What's new

Kino-Lorber Insider Announcement Thread (Read Guidelines Post #3) (14 Viewers)

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Coming December 11th From Scorpion Releasing!
Distributed by Kino Lorber!

Death Ship (1980) with optional English subtitles
• Brand New 2K Master
• Audio Commentary with Director Alvin Rakoff
• "Stormy Seas" Featurette with Director Rakoff, Writer Jack Hill, Actors George Kennedy and Nick Mancuso
• "What the Ship is Saying" Featurette
• Play Movie in "Nightmare Theater Mode"
• 5.1 Surround and 2.0 Audio
• Reversible Blu-ray Art
• Theatrical Trailer

Color 91 Minutes 1.78:1 Rated R
The DEATHSHIP has a life of its own... pray you are never rescued by the DEATHSHIP! Academy Award winner George Kennedy (Cool Hand Luke, Thunderbolt and Lightfoot, The Naked Gun and Airport franchises) stars with Richard Crenna (The Evil, Wait Until Dark, First Blood), Nick Mancuso (Nightwing, Rapid Fire, Blame It on the Night) and Saul Rubinek (Unforgiven, Against All Odds, Agency) in this terrifying tale of a possessed ship searching for new victims on the high seas. An ocean liner carrying vacationing passengers collides with a mysterious freighter. The handful of survivors seek refuge aboard the sinister freighter, which turns out to be possessed by the evil forces that once commanded it. Also starring Sally Ann Howe (Chitty Chitty Bang Bang) and Kate Reid (Shoot, The Andromeda Strain) and directed by Alvin Rakoff (City on Fire, Say Hello to Yesterday) and based on a story by Jack Hill (Coffy, Foxy Brown).

death ship.jpg

aPhil

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Phil Smoot
Coming December 11!
First Time on DVD and Blu-ray!

The Last Command (1955) with optional English subtitles
• Brand New HD Master from a 4K Scan of the 35mm Trucolor Original Negative
• Audio Commentary by Alamo Historian Frank Thompson, the author of "Alamo Movies" and "The Alamo: A Cultural History"
• KLSC Trailers

View attachment 50535

I'll be buying El Paso, but this one (The Last Command) is far higher on my list. Really looking forward to seeing 3-color Trucolor with 4K restoration. I hope to hear more about the process of this restoration.

I've never seen The Last Command, and in the past couple years it seems to have taken on legendary status -- Any movie brave enough to cast Arthur Hunnicutt as Davy Crockett (likely looking more like the real guy than Fess Parker or John Wayne) has my interest.

Last edited:

Mark McSherry

Second Unit
Real Name
Mark McSherry
I'll be buying El Paso, but this one (The Last Command) is far higher on my list. Really looking forward to seeing 3-color Trucolor with 4K restoration. I hope to hear more about the process of this restoration.

I've never seen The Last Command, and in the past couple years it seems to have taken on legendary status -- Any movie brave enough to cast Arthur Hunnicutt as Davy Crockett (likely looking more like the real guy than Fess Parker or John Warner) has my interest.

Looks like Arthur may have been typecast here, especially after his Supporting Actor Oscar nomination for THE BIG SKY (1952). He was great there playing the 'Davy Crockett-like' Zeb Calloway.

topanga

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Felicia
"Wild Women" - from the famed ABC Movie of The Week produced by Aaron Spelling.

How about some more tv movies from Aaron Spelling Productions like "But I Don't Want To Get Married!" (1970) - star-studded comedy with women chasing after a newly widowed Herschel Bernardi.

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Coming January 8th!

The House That Would Not Die (1970) with optional English subtitles
• Brand New 2K Master
• Interview with director John Llewellyn Moxey
• Audio Commentary by Film Historian Richard Harland Smith

Color 74 Minutes 1.33:1 Not Rated
Ruth Bennett (Barbara Stanwyck, Witness to Murder, The Lady Eve) has inherited an old house in Gettysburg, Pennsylvania Amish country. She moves into the house with her niece, Sara Dunning (Kitty Winn, The Panic in Needle Park, The Exorcist). The house was built before the Revolutionary War and is said to be haunted by the spirits of its original inhabitants. With the help of Pat McDougal (Richard Egan, The 300 Spartans, GOG), a local professor, and one of his students, Stan Whitman (Michael Anderson Jr., The Sons of Katie Elder, Major Dundee), they delve into the history of the house and find a scandal that involves a Revolutionary War general, who was suspected of being a traitor, and his daughter, who had disappeared after eloping with her boyfriend, a young British soldier. The spirits of the general and his daughter take possession of Pat's and Sara's bodies and a dark secret is revealed. Directed by legendary TV-movie director John Llewellyn Moxey (The Night Stalker, Home for the Holidays) and with a teleplay by the great Henry Farrell (What Ever Happened to Baby Jane, Hush… Hush, Sweet Charlotte).

house.jpg

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I vaguely remember this movie, but haven't seen it since it first aired on TV. I don't even remember if I liked it or not.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Coming January 8th!

The House That Would Not Die (1970) with optional English subtitles
• Brand New 2K Master
• Interview with director John Llewellyn Moxey
• Audio Commentary by Film Historian Richard Harland Smith

Color 74 Minutes 1.33:1 Not Rated
Ruth Bennett (Barbara Stanwyck, Witness to Murder, The Lady Eve) has inherited an old house in Gettysburg, Pennsylvania Amish country. She moves into the house with her niece, Sara Dunning (Kitty Winn, The Panic in Needle Park, The Exorcist). The house was built before the Revolutionary War and is said to be haunted by the spirits of its original inhabitants. With the help of Pat McDougal (Richard Egan, The 300 Spartans, GOG), a local professor, and one of his students, Stan Whitman (Michael Anderson Jr., The Sons of Katie Elder, Major Dundee), they delve into the history of the house and find a scandal that involves a Revolutionary War general, who was suspected of being a traitor, and his daughter, who had disappeared after eloping with her boyfriend, a young British soldier. The spirits of the general and his daughter take possession of Pat's and Sara's bodies and a dark secret is revealed. Directed by legendary TV-movie director John Llewellyn Moxey (The Night Stalker, Home for the Holidays) and with a teleplay by the great Henry Farrell (What Ever Happened to Baby Jane, Hush… Hush, Sweet Charlotte).

View attachment 50562

Wow! Kino has done it again. I have a German DVD but it's a lousy transfer that I can now replace. I never thought I'd see this on blu.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Thomas, How much is Stanwyck in this film?

Stanwyck is the lead and she looks great in her Nolan Miller costumes. It's your standard haunted house vehicle and to be honest, it's one of the weaker entries. But Stanwyck is always worth watching and hopefully the spiffed up 2K transfer will make it a more enjoyable watch.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Stanwyck is the lead and she looks great in her Nolan Miller costumes. It's your standard haunted house vehicle and to be honest, it's one of the weaker entries. But Stanwyck is always worth watching and hopefully the spiffed up 2K transfer will make it a more enjoyable watch.
Thank you as I just wanted to make sure as Stanwyck is my all-time favorite actress.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Thank you as I just wanted to make sure as Stanwyck is my all-time favorite actress.

Yeah, it's odd that Kitty Winn rather than Stanwyck is featured on the blu ray cover (assuming it's the final artwork) as Stanwyck is a legendary star. Winn did co-star in The Exorcist so maybe that's why they went with her rather than Stanwyck. Well, at least we can agree that Stanwyck is a great actress :) (sorry I couldn't resist). Stanwyck did another TV horror movie called Taste Of Evil with Barbara Parkins. Perhaps that will be coming in the future.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Yeah, it's odd that Kitty Winn rather than Stanwyck is featured on the blu ray cover (assuming it's the final artwork) as Stanwyck is a legendary star. Winn did co-star in The Exorcist so maybe that's why they went with her rather than Stanwyck. Well, at least we can agree that Stanwyck is a great actress :) (sorry I couldn't resist).
I don't understand that either since Winn is listed fourth in the credits and "The Exorcist" came three years later.

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Coming to DVD and Blu-ray December 4th via Kino Classics:

THE ATOMIC CAFE (1982)
New 4K Restoration!

Armageddon has never been so darkly funny as in THE ATOMIC CAFE. This 1982 cult classic juxtaposes Cold War history, propaganda, music and culture, seamlessly crafted from government-produced educational and training films, newsreels and advertisements. Taken together, these sources cheerily instruct the public on how to live in the Atomic Age, how to survive a nuclear attack and how to fight and win a nuclear war. Returning to home video in a sparkling 4K restoration created by IndieCollect, THE ATOMIC CAFE is an absurdist blast from the past that remains startlingly relevant.

Bonus Features:
*Selection of Government Propaganda Films (Courtesy of The Prelinger Archives)

*Filmwax Radio Interview with filmmakers Kevin Rafferty, Jayne Loader, and Pierce Rafferty

*Audio Excerpts from Jayne Loader's CD-ROM project "PUBLIC SHELTER" (1995)

*Trailer

Atomice_Cover_BR.jpg

Tom St Jones

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Thomas
3 CREEPY MOVIES I'M WAITING FOR ON BLU-RAY/ HD (OR AT LEAST DVD):

DREAM DEMON (1988) Jemma Redgrave, Kathleen Wilhoite.

CREATURE (AKA "TITAN FIND") (1985) Klaus Kinski, Lyman Ward. One of the better "Alien" rip-offs

THE CAT AND THE CANARY (1978) starring Michael Callan, Honor Blackman, Olivia Hussey, Edward Fox, Wilfred Hyde White. (If not KL, do you know who holds rights?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks