What's new

Kino-Lorber Insider Announcement Thread (Read Guidelines Post #3) (22 Viewers)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
RAH,

Just for clarification, are you saying that several films were shot 2.55, but were released 2.35 to theaters?
Yes. This has already been answered by Mark P, above, but more detail.

Prepping this with DL, was told it was shot with Arri and scope adapter optics, to be projected 2.55 with mag tracks.

Final mix was produced mono, as even mx stems are in that format. While I’ve heard rumors of mono mag, I never physically saw one, and if any were produced they would probably have been via direct positive, as all (both) sets of printing matrices were 2.35. Tech cropped track area as opposed to centering, sending film off balance - quite obvious in some shots. I went over this with Mr. Crisp, who corrected the AR for Blu and beyond.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
I guess they could all be wrong.

imdb.com and TCM have it as 2.55.

This from widescreen.com implies between 1955 and 1957 (I guess it depended on the studio) 2.55 was eliminated:

1955 - 2.35:1. Exhibitor resistance to investing in stereophonic sound reproduction equipment forced the use of several different sound formats for CinemaScope. There was a mono magnetic sound stripe that was located in the same area as the optical soundtrack in standard films and there were optical mono soundtracks as well. In addition, MGM utilized the crummy Perspecta system to create ersatz stereo effects. These formats used standard film perforations and necessitated a reduction in image width to yield 2.35:1. In 1957, with the adoption of the magoptical sound track, which incorporated both a narrow optical mono soundtrack along with the four magnetic stripes, finally eliminated 2.55:1 as a ratio for CinemaScope and other anamorphic 35mm systems.
Based on other releases from this time period Universal was using 3 channel sound during this time but its unlikely Universal will supply that when all previous releases were 2.0

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Three page ad in Boxoffice magazine
1t.jpg

2t.jpg

3t.jpg

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Coming to Blu-ray October 5th from Kino Lorber!

Songs my Brothers Taught Me (2015)
Directed by Chloé Zhao

Songs My Brothers Taught Me (2015) is the debut feature from Chloé Zhao (Eternals), the Academy Award®-winning director of Nomadland (2020). It is a compelling and complex portrait of modern day life on the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation that explores the bond between a brother (John Reddy) and his younger sister (Jashaun St. John), who find themselves on separate paths to rediscovering the meaning of home.

Special features:
*Bloopers
*Deleted Scenes
*Interview with director Chloé Zhao
*Trailer
*Optional English SDH subtitles

SongsMyBrotherTaughtMe_BR.jpg

Ken Koc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
It's not our master, so I guess, they'll show the up-res one, till we give them and Universal access to our beautiful 2K master.
I just took a look at FREUD on the Criterion Channel. It's not a good transfer and up-res does not make it any better than SD. I hope we won't have to wait too long for the 2K Blu ray.

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Coming to Blu-ray October 5th from Cohen Media Group and Kino Lorber!

The Awakening (2011)
Directed by Nick Murphy
Starring Rebecca Hall, Dominic West, and Imelda Staunton

They say the boy was scared to death. When the death of a child at a boarding school is blamed on a ghost, hoax exposer Florence Cathcart is certain that science and reason can explain it. But the truth she discovers is more terrifying than she could ever imagine, and soon the ghost hunter becomes the hunted. Starring Rebecca Hall (The Town), Dominic West (The Wire) and Imelda Staunton (Harry Potter films), The Awakening is a terrifying mystery filled with haunting twists that will keep you on the edge of your seat.

Special features:
*Deleted Scenes Introduced by Director Nick Murphy
*A Time for Ghosts
*Anatomy of a Scene: Florence and the Lake

Awakening_BR.jpg

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Coming October 12th from CODE RED and Kino Lorber!
https://www.kinolorber.com/product/the-hound-of-the-baskervilles-4k-uhd

The Hound of the Baskervilles (1978)
• Theatrical Trailer
• Optional English Subtitles

Color 78 Minutes 2.35:1 Not Rated
Comedy legends Peter Cook (Bedazzled, The Bed Sitting Room) and Dudley Moore (Arthur, Blame It on the Bellboy) star in this wonderfully irreverent slant on Sherlock Holmes that keeps the wickedly witty gags coming, from satirical start to fantastic finish! Exhausted by a recent case, Sherlock (Cook) dispatches Watson (Moore) to Baskerville Hall to face a legendary demonic dog. But while Watson scours the scary moors, Holmes is busy visiting his mum (who calls him “Sherl”), interviewing the sole applicant for a “runner of errands” (a one-legged man), and dropping in at a Victorian massage parlor. Will the case be solved? Will the masseuse use salve? Only one thing’s certain: This rabidly funny comedy is a howling good time! Cult filmmaker Paul Morrissey (Flesh for Frankenstein, Blood for Dracula) co-wrote (with Cook and Moore) and directed this outrageous spoof. The hilarious cast includes Denholm Elliott (Percy), Joan Greenwood (The Man in the White Suit), Hugh Griffith (Kind Hearts and Coronets), Irene Handl (The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes), Terry-Thomas (The Green Man), Max Wall (Jabberwocky), Kenneth Williams (the Carry On films), Roy Kinnear (How I Won the War) and Spike Milligan (The Last Remake of Beau Geste).

738329256241.jpg

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Coming to DVD and Blu-ray October 12th from Cohen Media Group and Kino Lorber!

Casanova, Last Love
Directed by Benoit Jacquot
Starring Vincent Lindon, Stacy Martin, Valeria Golino

Casanova, Last Love is the latest romantic ravishment from director Benoit Jacquot (Farewell, My Queen). London, 18th century. Casanova (Vincent Lindon), famous for his taste for pleasure and gambling, arrives from Paris, forced into exile. In this city he knows nothing about, the libertine meets on several occasions a young prostitute, Marianne de Charpillon (Stacy Martin). She attracts him to the point he starts disregarding all other women. The legendary seducer is ready to do anything to get her, but La Charpillon always escapes under various excuses. She challenges Casanova: “You will only have me if you stop desiring me!"

Also includes:
*English subtitles
*Trailers

CasanovaLastLove_BR.jpg

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Coming to DVD (2 discs) and Blu-ray (1 disc) October 12th from Milestone Film & Video and Kino Lorber!

Filibus (1915)
Directed by Mario Roncoroni
Starring Valeria Creti

“No other crime thriller compares to Filibus!” exclaimed a Corona Films ad in the April 1915 Italian film magazine La Vita Cinematografica — and for once the ballyhoo was correct! Directed by Mario Roncoroni and scripted by future science fiction author Giovanni Bertinetti, Filibus is the most exciting, witty, feminist, steampunk, cross-dressing aviatrix thriller you will ever see! Flying high above the clouds in her dirigible, Filibus, the mysterious sky pirate, is a master of disguise and the scourge of millionaires, banks, and the police. Lowered in a gondola by her henchmen, Filibus steals from the rich and then mysteriously vanishes into the clouds.

With a new digital transfer, newly translated intertitles and a stunning score by the famed Mont Alto Motion Picture Orchestra, Filibus is a joy to behold!

Special features:
*Recreating the original Netherlands opening in 1916: Dutch newsreel "Laatste bioscoop wereldberichten" (1916), hilarious French comedy Onésime et la toilette de mademoiselle Badinois (Jean Durand, 1912, Gaumont), Italian travelogue Rapallo (1914, Cines), and the amazing French drama Amour et science (M.J. Hoche, 1912)

*Italian feature film Signori giurati (Giuseppe Giusti, 1916, Corona Films) starring Fabienne Fabrèges, and Filibus herself, Valeria Creti!

*Two additional Filibus scores composed by Donald Sosin

Filibus_BR.jpg

RichMurphy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Rich
Coming to DVD (2 discs) and Blu-ray (1 disc) October 12th from Milestone Film & Video and Kino Lorber!

Filibus (1915)
Starring Valeria Creti

“No other crime thriller compares to Filibus!” exclaimed a Corona Films ad in the April 1915 Italian film magazine La Vita Cinematografica — and for once the ballyhoo was correct! Directed by Mario Roncoroni and scripted by future science fiction author Giovanni Bertinetti, Filibus is the most exciting, witty, feminist, steampunk, cross-dressing aviatrix thriller you will ever see! Flying high above the clouds in her dirigible, Filibus, the mysterious sky pirate, is a master of disguise and the scourge of millionaires, banks, and the police. Lowered in a gondola by her henchmen, Filibus steals from the rich and then mysteriously vanishes into the clouds.

With a new digital transfer, newly translated intertitles and a stunning score by the famed Mont Alto Motion Picture Orchestra, Filibus is a joy to behold!

Special features:
*Recreating the original Netherlands opening in 1916: Dutch newsreel "Laatste bioscoop wereldberichten" (1916), hilarious French comedy Onésime et la toilette de mademoiselle Badinois (Jean Durand, 1912, Gaumont), Italian travelogue Rapallo (1914, Cines), and the amazing French drama Amour et science (M.J. Hoche, 1912)

*Italian feature film Signori giurati (Giuseppe Giusti, 1916, Corona Films) starring Fabienne Fabrèges, and Filibus herself, Valeria Creti!

View attachment 107185
Love the "aviatrix thriller" description above. Makes me think of "The Drowsy Chaperone" :P

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray

• Theatrical Trailer

Comedy legends Peter Cook (Bedazzled, The Bed Sitting Room) and Dudley Moore (Arthur, Blame It on the Bellboy) star in this wonderfully irreverent slant on Sherlock Holmes that keeps the wickedly witty gags coming, from satirical start to fantastic finish! Exhausted by a recent case, Sherlock (Cook) dispatches Watson (Moore) to Baskerville Hall to face a legendary demonic dog. But while Watson scours the scary moors, Holmes is busy visiting his mum (who calls him “Sherl”), interviewing the sole applicant for a “runner of errands” (a one-legged man), and dropping in at a Victorian massage parlor. Will the case be solved? Will the masseuse use salve? Only one thing’s certain: This rabidly funny comedy is a howling good time! Cult filmmaker Paul Morrissey (Flesh for Frankenstein, Blood for Dracula) co-wrote (with Cook and Moore) and directed this outrageous spoof. The hilarious cast includes Denholm Elliott (Percy), Joan Greenwood (The Man in the White Suit), Hugh Griffith (Kind Hearts and Coronets), Irene Handl (The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes), Terry-Thomas (The Green Man), Max Wall (Jabberwocky), Kenneth Williams (the Carry On films), Roy Kinnear (How I Won the War) and Spike Milligan (The Last Remake of Beau Geste).

View attachment 107167
Excellent. Really turning the hound loose for this one

cadavra

Supporting Actor
Real Name
mike schlesinger

• Theatrical Trailer

View attachment 107167

Okay, now I'm confused. As far as I know, there are two versions: The UK cut was 85", the US was 74" with scenes out of order and an absolute mess. Naturally, I hope it's the former, which I've never seen!

cadavra

Supporting Actor
Real Name
mike schlesinger
Yes. This has already been answered by Mark P, above, but more detail.

Prepping this with DL, was told it was shot with Arri and scope adapter optics, to be projected 2.55 with mag tracks.

Final mix was produced mono, as even mx stems are in that format. While I’ve heard rumors of mono mag, I never physically saw one, and if any were produced they would probably have been via direct positive, as all (both) sets of printing matrices were 2.35. Tech cropped track area as opposed to centering, sending film off balance - quite obvious in some shots. I went over this with Mr. Crisp, who corrected the AR for Blu and beyond.

Semi-funny story. When I came to Sony, we turned up a 70mm print of KWAI. Completely faded, of course, but the weird part is that it was six-track mono. I was tempted to keep it for curiosity's sake, but the storage charge was too high for something I'd never really use.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Semi-funny story. When I came to Sony, we turned up a 70mm print of KWAI. Completely faded, of course, but the weird part is that it was six-track mono. I was tempted to keep it for curiosity's sake, but the storage charge was too high for something I'd never really use.
There were several 6-track mono shows from Columbia. Another, off the top of my head, was Nicholas & Alexandra. All seemed to originate from Tech London.

Last edited:

Andrew M

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew Melomet

Filibus (1915)
Starring Valeria Creti

Special features:

View attachment 107185
Saw this at the San Francisco Silent Film Festival several years ago. Absolutely delightful and worth purchasing.

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Coming to DVD and Blu-ray October 19th from Cohen Media Group and Kino Lorber!

Corridor of Mirrors (1948)
Directed by Terence Young
Starring Edana Romnney, Eric Portman, Barbara Mullen, Christopher Lee

Newly Restored! Eric Portman (A CANTERBURY TALE) plays an artist obsessed with the past. He surrounds himself with Renaissance artwork, infatuated with the notion that he and his lover (Edana Romney) are reincarnations of the lovers in a centuries-old painting. Portman’s delusions have deadly consequences. One of the most unusual British films of the 1940s, CORRIDOR OF MIRRORS incorporates aspects of gothic horror, film noir, melodrama, fantasy, romance and thrillers. The first feature by director Terence Young (DR. NO., WAIT UNTIL DARK), it was heavily influenced by Jean Cocteau’s BEAUTY AND THE BEAST and David Lean’s BRIEF ENCOUNTER, and includes the feature film debut of Christopher Lee (THE LORD OF THE RINGS).

Includes:
*Trailers

CorridorOfMirrors_BR.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quirkyorc