What's new

Kino-Lorber Insider Announcement Thread (Read Guidelines Post #3) (20 Viewers)

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
It's not our master, so I guess, they'll show the up-res one, till we give them and Universal access to our beautiful 2K master.
This is a little confusing, since Universal would have done the transfer and certainly owns the film. I'm sure you have a license to release on Blu-ray, but certainly Universal would have the right to license to Criterion for showing on their channel, which they surely have done. When you do these deals is it so that no one can use the new master for the duration of your license? That would at least make sense.

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
This is a little confusing, since Universal would have done the transfer and certainly owns the film. I'm sure you have a license to release on Blu-ray, but certainly Universal would have the right to license to Criterion for showing on their channel, which they surely have done. When you do these deals is it so that no one can use the new master for the duration of your license? That would at least make sense.
Who says Universal did the transfer? Yes, they own the film and we need their permission to access to their film elements, but ALL new 2K and 4K transfers are paid for and overseen by us, not the studio. Yes, the master will eventually become their property, but not before the agreed upon exclusive window we've contractually asked for, which differs from deal to deal.

In some cases, color grading and transfers are overseen by the director or cinematographer, but it's our responsibility to get in touch with them, not the studio's.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
Who says Universal did the transfer? Yes, they own the film and we need their permission to access to their film elements, but ALL new 2K and 4K transfers are paid for and overseen by us, not the studio. Yes, the master will eventually become their property, but not before the agreed upon exclusive window we've contractually asked for, which differs from deal to deal.

In some cases, color grading and transfers are overseen by the director or cinematographer, but it's our responsibility to get in touch with them, not the studio's.
I understand completely that you pay for and oversee the transfer, but I have never known a major studio to release an asset to an outside company. A digital file, sure, but not the actual elements. I guess things have loosened up in that regard. Looking forward to Freud very much.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I understand completely that you pay for and oversee the transfer, but I have never known a major studio to release an asset to an outside company. A digital file, sure, but not the actual elements. I guess things have loosened up in that regard. Looking forward to Freud very much.
Depends where the harvest is being performed. Could be on the lot. Much like WB, or delivered to an accredited, trusted post facility.

Last edited:

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Coming October 19th!
https://www.kinolorber.com/product/come-september-blu-ray

Come September (1961)
• NEW Audio Commentary by Film Historian David Del Valle and Filmmaker David DeCoteau
• Theatrical Trailer
• Optional English Subtitles

Color 112 Minutes 2.35:1 Not Rated
Rock Hudson (The Tarnished Angels, Pillow Talk) stars with the ravishing Gina Lollobrigida (Trapeze, Woman of Straw) in this racy, romantic romp set on the breathtaking Italian Riviera. Every September, successful New York businessman Robert L. Talbot (Hudson) visits his Italian villa to relax and to romance his Roman girlfriend Lisa Helena Fellini (Lollobrigida). But after arriving unannounced one July day, he’s in for a huge surprise! During his absence, the luxurious home has become a hotel. What’s more, the current guest list accommodates a gaggle of American girls with persistent boys pining after them. In a desperate attempt to regain control, Talbot manages to lose his privacy, his girlfriend and his mind—until he comes up with a plan of his own. This is the film in which Bobby Darin (Captain Newman, M.D.) not only made his feature debut, but also ended up marrying his lovely co-star, Sandra Dee (Portrait in Black), just ten days after filming wrapped. Directed by Robert Mulligan (To Kill a Mockingbird, Love with the Proper Stranger, Summer of ’42), Come September features beautiful camerawork by Greta Garbo’s favorite cinematographer, William H. Daniels (Cat on a Hot Tin Roof), with designer Morton Haack (Planet of the Apes) creating Ms. Lollobrigida’s exquisite gowns.

738329255954.jpg

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
They release the film elements to a mastering house we work with that is pre-approved by the studio. We're not going to the studio in a van and picking up the IPs or camera negatives.

Some studios, like Fox and Sony, oversee their own transfers and will not allow a third party label to handle their restorations. Disney would not let the negatives out of their sight, so they delivered us the raw 4K scans and we did the rest. Paramount, MGM, Universal, StudioCanal and others allow the third party labels to oversee the scanning and transfers, as long as the scanning is done at one of their pre-approved facilities.

We ended up dropping a dozen or so really cool Fox titles, since they had no plans of doing new transfers and would not allow us to oversee them.

Last edited:

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
They release the film elements to a mastering house we work with that is pre-approved by the studio. We're not going to the studio in a van and picking up the IPs or camera negatives.

Some studios, like Fox and Sony, oversee their own transfers and will not allow a third party label to handle their restorations. Disney would not let the negatives out of their sight, so they delivered us the raw 4K scans and we did the rest. Paramount, MGM, Universal, StudioCanal and others allow the third party labels to oversee the scanning and transfers, as long as the scanning is done at one of their pre-approved facilities.

We ended up dropping a dozen or so really cool Fox titles, since they had no plans of doing new transfers and would not allow us to oversee them.
In one respect, this makes me want to cry… I bet there was a title in those “dozen or so” that I would have needed. :(

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren

Mr. insider, when you say about Fox and Sony, this means then that whatever they give you is what you can release… they won’t let you do any further restoration?

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Coming October 19th!
https://www.kinolorber.com/product/change-of-habit-blu-ray

Change of Habit (1969)
• NEW Audio Commentary by Film Historians Howard S. Berger and Nathaniel Thompson
• Theatrical Trailer

Color 93 Minutes 1.85:1 Rated G
After starring in a string of classic films like Jailhouse Rock, King Creole, Viva Las Vegas and Clambake, the iconic Elvis Presley changed his acting habit and made this unconventional late-’60s romance his Hollywood swan song. The King takes on a rare dramatic role as the young and handsome Dr. John Carpenter, who is assigned three female medical social workers to assist him at his inner-city clinic—but he doesn’t know that they are really nuns! Mary Tyler Moore (Thoroughly Modern Millie, What’s So Bad About Feeling Good?) is Sister Michelle, one of the nuns who takes off her habit—and takes off with Elvis’ heart! When love blossoms between the sweet, singing and swinging doctor and the demure, devoted nun, Michelle must decide whether to follow her heart or stay true to her vows. In this touching story that addresses social issues still relevant today, Elvis woos his love as only he can with unforgettable musical numbers like “Rubberneckin’,” “Let Us Pray” and “Change of Habit.” The wonderful supporting cast includes Barbara McNair (Stiletto), Ed Asner (The Satan Bug), Ruth McDevitt (TV’s Kolchak: The Night Stalker) and Richard Carlson (The Maze).

738329255961.jpg

Gerani53

Second Unit
Real Name
Gary Gerani
Learned a whole lot about CHANGE OF HABIT while interviewing composer Billy Goldenberg for my documentary about the late composer, ROMANTIC MYSTICISM: THE MUSIC OF BILLY GOLDENBERG. A good deal of that interview footage revealed aspects of Elvis' involvement with the film and general behavior that certainly caught my attention. Billy was asked by Elvis to score CHANGE OF HABIT after being the musical director for the legendary Elvis Comeback Special of 1968, where he revived the King's career. Billy even taught Elvis how to play classical music on the piano!

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
We added 73 titles to our ongoing WHILE SUPPLIES LAST Sale!

Now over 300 titles!
Free USA Shipping: Orders of $50 or More!

Here's the list of the newly added titles:
Another Stakeout
Baby: Secret of the Lost Legend
Bad Man's River
Big Business (Special Edition)
Bill of Divorcement (1932)
Bill of Divorcement aka Never to Love (1940)
Canadian Pacific
Captain Apache
Cariboo Trail
Cover Up
The Crimson Cult
Crooked Way
Curse of the Pink Panther
DePatie/Freleng Collection Vol. 1
DePatie/Freleng Collection Vol. 2
An Eye for an Eye
Farmer's Daughter
F/X2
The Garden of Allah
Girl Most Likely To…
Gone to Earth / The Wild Heart
Good Times
Grissom Gang
Gun in Betty Lou's Handbag
Heartbreak Hotel (Special Edition)
Hero and the Terror
House of 1,000 Dolls
Hunting Party
I'll Be Seeing You
Impulse
Indiscretion of an American Wife (Special Edition)
An Innocent Man (Special Edition)
Inspector Clouseau
Intermezzo aka Intermezzo: A Love Story
The Island of Dr. Moreau
Jenny
Kentuckian
The Killing of Sister George
Krakatoa, East of Java
The Land That Time Forgot
Last Dance
The Last Valley
Legend of the Lost
Life Stinks
Made For Each Other (Restored Edition)
The Marrying Man
Mercenary
A Minute to Pray, A Second to Die
National Lampoon's Class Reunion (Special Edition)
Nothing Sacred (Special Restored Edition)
The Oblong Box
The People That Time Forgot
Portrait of Jennie
The Premature Burial
Real Men
Shalako
Shattered
Soldier
Son of the Pink Panther
Song of Norway
Straight Talk (Special Edition)
Taking of Beverly Hills
Topaze
Town Called Hell
V.I. Warshawski
The War at Home
What Ever Happened to Aunt Alice? (Special Edition)
Wild Palms
Woman in Red
Woman in the Window
The Wrong Guy
Young Doctors in Love
The Young in Heart

WSL.jpg

cadavra

Supporting Actor
Real Name
mike schlesinger
Coming October 19th!
https://www.kinolorber.com/product/change-of-habit-blu-ray

Change of Habit (1969)
• NEW Audio Commentary by Film Historians Howard S. Berger and Nathaniel Thompson
• Theatrical Trailer

Color 93 Minutes 1.85:1 Rated G
After starring in a string of classic films like Jailhouse Rock, King Creole, Viva Las Vegas and Clambake, the iconic Elvis Presley changed his acting habit and made this unconventional late-’60s romance his Hollywood swan song. The King takes on a rare dramatic role as the young and handsome Dr. John Carpenter, who is assigned three female medical social workers to assist him at his inner-city clinic—but he doesn’t know that they are really nuns! Mary Tyler Moore (Thoroughly Modern Millie, What’s So Bad About Feeling Good?) is Sister Michelle, one of the nuns who takes off her habit—and takes off with Elvis’ heart! When love blossoms between the sweet, singing and swinging doctor and the demure, devoted nun, Michelle must decide whether to follow her heart or stay true to her vows. In this touching story that addresses social issues still relevant today, Elvis woos his love as only he can with unforgettable musical numbers like “Rubberneckin’,” “Let Us Pray” and “Change of Habit.” The wonderful supporting cast includes Barbara McNair (Stiletto), Ed Asner (The Satan Bug), Ruth McDevitt (TV’s Kolchak: The Night Stalker) and Richard Carlson (The Maze).

View attachment 105978

I've never seen this, but I had no idea Asner was in it. Has anyone who has seen it confirm if he and Mary have scenes together?

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Coming October 26th!
Two Pre-Code Classics Starring Tallulah Bankhead!
https://www.kinolorber.com/product/the-cheat-blu-ray
https://www.kinolorber.com/product/devil-and-the-deep-blu-ray

The Cheat (1931)
• NEW Audio Commentary by Film Critic and Author Simon Abrams
• Trailers

B&W 68 Minutes 1.37:1 Not Rated
Temptation meets its match in The Cheat, a scandalous Pre-Code classic starring Tallulah Bankhead (Lifeboat). Elsa Carlyle (Bankhead) is an impulsive and charismatic gambler who has fallen on hard times and owes a large sum of money. A wealthy playboy (Irving Pichel, The Story of Temple Drake) promises to help her but his price may be more than Elsa is prepared to give. When her devoted husband (Harvey Stephens, Beau Geste) takes the fall for her passions, Elsa’s loyalties are put to the test. Directed by legendary Broadway and Hollywood ace George Abbott (Damn Yankees) during the most decadent era in motion picture history, this daring story explores a woman whose addictions lead her on a path of danger and discovery.

Devil and the Deep (1932)
• NEW Audio Commentary by Film Historian David Del Valle
• Trailers

B&W 78 Minutes 1.37:1 Not Rated
Screen legends Tallulah Bankhead (Lifeboat), Gary Cooper (Beau Geste), Charles Laughton (The Sign of the Cross) and Cary Grant (Hot Saturday) ignite the screen in Devil and the Deep. Grant, in his first major supporting role for Paramount studios, plays a lieutenant whose commanding officer (Laughton) suspects him of seducing his wife (Bankhead) when the real threat is another officer (Cooper). This sultry Pre-Code melodrama serves up a deadly love triangle with a thrilling climax set aboard a submarine that is trapped at the bottom of the sea. Directed by Marion Gering (Madame Butterfly) and featuring the stunning cinematography of Charles Lang (A Farewell to Arms), this offers a rare opportunity to see four screen legends together at the beginnings of their film careers.

738329255978.jpg

738329255985.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks