What's new

Kino-Lorber Insider Announcement Thread (Read Guidelines Post #3) (23 Viewers)

AnthonyClarke

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid starring Steve Martin, Ingrid Bergman and Rachel Ward. What a cast. What a great little movie. I mentioned once to Rachel Ward's husband what a knockout she is in this movie. 'Just be careful', he warned me. Fortunately, he was only kidding and we went on to knock back a convivial bottle.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Huh.. Unless there's some odd stigma about working with "third party labels", or they wanted too much $$, or they just didn't have time, I don't quite get that. Sure, it's their right.
Maybe they think you guys are (to quote Lennie Briscoe/Jerry Orbach on "Law & Order") Communist spies or somthing.. ha ha
It may be that Martin didn’t feel he had anything to say he hadn’t said before. The Jerk was his first starring feature film and I think he wrote it so he may have felt more obligated. I appreciate that kino tried. Sometimes that’s all you can do with older stars who don’t need the attention.

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Coming September 21st!

Bird on a Wire (1990)
• Brand New 2K Master
• NEW Audio Commentary with Director John Badham, Producer/Second Unit Director Rob Cohen and Film Historian/Filmmaker Daniel Kremer
• Newly Restored Theatrical Trailer
• Optional English Subtitles

Color 110 Minutes 2.35:1 Rated PG-13
From John Badham, the acclaimed director of Saturday Night Fever, Blue Thunder, WarGames, Stakeout and The Hard Way, comes this action-packed comedy starring screen legends Mel Gibson (Mad Max), Goldie Hawn (Deceived) and David Carradine (The Long Riders). Hiding under the FBI Witness Protection Program, Rick Jarmin (Gibson) gets nervous when old flame Marianne Graves (Hawn) recognizes him. But before he can assume a new identity, the man he put in jail (Carradine) is released and comes to pay his respects. Rick and Marianne find themselves thrown together on an exhilarating cross-country scramble, barely evading the gangsters, police and an amorous veterinarian (Joan Severance, See No Evil, Hear No Evil). The strong supporting cast includes Bill Duke (Predator), Stephen Tobolowsky (Mississippi Burning), Jeff Corey (The Balcony) and Clyde Kusatsu (The Challenge). The outstanding soundtrack features music by The Neville Brothers, The Allman Brothers Band and Bob Dylan.

738329253561.jpg

cadavra

Second Unit
Real Name
mike schlesinger
It may be that Martin didn’t feel he had anything to say he hadn’t said before. The Jerk was his first starring feature film and I think he wrote it so he may have felt more obligated. I appreciate that kino tried. Sometimes that’s all you can do with older stars who don’t need the attention.

To use an old expression, Steve packs a tight suitcase. He generally doesn't like talking about his films at any length. As noted, he probably did THE JERK as a self-induced obligation.

Two stories: I saw PLAID at an early screening at Universal. I was sitting next to a woman who was utterly confused by the film and kept asking me to explain things to her. I assumed she was just somebody's secretary, but it turned out she was not only a producer but an Emmy-winning one at that. I thought, "This may be why TV has gotten so bad."

Once I asked Carl if he was intentionally imitating Otto Preminger and he confirmed that. Alas, I forgot to ask him if Otto ever saw it and if so, what he thought of it!

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Coming September 7th from CODE RED!
Distributed by Kino Lorber!

Death Ring (1992)
• Brand New 2K Master
• Theatrical Trailer

Color 91 Minutes 1.78:1 Rated R
NORRIS! McQUEEN! SWAYZE! A NEW GENERATION OF ACTION STARS! It’s the roughest manhunt ever when the screen’s greatest action stars join forces in this grueling battle to the death. When ex-Special Forces agent Matt Collins (Mike Norris, Delta Force 3: The Killing Game) wins a survivalist competition, he becomes “the toughest man alive”—perfect fodder for perverse millionaire Danton Vachs (Billy Drago, The Untouchables), whose annual manhunt attracts the most vicious killers in the world. As the diabolical competition begins, Collins, ‘Skylord’ Harris (Chad McQueen, The Karate Kid) and John Blackwell (Don Swayze, The Tracker) must kill their attackers one by one… or be added to their fatal list of prey. Directed by R.J. Kizer (Hell Comes to Frogtown) and co-starring Branscombe Richmond (Hard to Kill).

738329255787.jpg

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Coming September 28th!

Seven Days… Seven Nights (1960) Moderato Cantabile
• NEW Audio Commentary by Filmmaker/Historian Daniel Kremer
• Trailers
• In French with Optional English Subtitles

B&W 91 Minutes 2.35:1 Not Rated
Screen legends Jeanne Moreau (Jules and Jim, The Train) and Jean-Paul Belmondo (Le Doulos, Le Magnifique) star in this mesmerizing drama from the brilliant mind of Marguerite Duras (Hiroshima Mon Amour, India Song). Moreau, who won the award for Best Actress at the 1960 Cannes Film Festival, is Anne Desbarèdes, a wealthy, bored housewife who believes she has witnessed a murder in a quayside bistro. Rushing to the scene of the crime, she strikes up a conversation with Chauvin (Belmondo), an employee of her husband who also saw the crime. The troubled woman continues to return to the café, increasingly identifying herself with the murder victim and becoming obsessed with Chauvin. Director Peter Brook (Lord of the Flies, Marat/Sade) and cinematographer Armand Thirard (The Wages of Fear, Diabolique) create repetitive patterns of sound and image that reflect Anne’s frustration with the “moderato cantabile” nature of her life and the absence of true passion that draws her inexorably to the café and Chauvin.

738329255527.jpg

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
Coming September 28th!

Seven Days… Seven Nights (1960) Moderato Cantabile
• NEW Audio Commentary by Filmmaker/Historian Daniel Kremer
• Trailers

B&W 91 Minutes 2.35:1 Not Rated
Screen legends Jeanne Moreau (Jules and Jim, The Train) and Jean-Paul Belmondo (Le Doulos, Le Magnifique) star in this mesmerizing drama from the brilliant mind of Marguerite Duras (Hiroshima Mon Amour, India Song). Moreau, who won the award for Best Actress at the 1960 Cannes Film Festival, is Anne Desbarèdes, a wealthy, bored housewife who believes she has witnessed a murder in a quayside bistro. Rushing to the scene of the crime, she strikes up a conversation with Chauvin (Belmondo), an employee of her husband who also saw the crime. The troubled woman continues to return to the café, increasingly identifying herself with the murder victim and becoming obsessed with Chauvin. Director Peter Brook (Lord of the Flies, Marat/Sade) and cinematographer Armand Thirard (The Wages of Fear, Diabolique) create repetitive patterns of sound and image that reflect Anne’s frustration with the “moderato cantabile” nature of her life and the absence of true passion that draws her inexorably to the café and Chauvin.

View attachment 100635
I don't think I've ever seen it referred to by that title, it's always been Moderato Cantabile. Anyway, an excellent film and I'll be glad to retire my German DVD.

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
I don't think I've ever seen it referred to by that title, it's always been Moderato Cantabile. Anyway, an excellent film and I'll be glad to retire my German DVD.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
That's true for me as well. Maybe you had to have been around in 1960 when the film opened, reviewed as Moderato cantabile. I truly had never heard it called otherwise till today.

lark144

Premium
Real Name
mark gross
That's true for me as well. Maybe you had to have been around in 1960 when the film opened, reviewed as Moderato cantabile. I truly had never heard it called otherwise till today.
The first time I ever heard of it was in Godard's "A Woman is a Woman" where Belmondo is sitting in a bar and Jeanne Moreau passes by. She stops and looks at Belmondo. "Comment allez vous?" he says. "Moderato Cantabile" , she answers.

Kino Lorber Insider

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Insider
Coming September 28th!

The Hunter Will Get You (1976) L'Apagueur
• NEW Audio Commentary by Film Historians Howard S. Berger, Steve Mitchell and Nathaniel Thompson
• Interview with Writer/Director Philippe Labro
• Theatrical Trailer

Color 105 Minutes 1.66:1 Not Rated
Screen legend Jean-Paul Belmondo (Le Professionnel, Le Doulos) is “L’Alpagueur,” a tough-as-nails mercenary named Roger Pilard who does what the police are unable to do—for a price, of course. After busting a drug-trafficking ring in Rotterdam, Pilard is put on the trail of “L’Épervier” (“The Hawk”), a ruthless thief who employs petty criminals to help him rob banks and then murders them. One of these criminals narrowly escapes death, but is captured and put in prison. Pilard, adopting a false identity, arranges to be placed in the same cell. There he learns how to track down “The Hawk,” who, in the meantime, has carried out a final act of vengeance. Will the hunter get his hawk? Bruno Cremer (The French Conspiracy, Sorcerer) also stars in this explosive French crime thriller from director Philippe Labro (Without Apparent Motive, The Inheritor). Two of the film's best features are the beautiful cinematography by Jean Penzer (Buffet Froid, The Night Caller) and the original musical score by Michel Colombier (Against All Odds, Cop). Special appearance by screen goddess Laura Antonelli (Malicious, Devil in the Flesh).

738329255763.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clerk13
Recent bookmarks