What's new

Kino-Lorber Insider Announcement Thread (Read Guidelines Post #3) (3 Viewers)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Sunday's Facebook Announcement:

Coming Soon on 4KUHD!

Brand New HDR Dolby Vision Master!

BELOW (2002)
Starring Bruce Greenwood, Olivia Williams, Holt McCallany, Scott Foley, Jason Flemying, Dexter Fletcher & Zach Galifianakis – Shot by Ian Wilson (The Crying Game) – Music by Graeme Revell (The Crow) – Co-Written & Produced by Darren Aronofsky (Black Swan) – Co-Written & Directed by David Twohy (The Arrival, Pitch Black).

1707667255410.png

JoshZ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joshua Zyber
I never heard of this movie so I'm wondering how many 4K/UHD units Kino sells of this title.

The movie (Below) did nothing in theaters, but was kind of a sleeper hit on DVD. Not sure how widely remembered it is today, but I recall it being kind of fun, in the vein of those 1990s underwater thrillers (The Abyss, Leviathan, Deep Star Six, etc.) smashed together with a WWII submarine movie.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Yes! Love this film, but had given up all hope of ever seeing another home video release after DVD. Can't wait for this one, and think it should be fairly popular among horror fans as I believe it's something of a cult favorite. Kind of a U-571 with ghosts.

At the time, the studio wanted the director to re-edit the film for a PG-13 rating. Twohy refused, so the studio basically buried the film with just a limited theatrical run and little promotion. This was the film Twohy made between Pitch Black with Vin Diesel and Cole Hauser, and The Chronicles of Riddick.

Rick Thompson

Screenwriter
I have to say I never thought I would see a Blu of Paint Your Wagon, let alone a 4K release. Thank you Kino.
You mean because it's a grade A stinker? I was surprised when the DVD came out. Aside from a nifty dissolve from the painting to live action after the opening credits, and the "They Call the Wind Maria" sequence, it was a painful thing to watch. It put an end to Joshua Logan's film directing career.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
You mean because it's a grade A stinker? I was surprised when the DVD came out. Aside from a nifty dissolve from the painting to live action after the opening credits, and the "They Call the Wind Maria" sequence, it was a painful thing to watch. It put an end to Joshua Logan's film directing career.
Ha, that was no bad thing. For all its many faults I like Paint Your Wagon & am looking forward to this release. I just wish I liked Logan's previous effort Camelot (1967) more, I had the Blu-ray, but got rid of it, I couldn't watch it again.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Ha, that was no bad thing. For all its many faults I like Paint Your Wagon & am looking forward to this release. I just wish I liked Logan's previous effort Camelot (1967) more, I had the Blu-ray, but got rid of it, I couldn't watch it again.
I like Paint Your Wagon AND Camelot, even though I’m not a great lover of musicals.

BobO'Link

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Howie
Paint Your Wagon is one of a half dozen musicals I'll willingly put on myself - that is, those *I* pick to watch (because I generally don't much care for "musicals"). It's just fun and the music works in a way it just wouldn't if they'd have overdubbed the vocals with trained voices.

I'm excited for this release.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I like Paint Your Wagon AND Camelot, even though I’m not a great lover of musicals.

I saw Camelot in the theater at an impressionable age (I was 14 at the time). It didn't hurt that I was already a fan of King Arthur stories. Loved it then. Still do (though these days I can see the weak points).

Reactions: PMF

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Coming April 9th!
https://kinolorber.com/product/you-never-can-tell

YOU NEVER CAN TELL (1951)
• Brand New HD Master – From a 2K Scan of the 35mm Fine Grain
• NEW Audio Commentary by Film Historians Michael Schlesinger and Darlene Ramirez
• Optional English Subtitles

B&W 78 Minutes 1.37:1 Not Rated
The droll Dick Powell (Christmas in July, Pitfall) stars as a hardboiled PI with a taste for kibble in the over-the-top screwball comedy You Never Can Tell. When an eccentric tycoon leaves six million dollars to his faithful dog, King, trustee Ellen Hathaway (Peggy Dow, Bright Victory) is besieged by fortune hunters when they learn she’s next to inherit. After the German Shepherd is poisoned and Ellen’s accused of the crime, King’s spirit is granted special permission to go back to Earth in human form and help clear Ellen’s name. Returning as private eye Rex Shepard (Powell) and aided by a former racehorse named Goldie (Joyce Holden, Iron Man), King puts his nose to the ground in a dogged attempt to sniff out his killer’s name. You Never Can Tell when everything’s gone to the dogs in this gleefully whimsical farce! You Never Can Tell was the only feature film directed by veteran Hollywood screenwriter Lou Breslow (Murder, He Says, Bedtime for Bonzo).

738329266363.jpg

Last edited:

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Coming April 9th!
https://kinolorber.com/product/the-looters

THE LOOTERS (1955)
• NEW Audio Commentary by Film Historian Toby Roan

B&W 87 Minutes 1.85:1 Not Rated
Five desperate men...and a girl who didn’t care...trapped on a mountain of gale-lashed rock!
Rory Calhoun (Marco Polo), Julie Adams (Horizons West) and Ray Danton (The Night Runner) star in this rollicking, noir-tinged adventure from director Abner Biberman (The Price of Fear, Behind the High Wall). When a plane crashes in the snow-capped Rocky Mountains of Colorado, two mountain-climbing mercenaries, Pete and Jesse (Danton and Calhoun), set out on their trail with the intention of rescuing the survivors. But Pete is lured by the $250,000 in cash they find among the plane’s debris—and plans a real robbery against the survivors…with final elimination of all witnesses. Co-starring character actor greats Thomas Gomez (Force of Evil) and Frank Faylen (The Lost Weekend).

738329266370.jpg

Traveling Matt

Supporting Actor
Coming April 9th!
https://kinolorber.com/product/you-never-can-tell

YOU NEVER CAN TELL (1951)
• NEW Audio Commentary by Filmmaker/Historian Michael Schlesinger

B&W 78 Minutes 1.37:1 Not Rated
The droll Dick Powell (Christmas in July, Pitfall) stars as a hardboiled PI with a taste for kibble in the over-the-top screwball comedy You Never Can Tell. When an eccentric tycoon leaves six million dollars to his faithful dog, King, trustee Ellen Hathaway (Peggy Dow, Bright Victory) is besieged by fortune hunters when they learn she’s next to inherit. After the German Shepherd is poisoned and Ellen’s accused of the crime, King’s spirit is granted special permission to go back to Earth in human form and help clear Ellen’s name. Returning as private eye Rex Shepard (Powell) and aided by a former racehorse named Goldie (Joyce Holden, Iron Man), King puts his nose to the ground in a dogged attempt to sniff out his killer’s name. You Never Can Tell when everything’s gone to the dogs in this gleefully whimsical farce! You Never Can Tell was the only feature film directed by veteran Hollywood screenwriter Lou Breslow (Murder, He Says, Bedtime for Bonzo).

View attachment 212876
Kino is on track to complete Peggy Dow's filmography while she's still with us. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks