What's new

Kino-Lorber Insider Announcement Thread (Read Guidelines Post #3) (39 Viewers)

[email protected]!

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kent
i've not seen this film as I'm not a big John Wayne fan (THE SEARCHERS is the exception for me...) but I am a William Holden and Constance Towers fan and I'm curious if this is ALTHEA GIBSON, the African American Tennis sensation?

Dick

Premium
Real Name
Rick
One of the few Wayne movies I just can't warm up to. William Holden, too, another of my favorites. And John Ford direction! What went wrong for me here? Maybe it's the script? Odd pacing? Don't know.

lark144

Premium
Real Name
mark gross
One of the few Wayne movies I just can't warm up to. William Holden, too, another of my favorites. And John Ford direction! What went wrong for me here? Maybe it's the script? Odd pacing? Don't know.
To each their own.

I saw this when it opened and have loved it ever since.

Is it a great film?

No way. Ford himself said it was "crap", that the script he was provided with was inferior and structurally poor, in addition to the character arcs. So Ford tried to improve upon it, unsuccessfully, he thought, by "improvising". And though the film still has all kinds of deficiencies, it's those "improvisations" by Ford, in image as well as incident, that make the film, for me, something to cherish; specifically in the use of landscape, which holds the bittersweet aroma of defeat, and also that horizontal column of men, which begins the film, and is developed upon throughout; as well as those lingering sunsets, which are far more evocative than in any other John Ford film I have seen.

So no, "The Horse Soldiers" is far from perfect, yet for anyone who has an enthusiasm for the craft and world view of John Ford, it's a never-ending source of beauty and knowledge. You won't find that in the plot, but the images, which speak volumes, not only of its maker's artistry and beliefs, but also of the ragtag procession of American history.

jim_falconer

Supporting Actor
To each their own.

I saw this when it opened and have loved it ever since.

Is it a great film?

No way. Ford himself said it was "crap", that the script he was provided with was inferior and structurally poor, in addition to the character arcs. So Ford tried to improve upon it, unsuccessfully, he thought, by "improvising". And though the film still has all kinds of deficiencies, it's those "improvisations" by Ford, in image as well as incident, that make the film, for me, something to cherish; specifically in the use of landscape, which holds the bittersweet aroma of defeat, and also that horizontal column of men, which begins the film, and is developed upon throughout; as well as those lingering sunsets, which are far more evocative than in any other John Ford film I have seen.

So no, "The Horse Soldiers" is far from perfect, yet for anyone who has an enthusiasm for the craft and world view of John Ford, it's a never-ending source of beauty and knowledge. You won't find that in the plot, but the images, which speak volumes, not only of its maker's artistry and beliefs, but also of the ragtag procession of American history.
It also has some incredible acting. 20 years ago I purchase an 18X24 framed print of a scene from the film, and it’s been hanging in my living room every since. Due to spoilers, I won’t divulge the scene, but can say that John Wayne as colonel Marlow yells “I didn’t want this!”. I have always enjoyed revisiting this wonderful film

Billy Batson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Yup, I'm no fan, & William Holden is really annoying in it (or I should say his character is). It has some great scenes & Wayne is really good (as usual). Oh well, you can't like 'em all.

MCCLOUD

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert
Sunday's Facebook Announcement:

Coming Soon on Blu-ray!

Brand New 4K Master!

The Horse Soldiers (1959)
Starring John Wayne, William Holden & Constance Towers – Shot by William H. Clothier (The Alamo, Shenandoah) – Directed by John Ford (Stagecoach, Fort Apache, The Searchers).

View attachment 112980
Glad to see The Horse Soldiers getting a much needed Blu Ray Upgrade!
The Horse Soldiers is one of my many favorites of John Wayne Movies!
The Horse Soldiers is an Excellent Movie and ranks at the top of Wayne and Ford Collaborations alongside others such as The Searchers and Stagecoach.
Take Care!
Robert

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Yup, I'm no fan, & William Holden is really annoying in it (or I should say his character is). It has some great scenes & Wayne is really good (as usual). Oh well, you can't like 'em all.
The doctor played by William Holden does not annoy me at all. I'm surprised to learn that he does annoy some people.

Corn Pop

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jason
The doctor played by William Holden does not annoy me at all. I'm surprised to learn that he does annoy some people.
I think that The Horse Soldiers is a very underrated film. I rate it much higher than most of the commenters here. I love the dinner scene at the plantation house where John Wayne is reacting with disdain and incredulity to the efforts by some of the other dinner guests to impress the pretty woman. Great facial expressions!

RICK BOND

Screenwriter
Real Name
RICK
Finally ! A New Restoration ! :D :banana: Very Happy about The Horse Soldiers and Vera Cruz being re- released by KL ! :dancing-banana-04:
AAA HORSE SOLD.jpg

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Coming December 7th!

Busting (1974) Limited Edition Re-Release
• 2015 HD Master
• Audio Commentary by Director Peter Hyams
• Audio Commentary with Star Elliott Gould and Film Critic Kim Morgan
• Theatrical Trailer
• O-Card Slipcase

Color 92 Minutes 1.85:1 Rated R
Meet the long and short of L.A.’s vice squad… Keneely (Elliott Gould, The Long Goodbye) is the lanky one… Farrel (Robert Blake, Electra Glide in Blue) is the short one… they may not be the best cops in town, but they sure are the toughest. Stand by for plenty of action in this fast-paced thriller that marked the impressive debut of writer and director Peter Hyams who later went on to make Capricorn One, Outland and Running Scared. Gould and Blake play a pair of Los Angeles cops who find themselves in a bitter conflict with their corrupt superiors as they wage a two-men war against crime czar Carl Rizzo (Allen Garfield, The Organization). And even when they’re demoted after a hair-raising shootout, the two dedicated cops are ready to break every rule in the book to bring their quarry to justice. The stellar cast includes Antonio Fargas (Across 110th Street), Michael Lerner (Barton Fink), Sid Haig (Pit Stop), Cornelia Sharpe (Serpico) and William Sylvester (2001: A Space Odyssey).

738329257095.jpg

738329257095_back.jpg

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I believe so. It was first released by Kino in 2015, but that version is no longer available for purchase on their web site.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Scoundrel
Recent bookmarks