What's new

Kino-Lorber Insider Announcement Thread (Read Guidelines Post #3) (14 Viewers)

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Aw come on, now! It's done by the great Gaylord Carter. I had the pleasure of seeing him live a few times at the Art Deco Paramount Theatre in Oakland.

No disrespect intended toward Mr. Carter but I LOATHE organ music! It's so hokey! And the instrument doesn't have the musical range that, say, a piano or violin underscore would have. As an early film lover, I had a hard time getting into silent movies because of those godawful organ "scores" (if you can call them that). When I saw my first silent film accompanied by a full orchestral underscore, it was a revelation! Can you imagine Napoleon or Passion Of Joan Of Arc with an organ score? The mind reels :eek:

Camps

Screenwriter
Real Name
Tom
Just got my Kino blu of Cease Fire. Another great job by the good folks at 3D Film Archive!

The 3D depth and separation are outstanding -- literally! The opening credits seemed to protrude halfway into my living room.

If you're 3D-equipped, or a fan of classic war movies, this is a must-have!

Can't wait for The Maze...... and more classic 3D!

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
So, in 1943 Jean Arthur was cast above John Wayne.

John Wayne didn't become the box office super star and icon that we know until the late 1940s in films like Red River, Fort Apache, She Wore A Yellow Ribbon and Sands Of Iwo Jima. Just the year before Lady Takes A Chance, Wayne was third billed behind Ray Milland and Paulette Goddard in Reap The Wild Wind. Paulette Goddard?!?! When the film was reissued in the 1950s, John Wayne and Susan Hayward got billed over Milland and Goddard in the film's posters as both had become mega stars by then and Milland and Goddard no longer had the star power they had in 1942.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
Gaylord Carter, whose score Wurlitzer pipe organ score is being used for Covered Wagon, also did the score for Wings. His score was the only one heard for years before Paramount restored the film in 2012 and used the Original score from 1927. Thankfully, they included the Carter score as an alternative, although the original is much preferred.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
No disrespect intended toward Mr. Carter but I LOATHE organ music! It's so hokey! And the instrument doesn't have the musical range that, say, a piano or violin underscore would have. As an early film lover, I had a hard time getting into silent movies because of those godawful organ "scores" (if you can call them that). When I saw my first silent film accompanied by a full orchestral underscore, it was a revelation! Can you imagine Napoleon or Passion Of Joan Of Arc with an organ score? The mind reels :eek:

I wouldn't sell Gaylord Carter's work short. He was actually an organist during the silent era and recorded some magnificent work. In fact, he was Harold Lloyd's official composer for later re-issues (his score is on the Criterion edition of Safety Last!) Also, the US Zoetrope cut of Napoleon has some organ sections (by Dennis James) that work beautifully.

Kino using one of his scores should be considered as significant as a release including a score by Carl Davis, Robert Israel, or Timothy Brock.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I wouldn't sell Gaylord Carter's work short. He was actually an organist during the silent era and recorded some magnificent work. In fact, he was Harold Lloyd's official composer for later re-issues (his score is on the Criterion edition of Safety Last!) Also, the US Zoetrope cut of Napoleon has some organ sections (by Dennis James) that work beautifully.

Kino using one of his scores should be considered as significant as a release including a score by Carl Davis, Robert Israel, or Timothy Brock.

I'm very happy for Mr. Carter's fans. But the organ as a solo instrument for an entire score is repugnant aesthetically to my ears. It has nothing to do with Carter. I would have been just as disappointed if the organ score had been composed by Prokofiev, Mozart or Bernard Herrmann.

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
The Soldier will now be released February 27, 2018

003PHOTO.jpg

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I'm very happy for Mr. Carter's fans. But the organ as a solo instrument for an entire score is repugnant aesthetically to my ears. It has nothing to do with Carter. I would have been just as disappointed if the organ score had been composed by Prokofiev, Mozart or Bernard Herrmann.
My introduction to silent film was ... pizza parlors often in super (or regular) 8 silent films probably run at the wrong speed etc.

A local fan of pipe organs was able to obtain the keyboard console and most of the pipes from the (Grauman's) Egyptian Theater (from L.A.)

He wanted a place to display & play the organ so he built a pizza parlor (Organ Stop) around the organ ... The building was literally built to house and showcase the organ

I was a frequent patron at Organ Stop and I can say that while not a symphonic experience, a well-recorded (and played) pipe organ is nothing like an electric "chord" organ. But it can easily rival a small pit orchestra in grandeur and tone!

When an influential developer told Organ Stop they had to leave ... they moved the whole organ etc to Mes, Arizona
5942c87810109.image.jpg

I'm sure someone will probably dispute it, but if you saw a silent film on it's initial release in a theater ... the "soundtrack" would have more than likely been played by an organ ...rather than by an orchestra ...unless you were in a big city ...

Last edited:

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Excited to see a re-release of The Big Country, will this version fix the aspect ratio issues that plagued the last release?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Reactions: PMF

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Anthony
Excited to see a re-release of The Big Country, will this version fix the aspect ratio issues that plagued the last release?

Thanks for any help you can give.
Before his departure, Mr Lime did say the aspect ratio error was being corrected ... hence its delayed release. It was originally meant to have been issued this year, without this correction. This forum brought the aspect ratio error to their attention.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
Before his departure, Mr Lime did say the aspect ratio error was being corrected ... hence its delayed release. It was originally meant to have been issued this year, without this correction. This forum brought the aspect ratio error to their attention.

I thought the "mumps" problem (if that is what everyone means) was normal for films of that era.
Why should this be corrected if others haven't?

Jimbo64

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim Potter
I thought the "mumps" problem (if that is what everyone means) was normal for films of that era.
Why should this be corrected if others haven't?

I have the old MGM blu-ray, it was either vertically squeezed or horizontally stretched during the entire transfer, not the “mumps” look in just the center. I am looking forward to using it as a coaster once the KL release arrives.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks