What's new

Kino-Lorber Insider Announcement Thread (Read Guidelines Post #3) (6 Viewers)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Coming Soon!
Brand New 4K Restoration!

Endless Night (1972) Starring Hayley Mills, Hywel Bennett, Britt Ekland, Per Oscarsson, George Sanders, Peter Bowles and Lois Maxwell - Shot by Harry Waxman (The Wicker Man, Flash Gordon) - Music by Bernard Herrmann (North by Northwest, Psycho) - Based on a Novel by Agatha Christie (Murder on the Orient Express, Death on the Nile) - Produced, Written and Directed by Sidney Gilliat (The Lady Vanishes, Only Two Can Play).

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Coming Soon!

Endless Night (1972) Starring Hayley Mills, Hywel Bennett, Britt Ekland, Per Oscarsson, George Sanders, Peter Bowles and Lois Maxwell - Shot by Harry Waxman (The Wicker Man, Flash Gordon) - Music by Bernard Herrmann (North by Northwest, Psycho) - Based on a Novel by Agatha Christie (Murder on the Orient Express, Death on the Nile) - Produced, Written and Directed by Sidney Gilliat (The Lady Vanishes, Only Two Can Play).

More Agatha Christie on blu ray is a good thing. I don't think Endless Night is among her best books and the movie is just okay. The best thing about it is the Bernard Herrmann score which I believe has never had a legitimate soundtrack release. I'll definitely be adding it to my collection.

Bernard McNair

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bernard McNair
I am very happy with the announcement of Endless Night; Hayley Mills, Agatha Christie story and Bernard Hermann score make this a definite purchase (I recall it being a good movie from several viewings 73/74).
Looks like a few more Aussie dollars are going to move to North America!!

moviepas

Supporting Actor
I had been thinking of the1933 State Fair over the weekend. I have only seen clips in reasonable condition. It was part of the Fox 50 collection for TV put together from Fox vaults by the late Alec Gordon(brother of the now late Richard Gordon) when he was let loose in the library of rare Fox depression era Talkies. It may or may not have been on VHS. It was never in the Will Rogers collection Fox issued on DVD and not in the State Fair(1945, 1963) set. I would love to see it. They did Cavalcade from that year on Blu Ray so why not State Fair?

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I had been thinking of the1933 State Fair over the weekend. I have only seen clips in reasonable condition. It was part of the Fox 50 collection for TV put together from Fox vaults by the late Alec Gordon(brother of the now late Richard Gordon) when he was let loose in the library of rare Fox depression era Talkies. It may or may not have been on VHS. It was never in the Will Rogers collection Fox issued on DVD and not in the State Fair(1945, 1963) set. I would love to see it. They did Cavalcade from that year on Blu Ray so why not State Fair?
I bought the digital stream (can't remember now if it was from iTunes or Vudu), and the movie is entertaining but is not in the best shape. I can see why Fox has been hesitant to release it on disc. It needs a lot of work.

Mysto

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
marv long
It was released on VHS

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
More Agatha Christie on blu ray is a good thing. I don't think Endless Night is among her best books and the movie is just okay. The best thing about it is the Bernard Herrmann score which I believe has never had a legitimate soundtrack release. I'll definitely be adding it to my collection.

That will be corrected pretty soon. Around Thanksgiving, Quartet Records revealed that they will be re-recording the score as a follow-up to their re-recording of Herrmann’s The Bride Wore Black (no idea when it will be released though).

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
That will be corrected pretty soon. Around Thanksgiving, Quartet Records revealed that they will be re-recording the score as a follow-up to their re-recording of Herrmann’s The Bride Wore Black (no idea when it will be released though).

Outstanding news. I have a "reconstruction" of the score from a master cylinder source, which of course sounds awful.

MarkA

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark Abel
Coming Soon!

Great couple of months for Hayley fans! Trouble with Angels, In Search of the Castaways and now Endless Night!! Yay!!

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Coming September 3rd on DVD and BD!
Three Alec Guinness Classics Sold Separately!

KIND HEARTS AND CORONETS
• Audio Commentary by Film Historian Kat Ellinger
• Introduction by Filmmaker John Landis
• Those British Faces: Dennis Price – Featurette
• Interview with Cinematographer Douglas Slocombe
• Alternate American Ending
• Theatrical Trailer

(1949) B&W 106 Minutes 1.37:1 Not Rated
Kind Hearts and Coronets was voted #6 on the BFI’s list of the greatest British films of all time! Sir Alec Guinness (The Lavender Hill Mob) became an international star with his extraordinary performance as eight different characters in this 1949 Ealing Studios classic. Dennis Price (The Frightened Bride) is sublime as an embittered young commoner determined to avenge his mother’s unjust disinheritance by ascending to the dukedom. Unfortunately, eight relatives—all played by the incomparable Guinness—must be eliminated before he can do so. Co-starring Joan Greenwood (The Man in the White Suit), Valerie Hobson (The Bride of Frankenstein) and Hugh Griffith (Start the Revolution Without Me), with top-notch direction by the great Robert Hamer (It Always Rains on Sunday) and beautiful photography by Douglas Slocombe (The Lion in Winter).

THE LAVENDER HILL MOB
• Audio Commentary by Film Historian Jeremy Arnold
• Introduction by Filmmaker Martin Scorsese
• Good Afternoon: Mavis Nicholson Interviews Screenwriter T.E.B. Clarke
• Audio Interview with Director Charles Crichton
• Theatrical Trailer

(1951) B&W 81 Minutes 1.37:1 Not Rated
The Men Who Broke the Bank and Lost the Cargo! Sir Alec Guinness (The Captain’s Paradise) received his first Oscar nomination for Best Actor in a Leading Role for his delightful performance as Henry Holland, a meek clerk who devises an ingenious plan to rob a fortune in gold bullion from his own bank. But when Henry and his odd accomplice (Stanley Holloway, My Fair Lady) melt the gold into souvenir Eiffel Towers to smuggle into France, their perfect crime becomes a disastrous caper of Cockney crooks, customs chaos and an ill-timed group of schoolgirls, all leading to some of the most hilarious and unexpected surprises in criminal history. Sidney James (of the Carry On series) and a young Audrey Hepburn (Sabrina) co-star in this beloved Ealing Studios hit directed by Charles Crichton (Dead of Night) that won the Academy Award for Best Screenplay by T.E.B. Clarke (Who Done It?). Beautifully shot by the great Douglas Slocombe (Robbery, Raiders of the Lost Ark).

THE MAN IN THE WHITE SUIT
• Audio Commentary by Film Historian Dr. Dean Brandum
• Revisiting ‘The Man in the White Suit’ – Interviews with Filmmaker Stephen Frears and Film Critic Ian Christie
• Theatrical Trailer

(1951) B&W 85 Minutes 1.37:1 Not Rated
In this definitive Ealing comedy, Sir Alec Guinness (The Lavender Hill Mob) delivers one of his most beloved performances as Sidney Stratton, an eccentric chemist who one day invents a fiber that never wrinkles, wears out or gets dirty. But when the mill owners and workers both realize that this miracle fabric will destroy their industry, Sidney suddenly becomes the most hunted man in the nation. Can a young idealist trapped between big business and mad unions find safety in science, or will the future of Britain become unraveled by one extraordinary suit? Directed by Alexander Mackendrick (The Ladykillers, Sweet Smell of Success), The Man in the White Suit received an Oscar nomination for Best Screenplay by Mackendrick, Roger MacDougall (A Touch of Larceny) and John Dighton (Roman Holiday). Co-starring Joan Greenwood (Kind Hearts and Coronets), Cecil Parker (Under Capricorn) and Michael Gough (Konga), with stunning black-and-white cinematography by the great Douglas Slocombe (Raiders of the Lost Ark, Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade).

Coming Soon: Brand New 4K Restoration of THE CAPTAIN'S PARADISE (1953)

Alec Guinness.jpg

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Dear KL Insider, if you could respond, even if need be in only the most general terms, as to whether KL is possibly investigating or planning the release of any more vintage or classic American or British B+W or Color TV series?

Love, love, love your past releases and pending releases thus far announced!

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Dear KL Insider, if you could respond, even if need be in only the most general terms, as to whether KL is possibly investigating or planning the release of any more vintage or classic American or British B+W or Color TV series?

Love, love, love your past releases and pending releases thus far announced!

Nothing British at this point, but we are looking into releasing some classic American TV shows.

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Coming September 10th on BD!
Two Films Starring Screen Greats John Wayne, Marlene Dietrich and Randolph Scott - Sold Separately!

The Spoilers (1942) with optional English subtitles
• Audio Commentary by Film Historian Toby Roan
• Animated Image Gallery
• Theatrical Trailer

B&W 87 Minutes 1.37:1 Not Rated
Gold and Greed in an Alaskan Boomtown! Screen legends John Wayne (Reap the Wild Wind), Marlene Dietrich (Witness for the Prosecution) and Randolph Scott (Western Union) shine in this action-packed adventure set against the backdrop of the turn-of-the-century Nome Gold Rush. When honest prospector Roy Glennister (Wayne) gets swindled out of his mine claim, he turns to seductive saloon singer Cherry Malotte (Dietrich) for assistance in his battle with no-good town kingpin Alexander McNamara (Scott). It’s an adventure as wild as the Northwest Territory itself, featuring an all-out fight to the finish between western icons Wayne and Scott that’s considered one of the most spectacular action sequences ever filmed. Directed by Ray Enright (Return of the Bad Men) and based on a book by Rex Beach (The World in His Arms). Beautifully shot by the great Milton R. Krasner (All About Eve).

Pittsburgh (1942) with optional English subtitles
• Animated Image Gallery
• Theatrical Trailer

B&W 92 Minutes 1.37:1 Not Rated
Men of Steel! Women of Fire! The dream team of John Wayne (The Searchers), Marlene Dietrich (The Blue Angel) and Randolph Scott (The Spoilers) co-star in this rags-to-riches tale of friendship, love and power. Beautiful Josie Winters (Dietrich) inspires coal-mining buddies Pittsburgh Markham (Wayne) and Cash Evans (Scott) to better their lots in life. Competing for Josie’s affection, the men rapidly climb to the top of their profession. After greed tears the two friends apart, it takes a world war to reunite them, as they refuse to let their patriotism be overshadowed by an age-old rift. The stellar cast includes legendary Stooge Shemp Howard (Soup to Nuts), Thomas Gomez (Ride the Pink Horse) and western icon Paul Fix (Red River). Directed by Lewis Seiler (Guadalcanal Diary).

spoil_pitt.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks