What's new

Kino-Lorber Insider Announcement Thread (Read Guidelines Post #3) (8 Viewers)

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Wonderful film, long overdue. A favorite anecdote I love to tell is that when Lancaster first approached Cooper about the picture, he turned him down cold, saying he always gets top billing. Lancaster replied, "Aw, hell, is that all you're worried about? I'll take second." Cooper then agreed to read the script and of course did the film. It speaks volumes about Lancaster that he knew what was important and didn't let his ego get in the way (unlike Steve McQueen, who passed on "Butch Cassidy" because he wouldn't take even "co-equal" billing to Newman). Coincidentally, four years later, the same thing happened with Gable on "Run Silent, Run Deep," and again Lancaster deferred to the older actor, even though Gable's role was much smaller.
Lancaster wanted to do good movies which is why he took roles in The Rose Tattoo and Come Back Little Sheba knowing the movies would belong to his leading ladies, not to him.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Real Name
Robert
Lancaster wanted to do good movies which is why he took roles in The Rose Tattoo and Come Back Little Sheba knowing the movies would belong to his leading ladies, not to him.
Lancaster was a film producer too as was the case with "Vera Cruz" and "Run Silent, Run Deep" so he took a broader view than most actors in making good movies.

TheSteig

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
I was blown away by the Misery UHD announcement, but I am 100 times more shocked by the Silence of the Lambs announcement. I will get this, I am confident that this will surpass the Blu-ray release and if not, there's a Blu-ray in the package anyway :D
And from what I read elsewhere KL has more titles once released by Criterion, and it sounds like they are headed for UHD land. I feel like my Blu-ray collection is going to get a major facelift !! :)

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Hoping for Blue Velvet on 4K, but Kino's previous experience with David Lynch might turn them off. :)

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Wonderful film, long overdue. A favorite anecdote I love to tell is that when Lancaster first approached Cooper about the picture, he turned him down cold, saying he always gets top billing. Lancaster replied, "Aw, hell, is that all you're worried about? I'll take second." Cooper then agreed to read the script and of course did the film. It speaks volumes about Lancaster that he knew what was important and didn't let his ego get in the way (unlike Steve McQueen, who passed on "Butch Cassidy" because he wouldn't take even "co-equal" billing to Newman). Coincidentally, four years later, the same thing happened with Gable on "Run Silent, Run Deep," and again Lancaster deferred to the older actor, even though Gable's role was much smaller.
Many thanks for that because I didn't know either of those facts. Burt Lancaster was an interesting and complicated man. Some who have worked with him have declared him to have been excessively confident and a bit of a bully yet others found him to be extremely helpful.

commander richardson

Second Unit
Real Name
martyn
From life experience I found that people who reach the top of their profession and are successful whether they be young or old have a ruthlessness which is not always apparent to those looking from the outside in .

TheSteig

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
Hoping for Blue Velvet on 4K, but Kino's previous experience with David Lynch might turn them off. :)
I always have had this feeling Lost Highway will wind up with Criterion when KL's license expires because of that experience with Lynch you mentioned. It'll wind up being a UHD release from them!

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
It's funny, can you tell me how Kino has hurt you? We could release the lost version of The Magnificent Ambersons and you would show up saying something negative about the release and/or our label. Why do you post on this KLSC thread, don't you have something better to do?
Sure, it's nice that you released Welles's cut of Ambersons, but until you release London After Midnight and the technicolor print of Son of Frankenstein, don't tell me about how great you're doing . . .

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Sure, it's nice that you released Welles's cut of Ambersons, but until you release London After Midnight and the technicolor print of Son of Frankenstein, don't tell me about how great you're doing . . .
...You forgot about the original version of von Stroheim's Greed ... ;) !

ps... thanks for sending my second order from the last KINO sale so fast :cool: ...

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Coming October 26th!

Hot Saturday (1932)
• NEW Audio Commentary by Author/Film Historian Lee Gambin
• Trailers
• Reversible Art
• Optional English Subtitles

B&W 73 Minutes 1.37:1 Not Rated
Cary Grant (The Eagle and the Hawk), Nancy Carroll (The Kiss Before the Mirror) and Randolph Scott (Supernatural) star in the Pre-Code scorcher Hot Saturday about small-town gossip that leads to enormous damage. When a wealthy city man, Romer Sheffield (Grant), hosts a party at his summer lake house, a rumor soon starts that Ruth (Carroll), a lovely small-town girl, spent the night with him. As Ruth seeks someone who will believe her innocence, the scandal rocks her community, forcing the girl to make a desperate decision that will change her life forever. They call her “bad”—and she tries to live up to it—in this classic from director William A. Seiter (A Lady Takes a Chance).

738329255992.jpg

738329255992_back.jpg

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
We've confirmed these before, but here's the actual announcement:

Coming in 2022 on 4KUHD!

A Fistful of Dollars (1964) Clint Eastwood, Gian Maria Volontè, Marianne Koch, Mario Brega & Aldo Sambrell – Music by Ennio Morricone – Directed by Sergio Leone

For a Few Dollars More (1965) Clint Eastwood, Lee Van Cleef, Gian Maria Volontè, Klaus Kinski, Mario Brega, Luigi Pistilli & Aldo Sambrell – Music by Ennio Morricone – Directed by Sergio Leone

Sold Separately!
Restoration and bonus feature details will be announced later.

Eastwood_Leone.jpg

TheSteig

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
KL has said this weekend one of the announced titles will be an MGM UHD title announcement. Im going to make sure Im sitting down for this announcement after I nearly collapsed after the Silence of the Lambs was revealed ! :D

lark144

Premium
Real Name
mark gross
Looking forward to KL’s specs on Jet Pilot. Please, please include the original 1.33.1 ratio!
It doesn't work at 1:85. Not at all. The scenes directed by Von Sternberg--in 1950, I think--have an amazing use of color. For example, there is a scene where John Wayne is standing on a streetcorner with Janet Leigh, and he's telling her how much he loves her. She isn't convinced. The traffic light is red, and Ms. Leigh's face is covered with a red gel. Then the light changes to green, and the two of them kiss, their faces bathed in green light. On the DVD, which was 1:85, their faces were so cropped you could only see a bit of green on the bottom of the frame. That scene is wonderful in Academy ratio, and in 1:85, that use of color is hardly there at all. And because of the cropping, it doesn't make any sense. There are these two lips and a fragment of an eye. And in the master shot, the traffic light is also cropped out.

battlebeast

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Warren
It doesn't work at 1:85. Not at all. The scenes directed by Von Sternberg--in 1950, I think--have an amazing use of color. For example, there is a scene where John Wayne is standing on a streetcorner with Janet Leigh, and he's telling her how much he loves her. She isn't convinced. The traffic light is red, and Ms. Leigh's face is covered with a red gel. Then the light changes to green, and the two of them kiss, their faces bathed in green light. On the DVD, which was 1:85, their faces were so cropped you could only see a bit of green on the bottom of the frame. That scene is wonderful in Academy ratio, and in 1:85, that use of color is hardly there at all. And because of the cropping, it doesn't make any sense. There are these two lips and a fragment of an eye. And in the master shot, the traffic light is also cropped out.
One thing that is great, GREAT about KINO, is that they listen to fans and movie buffs!

Last edited:

Worth

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick Dobbs
KL has said this weekend one of the announced titles will be an MGM UHD title announcement. Im going to make sure Im sitting down for this announcement after I nearly collapsed after the Silence of the Lambs was revealed ! :D
The Princess Bride? Platoon?

Users who are viewing this thread

• Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    AaronChi
    Recent bookmarks