What's new

Kino-Lorber Insider Announcement Thread (Read Guidelines Post #3) (3 Viewers)

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
Coming February 28th!
https://kinolorber.com/product/secret-of-the-incas-special-edition-1

Secret of the Incas (1954)
• Remastered in HD by Paramount Pictures – From a 4K Scan of the 35mm Original Camera Negative
• NEW Audio Commentary by Film Historian Toby Roan
• Trailers
• Limited Edition O-Card Slipcase
• Optional English Subtitles

B&W 100 Minutes 1.85:1 Not Rated
Screen legend Charlton Heston (Touch of Evil, The Big Country) stars as rugged adventurer Harry Steele in Secret of the Incas, a thrilling action yarn breathtakingly shot at Machu Picchu. Harry earns his living as a tour guide in the jungles of Peru, but plans to make his fortune by finding the Sunburst, an ancient Incan treasure that holds an awesome power. On his perilous quest, he comes across cutthroat Ed Morgan (Thomas Mitchell, Alias Nick Beal), archeologist Stanley Moorehead (Robert Young, Western Union) and beautiful Romanian refugee Elena Antonescu (Nicole Maurey, The Day of the Triffids). Directed by Jerry Hopper (Pony Express, Naked Alibi) and featuring a rare film appearance by Peruvian-American singer Yma Sumac, Secret of the Incas is a colorful, rip-roaring and romance-filled adventure often cited as a key source of inspiration for the Indiana Jones series.

View attachment 165527
View attachment 165528
Yo ho ho Shaughnessy, can some really big damn ants be far behind

Gerani53

Second Unit
Real Name
Gary Gerani
I contacted Bob Furmanek directly, and here's what he said: "You cannot go by release date. The date of principal photography is what matters. SECRET begin filming October 19, nearly one month after WHITE CHRISTMAS (began filming). It’s intended for 1.85." Fair enough... I can understand why Paramount wanted to hold back WC's release a couple of months for the holiday season.

But we still have this enigma to contend with: data shows that SECRET OF THE INCAS was released on June 6, 1954, over four months BEFORE Bob claims principal photography began on the film! Unless the October 19th Bob's referring to is October 19th 1953, "nearly one month after WHITE CHRISTMAS," which would mean Paramount held back WHITE CHRISTMAS a year and four months, deliberately missing Xmas '53, although the film was supposedly already in the can. That doesn't seem believable to me. So, since a headache seems to be brewing as a result of these curious contradictions, I'm throwing my hands up at the point... 1.85 it is!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I contacted Bob Furmanek directly, and here's what he said: "You cannot go by release date. The date of principal photography is what matters. SECRET begin filming October 19, nearly one month after WHITE CHRISTMAS (began filming). It’s intended for 1.85." Fair enough... I can understand why Paramount wanted to hold back WC's release a couple of months for the holiday season.

But we still have this enigma to contend with: data shows that SECRET OF THE INCAS was released on June 6, 1954, over four months BEFORE Bob claims principal photography began on the film! Unless the October 19th Bob's referring to is October 19th 1953, "nearly one month after WHITE CHRISTMAS," which would mean Paramount held back WHITE CHRISTMAS a year and four months, deliberately missing Xmas '53, although the film was supposedly already in the can. That doesn't seem believable to me. So, since a headache seems to be brewing as a result of these curious contradictions, I'm throwing my hands up at the point... 1.85 it is!
Filming began for Secret of the Incas in mid-October, 1953 and concluded in early December, 1953.

uncledougie

Premium
Real Name
Doug
To further stir the pot, here is how IMDb lists technical specs for WHITE CHRISTMAS. And at one time in the past, I thought I’d read the intended ratio for VistaVision was 1.75:1 rather than 1.85, however see also widescreen.org description:

Attachments

• 71BE35CD-D8EC-4826-852F-EA6E36BC8F53.jpeg
    71BE35CD-D8EC-4826-852F-EA6E36BC8F53.jpeg
    240.6 KB · Views: 15
  • 1385CF5C-84CB-48C3-BA4D-878FA2B87270.jpeg
    1385CF5C-84CB-48C3-BA4D-878FA2B87270.jpeg
    369.1 KB · Views: 16

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
To further stir the pot, here is how IMDb lists technical specs for WHITE CHRISTMAS. And at one time in the past, I thought I’d read the intended ratio for VistaVision was 1.75:1 rather than 1.85, however see also widescreen.org description:
Please, lets keep the discussion about Kino's upcoming release of "Secret of the Incas". Discussion about "White Christmas" is a subject matter for another thread besides this Kino Announcement thread.

Gerani53

Second Unit
Real Name
Gary Gerani
Please, lets keep the discussion about Kino's upcoming release of "Secret of the Incas". Discussion about "White Christmas" is a subject matter for another thread besides this Kino Announcement thread.
Sorry about that, Robert... we strayed a bit. But we were just using WHITE CHRISTMAS as a barometer to determine the proper 1954 ratio for SECRETS OF THE INCAS.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Vistavision was intended to be viewed at any of these ratios: 1.66, 1.75, 1.85 and 2.0

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
One of the last Holy Grails for me. I almost can’t believe it! I’ve wanted this in my collection ever since I found out about it in my naive youth. I even remember a conspiracy theory on IMDb that Lucas or Spielberg had some kind of pull over the studio to not let it be released because of its influence on Indiana Jones… 😀. Thanks Kino!

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
looking at the pre-order page on Kino's website, for those of us who like bad exploitation cinema there is another of the forbidden fruit releases on it way :D, i wait for that official announcement

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
Some great newer releases in the winter sale. Exciting viewing for the holidays!
I had Tropic Thunder and Usual Suspects 4Ks both at $14.99 in my cart, along with Amazon Women On The Moon and the Blue Iguana, and the total came to &49.99, one penny short of free shipping. So I removed In Bruges from the Christmas list I gave my family and added it to this order. :D

P.S. Thank you Kino for Blue Iguana. I loved it when I first saw it, but it never played much on cable and isn't streaming anywhere. I am so happy to add this to my collection.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarfunAMD
Recent bookmarks