What's new

Kino-Lorber Insider Announcement Thread (Read Guidelines Post #3) (3 Viewers)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
FWIW, Alphaville is one of Godard's most accessible films. A lot of his movies feel like they were made for an audience of about five people, at least two of whom Godard holds in open contempt. Alphaville and Breathless are just about the only of his movies I feel comfortable recommending to someone outside his existing coterie of devotees.
Jean-Luc was an interesting gentleman.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
Jean-Luc was an interesting gentleman.
I met him a few times. He could be either cryptic or expressive, depending on his mood; also wry and humorous. I loved what he said to Norman Mailer, when he accused Godard of never having read King Lear, while trying to make a film of it. "Picasso didn't know the color blue until he painted it, " Godard said. And his films, even when they didn't make much sense, were so expressive visually, I was always swept away; he was always trying to push things further, to open new horizons. ALPHAVILLE is especially interesting, in that though it appears to be accessible and is mostly very funny and entertaining, a kind of pulp fiction/James Bond parody with a dollop of sci-fi, it's also quite visionary and strange, turning into surreal poetry, exploring the vicissitudes of language, especially how to talk when we talk about love. A film prof of mine said he drove up to Montreal to see it when it first came out, as it hadn't reached the States yet. There was a huge mock up of Eddie Constitine with a gal and a gat in front of the cinema. As the audience came out, people were shaking their heads and saying, "Tres difficile."

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
I saw Frogs at Anthony Wayne Drive in in NJ on a double feature with The Conqueror Worm (Witchfinder General)!
Ah Yes, misspent youth

out of all the cult titles announced, saw all of them on the BIG BIG screen

Empire of the Ants - North Auto Theatre, Circleville, OH
Food of the Gods - North Auto Theatre Circleville, OH

Frogs - Fiesta Drive-In, Chillicothe, OH

Squirm - Torch Drive-In, Chillicothe, OH

great memories

Thank Kino!

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Saturday's Facebook Announcement:

Coming Soon on Blu-ray!

2023 HD Master by Paramount Pictures – From 4K Scans!

The Court-Martial of Billy Mitchell (1955)
Starring Gary Cooper, Rod Steiger, Charles Bickford, Ralph Bellamy, Elizabeth Montgomery, Jack Lord, Peter Graves, Darren McGavin & Fred Clark – Shot by Sam Leavitt (Exodus) – Music by Dimitri Tiomkin (High Noon) – Oscar Nominated Screenplay by Milton Sperling (Merrill’s Marauders) & Emmet Lavery (Hitler’s Children) – Produced by Milton Sperling (Blowing Wild) – Directed by Otto Preminger (Laura, Anatomy of a Murder, In Harm’s Way).

1718463769319.png

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Finally, we're going to have a good video presentation of this film on home video. Of course, the Warnercolor process doesn't help it in that regard.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Finally, we're going to have a good video presentation of this film on home video. Of course, the Warnercolor process doesn't help it in that regard.
Nothing wrong with Warner Color. It’s just standard issue EK 5248, processed and printed by the WB lab. Their printing was extremely high quality.

The problem with some, ie Giant, is the long-cut dupes.

This is great news.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
What film(s)?
This is not the right thread to have this discussion so this will be my last post on this subject matter here. Granted, most of the films off the top of my head have not been released on a proper Blu-ray which probably affects my negative perception of Warnercolor. The McConnell Story, Drum Beat and The Miracle of Our Lady of Fatima. For years, I had an issue with Mister Roberts which I think is Warnercolor but has been released on Blu-ray by WA with a solid video presentation.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Coming July 16th on Blu-ray!

https://kinolorber.com/product/columbo-the-return

COLUMBO: THE RETURN
1989-2003
12 Discs

• The final 24 episodes of COLUMBO remastered in 4K by NBCUniversal
• Episode Guide Booklet
• Newly Commissioned Slipcase Cover Illustration by Tony Stella
• Optional Music and Effects Tracks
• Optional English subtitles

Color Approx. 2233 Minutes 1.78:1 Not Rated
Columbo is the landmark series that set the standard for the murder-mystery genre. The original run ended in 1978, but the series triumphantly returned in 1989 with an older and wiser Columbo! Remastered in 4K by NBCUniversal, Columbo: The Return includes the final 24 episodes of this enduring classic on Blu-ray! Starring Peter Falk in his award-winning role as the cigar-chomping, trenchcoat-wearing police lieutenant.

View attachment 222401

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
This is not the right thread to have this discussion so this will be my last post on this subject matter here. Granted, most of the films off the top of my head have not been released on a proper Blu-ray which probably affects my negative perception of Warnercolor. The McConnell Story, Drum Beat and The Miracle of Our Lady of Fatima. For years, I had an issue with Mister Roberts which I think is Warnercolor but has been released on Blu-ray by WA with a solid video presentation.
Agreed that this is not the proper thread, but the discussion should be continued elsewhere, as there is much for viewers to learn.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Saturday's Facebook Announcement:

Coming Soon on Blu-ray!

2023 HD Master by Paramount Pictures – From 4K Scans!

The Court-Martial of Billy Mitchell (1955)
Starring Gary Cooper, Rod Steiger, Charles Bickford, Ralph Bellamy, Elizabeth Montgomery, Jack Lord, Peter Graves, Darren McGavin & Fred Clark – Shot by Sam Leavitt (Exodus) – Music by Dimitri Tiomkin (High Noon) – Oscar Nominated Screenplay by Milton Sperling (Merrill’s Marauders) & Emmet Lavery (Hitler’s Children) – Produced by Milton Sperling (Blowing Wild) – Directed by Otto Preminger (Laura, Anatomy of a Murder, In Harm’s Way).

View attachment 224339

The DVD had mono sound. Hopefully they found the 4-track stereo sound elements.

122155.jpg

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
Tomahawk is a damn fine western! It already looks superb with luscious Technicolor on DVD. Actually, IMHO it's one of the best looking movies that I've ever seen on DVD. Should make for an astounding HD transfer!
It's now available on Prime in stunning HD. I'm unsure why this print is so well preserved or if remastering was done but it looks great.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Sunday's Facebook Announcement:

Coming Soon on Blu-ray!

Brand New HD Restoration by Paramount Pictures – From 6K Scans of the 35mm Original Camera Negative!

Teacher’s Pet (1958)
Starring Clark Gable, Doris Day, Gid Young, Mamie Van Doren, Marion Ross & Charles Lane – Shot by Haskell B. Boggs (The Bellboy) – Screenplay by Fay Kanin (The Opposite Sex) & Michael Kanin (Woman of the Year) – Directed by George Seaton (Miracle of 34th Street, The Country Girl, Airport).

1718550091842.png

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I was wondering when Teacher's Pet was going to show up on Blu-ray. Some of us HTF members bought the iTunes HD digital back in 2020 and thought the video presentation was good enough to be released on Blu-ray back then.

[email protected]

Supporting Actor
Sunday's Facebook Announcement:

Coming Soon on Blu-ray!

Brand New HD Restoration by Paramount Pictures – From 6K Scans of the 35mm Original Camera Negative!

Teacher’s Pet (1958)
Starring Clark Gable, Doris Day, Gid Young, Mamie Van Doren, Marion Ross & Charles Lane – Shot by Haskell B. Boggs (The Bellboy) – Screenplay by Fay Kanin (The Opposite Sex) & Michael Kanin (Woman of the Year) – Directed by George Seaton (Miracle of 34th Street, The Country Girl, Airport).

View attachment 224396
This is a fun movie, so I definitely will be adding it to my library. I used to see this on the 3:30, Early Bird Movie, on channel 2, a Chicago CBS affiliate station.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
Gosh, I haven't seen TEACHER'S PET since it came out. Not a great film, but my dad took me to see it, so it has, as they say, sentimental value. Guess I'll be picking this one up.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jreich
Recent bookmarks