What's new

Kino-Lorber Insider Announcement Thread (Read Guidelines Post #3) (13 Viewers)

JPCinema

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken Koc
Coming October 12th!

The Last Sunset (1961)
• Brand New 2K Master
• NEW Audio Commentary by Film Critic Nick Pinkerton
• Theatrical Trailer
• Optional English Subtitles

Color 112 Minutes 1.85:1 Not Rated
From Robert Aldrich, the acclaimed director of Vera Cruz, The Dirty Dozen, The Grissom Gang and Ulzana’s Raid, comes this epic western melodrama starring Rock Hudson (Horizons West), Kirk Douglas (Man Without a Star), Dorothy Malone (The Tarnished Angels), Joseph Cotten (Duel in the Sun), Carol Lynley (The Night Stalker), Neville Brand (Killdozer) and Jack Elam (Rawhide). Western justice takes a dark turn in The Last Sunset, as American lawman Dana Stribling (Hudson) enters Mexico with one mission: to hunt down the infamous Brendan O’Malley (Douglas), who killed his brother-in-law. He finds his culprit working for a wealthy cattleman (Cotten) and arranging a herd to cross the border. Unable to serve his warrant, Stribling signs on as a trail boss, warning O’Malley of his intentions once they reach Texas. The two slowly develop respect for one another along the journey, but a shocking revelation will change their plans forever.
View attachment 104718
My favorite
incest
western!

Last edited by a moderator:

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Nice to see so many great titles released. And the slip covers push many more units so they are worth the extra production cost! Keep the slip covers, great films, and TV shows coming please.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross

Liked Vera Cruz and almost bought the 2011 Blu-ray but now i am happy that i will buy the upcoming Kino release.
I have the Blu-Ray. I was quite pleased with it, considering the usual abysmal quality of MGM Blu-Rays. I thought this was better than most, and watched it often. It didn't look all that different from a 16mm print a friend used to own. But I'll be happy to upgrade.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
Coming October 12th!

The Last Sunset (1961)
• Brand New 2K Master
• NEW Audio Commentary by Film Critic Nick Pinkerton
• Theatrical Trailer
• Optional English Subtitles

Color 112 Minutes 1.85:1 Not Rated
From Robert Aldrich, the acclaimed director of Vera Cruz, The Dirty Dozen, The Grissom Gang and Ulzana’s Raid, comes this epic western melodrama starring Rock Hudson (Horizons West), Kirk Douglas (Man Without a Star), Dorothy Malone (The Tarnished Angels), Joseph Cotten (Duel in the Sun), Carol Lynley (The Night Stalker), Neville Brand (Killdozer) and Jack Elam (Rawhide). Western justice takes a dark turn in The Last Sunset, as American lawman Dana Stribling (Hudson) enters Mexico with one mission: to hunt down the infamous Brendan O’Malley (Douglas), who killed his brother-in-law. He finds his culprit working for a wealthy cattleman (Cotten) and arranging a herd to cross the border. Unable to serve his warrant, Stribling signs on as a trail boss, warning O’Malley of his intentions once they reach Texas. The two slowly develop respect for one another along the journey, but a shocking revelation will change their plans forever.
View attachment 104718
Always liked this film, especially the somewhat over-the top color cinematography by Russell Metty that matched the subject matter perfectly. I think Bernardo Bertolucci had a fondness for this film, as a poster for it is prominently displayed in "The Spider's Stratagem".

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I have the Blu-Ray. I was quite pleased with it, considering the usual abysmal quality of MGM Blu-Rays. I thought this was better than most, and watched it often. It didn't look all that different from a 16mm print a friend used to own. But I'll be happy to upgrade.
I wasn't particularly happy with that 2011 Blu-ray so I'll be buying this Kino release.

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
I wasn't particularly happy with that 2011 Blu-ray so I'll be buying this Kino release.
I liked it, but would like it to be even better, so I'm also buying this. Anyway, it's one of my favorite all time films. But keep in mind that it was never a great looking film. The release prints were pretty soft and grainy, especially the opticals, as was the Blu-Ray. Back when films played in theaters, you didn't critique the way it looked. You just enjoyed the film, and were happy to see it. And that 2011 Blu-Ray reminded me of the look of the release prints, so though I would love it to be sharper with better color, I was fine with it, as that grainy color was my movie-going childhood taking concrete form.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I liked it, but would like it to be even better, so I'm also buying this. Anyway, it's one of my favorite all time films. But keep in mind that it was never a great looking film. The release prints were pretty soft and grainy, especially the opticals, as was the Blu-Ray.
It's one of my favorite westerns so I understand that it will never look beautiful. My best friend and I growing up in the early-mid-1960's, always loved Joe Erin's draw.:)

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
It's one of my favorite westerns so I understand that it will never look beautiful. My best friend and I growing up in the early-mid-1960's, always loved Joe Erin's draw.:)
I'll never forget the first time I saw it. I was six. It wasn't just Burt Lancaster's tootpaste grin, which I imitated in front of the mirror, but also those crazy camera movements; especially those pans that seemed to end up where they started.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Vera Cruz is not your typical B-westerns, it's a classic. Classic westerns like Duel in the Sun, The Ox-Bow Incident... sell great. The Last Sunset should do well, at least we hope so, with that cast and director.
Yup, I'll be purchasing both Blu-rays even though I already have both of these titles on Blu-ray. I plan on preordering both of them directly from your site.

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Well if Carl is investigating it, it might be your soul, or first born child LoL.
Wrong show but ... the truth is out there ...

SRP is $99.95 ... $59.97 through KINO -
1626839221794.png

Doug Wallen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Wrong show but ... the truth is out there ...

SRP is $99.95 ... $59.97 through KINO -
View attachment 104802

Pre-ordered this from Kino this afternoon. No tax or shipping charges. Feel that this is a great deal for the remastered series and the copious extras. Once again, thanks Kino.

TheSteig

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
It was pretty easy to order enough Kino titles to get free shipping. I grouped the ones I wanted with the same release date or at worst a week apart. Nothing like boxes of KL Blu-ray love :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks