What's new

Kino-Lorber Insider Announcement Thread (Read Guidelines Post #3) (10 Viewers)

cadavra

Supporting Actor
Real Name
mike schlesinger
Thursday's Facebook Announcement:

Coming in 2023 on Blu-ray!

Brand NEW 2023 HD Master – From a NEW 4K Scan of the 35mm Original Camera Negative

The Big Bus (1976)
Starring Joseph Bologna, Stockard Channing, John Beck, Rene Auberjonois, Ned Beatty, Bob Dishy, José Ferrer, Ruth Gordon, Harold Gould, Larry Hagman, Sally Kellerman, Richard Mulligan, Lynn Redgrave, Stuart Margolin, Richard B. Shull, Mary Wilcox, Vic Tayback, Vito Scotti & Howard Hesseman – Shot by Harry Stradling Jr. (Bite the Bullet) – Music by David Shire (The Taking of Pelham One Two Three) – Written by Fred Freeman (Delirious) & Lawrence J. Cohen (Start the Revolution Without Me) – Directed by James Frawley (The Muppet Movie).

View attachment 163593

A delightful film with a superb cast (Murphy Dunne as the lounge singer!) that was a victim of bad timing: America wasn't ready yet for a parody of disaster movies. By the time AIRPLANE! came out, they were. The only flaw is the abrupt ending--as if the last two reels were lost and they just said, "Aw, screw it! Slap on an end title and have done with it."

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
A delightful film with a superb cast (Murphy Dunne as the lounge singer!) that was a victim of bad timing: America wasn't ready yet for a parody of disaster movies. By the time AIRPLANE! came out, they were. The only flaw is the abrupt ending--as if the last two reels were lost and they just said, "Aw, screw it! Slap on an end title and have done with it."
Oh, for some of us there are many, many flaws besides the ending. I saw it on its release with a full house - not a laugh to be found and half the audience bailed by the halfway point. I don't buy this "America wasn't ready" - they were more than ready, they just needed a funny film. Them's my two centimes, but glad others find it to be brilliant.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Friday's Facebook Announcement:

Coming in 2023 on Blu-ray!

Brand NEW 2023 HD Master – From a NEW 4K Scan of the 35mm Original Camera Negative

The Bridges at Toko-Ri (1954)
Starring William Holden, Grace Kelly, Fredric March, Mickey Rooney, Robert Strauss, Charles McGraw & Earl Holliman – Shot by Loyal Griggs (Shane) – Music by Lyn Murray (To Catch a Thief) – Screenplay by Valentine Davies (Miracle on 34th Street) – Based on a Novel by James A. Michener (Sayonara) – Produced by George Seaton (The Country Girl) – Directed by Mark Robson (Von Ryan Express).
Oscar Winner: Best Special Effects
Oscar Nominee: Best Editing (Alma Macrorie)

1669392079510.png

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Kino,

Many of us have been waiting on this title. Please, release this in widescreen ratio! The movie was filmed in the 1st quarter of 1954, and wasn't released until February, 1955. I believe the ratio should be up to 2:1, but if not, it's definitely shouldn't be 1.37 ratio.

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
Showing all 8 technical specifications
Runtime 1 hr 42 min (102 min)
Sound Mix Mono (Western Electric Recording)
Color Color
Aspect Ratio 1.37 : 1 (negative ratio)
1.85 : 1 (intended ratio)
Laboratory Technicolor, Hollywood (CA), USA (color)
Negative Format Eastman Color Negative Film 25T, Type 5248
35 mm
Cinematographic Process Spherical
Printed Film Format 35 mm

See also​

Full Cast and Crew | Release Dates | Official Sites | Company Credits | Filming & Production
Getting Started | Contributor Zone »

Contribute to This Page​

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Showing all 8 technical specifications
Runtime1 hr 42 min (102 min)
Sound MixMono (Western Electric Recording)
ColorColor
Aspect Ratio1.37 : 1 (negative ratio)
1.85 : 1 (intended ratio)
LaboratoryTechnicolor, Hollywood (CA), USA (color)
Negative FormatEastman Color Negative Film 25T, Type 5248
35 mm
Cinematographic ProcessSpherical
Printed Film Format35 mm

See also​

Full Cast and Crew | Release Dates | Official Sites | Company Credits | Filming & Production
Getting Started | Contributor Zone »

Contribute to This Page​

You might be right as I got my information from AFI's site that has some tech errors. However, IMDb isn't exactly a very accurate source of technical information.

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
For some reason, unknown to me, I had it in my mind that this was a VistaVision film, but I guess that’s not the case. I have actually never seen this film so I guess this is a good opportunity to remedy that.

Gerani53

Second Unit
Real Name
Gary Gerani
Kino,

Many of us have been waiting on this title. Please, release this in widescreen ratio! The movie was filmed in the 1st quarter of 1954, and wasn't released until February, 1955. I believe the ratio should be up to 2:1, but if not, it's definitely shouldn't be 1.37 ratio.
I believe the proper ratio is 1.66, just like it is for REAR WINDOW and other Paramount movies of 1954 prior to the arrival of VistaVision, with WHITE CHRISTMAS. The delayed release date might make it a 1.85, but I think 1.66 is probably right, because that's the shape the composition was designed for.

Last edited:

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Kino,

Since there's some dispute, I think we will include both ratios.

Gerani53

Second Unit
Real Name
Gary Gerani
The Imprint version of TOKO-RI was acceptable, but nothing special... an old 1.37 incarnation. The Kino release will be the one to have... If two aspect ratios are provided, I'd suggest a 1:66 (what it was composed for in '54) and 1.85 (apparently what it was ultimately released in, following Paramont's introduction of VistaVision).

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
The Imprint version of TOKO-RI was acceptable, but nothing special... an old 1.37 incarnation. The Kino release will be the one to have... If two aspect ratios are provided, I'd suggest a 1:66 (what it was composed for in '54) and 1.85 (apparently what it was ultimately released in, following Paramont's introduction of VistaVision).

Three ratios for VistaVision.
1669430513481.png

First line is 1.66 and the second is 1.85. So either one is fine.
1669430271250.png

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks