What's new

Kino-Lorber Insider Announcement Thread (Read Guidelines Post #3) (7 Viewers)

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Coming January 11th on 4KUHD!

The Great Escape (1963)

4KUHD DISC 1:

• NEW Audio Commentary by Filmmaker/Historian Steve Mitchell and Combat Films: American Realism Author Steven Jay Rubin
• Audio Commentary with Director John Sturges, Actors James Garner, James Coburn, Donald Pleasence, David McCallum, Jud Taylor and Many other Crew Members – Moderated by Steven Jay Rubin
• 5.1 Surround & Original 2.0 Mono
• Optional English Subtitles
• UHD 100 Triple Layer Disc

BLU-RAY DISC 2:
• Return to THE GREAT ESCAPE: Making of the Classic with the Cast and Crew (24:09)
• THE GREAT ESCAPE: Bringing Fact to Fiction – Narrated by Burt Reynolds (12:21)
• THE GREAT ESCAPE: Preparations for Freedom – Narrated by Burt Reynolds (19:50)
• THE GREAT ESCAPE: The Flight to Freedom – Narrated by Burt Reynolds (9:22)
• THE GREAT ESCAPE: A Standing Ovation – Narrated by Burt Reynolds (5:58)
• The Real Virgil Hilts: A Man Called Jones – Narrated by James Coburn (25:01)
• THE GREAT ESCAPE: The Untold Story – Documentary by Steven Clarke (50:47)
• THE GREAT ESCAPE: The Untold Story – Additional Interviews (9:35)
• Theatrical Trailer (2:42)

Color 172 Minutes 2.35:1 Not Rated
Screen legend Steve McQueen (Bullitt) slams his motorcycle into high gear and leads the way in this action-packed classic about a group of Allied POWs who attempt one of the largest and most daring breakouts in history. A masterful collaboration between director John Sturges (Bad Day at Black Rock), screenwriters James Clavell (The Satan Bug) and W.R. Burnett (Little Caesar), and composer Elmer Bernstein (The Magnificent Seven), The Great Escape is one of the most ingenious and suspenseful adventure films of all time! As World War II rages on, the Germans open Stalag Luft III, a maximum security prisoner-of-war camp, designed to hold even the craftiest escape artists. In doing so, however, the Nazis unwittingly assemble the finest escape team in military history. Together, under the guidance of the brilliant Bartlett (Richard Attenborough, Brighton Rock), the resourceful Hendley (James Garner, Support Your Local Sheriff) and the steely, determined Hilts (McQueen), the men plot, scheme and dig their way to freedom…at any cost! Charles Bronson (Breakheart Pass), James Coburn (A Fistful of Dynamite), Donald Pleasence (The Black Windmill), James Donald (The Bridge on the River Kwai) and David McCallum (Mosquito Squadron) fill out the iconic cast of this spectacular, true-life blockbuster. The Great Escape received a 1964 Academy Award nomination for Best Film Editing (Ferris Webster, The Manchurian Candidate) and a Golden Globe nomination for Best Motion Picture—Drama.

738329257361.jpg

Last edited:

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Kino released specs on the upcoming 4K Great Escape. Previously they said it was a 4K only release (which makes sense as Criterion is currently licensed for the Blu-ray, but the cover art on the slip says 4K Ultra HD + Blu-ray. I guess the extras are all on a Separate BD disc without the actual movie, but I think the banner on the slipcover could be misleading.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
Kino released specs on the upcoming 4K Great Escape. Previously they said it was a 4K only release (which makes sense as Criterion is currently licensed for the Blu-ray, but the cover art on the slip says 4K Ultra HD + Blu-ray. I guess the extras are all on a Separate BD disc without the actual movie, but I think the banner on the slipcover could be misleading.
Yes, that could be confusing to some people who are not paying attention to the actual details.

I'm still a little disappointed that no HDR on this 4K/UHD release, but I'm very happy that Steve Mitchell and Steven Jay Rubin are doing a new audio commentary on the 4K disc as those two guys are must listens for me, particularly, involving "War" films.

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
I believe all of their other 4K discs have included a blu-ray version, as well. Maybe they meant there won't be a stand-alone blu-ray release.

Yeoman007

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Rick
Is • UHD 100 Triple Layer Disc something new?
Not really new. 4K UHD discs can be dual-layer 66 GB capacity or triple-layer 100 GB capacity discs. The difference between the two is like the difference between single-layer Blu-ray discs (BD-25) and dual-layer Blu-ray discs (BD-50). The extra layer in the BD-50 and the UHD-100 allows more room for a higher bit-rate recording, longer movie, or more extras such as special features.

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
The Blu-ray disc only includes the extras, not the feature.

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Coming January 4th!

CHINA (1943)
• NEW Audio Commentary by Film Historian Eddy Von Mueller
• Theatrical Trailer

B&W 79 Minutes 1.37:1 Not Rated
From John Farrow, the acclaimed director of Wake Island, Calcutta, The Big Clock, Night Has a Thousand Eyes and Alias Nick Beal, comes this explosive wartime epic starring Loretta Young (The Stranger, The Farmer’s Daughter) and Alan Ladd (O.S.S., This Gun for Hire). Ladd plays an American gasoline salesman in 1941 China who supplies his wares to the highest bidder—in this case, the enemy Japanese. His unbiased business philosophy is tested on a trip to Shanghai when he meets an American schoolteacher (Young) and her Chinese students who tell him of Japanese cruelty. In a surprise show of fierce allegiance, he joins a band of Chinese guerrillas on a daring heist. Co-starring William Bendix (Lifeboat) and featuring masterful cinematography by Leo Tover (Hold Back the Dawn), this action-packed tale carried a Hollywood record of using seventy pounds of precious, rationed gunpowder.

738329257293.jpg

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Is • UHD 100 Triple Layer Disc something new?

It is for me.:)
BD-100s were announced concurrently with the UHD 4K BD format, but much like BD-50s back in the day, not widely used until the format gained some traction. Some early UHD 4K players don't play nicely with BD-100s.

RobertMG

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
Coming January 4th!

CHINA (1943)
• Theatrical Trailer

From John Farrow, the acclaimed director of Wake Island, Calcutta, The Big Clock, Night Has a Thousand Eyes and Alias Nick Beal, comes this explosive wartime epic starring Loretta Young (The Stranger, The Farmer’s Daughter) and Alan Ladd (O.S.S., This Gun for Hire). Ladd plays an American gasoline salesman in 1941 China who supplies his wares to the highest bidder—in this case, the enemy Japanese. His unbiased business philosophy is tested on a trip to Shanghai when he meets an American schoolteacher (Young) and her Chinese students who tell him of Japanese cruelty. In a surprise show of fierce allegiance, he joins a band of Chinese guerrillas on a daring heist. Co-starring William Bendix (Lifeboat) and featuring masterful cinematography by Leo Tover (Hold Back the Dawn), this action-packed tale carried a Hollywood record of using seventy pounds of precious, rationed gunpowder.

View attachment 117300
A Ladd I never heard of and with Loretta Young too - well I am IN! Also first review of KINO's The Accused. Sounds like a must have! http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film10/blu-ray_review_158/the_accused_blu-ray.htm

Last edited:

t1g3r5fan

Reviewer
Real Name
Mychal Bowden
Coming January 4th!

CHINA (1943)
• Theatrical Trailer

View attachment 117300
Great! Looks like I can retire my MOD DVD of the movie.

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Coming to DVD and Blu-ray January 4th from Cohen Media Group and Kino Lorber!

Only the Animals
Directed by Dominik Moll
Starring Valeria Bruni Tedeschi, Denis Ménochet, Laure Calamy, Damien Bonnard

Award-winning director Dominik Moll (With A Friend Like Harry) returns with another thriller exploring our darker desires. Two depressed farmers, an unfaithful wife, a lovelorn waitress and an African con artist are drawn together in a mystery surrounding the disappearance of Valeria Bruni Tedeschi’s glamorous Evelyne Ducat. The action switches between international locations as the links between the characters are gradually revealed. Stylishly shot and elegantly structured, Only the Animals finds Moll at the height of his storytelling powers and working with an excellent cast, whose characters’ motivations call into question the contrast between our
public and private lives.

Includes:
*English Subtitles
*Trailers

OnlyTheAnimals_BR.jpg

Last edited:

TheSteig

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
Over at the other forum KL said he would confirm and deny Universal titles from the 30s to the 60s that anyone asked
Can we do that here too ?? :)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
SO where can I ask if they are ever doing Leisen's Midnight (1939)?
The Kino Insider answered such questions in the following thread:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eshotwell
Recent bookmarks