1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Kino Lorber Insider (Read Guidelines Post #3)

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Kino Lorber Insider, Nov 20, 2017.

1. Stephen PI

Stephen PI Supporting Actor

To Kino Lorber Insider, do you know if the "Sweet Charity" master has 4.0 or 5.1 audio? 2.0 is not the correct audio format for this film. If it is 2.0, could you please confirm with Universal that the correct audio is on the master? Otherwise you might lose a few sales, certainly myself included. Thank you.

2. Message #2182 of 5767 Nov 14, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
    PMF

PMF Producer

Philip
    Thank you, Stephen, for this heads up. I would also be among those lost sales, if this were not to be addressed or rectified.
    Indeed, if ever there were a sound cue for me to follow, it would have to be yours.
    France has their BD of "Sweet Charity" already available and its a Region-Free disc, as well.
    Does anyone have any insights on the audio from France's transfer?

Stephen PI likes this.
  3. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Director
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    So very thrilled with the announcement of Dead of Night. Love this "circular" thriller, and I can't wait to see it in high definition. My DVD will then go to someone else's welcoming hands.

Jimbo64, Jack K and Flashgear like this.
  4. Stephen PI

Stephen PI Supporting Actor

If I recall correctly the audio was terrible on the DVD and a friend said the same about the foreign blu ray. Frankly, I don't see any improvement forthcoming unless someone in control recognizes the fact that its unlistenable and does something about it.

DP 70 and PMF like this.
  5. CinemaCynic

CinemaCynic Stunt Coordinator

Matt
    I wonder if 'Murder by Decree' might make it out on Blu as a result. Very underrated Sherlock Holmes film.

TheSteig, Keith Cobby and DavidJ like this.
  6. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Director
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    Not underrated by me. I think it's a masterful Holmes tale with great casting in the two leads and an interesting solution to the Jack the Ripper story (more complex than the one offered in A Study in Terror).

Bernard McNair and DavidJ like this.
  7. Dick

Dick Lead Actor
    Supporter

Rick
    The only two of the CARRY ON series that I enjoy are CARRY ON NURSE (which I saw theatrically and which I believe started off the series) and CARRY ON TEACHER, which had me cracking up when I caught it on t.v. What I have seen of the rest of the series seems stupidly broad and repetitive.

8. Dick

Dick Lead Actor
    Supporter

Rick
    Oh my God, yes! Any chance you will release this, about the only remaining major Sherlock Holmes film not have hit Blu-ray anywhere in the world?​

9. Dick

Dick Lead Actor
    Supporter

Rick
    I have a U.K. Blu of this and it's a little rough. Hopefully this "restoration" will be the edition I've wanted all along.

10. Kino Lorber Insider

Insider

Insider
    Coming Soon!
    First Time on DVD and Blu-ray!

The Champagne Murders (1967) Starring Anthony Perkins, Maurice Ronet, Stéphane Audran, Yvonne Furneaux and Henry Jones - Shot by Jean Rabier (Les Biches, The Unfaithful Wife) - Directed by Claude Chabrol (Les Bonnes Femmes, L'Enfer, La Cérémonie).

cm.

11. Message #2191 of 5767 Nov 15, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
    Arthur Powell

Arthur Powell Second Unit

Arthur
    Finally got Old Ironsides in the mail yesterday. While I've only had the time to watch the first few minutes of the disc, I can say that the movie really looks great from what I have seen! I was disappointed that Gaylord Carter's score wasn't used for the film, but I can understand why it wasn't used after reading the back cover notes. Mr. Carter's score probably was recorded at 24 fps, but this release is presented at a variable speed in accordance to primary source material. That said, Rodney Sauer's piano reduction score of the original compiled score sounds fine and gives good support to the film. I hope I have the time to sit down and watch the disc in its entirety soon.

Flashgear, Danny Burk and Bert Greene like this.
  12. TheSteig

TheSteig Screenwriter

David
    Ill see your Murder by Decree and raise you a
    Death on the Nile
    Evil Under the Sun

Both are the Peter Ustinov as Poirot movies and are with Lionsgate in the US which would be Studio Canal in the UK from what I gather
    I have the import blu rays for those but now I start to ponder

Flashgear likes this.
  13. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Director
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    I bought Swedish import Blu-rays of those Agatha Christie classics. Evil Under the Sun looks simply magnificent, and I wouldn't expect it to be any better stateside. Death on the Nile is the weakest looking of the bunch now.

(BTW, if you're a fan of the 1974 Murder on the Orient Express and want to see a sterling transfer, stream it from Amazon Prime for free for members. It's the best I've seen it look on my home equipment.)

Sorry. I didn't mean to hijack the Kino thread. Please excuse.

JohnMor, Flashgear and TheSteig like this.
  14. David Weicker

David Weicker Producer

David
    Well, with the new Studio Canal deal, and the Universal deal, we could get an R1/A Musketeers set

SC put out Three Musketeers/Four Musketeers on Blu in the U.K. (through Optimum)
    And Universal released Return Of The Musketeers on their DVD Vault series

Flashgear and Darby67 like this.
  15. TheSteig

TheSteig Screenwriter

David
    I have the 1974 Blu ray of Murder on the Orient Express as well. That one and the Ustiov films all had significantly better transfers on the re-releases that came out about a year or so ago. If Kino has the Ustinov titles Id probably would get them :)

Flashgear likes this.
  16. Kino Lorber Insider

Insider

Insider
    Coming February 5th on DVD and Blu-ray!

Zachariah (1971) with optional English subtitles
    • BRAND NEW HD MASTER FROM A 4K SCAN OF THE ORIGINAL CAMERA NEGATIVE!
    • NEW INTERVIEW WITH STAR JOHN RUBINSTEIN
    • NEW AUDIO COMMENTARY BY FILM HISTORIANS HOWARD S. BERGER AND NATHANIAL THOMPSON
    • THEATRICAL TRAILER

Color 93 Minutes 1.85:1 Rated GP
    The First Electric Western! Firepower meets flower power in this outrageous western about two thrill-seeking cowboys who rock the range. Starring John Rubinstein (The Car), Don Johnson (TV’s Miami Vice), Dick Van Patten (High Anxiety) and featuring legendary musicians Country Joe and the Fish and White Lightnin', this psychedelic trip through the Wild West is an utterly unique film experience. Two cowboys (Rubinstein and Johnson) set out for adventure and join up with a band of rock 'n' roll outlaws. But as the two friends are seduced by their own quick-draw ambitions, a deadly rivalry grows between them, and they must struggle to find a path to peace – before they lose more than their reputations... and kill more than their friendship. Hollywood veteran George Englund (The Ugly American) directed this one-of-a-kind cult classic.

17. Message #2197 of 5767 Nov 16, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2018
    Kino Lorber Insider

Insider

Insider

Oscar Nominee: Best Actor (Walter Matthau)
    Oscar Nominee: Best Sound (Richard Portman and Jack Solomon)
    Oscar Nominee: Best Editing (Ralph E. Winters)
    Oscar Nominee: Best Song "Life Is What You Make It" - Music by Marvin Hamlisch - Lyrics by Johnny Mercer

Kotch (1971) with optional English subtitles
    • BRAND NEW HD MASTER FROM A 4K SCAN OF THE ORIGINAL CAMERA NEGATIVE!
    • NEW AUDIO COMMENTARY BY FILM HISTORIANS LEE GAMBIN AND EMMA WESTWOOD
    • PROMOTIONAL TRAILER WITH STAR WALTER MATTHAU AND DIRECTOR JACK LEMMON

Color 114 Minutes 1.85:1 Rated GP
    The iconic comedy duo of Walter Matthau (Charley Varrick) and Jack Lemmon (Irma La Douce) team up again, but this time with Lemmon behind the camera, in his outstanding directorial debut and Matthau in his Oscar-nominated leading performance as Joseph P. Kotcher. Kotch is a kindly, if occasionally exasperating widower who has worn out his welcome with his son, daughter-in-law and grandson. Despite his many pearls of wisdom, he soon finds himself feeling useless and unwanted. But just when he seems destined for a retirement home, Kotch befriends a feisty, unwed, teenage mother-to-be (Deborah Winters, Blue Sunshine) and embarks on the unlikeliest of adventures. Richard H. Kline (Mr. Majestyk) shot this delightful comedy-drama that bridges the proverbial generation gap with laughter, irony and compassion–with a script by John Paxton (Crossfire).

PMF, B-ROLL, Tom St Jones and 7 others like this.
  18. Kino Lorber Insider

Insider

Insider

Oscar Winner: Best Actor (Cliff Robertson)

Golden Globe Winner: Best Screenplay (Stirling Silliphant)
    Golden Globe Nominee: Best Picture (Drama)
    Golden Globe Nominee: Best Actor (Robertson) Drama

Charly (1968) with optional English subtitles
    • BRAND NEW 2K MASTER!
    • NEW AUDIO COMMENTARY BY FILM HISTORIANS HOWARD S. BERGER AND NATHANIAL THOMPSON
    • KLSC TRAILERS

Color 103 Minutes 2.35:1 Rated M
    They freed his mind… she captured his heart! From the classic Daniel Keyes novel Flowers for Algernon comes this moving and unforgettable adaptation by director Ralph Nelson (Lilies of the Field) and screenwriter Stirling Silliphant (In the Heat of the Night). This timeless tearjerker features an Academy Award-winning leading performance by Cliff Robertson (The Devil’s Brigade) and a rousing score by the legendary Ravi Shankar (Gandhi). When a mentally challenged man named Charly (Robertson) undergoes experimental brain surgery, he is miraculously freed from the prison of his own mind. As his IQ soars to genius proportions, Charly's eyes are opened to a world he's never truly seen. But when the effects of his operation inexplicably begin to fade, Charly must find a way to halt his regression... before his own mind destroys his life, his newfound romance and the man he's become. Arthur J. Ornitz (The Boys in the Band) shot this classic drama co-starring Claire Bloom (The Haunting) and Dick Van Patten (Zachariah).

19. J. Casey

J. Casey Second Unit

Jason
    Good Lord! Bam, Bam, Bam.....3 more movies I want! ZACHARIAH is a hoot.

20. battlebeast

battlebeast Cinematographer

Warren
    CHARLY! KOTCH!! WOO HOO!!!!!