What's new

Kino-Lorber Insider Announcement Thread (Read Guidelines Post #3) (37 Viewers)

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Maybe they're thinking no order after that point would make it in time for arrival by Christmas Eve I guess...

_Man_
If you want it before Christmas, you better order now or by next weekend at the latest. The 19th is too late or even the Weekend before the 19th.

Last edited:

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
If you want it before Christmas, you better order now or by next weekend at the latest. The 19th is too late or even The Weekend before the 19th.

I shouldn't need anything from this sale before Christmas, but thanks much for the heads-up -- I'm sure others appreciate that info.

_Man_

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Coming February 21st!
https://kinolorber.com/product/the-hunter-special-edition

The Hunter (1980)
• Brand New 2022 HD Master – From a 2022 4K Scan of the Original Camera Negative
• NEW Audio Commentary by Film Historians Steve Mitchell and Nathaniel Thompson
• Theatrical Trailer
• 2 TV Spots
• VHS Trailer
• Reversible Art
• Limited Edition O-Card Slipcase
• Optional English Subtitles

Color 97 Minutes 1.85:1 Rated PG
The final film of screen icon Steve McQueen (The Great Escape, Bullitt, The Getaway) shows the dynamic talent of the late, great actor in one of his most memorable roles: the true story of Ralph “Papa” Thorson, a modern-day bounty hunter. Thorson’s exploits are detailed as he pursues a number of fugitives who have skipped bail. The chase comes full circle when he becomes the quarry of a vengeful psychopath (Tracey Walter, The Silence of the Lambs). The King of Cool’s multi-dimensional performance as Thorson, a man born in the wrong age, is counterpoint to the explosive action in The Hunter. Directed by Buzz Kulik (Warning Shot, Shamus) and featuring Eli Wallach (The Good, the Bad and the Ugly), Kathryn Harrold (Raw Deal), LeVar Burton (TV’s Star Trek: The Next Generation) and Ben Johnson (The Wild Bunch).

Hunter.jpg

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
Two more Paramount announcements this weekend on Facebook and Twitter. Both only on Blu-ray and both from Brand New 4K scans of the 35mm Original Camera Negatives.
I'm genuinely curious, if they are brand new 4k scans from the OCN, why not put them out in 4k? Even without an HDR grade, a la the Great Escape.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I'm genuinely curious, if they are brand new 4k scans from the OCN, why not put them out in 4k? Even without an HDR grade, a la the Great Escape.

Based on what the Insider has said in the past, sometimes they just don't think a title will sell well enough on UHD. They've been doing this for a good long while, so they probably have a system that works for them in making such determinations. Without knowing (yet) which titles he's talking about, it's hard to say whether missing a good bet or not.

They may not be able to secure the rights.

That, too.

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Because even SDR is much more expensive than regular 1080P HD from a 4K scan. Authoring is close to 7 or 8 times more expensive, replication 3 to 4 times more.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
If they are releasing them on Blu-rays they have the rights, no?

They might have the BD (and DVD) rights, but not the UHD rights. Studios can limit a license to a specific format. I believe that the Kino Insider had said with respect to one title (I forget which) that the studio would let them license it for BD, but not for UHD. Presumably, the studio wanted to reserve UHD for itself.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Saturday's Facebook Announcement:

Coming in 2023 on Blu-ray!

Brand New HD Master – From a 4K Scan of the 35mm Original Camera Negative

The Carpetbaggers (1964)
Starring George Peppard, Alan Ladd, Carroll Baker, Robert Cummings, Martha Hyer, Lew Ayres, Elizabeth Ashley, Martin Balsam, Ralph Taeger, Archie Moore, Leif Erickson, Arthur Franz, Audrey Totter, Tom Tully, Ann Doran, James B. Sikking, Joe Turkel & Charles Lane – Shot by Joseph MacDonald (The Sand Pebbles) – Music by Elmer Bernstein (The Magnificent Seven) – Screenplay by John Michael Hayes (Rear Window) – Based on a Novel by Harold Robbins (Where Love Has Gone) – Produced by Joseph E. Levine (Nevada Smith) – Directed by Edward Dmytryk (Murder, My Sweet, Raintree County).

1670083576910.png

Last edited:

uncledougie

Premium
Real Name
Doug
This is a prime example of trying to push the limits against the Hollywood censors and passed for “adult entertainment,” when in short order it became pretty tame by evolving standards toward the end of the decade. It’s overripe trash with actors trying their best to be cunning or decadent amid soap opera betrayals and financial treachery - and probably more fun wallowing in the excesses than more subtlety would’ve brought. I predict the new scan will look terrific and this will become another guilty pleasure crowding my shelves.

Last edited:

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
This is a prime example of trying to push the limits against the Hollywood censors and passed for “adult entertainment,” when in short order it became pretty tame by evolving standards toward the end of the decade. It’s overripe trash with actors trying their best to be cunning or decadent amid soap opera betrayals and financial treachery - and probably more fun wallowing in the excesses than more subtlety would’ve brought.
But in the future it will be how those decades will be judged ...

"the complete works of Jacqueline Susann, the novels of Harold Robbins… The Giants";)

1668497612470.png
:D!

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Saturday's Facebook Announcement:

Coming in 2023 on Blu-ray!

Brand New HD Master – From a 4K Scan of the 35mm Original Camera Negative

The Carpetbaggers (1964)
Starring George Peppard, Alan Ladd, Carroll Baker, Robert Cummings, Martha Hyer, Lew Ayres, Elizabeth Ashley, Martin Balsam, Ralph Taeger, Archie Moore, Leif Erickson, Arthur Franz, Audrey Totter, Tom Tully, Ann Doran, James B. Sikking, Joe Turkel & Charles Lane – Shot by Joseph MacDonald (The Sand Pebbles) – Music by Elmer Bernstein (The Magnificent Seven) – Screenplay by John Michael Hayes (Rear Window) – Based on a Novel by Harold Robbins (Where Love Has Gone) – Produced by Joseph E. Levine (Nevada Smith) – Directed by Edward Dmytryk (Murder, My Sweet, Raintree County).

View attachment 165169
Excellent news! A definite purchase for me. I hope that other Carroll Baker movies get a high quality release too, most of all Sylvia.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rodger89
Recent bookmarks