What's new

Kino-Lorber Insider Announcement Thread (Read Guidelines Post #3) (8 Viewers)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
Pretty amazing that Criterion gets the remastered BD release and Kino, of all companies, gets the 4k.

What a missed opportunity for Criterion.

However, kudos to Kino. This will be my first 4k purchase from them.
Something tells me this might be one of Kino's biggest sellers among their 4K/UHD releases.

moviepas

Supporting Actor
Kino only has a deal for the Hopes now owned by Universal. FOYS is still owned by Paramount.
Thanks for that. It was a Hope Enterprises film. I note that it was released in Sydney/Australia three weeks before the LA release in June 1955 and 28 days before the NYC opening. I saw it in the Paramount leased theater in an inner Melbourne seaside suburb across from our Luna Park in 1955 as a boy of 6. Both still there despite fires on both sites. Columbia had the TV rights to Hope Enterprises for a period some years back. I will keep hoping. Paramount still has a number films from the 1950s I am interested in owing a Blu Ray of.

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
I stand corrected. I know Hope took back many of his self-produced titles, but didn't believe FOYS was one of them. So yes, it's still Hope Enterprises with some TV rights at Columbia. Either way, it's still not Kino's to release.
The Seven Little Foys is with Fremantle Media. We previously released The Lemon Drop Kid, My Favorite Brunette, Paris Holiday, Road to Bali, Road to Rio and Son of Paleface through them. We were planning to release a couple of others, but could not locate the needed film elements.

RobertMG

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert M. Grippo
The Seven Little Foys is with Fremantle Media. We previously released The Lemon Drop Kid, My Favorite Brunette, Paris Holiday, Road to Bali, Road to Rio and Son of Paleface through them. We were planning to release a couple of others, but could not locate the needed film elements.
Surprised Hope Enterprises wouldn't have them.

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
Sunday's Facebook Announcement:

Coming January 2022 on 4KUHD!

Fully Restored UHD SDR Master by MGM – Color Corrected in 2020

The Great Escape (1963)
Starring Steve McQueen, James Garner, Charles Bronson, James Coburn, Richard Attenborough, Donald Pleasence, James Donald & David McCallum – Shot by Daniel L. Fapp (West Side Story) – Music by Elmer Bernstein (The Magnificent Seven) – Screenplay by James Clavell (The Satan Bug) & W.R. Burnett (Wake Island) – Based on a Book by Paul Brickhill (The Dam Busters) – Directed by John Sturges (Bad Day at Black Rock).
Oscar Nominee: Best Editing (Ferris Webster, The Manchurian Candidate)

245994632_4525056720884533_7617251798179164847_n.jpg
Great News !! :D :emoji_hearts: It !
A GREAT ESCAPE.jpg

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
The inclusion of color correction is enough for me...I have always felt that video iterations of this (one of my favorite films of the 60's), including the Criterion Blu-ray, had weak and inconsistent color. Great news.
The Criterion Blu-ray came out in May, 2020 so I'm not sure the color correction happened after that BD release.

Billy Batson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
The inclusion of color correction is enough for me...I have always felt that video iterations of this (one of my favorite films of the 60's), including the Criterion Blu-ray, had weak and inconsistent color. Great news.
I don't quite understand. I thought that, "color corrected in 2020" meant the correction for the Criterion release, I mean didn't Criterion/MGM go to a lot of trouble to get the colour right (including checking a print owned by Quintin Tarantino), basically, to get away from MGM's too cold colour grading on the first Blu-ray release. The image is a bit inconsistent owing to the amount of dupes in the film. Or am I wrong, did Kino (or whoever) go through the film & give the colour a few tweaks?

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
I don't quite understand. I thought that, "color corrected in 2020" meant the correction for the Criterion release, I mean didn't Criterion/MGM go to a lot of trouble to get the colour right (including checking a print owned by Quintin Tarantino). The image is a bit inconsistent owing to the amount of dupes in the film. Or am I wrong, did Kino (or whoever) go through the film & give the colour a few tweaks?
Thank you for echoing my thoughts on the matter.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
This song and dance number was an amazing highlight of the film. We all know what a terrific dancer Cagney was, but Hope acquits himself beautifully here. This VistaVision film would be a fine 4K UHD release.
Bob Hope had a healthy Broadway musical career prior to being snapped up for the movies including musicals penned by Jerome Kern and Cole Porter.

Sadsack

Second Unit
Real Name
David
Two questions about pre-releases for Kino Insider.
Are the two Chuck Heston titles NUMBER ONE and COUNTERPOINT using the same scans used for the older dvds?
Will a blu-ray only release be offered at some point from the INVASION OF BODY SNATCHERS 4KUHD/Blu release?

Users who are viewing this thread

• mop

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
suzook
Recent bookmarks