to resist name calling and questioning of taste. I'm sure there are strong reasons for Kino Lorber classics decisions.

I want to express support for the unique experience of FLOWER DRUM SONG.
The film version of FLOWER DRUM SONG was a significant milestone in American cinema and employed a record number of Asian actors in major roles. While far from perfect, the film was a flashpoint of inspiration for a great many Asian American artists of many generations who saw themselves in some way represented in a major studio motion picture. There are glaring challenges within the work and not every performer is of Asian descent. Nevertheless, this was a major step in Hollywood. The historic significance of the work in American film, in the history of the American musical and in the canon of R and H all seem like strong reasons for an HD release.
NANCY KWAN, JAMES SHIGETA, JACK SOO, BENSON FONG, JUANITA HALL and MYOSHI UMEKI all had significant careers. For an eloquent, powerful assessment of the ascending, albeit complex values of FLOWER DRUM SONG on film and (the film's impact), see the preface to the published "revisal" script by Pulitzer Prize and Tony Award winning playwright DAVID HENRY HWANG. The film may be more of a touchstone, for a huge global population, and for multiple generations, than many people, particularly the film's detractors, may realize.

FLOWER DRUM SONG was the 12th highest grossing film of 1961 and the winner of Five Academy Award nominations. 12th. Among the films it "out-grossed" are BLUE HAWAII BABES IN TOYLAND, JUDGEMENT AT NUREMBERG, FANNY, BREAKFAST AT TIFFANY'S, THE MISFITS, THE HUSTLER and POCKETFUL OF MIRACLES. Many of these films have been released on blu ray. Yet FLOWER DRUM SONG has not.

I think what felt surprising to some of us, who are ardent admirers of Kino Lorber classics and who have purchased a wide range of diverse titles from KL classics, was the tone of the response when asked about this title. Like the film or not, the tone of response felt dismissive. I'm sure that was not intentional. I'm hopeful that Universal or someone sees fit to release the film for those who appreciate it.
The Kino Insider stated the following which I didn't find dismissive, but simply stated they were not interested in releasing it on Blu-ray. I'm sorry if that upset fans of "Flower Drum Song". Each and every one of us had titles Kino wasn't interested in releasing. Anyhow, let's get this thread back on topic as this thread is for discussing actual upcoming Kino Blu-ray releases.

We asked for Modern Millie, but it wasn't available. We were not interested in Flower Drum Song.

We have no plans of releasing any of these Fox titles on BD.

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Coming November 19th!

Un Flic (1972) aka Dirty Money
• Audio Commentary by Film Historian Samm Deighan
• 2004 Interviews with Jean-Francois-Delon (Alain's brother) and Florence Gabin (Jean's daughter)
• In the Mood for Melville - 60 Minute Documentary
• Theatrical Trailer

Color 98 Minutes 1.66:1 Rated PG
From Jean-Pierre Melville, the legendary director of Bob Le Flambeur, Le Doulos, Le Deuxième Souffle and Le Cercle Rouge comes this action-packed neo-noir. A Paris police chief (Alain Delon, The Sicilian Clan) discovers that his nightclub owner friend (Richard Crenna, First Blood) also leads a group of bank robbers. When he’s tipped off that the same robbers are planning a drug heist, the police chief races to defeat his two-faced friend. Meanwhile, the police chief has engaged in some double-crossing himself—by sharing the same woman (Catherine Deneuve, Mississippi Mermaid) with the man he calls his friend. Melville’s last film plays beautifully with all his trademark silences, grim faces and gloomy colors, featuring stunning photography by the great Walter Wottitz (Army of Shadows, The Train). The top-notch cast includes Michael Conrad (The Longest Yard), Riccardo Cucciolla (Sacco & Vanzetti) and Jean Desailly (The Soft Skin).

738329240882.jpg

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
So you're calling us dumb because we didn't ask for Flower Drum Song?

I don't believe I see the word "dumb" in my post. I believe that whatever company is lucky enough to snag Flower Drum Song will be a smart company, as I think it will sell extremely well.

Congrats n Charley Varrick - I will most certainly pick that up.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks