What's new
  • Announcing New Ownership at Home Theater Forum. Learn More

Kino-Lorber Insider Announcement Thread (Read Guidelines Post #3) (39 Viewers)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
The Hallelujah Trail transfer looks very good and was around 2019 or 2020. Around the same time they did one for The Alamo, which looks worse, but was not available to us.

70mm elements require 8K scans, the potential cost of a real restoration would be around a million dollars, maybe even two. And no one in their right mind would take on such a project for titles like The Alamo and especially not The Hallelujah Trail.

No it won't. We have lots of loyal customers who believe in what we do. I'm sure the reviews will be great, especially compared to the previous release, but we don't need reviews to move product.
This is the cut version of Hallelujah? Or missing music?

uncledougie

Premium
Real Name
Doug
all home vid trnsfers have used a reel one stereo main title from the record albuim. Can we have the mono film track which is infinitely better?
Or is there anything resembling what would have been original 6-track stereo surround? It’s a shame when all this glorious music is relegated to best elements which happen to be mono (as with the reconstructed Khartoum soundtrack).

uncledougie

Premium
Real Name
Doug
This is the cut version of Hallelujah? Or missing music?
The laserdisc stated running time was 166 minutes (“2 HOURS 46 MINUTES”), including Overture, Intermission and Exit Music, but there were supposedly 2 versions released, one of which was the full roadshow timing, but only one double sleeve album was used with the identical information on both.

Last edited:

Bernard McNair

Second Unit
Real Name
Bernard McNair
I am grateful to Kino for releasing Trail in a state that I am sure will surpass the Olive release. Trail may not be a great film but it is great fun and the Elmer Bernstein score is one of his best.
I did see see it in the roadshow version in Sydney many years ago and have enjoyed it many time since.

PaulRossen

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul Rossen
all home vid trnsfers have used a reel one stereo main title from the record albuim. Can we have the mono film track which is infinitely better?
I certainly don’t know the status of the sound elements but I do recall how great everything soundEd at Loews Capital NYC back in the day. Thus, I surmise that the original elements are gone?

richardburton84

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jack
I certainly don’t know the status of the sound elements but I do recall how great everything soundEd at Loews Capital NYC back in the day. Thus, I surmise that the original elements are gone?

Can’t answer for the sound elements for the film as released, but I recall reading that the tapes for Bernstein’s score were irreparably damaged in a flood. Varese Sarabande accidentally stumbled upon them when they were actually searching for the tapes to his score for Hawaii, another film which needs to be redone.

PaulRossen

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Paul Rossen
Can’t answer for the sound elements for the film as released, but I recall reading that the tapes for Bernstein’s score were irreparably damaged in a flood. Varese Sarabande accidentally stumbled upon them when they were actually searching for the tapes to his score for Hawaii, another film which needs to be redone.
Yes, I believe that was the original recordings of the score…lost for all time. However, I wonder what happed to the original 6 tracks from the film…

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
The laserdisc stated running time was 166 minutes (“2 HOURS 46 MINUTES”), including Overture, Intermission and Exit Music, but there were supposedly 2 versions released, one of which was the full roadshow timing, but only one double sleeve album was used with the identical information on both.

The laserdisc was about 156 minutes. The version shown on HDNET is about 146 minutes. Add 10 minutes for Overture, Intermission and Entr'acte, and Exit Music for 156.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
70mm elements require 8K scans, the potential cost of a real restoration would be around a million dollars, maybe even two. And no one in their right mind would take on such a project for titles like The Alamo and especially not The Hallelujah Trail.
Some posts have been moved to another thread because any further discussion regarding the costs of 70mm elements and 8K scans should occur in this thread without derailing the Kino Announcement thread.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
This transfer was shown on some streaming platforms last year and the transfer is excellent!!!!!!!!!!
Yes, but as shown in the multiple threads discussing this release announcement, there are questions about more than just the quality of the video (such as aspect ratio, running time, and sound).

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Hopefully Kino is aware that many will be waiting for reviews before they order, so pre-orders are likely to be pretty limited.
Why would they do that when the excellent HD transfer can be seen on Amazon and a few other streaming sources or purchased as a digital download. It's already been reviewed as far superior to the poor quality Olive release that used a very old transfer. I'm sure Kino's version will look even better than the streaming version.

Ken Koc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
One could never purchase it, only stream it.
That version opened with the new MGM logo which was unveiled on March 2021.

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Coming to Blu-ray November 22nd from RaroVideo and Kino Lorber!

The Scent of the Night (1998) and One Hundred Steps (2000)
(Two separate releases)

The Scent of the Night (1998)
Directed by Claudio Caligari

The Scent of the Night (1998) is a provocative thriller in which a former policeman turns full-time criminal and goes on a downward spiral in 1990s Rome. Remo (Valerio Mastandrea) is a disgruntled cop who pads his income by raiding rich people’s houses with a group of thugs. Because of his hatred for discipline he is soon dismissed from the force, while continuing his criminal escapades full time…until he gets arrested. When he is released, he tries to live a normal life but the debts he has incurred keep pulling him back to the life of a robber.

Includes:
*Optional English subtitles

ScentoftheNight_forsocial.jpg

-------------------------------------
One Hundred Steps (2000)
Directed by Marco Tullio Giordana

One Hundred Steps (2000) tells the shocking story of Peppino Impastato (Luigi Lo Cascio), a young left-wing activist who vocally opposed the mafia in the 1970s and paid a brutal price. This was an era when almost nobody dared to speak about the mafia in Sicily, and several politicians maintained that it did not even exist. Impastato repeatedly denounced local mob boss Tano Badalamenti’s (Tony Sperandeo) criminal activities and the whole mafia system by broadcasting his ironically funny political pronouncements over a small local radio station. His passionate diatribes earn him a loyal audience, as well as the growing ire of the mob, whose irritation transforms into violent retribution. Nominated at the 2001 Golden Globes for Best Foreign Film.

Bonus feature:
*Audio commentary by writer and actor Andrea Purgatori
*Optional English subtitles

OneHundredSteps_forsocial.jpg

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Coming out on DVD and Blu-ray November 29th from Milestone Film and Kino Lorber!

Alma's Rainbow (1993)
Directed by Ayoka Chenzira
Special Edition two-disc set with ten short films by Ayoka Chenzira!

Pre-order: https://www.kinolorber.com/product/a...ainbow-blu-ray

Alma’s Rainbow is a coming-of-age comedy-drama about three Black women living in Brooklyn. Ayoka Chenzira’s feature film explores the life of teenager Rainbow Gold (Victoria Gabrielle Platt) who is entering womanhood and navigating conversations and experiences around standards of beauty, self-image, and the rights women have over their bodies. Rainbow attends a strict parochial school, studies dance, and is just becoming aware of boys. She lives with her strait-laced mother Alma Gold (Kim Weston-Moran), who runs a beauty parlor in the parlor of their home. When Alma’s free-spirited sister Ruby (Mizan Kirby) arrives from Paris after a 10-year absence, the sisters clash over what constitutes the “proper” direction Rainbow’s life should take. Alma has fooled herself into believing she has no need of male companionship and advises her daughter to follow her example. Ruby encourages both her niece and her sister to embrace life – and love – fully and joyfully. Alma’s Rainbow highlights a multi-layered Black women’s world where the characters live, love, and wrestle with what it means to exert and exercise their agency. Restoration by the Academy Film Archive, Film Foundation, and Milestone Films. Restoration supervised by Mark Toscano. Funding provided by The Film Foundation and Hobson Lucas Family Foundation.

SPECIAL FEATURES:

DISC 1
• Panel discussion after world premiere of 4K restoration at the Brooklyn Academy of Music
• Ayoka Chenzira on Alma’s Rainbow (oral history recorded by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences)
• Peggy Dillard Toone on Alma’s Rainbow
• Optional English SDH subtitles for the feature

DISC 2
• Short Films by Ayoka Chenzira: Syvilla: They Dance to Her Drum / Hairpiece: A Film for Nappy Headed People / The Lure and the Lore / Zajota and the Boogie Spirit / Pull Your Head to the Moon: Stories of Creole Women / Williamswood / MOTV (My Own TV) / Snowfire / In the Rivers of Mercy Angst / HERadventure

AlmasRainbow_BR.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
timwarner2022
Recent bookmarks