What's new

Kino-Lorber Insider Announcement Thread (Read Guidelines Post #3) (13 Viewers)

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Kino Lorber said it had one Elizabeth Taylor title in their Universal deal. Speculation was that it was either Boom or Secret Ceremony. Shout Factory just announced their release of Boom, so it looks like the Kino title is Secret Ceremony, a much better film than Boom.

Yes, Secret Ceremony is with KL.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
It kind of is, but it's a slow death.

I think it's sort of morphing back to what laserdisc was thirty years ago -- a niche market for collectors. The bright side is that titles like these RKO precodes, which wouldn't have been touched by the major studios when they were mining their vaults, are being tossed to boutique labels like Kino Lorber, who have no qualms about releasing them.

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
with the sad passing of Albert Finney, i have a question, does Kino have his first starring role, Saturday Night and Sunday Morning, i know it was released by BFI in the UK, i was just wondering if you had the North American release?

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
I think it's sort of morphing back to what laserdisc was thirty years ago -- a niche market for collectors. The bright side is that titles like these RKO precodes, which wouldn't have been touched by the major studios when they were mining their vaults, are being tossed to boutique labels like Kino Lorber, who have no qualms about releasing them.

It's bigger than that.

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Here's the complete Kino Lorber April schedule. 34 releases - 41 films & 23 Cartoon Shorts!

KL Studio Classics Green Card (1990) 4/2/19
KL Studio Classics Unstrung Heroes (1995) 4/2/19
KL Studio Classics An Innocent Man (1989) 4/2/19
Kino Classics RKO Classic Adventures (1930-31) - 3 Film Collection 4/2/19
Kino Classics RKO Classic Romances (1930-31) - 5 Film Collection 4/2/19
Kino Lorber ¡Las Sandinistas! (2018) 4/2/19 DVD only
Alive Mind Mantra: Sounds into Silence (2017) 4/2/19 DVD only
KL Studio Classics Rider on the Rain (1970) 4/9/19
KL Studio Classics Cold Sweat (1970) 4/9/19
KL Studio Classics Emmanuelle (1974) 4/9/19
KL Studio Classics Emmanuelle 2 (1975) 4/9/19
KL Studio Classics Goodbye Emmanuelle (1977) 4/9/19
Kino Lorber Touch Me Not (2018) 4/9/19
Kino Lorber The Gospel of Eureka (2018) 4/9/19 DVD only
KL Studio Classics Highway Patrolman (1991) 4/16/19
KL Studio Classics Becky Sharp (1935) 4/16/19
KL Studio Classics Bend of the River (1952) 4/16/19
Scorpion Releasing Brief Encounter (1974 TV Movie) 4/16/19
Kino Lorber Halfaouine: Boy of he Terraces (1990) 4/16/19
Kino Lorber A Summer in La Goulette (1996) 4/16/19
Kino Lorber Zizou (2016) 4/16/19
Greenwich The Invisibles (2017) 4/16/19 DVD only
KL Studio Classics Scream and Scream Again (1970) 4/23/19
KL Studio Classics The House of the Seven Gables (1940) 4/23/19
KL Studio Classics The Strange Door (1951) 4/23/19
KL Studio Classics The Land Unknown (1957) 4/23/19
KL Studio Classics Acceptable Risks (1986 TV Movie) 4/23/19 DVD only
KL Studio Classics The Sinking of the Rainbow Warrior (1993 TV Movie) 4/23/19 DVD only
Kino Classics Underground (1928) 4/23/19
Kino Classics The Informer (1929) 4/23/19
Kino Classics Shooting Stars (1928)
4/23/19
KL Studio Classics Hannibal (2001) (4K Restoration Special Edition) 4/30/19
KL Studio Classics Fantomas 1960s 3 Film Collection (1964-67) 4/30/19
KL Studio Classics Pink Panther Cartoon Collection Volume 5 (1976-78) 4/30/19

Real Name
Kevin Hovis
That would be great, but unfortunately there's a rights problem holding up the silent version. I haven't heard the details, but since Paramount still owns their own silent films (not Universal), it's probably related to story rights.

Ah ok. I mistakenly thought that Universal would own the rights since they owned the rights to the '39 Paramount version. One can hope that it will someday see a release on blu-ray or dvd. Thanks for clarifying!

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
Now that's a real curve-ball, these RKO titles. Most of the titles strike me as the curious batch of early RKO's with Pathe origins, which had somehow fallen into public-domain, and I'm assuming these are done outside the scope of Warner's, which otherwise has them as a part of their library. I've always liked Helen Twelvetrees, which makes me an automatic sucker for these. I'm particularly interested in a good print of "The Painted Desert." I'm certainly assuming it's the 1931 film, and not the 1938 George O'Brien film, also released by RKO.

I wonder if Lobster has access to decent prints of the Pathe films before the RKO connection. Always been curious as to whether good prints of some of those films survive, like Tom Keene's "Pardon My Gun" (1930), which I think is the one that has Abe Lyman and his Orchestra doing a bit, along with other Twelvetrees films like "Swing High" and "Her Man."

Real Name
Kevin Hovis
Coming April 16th on DVD and Blu-ray!
The First Film Released in 3-Strip Technicolor!
Oscar Nominee: Best Actress (Hopkins)!

Becky Sharp (1935) with optional English subtitles
• Brand New 4K Restoration - from the 35mm Nitrate Negatives & Positive Separations
• Audio Commentary by Film Historian Jack Theakston
• Trailers

About the Restoration:
Many, many hands went into restoring this title. It is the most complex project Paramount Archives has ever worked on.

Picture & overall restoration/preservation (which happened over a 35 year span):
• Paramount Archives
• Technicolor Creative Services
• UCLA Film Archives
• Robert Gitt
• Richard Dayton
• Eric Aijala

Audio restoration:
• Deluxe Audio
• Audio Mechanics
• DJ Audio

With Special Thanks to:
• The Film Foundation

Becky Sharp (1935) Color 84 Minutes 1.37:1 Not Rated
In the years just preceding Waterloo, best friends Becky Sharp (Miriam Hopkins, Trouble in Paradise) and Amelia Sedley (Frances Dee, I Walked with a Zombie) graduate from Miss Pinkerton’s Academy for Girls. The wealthy Amelia invites the penniless Becky into the bosom of her family home while the manipulative Becky plots her climb up the social ladder. Entirely lacking in scruples and unhampered by conscience or morality, Becky ascends to the very pinnacle of society, crushing anyone who stands in her path. Set against the backdrop of the Napoleonic Wars, Rouben Mamoulian’s (Love Me Tonight, The Mark of Zorro) adaptation of Thackeray’s (The Memoirs of Barry Lyndon, Esq.) epic novel Vanity Fair was the first film to be produced in three-strip Technicolor. Screenplay by Francis Edward Faragoh (Little Caesar, Frankenstein) and co-starring Cedric Hardwicke (The Lodger), Billie Burke (The Young in Heart), Nigel Bruce (Suspicion) and Alan Mowbray (I Wake Up Screaming).

View attachment 55026

Looking forward to this release. This will probably be a day 1 purchase for me. Many thanks to KL and Paramount for restoring and releasing this.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks