1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Kino Lorber Insider (Read Guidelines Post #3)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Kino Lorber Insider, Nov 20, 2017.

1. battlebeast

battlebeast Cinematographer

Warren
    “Mute” menus? That’s insane! I wonder what title that was for...

2. TheSteig

TheSteig Screenwriter

David
    He said one at another forum..

Vintage Horror likes this.
  3. Vintage Horror

Vintage Horror Stunt Coordinator

Shawn McCracken
    Interesting. I *thought* he said a couple in this forum, but who knows what page that was on! LOL Thanks.

4. skylark68

skylark68 Screenwriter

Timothy
    WOW, thanks for the announcement of the Fantomas films! I'm a huge fan of Mylene Demongeot!

5. TheSteig

TheSteig Screenwriter

David
    If its just one I would guess its from the Boris Karloff collection. Maybe if there is another it could be something he doesnt star in like Unconquered or The Bells or something

6. Douglas R

Douglas R Cinematographer

Doug
    I really hate the trend of not having opening titles and credits. Are today’s mainly young filmgoers so lacking in concentration that they get bored reading credits for a minute or two?

7. Message #2467 of 3558 Jan 13, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
    Billy Batson

Billy Batson Producer

Alan
    Yup, a thing of the past now. Remember those title sequences, & of course the title music (usually the best cue on the soundtrack album), at the end of it you had some idea of the tone of the film that followed, & of course at the end of the film you got..."The End", & not ten minutes of 10,000 names rolling up the screen. Happy days.

8. williampl7@aol.com

[email protected] Stunt Coordinator

Many times I was one of those 10,000 names.

Mark Cappelletty and B-ROLL like this.
  9. Josh Steinberg

Josh Steinberg Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Josh Steinberg
    I don't think it's about boredom or losing audience interest. I think it's a stylistic choice meant to put the viewer directly into the world of the film, as soon as possible, without the reminder that it's actually a fictional story being assembled by a talented group of actors, artists and technicians.

I like a great title sequence as much as the next guy, but I also find the technique of starting the movie without credits to be very effective. Sometimes it can even help keep the mystery of the movie going. For example, there's a movie that came out a few years ago called "Passengers" and it's about two people who are stuck on a ship and one of the central plot question is "will these two people find help, or are they completely on their own?" If the film's credits had played at the beginning of the film, the audience would know right away whether or not the two central characters encountered anyone else - the presence of more than two names being credited would automatically give that away. In less drastic examples, holding the credits until the end can help preserve surprises about casting.

dvdclon, revgen and Vintage Horror like this.
  10. Jobla

Jobla Supporting Actor

Will the Fantomas films be in English audio, or French with English subtitles?

11. battlebeast

battlebeast Cinematographer

Warren
    You can thank Billy Barty for those end credits. I UNDERSTAND, but I don’t like.

12. Thomas T

Thomas T Producer

Frankly I don't understand all the complaining about the long list of credits at the end of the movie. If you're not interested, then leave. No one is making you stay. There are a lot of hard working people who've put it in long days and overtime to make the movie you've just seen. They deserve credit too, not just the stars, writer and director of the movie. Film is a collaborative effort and I've witnessed first hand the hard work of grips, production assistants, assistant directors, make up artists, prop people, costumers, boom operators, background artists etc. and yes, even craft service! Their credit at the end of the film is the acknowledgement of their hard work.

13. Traveling Matt

Traveling Matt Supporting Actor

If people are interested in a movie, they will read about it and its stars beforehand as they always have. I agree for certain movies it may be helpful to not include an opening credit sequence, but skipping them as a regular habit is unfortunate.

It strikes me not so much as a reflection of short attention spans (though that may be it exactly) but as a reflection of our tendency to merge real life and fiction. YouTube "stars," for example, just PLAY their content. They don't present production information first, or at all, because it's not a production - it's real life, yo. When movies just start, it says to me they feel it would be corny or old-fashioned to proudly unveil a work of fiction and show off the talent who brought you what you're about to enjoy (who are not just actors of course). Whenever I do see opening credits these days, it excites me because I feel their pride and get the sense I can settle in for what these pros have to offer. After all, if I'm watching a mess I won't have the director's name running through my head if I haven't seen it yet. ;)

From the Lon Chaney Phantom of the Opera end credits: "this is repeated at the request of picture patrons who desire to check the names of performers whose work has pleased them."

14. Message #2474 of 3558 Jan 14, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
    Billy Batson

Billy Batson Producer

Alan
    You aren't that standby driver that I keep seeing on credits are you? :)

Sorry if all this has hijacked the Kino thread, I'm sure once there's another announcement things will go back to normal.

15. Rick Thompson

Rick Thompson Screenwriter

I don't have any problem with the end titles, but I do with no main title. We don't get that music that puts us immediately into the world of the film. No "Magnificent Seven," "Great Escape," "Chinatown," "Miracle on 34th Street," "Superman," "Gone With the Wind," the list goes on and on. The closest thing to it was "Star Wars," which gave you that great opening crawl. Aside from that film's end title music, the end titles are pretty forgettable. Maybe today's composers can't write memorably, or maybe they're not inspired to do when they know virtually no one will be hearing it. Tough to feel inspired then, though the money is certainly good.

16. Thomas T

Thomas T Producer

Oh, I love main titles too! Can you imagine the Bond movies without their main title sequences accompanied by those stunning graphics and (usually) great title song?

17. ScottHM

ScottHM Supporting Actor

Scott
    I thought that's what their paychecks were for.

---------------

Richard M S likes this.
  18. Message #2478 of 3558 Jan 14, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
    Kino Lorber Insider

Insider

Insider
    Coming April 2019 on Blu-ray!

The Strange Door (1951) Starring Charles Laughton, Boris Karloff, Sally Forrest, Richard Wyler, Alan Napier and Michael Pate - Shot by Irving Glassberg (The Tarnished Angels, Bend of the River) - Screenplay by Jerry Sackheim (The Black Castle) - Based on the Story "" by Robert Lewis Stevenson (Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, The Body Snatcher) - Directed by Joseph Pevney (Foxfire, Female on the Beach).

strange_door_poster_sm.

19. Kino Lorber Insider

Insider

Insider
    Usually due to music clearance.

battlebeast likes this.
  20. Kino Lorber Insider

Insider

Insider
    We just announced The Strange Door (1951), so there's the Karloff title. We announced Naked Alibi (1954) and should have at least two more.

Mark-W, bubuwest, Rodney and 7 others like this.