What's new

Kino-Lorber Insider Announcement Thread (Read Guidelines Post #3) (15 Viewers)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
True enough. Six years later. We don't know if Criterion will or won't do the same. My point is that everyone makes mistakes, or at least questionable decisions, once in a while, and they may (or may not) correct those down the line.

But we're straying from the topic, so I will say no more about this.
Hey, no retailer or studio is perfect! They're no different than you and I.:)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
This isn't the proper thread for discussing what may be coming from Kino in the future because then people will be making film suggestions. Some posts have been moved to the other thread. Any further posts will be deleted so don't waste your time posting them in this thread.

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
I'm also in for THE TATTERED DRESS. I first saw it at MOMA, in '68 or '69, as part of this series of B movies, mostly sci-fi peppered with some melodramas. The screenings was connected with an exhibition of British pop art--mostly collage---in the galleries upstairs. I think the artists used images from the movies that were programmed in their work. I have the catalogue floating around somewhere. For me, the films were a lot more interesting. Anyway, I saw THE TATTERED DRESS on the same day as THE FLY and CREATURE WITH THE ATOM BRAIN. There was a certain allure involved with seeing grindhouse fare in such posh surroundings. But THE TATTERED DRESS, in particular, amazed me. I've been waiting to see it again ever since.

I saw The Tattered Dress once, in 1957. Never forgot it though I obviously didn't quite understand it. But a child's mind is a trap.

I've also been waiting for a long time for The Tattered Dress. It's a good film with a very strong cast. I'm probably going to buy every one of these new box-sets!

I took these screen caps from Filmchest's DVD set of the syndicated TV series Deadline...evocative night time scenes at the Brooklyn Paramount Theater during the first run showing of The Tattered Dress, paired here with The Quiet Gun, probably March 1957. Big city admission prices at $1.15 general, 35 cents for kids...Check out the Marbled 'Hall of Stars' and the coming attractions banner for Fear Strikes Out...
Deadline 77.JPG

Deadline 72.JPG

Deadline 73.JPG

Deadline 74.JPG

Deadline 75.JPG

1660083235319.png

The Tattered Dress is a very good melodrama/noir hybrid in my book. Very slick and refined as one of the better examples of what Universal was aspiring to be in the Cinemascope era.

Love, love Kino-Lorber! A wealth of great films coming. I just received my latest order from their recent sale!

lark144

Screenwriter
Real Name
mark gross
I took these screen caps from Filmchest's DVD set of the syndicated TV series Deadline...evocative night time scenes at the Brooklyn Paramount Theater during the first run showing of The Tattered Dress, paired here with The Quiet Gun, probably March 1957. Big city admission prices at $1.15 general, 35 cents for kids...Check out the Marbled 'Hall of Stars' and the coming attractions banner for Fear Strikes Out...
View attachment 148202
View attachment 148198
View attachment 148199
View attachment 148200
View attachment 148201
View attachment 148203

The Tattered Dress is a very good melodrama/noir hybrid in my book. Very slick and refined as one of the better examples of what Universal was aspiring to be in the Cinemascope era.

Love, love Kino-Lorber! A wealth of great films coming. I just received my latest order from their recent sale!
Yup. I remember that lobby well. When I was a child, I was taken to see Lewis and Martin pictures there. One I recall in particular was LIVING IT UP--but no, not THE TATTERED DRESS. I was a little young for that. Afterwards, we would go shopping in Abraham and Strauss, and then cheesecake at Juniors, which made it all worthwhile.

And yes, the children's price was 35 cents. I remember it went up to 50 cents at my local theatre--not the Brooklyn Paramount--for a revival of KING KONG. I was outraged, but went anyway.

SeanSKA

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sean
My daughter took swimming lessons at the Brooklyn Paramount and had her ballet recitals there, too. (Not as the Paramount, of course, but in its long-standing incarnation as part of Long Island University.)
And to keep it movie related, in the early 90s Spike Lee hosted Saturday morning discussions on-stage at LIU- one of my greatest film memories was seeing Spike interviewing Martin Scorsese on his life and career

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
I have never seen *any* of these films, so having 12 "new to me" classic films makes all 4 Kino Film Noir sets must-buys.
I have seen very few of these myself. Looking forward to all of them. Universal is my favourite studio for films from the 30s through 50s. Kino keeps doing an excellent job on these releases. Hoping for more to come.

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
View attachment 148202
View attachment 148198
View attachment 148199
View attachment 148200
View attachment 148201
View attachment 148203

Jeanne Crain was good too in "Man Without A Star" with Kirk Douglas. Gail Russell is in this also, although her career was at a downward spiral by this point. Terrible shame how tragically her life ended.

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Coming October 18th from Scorpion Releasing & Kino Lorber!
https://www.kinolorber.com/product/island-of-the-blue-dolphins-blu-ray

ISLAND OF THE BLUE DOLPHINS (1964)
• Brand New 2K Master
• Theatrical Trailer
• Optional English Subtitles

Color 93 Minutes 1.85:1 Not Rated
Based on Scott O’Dell’s beloved children’s classic, Island of the Blue Dolphins is the heartwarming adventure of a 19th-century Native American girl who becomes stranded on a remote island off the California coast. Karana (Golden Globe winner Celia Kaye) is forced to flee the island of her birth with the rest of her tribe when hunters threaten the area. Realizing her young brother has been left behind, she jumps ship and swims back to the island, where the two attempt to survive in solitude against staggering odds. This incredible true story features breathtaking cinematography and a fine cast that includes Hollywood great George Kennedy (Cool Hand Luke, Thunderbolt and Lightfoot, Death Ship, The Naked Gun). Produced by Robert B. Radnitz (Sounder, Where the Lilies Bloom) and directed by James B. Clark (A Dog of Flanders, Misty, Flipper), Island of the Blue Dolphins is an inspirational experience for the family to enjoy together over and over again.

738329260682.jpg

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I was wondering if this title was still on since I remember it being listed as a 2022 title late last year. Glad I can finally retire a lousy boot version!

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Coming October 25th!
https://www.kinolorber.com/product/the-rainmaker-blu-ray

THE RAINMAKER (1956)
• Remastered in HD by Paramount Pictures – From a 6K Scan of the 35mm VistaVision Original Camera Negative
• NEW Audio Commentary by Film Historian and Writer Julie Kirgo
• Theatrical Trailer

Color 121 Minutes 1.85:1 Not Rated
Under the spell of a wandering charlatan named Starbuck, a lonely ranch girl blossoms into full womanhood in The Rainmaker. Katharine Hepburn (The Lion in Winter) garnered an Oscar nomination as the “believably plain yet magnificently beautiful” tomboy rancher, with Burt Lancaster (Elmer Gantry) brilliantly cast in the role of the smooth-talking con man who sells his rainmaking “powers” to unsuspecting, drought-ridden western towns. Writer N. Richard Nash (Porgy and Bess) meticulously enlarges his Broadway play to the big screen without losing any of the earthy, gut-wrenching emotions or the sheer, hilarious fun. The result is a genuinely appealing and beautifully executed romance directed by Joseph Anthony (The Matchmaker). Featuring Wendell Corey (I Walk Alone), Lloyd Bridges (Canyon Passage), Earl Holliman (Giant), Cameron Prud’Homme (Back from Eternity) and Wallace Ford (Flesh and Fury).

RAINMAKER_flat.jpg

Justin Ray

Second Unit
Real Name
Justin Ray
Coming October 25th!

THE RAINMAKER (1956)
• Remastered in HD by Paramount Pictures – From a 6K Scan of the 35mm VistaVision Original Camera Negative
• Theatrical Trailer

Under the spell of a wandering charlatan named Starbuck, a lonely ranch girl blossoms into full womanhood in The Rainmaker. Katharine Hepburn (The Lion in Winter) garnered an Oscar nomination as the “believably plain yet magnificently beautiful” tomboy rancher, with Burt Lancaster (Elmer Gantry) brilliantly cast in the role of the smooth-talking con man who sells his rainmaking “powers” to unsuspecting, drought-ridden western towns. Writer N. Richard Nash (Porgy and Bess) meticulously enlarges his Broadway play to the big screen without losing any of the earthy, gut-wrenching emotions or the sheer, hilarious fun. The result is a genuinely appealing and beautifully executed romance directed by Joseph Anthony (The Matchmaker). Featuring Wendell Corey (I Walk Alone), Lloyd Bridges (Canyon Passage), Earl Holliman (Giant), Cameron Prud’Homme (Back from Eternity) and Wallace Ford (Flesh and Fury).

View attachment 148232
Day 1 purchase! More Hepburn and Lancaster on blu ray is always welcome :) I purchased the Australian blu ray, and I just know this is going to look even better! Thank you, Kino!

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Coming October 25th!

THE RAINMAKER (1956)
• Theatrical Trailer

View attachment 148232

This would make a great (if lengthy) double-feature with ELMER GANTRY!

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Coming October 25th!

THE RAINMAKER (1956)
• Theatrical Trailer

View attachment 148232
"From a 6K Scan of the 35mm VistaVision Original Camera Negative" - this is going to make a lot of Vista Vision fans very happy!

Capt D McMars

Bernuli Tech Vet
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Doc Sigmier
I have vague memories of watching Island of the Blue Dolphins in either 4th or 5th grade at school. I'm pretty sure this is the right movie. I'll definitely have to check it out!
See if its on Amazon Prime, then if its the same movie make your call.This way it might save you some bucks?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrossAtlantic
Recent bookmarks