What's new

Kino-Lorber Insider Announcement Thread (Read Guidelines Post #3) (6 Viewers)

RichMurphy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rich
We're announce two title available for the first time time on Blu-ray in the U.S. and the two follow up posts are promoting releases of the same two films from other territories.

I've always thought that this was yet another problem that distributors like Kino Lorber have to deal with. They release films unlikely to sell in vast numbers anyway, but many aficionados have already purchased the titles overseas for their all-region players.

I too have an all-region system and purchase films unavailable in America. But in every case I have repurchased the film when an American release comes out, if only to support the American distributor. It's just a shame that European distributors issue these films first.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
We're announce two title available for the first time time on Blu-ray in the U.S. and the two follow up posts are promoting releases of the same two films from other territories.

I'm sure they didn't intend to throw shade on the exciting announcement of these films finally making their U.S. debuts. Not everyone has a region free player. I remember I had an Aunt who would always one up. My mother would proudly show off her new wool sweater and the Aunt would say, "Oh, I have that design in cashmere." :lol:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I'm sorry about that, but just stating the reality that some of us have previously bought those two titles from another Region so I have to debate then rationalize my decision to buy these new Region A announcements again on disc. I'm happy both of your announcements have new audio commentaries as I'm a sucker for audio commentaries.

Last edited:

Keith Cobby

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Keith Cobby
I'm sorry about that, but just stating the reality that some of us have previously bought those two titles from another Region so I have to debate then rationalize my decision to buy these new Region A announcements again on disc. I'm happy both of your announcements have new audio commentaries as I'm a sucker for audio commentaries.

Having been region-free from the beginning I have bought DVD/blu-ray from all regions. It is impossible to know whether titles will eventually be released in your home region. No point in waiting for something that may not happen.

As with Robert and others, I often buy titles again to upgrade quality or for new supplements. I already have the region B of Touchez Pas Au Grisbi and look forward to buying the KL release of one of my favourite films.

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Coming August 13th - the Master of Suspense's 120th Birthday!

Blackmail (1929) with optional English subtitles
• BFI Restoration
• Audio Commentary by Film Historian Tim Lucas
• Hitchcock/Truffaut: Icon interviews Icon (Archival Audio)
• The Silent Version of the Film - Score by Mont Alto Motion Picture Orchestra
• Introduction by Noël Simsolo (6:12)
• Anny Ondra’s screen test (0:57)

From Alfred Hitchcock, the legendary director of Notorious, Lifeboat, North by Northwest and Psycho comes this thriller about a woman fighting off a sleazy blackmailer. Blackmailwas Hitchcock’s first full-length sound film and was only his second foray into the suspense genre. A grocer's daughter, Alice White (Anny Ondra, The Manxman) kills a man in self-defense when he tries to sexually assault her. Her policeman boyfriend, Detective Frank Webber (John Longden, The Skin Game) covers up for her, but she has been spotted leaving the scene by a petty criminal who starts to blackmail her. Based on a play by Charles Bennett (Foreign Correspondent, The 39 Steps) and co-starring Sara Allgood (The Lodger).

blackmail.jpg

Last edited:

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Coming August 13th - the Master of Suspense's 120th Birthday!

Murder! (1930) with optional English subtitles
• BFI Restoration
• Audio Commentary by Film Critic Nick Pinkerton
• Hitchcock/Truffaut: Icon interviews Icon (Archival Audio)
• MARY: 1931 German version of 'Murder!' also directed by Hitchcock (Up-res)
• Introduction by Noël Simsolo
• Alternate Ending

From Alfred Hitchcock, the legendary director of Number Seventeen, Shadow of a Doubt, Rear Window and The Birds. Hitchcock’s third sound film was a return to the crime genre, adapted by Hitchcock and Walter Mycroft (Champagne) from the play Enter Sir John, written by Clemence Dane (A Bill of Divorcement) and Helen Simpson (Sabotage). An actress, Diana Baring (Norah Baring, A Cottage on Dartmoor) is convicted of the murder of another actress in the same touring company. But the distinguished actor Sir John Menier (Herbert Marshall, The Letter), who served on the jury at her trial, becomes convinced of her innocence and decides to solve the case. Beautifully shot by Joel E. Cox (The Lady Vanishes). This special edition also includes Mary, the 1931 German version of the film also directed by Hitchcock and starring Alfred Abel as Sir John Menier and Olga Tschechowa as Mary Baring.

738329239046.jpg

Last edited:

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
A good time to jump in here just after these fabulous early Hitchcock titles announcements. Away from the web for a few weeks, I was thrilled to discover Kino will be releasing my beloved Herbert Brenon/Betty Bronson 1924 Peter Pan in HD! A young Walt Disney was so bowled over by it that he used Ernest Torrence's Capt. Hook as a blueprint for that character. Betty Bronson gave the performance of her career in this masterpiece, So popular was Peter Pan that Brenon and Bronson made A Kiss For Cinderella the following year. It proved another blockbuster for Paramount. Sure hope that A Kiss For Cinderella might make it to disc someday. At a young person's screening of Peter Pan in Santa Monica some years ago, the young audience cheered and seemed enthralled with the film. THIS is the film one should show to folks skeptical that they would enjoy a silent. Peter Pan, like Metropolis, is timeless.

Last edited:

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Sir or Madam: Are we any nearer to a Blu-ray upgrade of BROKEN BLOSSOMS? Many thanks.

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider

No problem. It's kind of demoralizing, so I thought I should say something.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
And since I don't use Facebook or Twitter, will you be posting these announcements here? Thanks.

Sorry, pretty sure someone else will share with the fans here. We're off for the weekend, so we won't be able to post them here and on the other forums simultaneously.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks