What's new

Kino-Lorber Insider Announcement Thread (Read Guidelines Post #3) (13 Viewers)

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Coming March 29th from Code Red!
Distributed by Kino Lorber!

Screams of a Winter Night (1979)

• 2K SCAN of the UNCUT Director’s Edition
• Original Theatrical Cut
• Interview with Star Gil Glasgow
• Theatrical Trailer
• Limited Edition O-Card Slipcase
• Optional English Subtitles (Both Cuts)

Color 119/91 Minutes 1.78:1 Rated PG
A group of college students are spending a weekend away at a remote cabin. To pass the time, they decide to tell scary stories to one another. The first story focuses on a couple being terrorized by a Bigfoot-like creature while in the woods. The second story follows a group of fraternity brothers who spend the night in an abandoned hospital reputed to be haunted, while the third story concerns a young woman who begins to lose her grip on reality after experiencing an attempted rape. After telling their stories, they discuss an alleged wind spirit who haunts the lake near the cabin in which they are staying which becomes the most terrifying story of them all. Now watch this film from a 2K scan of the original 16mm A/B roll camera negative, that includes the legendary thought-to-be-lost fourth story involving a creepy tree witch!

738329258245.jpg

Last edited:

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Coming March 29th!
https://www.kinolorber.com/product/shakedown-blu-ray

Shakedown (1950)
• Brand New 2K Master
• NEW Audio Commentary by Professor and Film Scholar Jason A. Ney
• Trailers
• Optional English Subtitles

B&W 80 Minutes 1.37:1 Not Rated
His Camera Was More Deadly Than a Gangster’s Gun!
From Joseph Pevney, the acclaimed director of Because of You, Six Bridges to Cross, Foxfire, Female on the Beach and The Midnight Story, comes this thrilling tale of crime and celluloid. Two-bit press photographer Jack Early (Howard Duff, Woman in Hiding) is sent to snap a shot of notorious racketeer Nick Palmer (Brian Donlevy, The Great McGinty), who takes the unscrupulous shutterbug under his wing. Jack decides to bite the hand that feeds him and sets Nick and another crime boss (Lawrence Tierney, Prizzi’s Honor) against one another. All the while, he seduces—and manipulates—newspaperwoman Ellen Bennett (Peggy Dow, The Sleeping City) and Nick’s moll Nita (Anne Vernon, The Umbrellas of Cherbourg). Eventually, Jack must pay for his wicked ways, in this hard-hitting, double-crossing film noir with shadowy black-and-white photography by Irving Glassberg (Larceny).

738329258221.jpg

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I don't recall ever seeing Shakedown but from that synopsis, it sounds like my kind of movie! I'm very interested!

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Coming March 22nd!
https://www.kinolorber.com/product/blue-skies-blu-ray

Blue Skies (1946)
• Brand New 2K Master & Newly Remastered Audio
• NEW Audio Commentary by Film Critic and Author Simon Abrams
• Trailers

Color 104 Minutes 1.37:1 Not Rated
Screen legends and Holiday Inn co-stars Bing Crosby (The Emperor Waltz) and Fred Astaire (Daddy Long Legs) reunite for another dazzling Irving Berlin musical spectacular, Blue Skies. Dancing star Jed Potter (Astaire) and singer/nightclub owner Johnny Adams (Crosby) are both in love with songstress Mary O’Hara (Joan Caulfield, Larceny). She marries Johnny but his passion for buying and selling nightclubs drives them apart. So Jed steps in, hoping to win Mary’s heart—until fate steps in and changes the lives of all three. Wonderfully directed by the versatile Stuart Heisler (Among the Living, Beachhead) and featuring thirty Irving Berlin songs including the showstopper “Puttin’ on the Ritz,” Blue Skies remains one of the all-time great musicals!

View attachment 124746
Now ya talking! https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...h?q=puttin+on+the+ritz+blue+skies&FORM=HDRSC3

Last edited:

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Screams of a Winter Night sounds interesting, though the PG rating makes me wonder how scary it can really be. Unless the added unrated footage adds something.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
WOW!!!

That was freaking incredible!! I am a type of person who, when they hear a sound / see a picture, and know the sync is off, it's incredibly bothersome. That's why I don't care for tap dancing in movies, because the sounds of the tapping never match what the actor is tapping. However, I appreciate great dancing, and Fred's dance in this clip is INSANE! So freaking great. Especially the how he twirls his cane... blew my mind! And how he picks it up without touching it... it must be wires, but then he walks away with it and... camera trickery at it's finest!

I love this. Thank you for sharing!

RobertMG

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
WOW!!!

That was freaking incredible!! I am a type of person who, when they hear a sound / see a picture, and know the sync is off, it's incredibly bothersome. That's why I don't care for tap dancing in movies, because the sounds of the tapping never match what the actor is tapping. However, I appreciate great dancing, and Fred's dance in this clip is INSANE! So freaking great. Especially the how he twirls his cane... blew my mind! And how he picks it up without touching it... it must be wires, but then he walks away with it and... camera trickery at it's finest!

I love this. Thank you for sharing!
My pleasure! A few years ago I became friends with Charles Fitzsimmons (Maureen O'Hara's brother) who at the time was the head of The Producer's Guild Of America (he was also acting as her agent at the time) when I was working on my first book. I got to ask him about the Hollywood legends he had known I asked him about The Duke, Gene Kelly John Ford etc and then about Fred Astaire and his answer was "He was a prince, one of the best people I have ever known" If you ever have seen interviews with Mr. Astaire he never really was comfortable with the level of respect and love people showed him he always was very humble. He appreciated peoples praise but always just thought of himself as a hoofer. Debbie Reynolds told a story where she was crying because she felt she was not learning the dance steps for Singin' In The Rain and a man walked by he was hidden though from view and he asked "why are u crying young lady?" After she told him she was depressed about her dancing and afraid things were going bad. He reached out to her - she then realized it was Astaire, he said "You have to rehearse do not give up it is hard work you can do it, come watch me rehearse." She said he was known to have only Hermes Pan and a pianist in the rehearsal hall no one else thats how private he was. She went with him - he also had a cane that day and she said he got frustrated, threw the cane for two hours and he said to her "you see how hard it is but do not give up." Astaire was one of a kind!

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
My pleasure! A few years ago I became friends with Charles Fitzsimmons (Maureen O'Hara's brother) who at the time was the head of The Producer's Guild Of America (he was also acting as her agent at the time) when I was working on my first book. I got to ask him about the Hollywood legends he had known I asked him about The Duke, Gene Kelly John Ford etc and then about Fred Astaire and his answer was "He was a prince, one of the best people I have ever known" If you ever have seen interviews with Mr. Astaire he never really was comfortable with the level of respect and love people showed him he always was very humble. He appreciated peoples praise but always just thought of himself as a hoofer. Debbie Reynolds told a story where she was crying because she felt she was not learning the dance steps for Singin' In The Rain and a man walked by he was hidden though from view and he asked "why are u crying young lady?" After she told him she was depressed about her dancing and afraid things were going bad. He reached out to her - she then realized it was Astaire, he said "You have to rehearse do not give up it is hard work you can do it, come watch me rehearse." She said he was known to have only Hermes Pan and a pianist in the rehearsal hall no one else thats how private he was. She went with him - he also had a cane that day and she said he got frustrated, threw the cane for two hours and he said to her "you see how hard it is but do not give up." Astaire was one of a kind!

Thanks for posting that one, too!

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Saturday's Facebook Announcement:

Coming Soon on Blu-ray!

2022 4K Restoration by Universal Pictures!

By Candlelight (1933)
Starring Elissa Landi & Paul Lukas – Shot by John J. Mescall (The Bride of Frankenstein) – Directed by James Whale (Frankenstein, The Old Dark House, The Kiss Before the Mirror, The Invisible Man).

1642262633575.png

DonB34

Agent
Real Name
Donald

Coming Soon on Blu-ray!

By Candlelight (1933)
Starring Elissa Landi & Paul Lukas – Shot by John J. Mescall (The Bride of Frankenstein) – Directed by James Whale (Frankenstein, The Old Dark House, The Kiss Before the Mirror, The Invisible Man).

View attachment 125040
Awesome! I would love to see the James Whale directed "Remember Last Night?" also. A funny comedy mystery with Robert Young.

Bert Greene

Screenwriter
"By Candlelight" is a bit of a fluff, but pretty amusing at times. Especially the scene when servant Lukas' master comes home to find him trying to emulate his own rakish strategy. Love Elissa Landi. If Kino is on a Whale kick, I'd also hope "Impatient Maiden" is considered as well. It's a minor quickie that the director did, but I have an odd affection for it. Haven't seen "Remember Last Night?" in over thirty years (and my memory of it too dim). Never seen "One More River."

cadavra

Supporting Actor
Real Name
mike schlesinger

Coming Soon on Blu-ray!

By Candlelight (1933)

View attachment 125040

A lovely bit of fluff (despite a somewhat stiff performance by Lukas) and well worth owning. Little-known fact: five years later, Cole Porter turned it into a musical, "You Never Know," one of his few flops--though it did spawn one hit song, "At Long Last Love" (itself the title of another notorious flop). Semi-amusing story: I saw an off-Broadway revival a few years ago and within 15 minutes realized it was based on "Candlelight." I asked the director about this at intermission and he told me I was the first person who'd noticed!

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
Coming March 29th!
https://www.kinolorber.com/product/shakedown-blu-ray

Shakedown (1950)
• Brand New 2K Master
• NEW Audio Commentary by Professor and Film Scholar Jason A. Ney
• Trailers

B&W 80 Minutes 1.37:1 Not Rated
His Camera Was More Deadly Than a Gangster’s Gun!
From Joseph Pevney, the acclaimed director of Because of You, Six Bridges to Cross, Foxfire, Female on the Beach and The Midnight Story, comes this thrilling tale of crime and celluloid. Two-bit press photographer Jack Early (Howard Duff, Woman in Hiding) is sent to snap a shot of notorious racketeer Nick Palmer (Brian Donlevy, The Great McGinty), who takes the unscrupulous shutterbug under his wing. Jack decides to bite the hand that feeds him and sets Nick and another crime boss (Lawrence Tierney, Prizzi’s Honor) against one another. All the while, he seduces—and manipulates—newspaperwoman Ellen Bennett (Peggy Dow, The Sleeping City) and Nick’s moll Nita (Anne Vernon, The Umbrellas of Cherbourg). Eventually, Jack must pay for his wicked ways, in this hard-hitting, double-crossing film noir with shadowy black-and-white photography by Irving Glassberg (Larceny).

View attachment 124814
Another never released title from Universal. Thanks, Kino!

timk1041

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy

Coming Soon on Blu-ray!

By Candlelight (1933)

View attachment 125040
And another never released goodie! Thanks, Kino!

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
A lovely bit of fluff (despite a somewhat stiff performance by Lukas) and well worth owning. Little-known fact: five years later, Cole Porter turned it into a musical, "You Never Know," one of his few flops--though it did spawn one hit song, "At Long Last Love" (itself the title of another notorious flop). Semi-amusing story: I saw an off-Broadway revival a few years ago and within 15 minutes realized it was based on "Candlelight." I asked the director about this at intermission and he told me I was the first person who'd noticed!
Cole Porter also wrote a song called By Candlelight for this show. I have a recording of it by Bobby Short. At Long Last Love was introduced by Clifton Webb! It became a "standard" when Frank Sinatra included it in his 1956 album A Swingin' Affair.

Last edited:

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Sunday's Facebook Announcement:

Coming Soon on Blu-ray!

Grand Slam (1967)
Starring Janet Leigh, Edward G. Robinson, Klaus Kinski, Adolfo Celi, Robert Hoffman & Riccardo Cucciolla – Shot by Antonio Macasoli (Cannon for Cordoba) – Music by Ennio Morricone (A Fistful of Dollars) – Directed by Giuliano Montaldo (Machine Gun McCain, Sacco & Vanzetti).

1642350082495.png

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Sunday's Facebook Announcement:

Coming Soon on Blu-ray!

Grand Slam (1967)
Starring Janet Leigh, Edward G. Robinson, Klaus Kinski, Adolfo Celi, Robert Hoffman & Riccardo Cucciolla – Shot by Antonio Macasoli (Cannon for Cordoba) – Music by Ennio Morricone (A Fistful of Dollars) – Directed by Giuliano Montaldo (Machine Gun McCain, Sacco & Vanzetti).

View attachment 125130
A jewel (no pun intended) of a heist film. If you've never seen it, you're in for a treat.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks