What's new

Kino-Lorber Insider Announcement Thread (Read Guidelines Post #3) (15 Viewers)

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
Coming to DVD and Blu-ray October 22nd from Kino Classics!

The Eagle (1925)
Directed by Clarence Brown
Starring Rudolph Valentino

In a departure from his onscreen persona of Latin lover, silent-era sex symbol Rudolph Valentino delivered one of the most nuanced and powerful performances of his career in this epic romance set in 18th-century Russia, directed by Clarence Brown (Flesh and the Devil, Anna Karenina). Valentino stars as Vladimir Dubrovsky, a lieutenant in the Imperial Guard who becomes a fugitive after he rejects the amorous attentions of the Czarina Catherine II (Louise Dresser).

SPECIAL FEATURES
• 2K Restoration from 35mm material
• New musical score composed and performed by Alloy Orchestra
• Audio commentary by film historian Gaylyn Studlar

View attachment 61510

I’ve been rather curious about this Valentino film, although I could have sworn Cohen had picked up the rights to this one. I also suppose you were unable to include the Carl Davis score for this one.

Eastmancolor

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim Harwood
The Eagle (1925)
Directed by Clarence Brown
Starring Rudolph Valentino

SPECIAL FEATURES
• New musical score composed and performed by Alloy Orchestra

View attachment 61510

I hope it will be a more straight forward orchestral score than usual from the Alloy folks as this film would suffer with an experimental, bombastic one.

Would love the William Perry or Carl Davis scores as an option as they are especially good.

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Check Facebook and Twitter at 11:00AM this Saturday and Sunday for 2 New Announcements!

https://www.facebook.com/KinoLorberStudioClassics/
https://twitter.com/KLStudioClassic

klsc.jpg

Arthur Powell

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Arthur
I hope it will be a more straight forward orchestral score than usual from the Alloy folks as this film would suffer with an experimental, bombastic one.

Would love the William Perry or Carl Davis scores as an option as they are especially good.

I agree. Given Alloy's decidedly non-traditional scoring methods, I wish that disc producers would provide alternate options - even just a simple piano score - in addition to the Alloy scores. Normally I pre-order Kino's silents to fully support their efforts. This time I'll wait for one of Kino's sales.

I don't recall William Perry's score, but I do remember the organ score Lee Erwin recorded for the Killiam edition. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't great either. The Carl Davis score is the best that I've heard for the film thus far. I think that Cohen has the rights to that version.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Today's FB announcement:

Coming 2020!
Brand New 4K Restoration!

Picture Mommy Dead (1966)
Starring Don Ameche, Martha Hyer, Susan Gordon, Zsa Zsa Gabor, Maxwell Reed, Wendell Corey, Signe Hasso and Anna Lee – Shot by Ellsworth Fredericks (Invasion of the Body Snatchers) – Music by Robert Drasnin (The Kremlin Letter) – Screenplay by Robert Sherman (Too Late the Hero) – Produced and Directed by Bert I. Gordon (The Amazing Colossal Man, The Magic Sword, Empire of the Ants).

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
It's been years since I last watched this movie.

Saturday's Facebook Announcement:

Coming 2020!

Picture Mommy Dead (1966) Starring Don Ameche, Martha Hyer, Susan Gordon, Zsa Zsa Gabor, Maxwell Reed, Wendell Corey, Signe Hasso and Anna Lee – Shot by Ellsworth Fredericks (Invasion of the Body Snatchers) – Music by Robert Drasnin (The Kremlin Letter) – Screenplay by Robert Sherman (Too Late the Hero) – Produced and Directed by Bert I. Gordon (The Amazing Colossal Man, The Magic Sword, Empire of the Ants).

Craig Beam

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CraB
I apologize if this has already been addressed somewhere in the ***198*** pages of this thread, but... whatever happened to Doctor Cyclops? Did it get delayed (or worse, cancelled)?

[email protected]

Supporting Actor

Coming 2020!

Picture Mommy Dead (1966) Starring Don Ameche, Martha Hyer, Susan Gordon, Zsa Zsa Gabor, Maxwell Reed, Wendell Corey, Signe Hasso and Anna Lee – Shot by Ellsworth Fredericks (Invasion of the Body Snatchers) – Music by Robert Drasnin (The Kremlin Letter) – Screenplay by Robert Sherman (Too Late the Hero) – Produced and Directed by Bert I. Gordon (The Amazing Colossal Man, The Magic Sword, Empire of the Ants).

"The worms crawl in, the worms crawl out.....

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
I apologize if this has already been addressed somewhere in the ***198*** pages of this thread, but... whatever happened to Doctor Cyclops? Did it get delayed (or worse, cancelled)?
It was mentioned a few days ago in one of the threads, they're working with Universal on the new 4K scan and expect it to be out in early 2020.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member

Coming 2020!

I've only seen this one in dreadful public domain copies so it will be a real treat to see a proper print.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Sunday’s FB Announcement

Coming 2020!
Brand New 2K Masters! Two Cuts!

The Flesh and the Fiends (1960)
aka Mania
aka The Fiendish Ghouls
aka Psycho Killers

Starring Peter Cushing, Donald Pleasence, June Laverick, Billie Whitelaw, George Rose, Renee Houston and Dermot Walsh – Shot by Monty Berman (Jack the Ripper, The Crawling Eye) – Music by Stanley Black (War-Gods of the Deep, Valentino) – Co-written by Leon Griffiths (The Grissom Gang, The Squeeze) – Co-written and Directed by John Gilling (The Reptile, The Plague of the Zombies).

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Sunday's Facebook Announcement:

Coming 2020!
Brand New 2K Masters! Two Cuts!

The Flesh and the Fiends (1960)
aka Mania
aka The Fiendish Ghouls
aka Psycho Killers

Starring Peter Cushing, Donald Pleasence, June Laverick, Billie Whitelaw, George Rose, Renee Houston and Dermot Walsh – Shot by Monty Berman (Jack the Ripper, The Crawling Eye) – Music by Stanley Black (War-Gods of the Deep, Valentino) – Co-written by Leon Griffiths (The Grissom Gang, The Squeeze) – Co-written and Directed by John Gilling (The Reptile, The Plague of the Zombies).

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
I wish Kino would stop releasing all these Pollyanna, feel-good films and get into some things that have a little more bite in them.

Gary “where’s all the sex, horror and drama?” O.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
The Flesh and the Fiends (1960), an excellent thriller. I saw it with Blood Of The Vampire in the sixties, that double bill was a little trip to hell. Donald Pleasence & George Rose really are the stuff of nightmares. I had the DVD years ago. I'm sure this release will be the biz, & I hope some company releases it in Europe.

Last edited:

cinefan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Stephen
[email protected] post: 4768661 said:
"The worms crawl in, the worms crawl out.....
That song and the child's voice singing it has stuck in my head to an unnerving degree ever since it was inserted there by a late night TV viewing when I was small -- even though I remember almost nothing else about the film. I commented to that effect on the Facebook announcement but for some reason my comment was deleted -- maybe they thought I was implying the film itself wasn't memorable :) . Nevertheless, I'm looking forward to catching up with this and seeing what I don't remember; the cast alone is so intriguing.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks