What's new

Kino-Lorber Insider Announcement Thread (Read Guidelines Post #3) (11 Viewers)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I've been waiting for DR. CYCLOPS and was hoping that it was coming from Kino! I love this movie!
You owe some thanks to me as I just purchased the 2016 Universal Vault DVD of it recently. My strange karma with buying DVD titles then having them come out on Blu-ray shortly thereafter continues in 2019.:rolleyes:

Last edited:

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
You owe some thanks to me as I just purchased the 2016 Universal Vault DVD of it recently. My strange karma with buying DVD titles then having them come out on Blu-ray shortly thereafter continues in 2019.:rolleyes:
Robert, please buy The Sons Of Katie Elder DVD immediately!!!

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Nice! I ran a brand-new 35mm print from Universal of Dr Cyclops a number of years ago and it looked terrific.
Whereas as a child, I saw a 35mm nitrate print projected with carbon arcs. That's what my very small home town theater used to run prior to the installation of CinemaScope: old, old prints that were never returned to the mainland.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Robert, please buy The Sons Of Katie Elder DVD immediately!!!
Unfortunately, I purchased that DVD back in 2001, so my strange karma hasn't work with that particular title. I wished it did as it would be nice to revisit my childhood when I first viewed that film at the Merritt theater which was my neighborhood cinema before multi-theater complexes became the thing.
In that case, I hope that you recently purchased a DVD of THIS ISLAND EARTH!
Unfortunately, another DVD that I purchased a long time ago back in 2006, which hasn't work that strange karma for an upcoming Blu-ray release.

thetao

Grip
Real Name
Todd
@KLI: If there is a followup Universal deal, would you consider "The Last Warning" (1928)? Universal restored this film a couple years ago, and while I expect that silent films take a little more work to prepare, i.e. acquiring a soundtrack, KL had a surprisingly healthy silent output in 2018, not to mention Leni's "Cat and the Canary" back in the days of DVD.

And would anybody explain exactly what constitutes a "special edition"? I bought Kino's two Kolchak BD's, so am guessing this means liner notes and a slipcover? How long has this been going on and what other titles are included? Maybe a thorough search of this thread would work?

rdimucci

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert DiMucci
Maybe so, but 48 years later, I don't know why they AREN'T ALLOWED to put [Diane Keaton's] name on the cover. It's weird to me.

It's just as well, in my opinion. I hate it when a video company finds that some now-famous actor had a bit part in a film they are releasing and then moves that actor's name to the top of the credit list. I don't mind if they mention in the back cover blurb to "look out for so-and-so, who has a small role in the film," but in many cases, what they do on the front cover amounts to false advertising.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
KLI: I may have mentioned this before, but thank you so much for the OSS 117 series on bluray. I've rewatched those films a few times now, and the ones with Kerwin Mathews in particular are just really great. The PQ is just beyond amazing as well. Thanks again!
I also watched those recently, after wanting to see them for ages. Seeing John Gavin in that part confirms that the Bond producers really dodged a bullet with Diamonds Are Forever. I was very surprised that that was Frederick Stafford's first acting role - he's better with more screen presence than George Lazenby, in my opinion.

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
KLI, do you have any films with Charles Bronson, Demi Moore or Billy Zane on your upcoming schedule?

That's kind of a strange list of actors, we announced RIDER ON THE RAIN a few weeks ago and have more Bronson on the way. We may have one more titles with Demi Moore, we released THE SCARLET STREET a couple of months ago. Don't think we have any Billy Zane films.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
It's just as well, in my opinion. I hate it when a video company finds that some now-famous actor had a bit part in a film they are releasing and then moves that actor's name to the top of the credit list. I don't mind if they mention in the back cover blurb to "look out for so-and-so, who has a small role in the film," but in many cases, what they do on the front cover amounts to false advertising.
I don’t like it either... I was just wondering why it was an absolute no to put Keaton on the front.

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
@KLI: If there is a followup Universal deal, would you consider "The Last Warning" (1928)? Universal restored this film a couple years ago, and while I expect that silent films take a little more work to prepare, i.e. acquiring a soundtrack, KL had a surprisingly healthy silent output in 2018, not to mention Leni's "Cat and the Canary" back in the days of DVD.

And would anybody explain exactly what constitutes a "special edition"? I bought Kino's two Kolchak BD's, so am guessing this means liner notes and a slipcover? How long has this been going on and what other titles are included? Maybe a thorough search of this thread would work?

We would be interested if it was available to us.

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
KLI: I may have mentioned this before, but thank you so much for the OSS 117 series on bluray. I've rewatched those films a few times now, and the ones with Kerwin Mathews in particular are just really great. The PQ is just beyond amazing as well. Thanks again!

We plan to release a similar collection from the same filmmaker André Hunebelle - Fantomas 1960s Collection [Fantômas (1964) / Fantômas Unleashed (1965) / Fantômas vs. Scotland Yard (1967)]. Should be out pretty soon!

BTW, I think the two Frederick Stafford films are the two best ones in the OSS 117 set. But to each his own :)

fantomas.jpg

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Hi KL, I was reading elsewhere that you said Kino had one Boris Karloff title. I was wondering how many Film Noir titles from Universal do you have , if any ? (Pre 1960)
Thanks ! :)

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I don’t like it either... I was just wondering why it was an absolute no to put Keaton on the front.

There's probably an insane amount of paperwork and clearance to get something like that altered. I read in a thread on another forum that another label's license for a title was so strict they had to use exact artwork for menus and the cover, including mute menus.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks