What's new

Kino-Lorber Insider Announcement Thread (Read Guidelines Post #3) (20 Viewers)

[email protected]

Supporting Actor
Saturday's Facebook Announcement:

Coming in 2023 on Blu-ray!

Brand NEW 2023 HD Master – From a New 2K Scan of the 35mm Fine Grain

It! The Terror from Beyond Space (1958)
Starring Marshall Thompson, Shirley Patterson & Dabbs Greer – Shot by Kenneth Peach (King Kong) – Written by Jerome Bixby (Fantastic Voyage) – Directed by Edward L. Cahn (The Four Skulls of Jonathan Drake).

View attachment 162932
Thanks again, KINO, for another perfect Saturday afternoon movie!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Sunday's Facebook Announcement:

Brand NEW 2023 HD Master – From a New 2K Scan of the 35mm InterPositive

After Dark, My Sweet (1990)
Starring Jason Patric, Rachel Ward & Bruce Dern – Shot by Mark Plummer (Two Moon Junction, Albino Alligator) – Music by Maurice Jarre (Doctor Zhivago, Witness) – Based on a Novel by Jim Thompson (The Killing, The Getaway) – Co-Written & Directed by James Foley (Glengarry Glen Ross, The Chamber).

1668960055119.png

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Sunday's Facebook Announcement:

Brand NEW 2023 HD Master – From a New 2K Scan of the 35mm InterPositive

After Dark, My Sweet (1990)
Starring Jason Patric, Rachel Ward & Bruce Dern – Shot by Mark Plummer (Two Moon Junction, Albino Alligator) – Music by Maurice Jarre (Doctor Zhivago, Witness) – Based on a Novel by Jim Thompson (The Killing, The Getaway) – Co-Written & Directed by James Foley (Glengarry Glen Ross, The Chamber).

View attachment 163061
Sounds interesting, sounds like the kind of movie I enjoy.

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Coming to DVD and Blu-ray January 17th from Kino Lorber!

Utama (2022)
Directed by Alejandro Loayza Grisi

In the arid Bolivian highlands, an elderly Quechua couple has been living a tranquil life for years. While he takes their small herd of llamas out to graze, she keeps house and walks for miles with the other local women to fetch precious water. When an uncommonly long drought threatens everything they know, Virginio and Sisa must decide whether to stay and maintain their traditional way of life or admit defeat and move in with family members in the city. Their dilemma is precipitated by the arrival of their grandson Clever, who comes to visit with news. The three of them must face, each in their own way, the effects of a changing environment, the importance of tradition, and the meaning of life itself. This visually jaw-dropping debut feature by photographer-turned-filmmaker Alejandro Loayza Grisi is lensed by award-winning cinematographer Barbara Alvarez (Lucrecia Martel’s The Headless Woman) and won the Grand Jury Prize (World Cinema Dramatic) at the Sundance Film Festival.

Special features:
*Behind-the-scenes Photo Gallery
*Theatrical trailer
*Spanish and Quechua with optional English subtitles

Utama_BR.jpg

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Coming to DVD and Blu-ray January 24 from Kino Lorber!

Brainwashed: Sex-Camera-Power (2022)
Directed by Nina Menkes

“If the camera is predatory, then the culture is
predatory.” – Iyabo Kwayana

In this eye-opening documentary, celebrated independent filmmaker Nina Menkes explores the sexual politics of cinematic shot design. Using clips from hundreds of movies we all know and love – from Metropolis to Vertigo to Phantom Thread – Menkes convincingly makes the argument that shot design is gendered. Brainwashed: Sex-Camera-Power illuminates the patriarchal narrative codes that hide within supposedly “classic” set-ups and camera angles, and demonstrates how women are frequently displayed as objects for the use, support, and pleasure of male subjects. Building on the essential work of Laura Mulvey and other feminist writers, Menkes shows how these not-so-subtle embedded messages affect and intersect with the twin epidemics of sexual abuse and assault, as well as employment discrimination against women, especially in the film industry. The film features interviews with an all-star cast of women and non-binary industry professionals including Julie Dash, Penelope Spheeris, Charlyne Yi, Joey Soloway, Catherine Hardwicke, Eliza Hittman, Maria Giese, and Rosanna Arquette. The result is an electrifying call-to-action that will fundamentally change the way you see, and watch, movies.

BONUS FEATURES:
*AUDIO COMMENTARY WITH DIRECTOR NINA MENKES AND CREATIVE PRODUCER/EDITOR CECILY RHETT
*DELETED SCENE: EDITOR NANCY RICHARDSON (TWILIGHT, LUCKIEST GIRL ALIVE) REVEALS SEXISM WITHIN THE EDITING WORLD
*ISOLATED EXCERPTS OF THE SCORE BY SHARON FARBER
*Q&A WITH NINA MENKES COURTESY OF DCTV
*THEATRICAL TRAILER
*English with optional English SDH subtitles

Brainwashed_BR.jpg

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Coming to Blu-ray January 31 from Kino Lorber and Raro Video!

A Violent Life (Una vita violenta, 1962)
Directed by Paolo Heusch and Brunello Rondi

Based on Pier Paolo Pasolini’s second novel. A Violent Life tells the story of a group of kids who live in one of the poorest and most disreputable neighborhoods in Rome. The story is set at the end of WWII. Thomas lives at the expense of others, like all his other companions, stealing and wasting time. But one day after a theft, Thomas gets arrested. When he comes out of prison he contracts tuberculosis, going through an inner struggle which changes his worldview. He begins to think about his future as a human being and vows to change his life. Hoping to become honest, Thomas gets engaged to the beautiful Irene and also decides to participate in political activity, joining the Communist Party. Then there is a sudden accident, and Thomas is faced with the most important challenge of his life.

BONUS FEATURES
*Interviews with director Luciano Emmer, film historian Stefania Parigi, and film critic Umberto Rondi
*Italian with optional English subtitles

AViolentLife_forsocial.jpg

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Coming November 15th!
https://www.kinolorber.com/product/the-diamond-wizard-3-d-blu-ray

The Diamond Wizard (1954)
• Newly Restored in 3-D by 3-D Film Archive
• Audio Commentary / Slideshow Section with Mike Ballew (11:41 / in 3-D & 2-D)
• Restoring THE DIAMOND WIZARD in 3-Dimensions (2:56 / In 3-D & 2-D)
• Includes the BD3D Polarized | Anaglyphic (Red/Cyan) 3-D with a Pair of 3-D Glasses | 2-D Versions
• Alternate Opening Credits (1:45 / 2-D)
• Theatrical Trailer (1:37 / 2-D)
• Limited Edition O-Card Slipcase
• Optional English Subtitles

B&W 83 Minutes 1.65:1 Not Rated
The only Golden Age 3-D feature photographed in Great Britain, The Diamond Wizard (also known as The Diamond) packs suspense and surprise into a supremely exciting film noir thriller. While in London trying to nab the crooks who stole a million dollars from a U.S. Treasury vault, American federal agent Joe Dennison (Dennis O’Keefe, T-Men, Raw Deal) joins Scotland Yard Inspector McClaren (Philip Friend, Buccaneer’s Girl, Spy Hunt) in his search for a missing atomic scientist. They discover that the key to solving both cases may rest with the scientist’s daughter (Margaret Sheridan, The Thing from Another World, I, the Jury) and her fascinating diamond. Co-Directed by star Dennis O’Keefe (Angela) and Montgomery Tully (Query).

View attachment 153432

$19.78 on eBay with free shipping.

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Coming to Blu-ray January 31st from Kino Classics in a three-disc set!

Georges Simenon's Maigret - Season 2 (1961-1962)
Starring Rupert Davies, Ewen Solon, Helen Shingler, Neville Jason

Long-awaited and unseen anywhere for decades, Maigret (1960-1963) is the definitive adaptation of Georges Simenon’s world famous novels. This BBC television production stars Rupert Davies as Commissaire Jules Maigret, the dogged French detective. Though Simenon’s books have been adapted many times, Davies’s celebrated, BAFTA-winning portrayal won the approval of Simenon himself, who stated: "At last, I have found the perfect Maigret!" This three disc-set includes all 13 episodes of Season 2, in which Maigret reckons with the "Death of a Butcher," “The Lost Sailor," and various other vexing cases that only the moody Maigret can solve. Maigret has been remastered in High Definition from original film elements and is featured here in its original fullscreen TV format.

Special features:
*Limited edition O-Card
*Episode Guide booklet
*Canadian Christmas Intros
*Trailer
*Optional English SDH subtitles

MaigretS2_forsocial.jpg

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Coming February 14th!

FRANCOIS TRUFFAUT COLLECTION (1970-1978)
• Theatrical Trailers (All 4 Films)
• In French with Optional English Subtitles

B&W/Color 401 Minutes 1.66:1 G|PG|NR|PG
This 2-disc Blu-ray collection presents four films by legendary filmmaker François Truffaut, one of the French New Wave’s brilliant architects. The Wild Child (1970) – In a most mature and aesthetic achievement, Truffaut creates an absorbing drama, delicate and unpredictable as life itself. Based on the true account of 18th-century doctor Jean-Marc-Gaspard Itard, the film follows the capture of a young boy who is discovered living like an animal in the forest. Truffaut himself gives a memorable performance as Itard, unyielding in his belief that the child, played with haunting precision by Jean-Pierre Cargol, can be transformed into a civilized being. Small Change (1976) – Truffaut weaves his love of kids and cinema seamlessly together in this tribute to the joys, yearnings, pains and wonders of childhood. The film presents a group of ten youngsters, boys and girls, whose adventures in the quaint village of Thiers illustrate—from the first baby bottle to the first kiss—the different stages of passage from early childhood to adolescence. Also known as Pocket Money, this kaleidoscopic coming-of-age tale finds Truffaut at his most charming and insightful. The Man Who Loved Women (1977) – This irresistibly sophisticated comedy paints the delirious portrait of saturnine satyr Bertrand Morane (Charles Denner), who worships the feminine spirit—the idea of woman. Truffaut neither condemns nor glorifies him, for what could be so worthy of a subject of obsession as women? The film is a splendid example of the auteur’s nimble way with stories of erotic love. Featuring screen goddesses Brigette Fossey, Nelly Borgeaud, Geneviève Fortanel, Nathalie Baye and Leslie Caron. The Green Room (1978) – In a most personal and rigorous film, Truffaut stars as Julien Davenne, a man who so loves the dead that he can no longer love the living. While building a shrine to his deceased wife, he meets Cecilia (Nathalie Baye), who is also in mourning. She falls in love with him, thereby giving him a last chance at resurrection. Also known as Vanishing Fiancéeand based on the writings of Henry James, this classic film is a somber, haunting parable of life and death—and the barrier of memory that stands between.

738329261825.jpg

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Coming February 21st on 4KUHD!
https://www.kinolorber.com/product/rawhead-rex-4kuhd

RAWHEAD REX (1986)

DISC 1 (4KUHD):

• Brand New HDR/Dolby Vision Master – From a New 4K Scan of the Original Camera Negative
• Audio Commentary with Director George Pavlou, Moderated by Author Stephen Thrower
• 5.1 Surround and Lossless 2.0 Audio
• Triple-Layered UHD100 Disc

DISC 2 (BLU-RAY):
• 2017 HD Restoration – From a 4K Scan of the Original Camera Negative
• Audio Commentary with Director George Pavlou, Moderated by Author Stephen Thrower
• CALL ME RAWHEAD: Interview with Actor Heinrich von Bünau (Rawhead Rex)
• GROWING PAINS – THE CHILDREN OF RAWHEAD: Interview with Actors Hugh O’Conor and Cora Venus Lunny
• WHAT THE DEVIL HATH WROUGHT: Interview with Actor Ronan Wilmot
• RAWK ‘N’ ROLL – THE REX SESSIONS: Interview with Composer Colin Towns
• RAWHEAD FX – A COCK AND BULL STORY: Interview with Crew Members Peter Mackenzie Litten, Gerry Johnston, Rosie Blackmore, John Schoonraad & Sean Corcoran
• RAWHEAD RISING: Interview with Artist Stephen R. Bissette
• RAWHEAD REX: Behind-the-Scenes and Original Art Image Gallery
• RAWHEAD REX: Restored Theatrical Trailer
• 5.1 Surround and 2.0 Lossless Audio
• Dual-Layered BD50 Disc

Color 89 Minutes 1.85:1 Unrated
He’s pure evil… pure power… pure terror!
RawHead Rex is a demon, alive for millennia, trapped in the depths of hell, and waiting for release. He is held by an ancient seal, imprisoned for centuries in a barren field near the hamlet of Rathmore, Ireland. In time, this gruesome legacy has been forgotten, dismissed as an odd pre-Christian myth until Tom Garron (Donal McCann) decides to plow the field his ancestors knew better than to disturb. The seal is broken and an unspeakable evil is unleashed - on a rampage of blood and lust. Howard Hallenbeck (David Dukes), an American historian on a working vacation with his family, discovers on the stained glass windows of a local church a series of scenes illustrating the reign of terror of RawHead Rex, but the one piece of glass depicting the defeat of the monster is missing. RawHead Rex is on the loose, and he is insatiable as Howard is desperately races against time for a way to stop the vicious monster. Directed by George Pavlou (Underworld) with a screenplay by horror legend Clive Barker (Hellraiser, Candyman, Nightbreed, Lord of Illusions).

RHR 4K.jpg

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
^I think there's an argument to be made that this movie's makeup and monster effects are best watched at VHS quality. ;)

It's kind of a shame, really, because it is a very well-written, well-acted, well-shot film. It is sufficiently charming enough in the beginning to hold the audience once it takes a sinister turn. There is so much to like, but the title creature is SO bad. It doesn't look low budget, it looks no budget. Like a paper-mache mask with two ping-pong balls and two LED lights.

The first time I watched this I couldn't believe what I was seeing and it drew me right out of the picture. I watched it again last month for the scary movie challenge, and I was able to look past the creature, and it really is quite good. I actually kind of felt bad for the actors, who probably signed on based upon the script and the artwork, and then got on set and seriously questioned what they had gotten themselves into.

I know this film has a cult following and I applaud Kino for releasing it in 4k. I'll probably pick it up eventually, but the thought of that monster in 4k glory just isn't enough of a draw for me to prioritize a purchase. If it only looked 1/8 as good as that cover art.

Gerani53

Second Unit
Real Name
Gary Gerani
RAWHEAD REX was our "competition" back in the day, another demon-monster with folk underpinnings. I was disappointed when I finally managed to see it. If Kino ever decides to do a 4K UHD of PUMPKINHEAD, preferably scanned from the original negative, I'm ready with an all-new commentary.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Thursday's Facebook Announcement:

Brand NEW 2023 HD Master – From a NEW 4K Scan of the 35mm Original Camera Negative

The Big Bus (1976)
Starring Joseph Bologna, Stockard Channing, John Beck, Rene Auberjonois, Ned Beatty, Bob Dishy, José Ferrer, Ruth Gordon, Harold Gould, Larry Hagman, Sally Kellerman, Richard Mulligan, Lynn Redgrave, Stuart Margolin, Richard B. Shull, Mary Wilcox, Vic Tayback, Vito Scotti & Howard Hesseman – Shot by Harry Stradling Jr. (Bite the Bullet) – Music by David Shire (The Taking of Pelham One Two Three) – Written by Fred Freeman (Delirious) & Lawrence J. Cohen (Start the Revolution Without Me) – Directed by James Frawley (The Muppet Movie).

1669318113303.png

Last edited:

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
^I think there's an argument to be made that this movie's makeup and monster effects are best watched at VHS quality. ;)
I'm inclined to say that there's an argument to be made that the movie shouldn't be watched at all, but that's just me. I saw it once on laserdisc back in the day, and that was two times too many. For those of you who like the movie, I'm (sincerely) happy for you.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Thursday's Facebook Announcement:

Brand NEW 2023 HD Master – From a NEW 4K Scan of the 35mm Original Camera Negative

The Big Bus (1976)
Starring Joseph Bologna, Stockard Channing, John Beck, Rene Auberjonois, Ned Beatty, Bob Dishy, José Ferrer, Ruth Gordon, Harold Gould, Larry Hagman, Sally Kellerman, Richard Mulligan, Lynn Redgrave, Stuart Margolin, Richard B. Shull, Mary Wilcox, Vic Tayback, Vito Scotti & Howard Hesseman – Shot by Harry Stradling Jr. (Bite the Bullet) – Music by David Shire (The Taking of Pelham One Two Three) – Written by Fred Freeman (Delirious) & Lawrence J. Cohen (Start the Revolution Without Me) – Directed by James Frawley (The Muppet Movie).

View attachment 163593
Very clever and amusing satire which I don’t think I’ve seen since it was first released.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks